PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Food

Kodiak
22-Sep-09, 18:01
Mrs Kodiak and I have been watching the Hairy Bikers on TV going around the UK cooking different Regional Dishes.

This got us thinking, What is the Dish that represents Caithness. After a long discussion we were undecided so I thought all you out there in Org-Land would be the best people to ask.

So what would you all say would be the Very Best Dish to represent Caithness?

Gizmo
22-Sep-09, 18:05
So what would you all say would be the Very Best Dish to represent Caithness?

Double Vodka & Coke :D

davie
22-Sep-09, 18:07
Tatties and Herring

brandy
22-Sep-09, 18:12
i would say mince tatties and neeps, just from my outside experiance..

redeyedtreefrog
22-Sep-09, 18:29
Mince and tatties. I don't like mince and tatties, but still. Or maybe scotch pies. Or, most likely, Old Pultney.

Fluff
22-Sep-09, 18:35
Johnson's pies, or a red pudding supper! (or my mum's roast beef dinner, yummy)

lister
22-Sep-09, 18:45
Johnson's pies, or a red pudding supper! (or my mum's roast beef dinner, yummy)

Johnstones pies are terribly grey and very little meat its all pastry and where at nite(in wick )can ye get a red supper ..they all close early ?? the one on the street ,Pit Stop ,seems til close for lunch and dinner ???

To answer the Q its Mince n tatties or herring n tatties,all locally produced.

glenniepup
22-Sep-09, 18:47
Caithness roast beef, Groats tatties,neep,cauliflour washed doon wa Old Pultney. Hows that for a belly raxer!

lister
22-Sep-09, 18:50
Caithness roast beef, Groats tatties,neep,cauliflour washed doon wa Old Pultney. Hows that for a belly raxer!

Perfect..thats what i call food..
As you say,just left oot one thing,,,in front o an open fire wi no crap telly,just good quality conversation..I'm in..

_Ju_
22-Sep-09, 19:00
For my son and I, caithness grub will always be a fish supper.

Sandra_B
22-Sep-09, 19:01
A nice poached salmon...

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Sep-09, 19:03
aye red pudding supper from robins.............

Kathy@watten
22-Sep-09, 19:08
Has to be lamb, beef or fish what with these being readily available locally with Caithness housing the best of Scottish meat production and having fine trout fishing. Also I can taste the difference and have done the Highland show taste challenge and found our local honey by taste every time....got to be the best!

butterfly
22-Sep-09, 19:26
Tattie soup and clapshot n ham end,yummy.

shamrock2007
22-Sep-09, 19:57
Caithness Beef & Groats Tatties :)

upolian
22-Sep-09, 20:01
Double Vodka & Coke :D

ive got to agree with that[lol]

George Brims
22-Sep-09, 20:36
A nice poached salmon...
Just don't get caught poaching it.

achingale
23-Sep-09, 10:40
I suppose it would have to be a dish including herring. Maybe a herring pie with a Groats Tatties topping, served with local veg, followed by local fruit crumble and cream, all washed down with Old Pulteney. I am making myself hungry here.

The Angel Of Death
23-Sep-09, 10:57
Isnt the current caithness main meal not the chinese or local indian ?

lorr_mun14
23-Sep-09, 11:01
I always used to associate Caithness (Thurso) with the best steak in the world, aka the Upper Deck! it was famous for it's steaks, not so sure it is anymore! shame!

trinkie
23-Sep-09, 11:24
Dried cod with mealy tatties dripping in butter.
Clootie Duff.
Potted heid.
Potted herring.

All served with a glass of cool clear Caithness water.

Kodiak
23-Sep-09, 13:06
Dried cod with mealy tatties dripping in butter.
Clootie Duff.
Potted heid.
Potted herring.

All served with a glass of cool clear Caithness water.

Now that is what you call a real treat for a menu, YUM !! :D

George Brims
23-Sep-09, 20:37
Here's a question - who likes their tatties "mealy" and who likes them to have a smoother texture? Personally I hate tatties that are "mealy" or "floury".

chef4celebrations
24-Sep-09, 13:33
how about a seafood pie
mussels, scallops, salmon, herring, prawn, all locally caught.
a sauce made from local cream, and a topping of mealy mash tattie, from don at J o'G,
then a sprinckle of grated mustard cheese from caithness cheese,
and baked

served with local veg of the season

and cranachen for desert

chef4celebrations
24-Sep-09, 13:41
aye red pudding supper from robins.............

i thought it was suppose to be caithness food not elgin where the red puddings come from

Sandra_B
24-Sep-09, 16:35
Here's a question - who likes their tatties "mealy" and who likes them to have a smoother texture? Personally I hate tatties that are "mealy" or "floury".

I loathe the mealy ones too. We had to have them all the time when I was growing up because that was Dad's favourite. Yech!!

Sandra_B
24-Sep-09, 16:36
Did no-one mention venison?

David Banks
24-Sep-09, 17:45
Stovies..........

ryrie
30-Sep-09, 22:11
best thing in the world is local minced beef, tatties, neep, and dough boys!! yum yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

George Brims
01-Oct-09, 18:32
I always used to associate Caithness (Thurso) with the best steak in the world, aka the Upper Deck! it was famous for it's steaks, not so sure it is anymore! shame!
I was in the Upper Deck about 4 years ago. I had salmon with new tatties. It was wonderful. I hope the place is still as good.

davlaurjen
02-Oct-09, 00:25
Glad to hear Caithness Cheese is still on the go.Can you still get Caithness Ice Cream?

teddybear1873
02-Oct-09, 03:08
Groats tatties and butter

Iggie in a cup

Treacle scones

Rhubarb crumble

Treacle scones