PDA

View Full Version : eBay users

JAWS
20-Sep-09, 05:22
A word of warning for eBay users. I have just had an email allegedly from eBay to the following effect
"eBay member, has indicated that they already paid for #160339521812."

The email looks genuine but there is only one small problem, I can't remember when I last got anything from eBay it is so long ago. There is the usual link provided for people to check for the details, which I haven't tried for obvious reasons.

I would suggest that any regular users who get such an email check to ensure that any reference number they get actually refers to an item they have been involved with before doing anything with the email.

It might just be a genuine email of some kind which I have recieved by mistake but I am certainly not using the email to find out. I would suggest others do the same as me and treat such an email as a probable scam, at least until they are certain otherwise.

sandy01
20-Sep-09, 08:58
Send/forward it to spoof@ebay.com and let them deal with it, I've had several even on addresses that are not used for ebay. You will get replys from ebay.

Kenn
20-Sep-09, 10:25
There's a very simple way, all emails and notifications from ebay will appear on your account and should be dealt with there NOT through your inbox.
I delete anything that arrives in my ordinary mail box puporting to come from them as have had several scam ones arrive over the years.

joxville
20-Sep-09, 10:29
I get those scam emails purportedly from eBay and Paypal several times per week. I just ignore and delete them because I've not used eBay for many months.

JAWS
20-Sep-09, 12:45
Thanks for that. I've had plenty supposedly from banks but it's the first time I've come across the eBay one.
Provided it is something people are well aware of I'm happy.

Gleber2
20-Sep-09, 13:26
Thanks for that. I've had plenty supposedly from banks but it's the first time I've come across the eBay one.
Provided it is something people are well aware of I'm happy.
Genuine Emails from Ebay always contain your user name.

changilass
20-Sep-09, 13:38
Problem is G2, so do some of the scam ones now grr, the beggers are getting better at it all the time.

upolian
20-Sep-09, 13:41
personally i deal with scotads as i can go see items before i buy,ebay etc is dodgy as is paypal...have never dealt with these crooks and never will

teenybash
20-Sep-09, 13:45
I send the lot to spoof@ and if I buy anything never pay through the email, always through Ebay website..........

joxville
20-Sep-09, 13:51
eBay can be as dodgy as buying things face to face but, as in all transactions where you are parting with your cash, you have to be careful and keep a record of all info. I've bought and sold many things through eBay, my largest purchase being a car for £3400, but I thoroughly checked out the seller before parting with the cash. As Gleeber2 pointed out emails from eBay always have your name attached, I've never had a scam email with my name attached.

My message is this: keep careful records of all your transactions.

twiglet
20-Sep-09, 18:52
I've had spoof emails from ebay too. If it really is a message from ebay, there will be a duplicate on your ebay account. I also have one bank account that I keep purely for ebay sales/purchases. It makes it easier to keep track of movement.

Send it to the spoof email address and they do deal with it. It is in their interests to deal with it asap and they also sent me a message to let me know that they prosecuted the persons responsible for the phishing emails. Never click on any links in the phishing emails.

ShelleyCowie
20-Sep-09, 23:22
Im always getting emails from ebay! Just delete em all!

I buy quite alot from there. A few of Athruns birthday presents are coming from there, he seems to have taken a shining to "Pocoyo" and ebay has more pocoyo stuff there.

Will continue to delete emails from ebay!