PDA

View Full Version : Copy DVd's

Mr P Cannop
07-Jan-04, 07:05
does any know how to copy dvd's ?? if so what do i need to do to copy dvd's ??

jjc
07-Jan-04, 10:18
does any know how to copy dvd's ?? if so what do i need to do to copy dvd's ??

If by DVDs you mean shop-bought films then it's illegal to copy them

If you mean 4GB data disks (with things like Word documents, spreadsheets, etc. on them) then you need a DVD drive and a DVD writer in your PC. They work exactly the same way as CD writers, usually with the same software too. A DVD rewriter will set you back a couple of hundred pounds.

zagor
07-Jan-04, 13:28
It is possible to buy a decent DVD rewriter for under £100.
Try sites like www.ebuyer.co.uk and bigpockets I think the address is www.bigpockets.com.
If you really want to back up your dvd films then there is free software available. Try some of the various technical help sites which are around they often provide the links

jjc
07-Jan-04, 13:57
If you really want to back up your dvd films...

Yep, that's why people copy DVD films :roll:

Mr P Cannop
07-Jan-04, 14:09
i do have dvd stuff in computer to copy but i don't know what the name of the prog used to copy dvds ??

A_Usher
07-Jan-04, 14:53
Hi,
Pc world at the moment are selling a 4 speed DVD +r -r burner for around £79.99. You can get the liteon 8 speed, which I have found to be a great little burner for around £120.

As for backing up DVD's then it is worth noting that commercial DVD's have copy protection on them, and would require stripping, using a program like DVD Decryptor which will remove macro vision and other systems, providing vob files which assuming are not larger than the dvd media can be burnt using programs such as nero burning rom.
On the whole you will not be able to copy them directly on a 1:1 basis unless the DVD has no protection methods on it.

Also, many commercial DVD's are dual layered, and too big to fit onto a standard dvd- r or dvd +r.

Also worth considering is the legal aspects of copying a disk and the issues which surrounds copyright. Copying a DVD may mean you are breaching this, and can result if caught in a fine or worse. As someone who has a newly formed DVD production company there is nothing worse than copyright infringement.

Regards,
Andrew Usher
www.andrewusher.com

RIR
08-Jan-04, 13:23
Freeware: http://www.dvdshrink.org

mysophales
08-Jan-04, 14:55
As someone who has a newly formed DVD production company there is nothing worse than copyright infringement.

Regards,
Andrew Usher
www.andrewusher.com

I currently own over 650 VHS video tapes
All films, as the owner of these tapes
is it still illegal for me to backup to dvd
as the life expectancy of tapes i believe is only
12 ~ 15 years

A_Usher
09-Jan-04, 16:29
Wow,
Thats a large video collection. In order for you legally to convert your tapes to DVD then you would require permission from the copyright holder. I am assuming that your movies are copyright held by film companies and in those cases it is very unlikely they would allow you to do so, as the obviously will make money from releasing DVD's themselves.

So in essence it would be illegal to transfer them unless you had permission from the company or copyright holder to do so. Obviously home movies etc are a different matter.

Hope that helps,

Andrew Usher
www.andrewusher.com

mysophales
09-Jan-04, 16:54
Thanks for the Reply Andrew

I did think it would still be illegal
but even reading the copyright rules
doesn't make it clear
as it's probably supposed to be. lol

Donnie
09-Jan-04, 17:08
Does it really matter? Aslong as you are recording your own tapes on to your own dvd's for your own viewing pleasure I don't think it's hurting anyone. DVD's are so over priced I think we know who the real criminals are.

A_Usher
09-Jan-04, 17:24
Hi,
I do think it matters in cases of mass piracy, yes, and this is an interesting debate and one that the major producers use a case for increasing DVD prices.

However for home use i don't think it matters as much, and i would doubt very much that anyone would come knocking on your door with a warrant for your arrest. However from a legal point of view it is regarded as copyright infringement, but i would imagine companies are more interested in counterfeits and piracy rings than an individual making backups, although don’t take my word for that. :D

Andrew.

Donnie
09-Jan-04, 17:44
Aslong as you are backing up your own tapes for your own use I dont see any problem with it. It's one of those laws that never has any action taken. Like the fact that it's illegal to go in to a licenced premises while drunk. Skinz would be in some major trouble if action was taken for that one.

Tc4
14-Jan-04, 15:36
You can back up vhs dvd cds etc, As long as you have a original copy!

You have always been allowed to make backups for personal use, its illegal to make copys to sell or if you then get rid of the original you should then get rid of the backup aswell.

But as long as you own the original then you can back the data up in anyway you want.

Regards

Tc4

jjc
14-Jan-04, 23:57
You can back up vhs dvd cds etc, As long as you have a original copy!

But as long as you own the original then you can back the data up in anyway you want.
No. That's a common misunderstanding.

In the US there is a ‘fair use’ clause (it has something to do with the 1st Amendment) in the copyright law that allows for copies to be made for backups as long as you own the original. We do not have such a clause in our law.

The following is from the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988:

17.—(1) The copying of the work is an act restricted by the copyright in every description of copyright work; and references in this Part to copying and copies shall be construed as follows.

(2) Copying in relation to a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work means reproducing the work in any material form.

This includes storing the work in any medium by electronic means.

There’s not really much room for manoeuvre there, is there?

In addition, it is also a breach of copyright law to make available the means to circumvent copy protection. This is from the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003:

Circumvention of protection measures
296 Circumvention of technical devices applied to computer programs

(1) This section applies where -
(a) a technical device has been applied to a computer program; and

(b) a person (A) knowing or having reason to believe that it will be used to make infringing copies -
(i) manufactures for sale or hire, imports, distributes, sells or lets for hire, offers or exposes for sale or hire, advertises for sale or hire or has in his possession for commercial purposes any means the sole intended purpose of which is to facilitate the unauthorised removal or circumvention of the technical device; or

(ii) publishes information intended to enable or assist persons to remove or circumvent the technical device.

(2) The following persons have the same rights against A as a copyright owner has in respect of an infringement of copyright -

If you do a search for “copyright 321” you will find details of a forthcoming court case involving Warner Home Video and 321 Studios. 321 Studios develop DVD copying software and WHV are trying to block the sale on the grounds that the law prevents the removal of copy protection.

There was talk a few months ago about a challenge to all of this on the basis of (surprise surprise) the Human Rights Act, but I don't know if anything came of it... so, in short, be careful because the UK doesn't provide for making backups.