PDA

View Full Version : Windows Activation

Kevin Milkins
20-Sep-09, 18:46
Hi, I need a bit of technical help please.

I bought a second hand laptop, (six months old) and it's loaded with Windows Home Premium. When I switch it on it's asking me to buy a new product key and gives me the option to activate now or later. When the computer was bought new I am told it was preloaded with vista, does this mean you have to pay to update from time to time.

I have heard a lot of people moan about Vista and say it’s the work of the devil, but I cut my teeth on 98 and XP and it’s getting on my tits a bit now.

Regards KM

Any advice gratefully received.

EDDIE
20-Sep-09, 19:08
All u can do is phone up microsoft support and get it reactivated have u not got a sticker underneath the laptop with the product key.

Kevin Milkins
21-Sep-09, 00:12
All u can do is phone up microsoft support and get it reactivated have u not got a sticker underneath the laptop with the product key.

Thank you EDDIE, I never thought of looking underneath. I will have a crack at that tomorrrow.

Regards KM.

Kevin Milkins
22-Sep-09, 00:25
When I had a look under the computer I realised that was what I had done when I bought it about a month, as I have that product key written on a bit of paper.:(

I have had several goes at trying to resolve this issue and it has had me going around in circles, so much so, I became convinced Microsoft had conspired to either make me have a nervous breakdown or cough up £67-00 for a new product key.:mad:

I was at the junction of launching the laptop out of the upstairs window, when I thought I would check the number on the bottom of the laptop one more time using a magnifying glass.
You guessed it, I was one digit out and although I feel a right fool now, a very small twenty five digit alpha, numerical product key on the bottom of a laptop does present its problems for a short sighted dyslexic.:confused

Connor.
22-Sep-09, 12:37
Silly billy :)