PDA

View Full Version : Hold The Front Page !!

greenasiamcabbagelooking
20-Sep-09, 04:15
what a non-story that was about the bride who very nearly didn't get a dress but then did in Friday's Groat

is Caithness so devoid of stories that the Groat can dedicate almost half of page 3 to this crisis ?!

(for those who are wondering, thankfully, she appeared to get happily married -see page 8 )

viking
20-Sep-09, 09:24
I must admit I thought it was a strange choice of story for Page 3, more suited to a red top possibly! Perhaps there's been a change of editor at the paper. I hope the couple had a lovely day anyway, and it does remind folk to be wary about parting with large amounts of money upfront.
TBH my big bugbear with the Groat is that Motor supplement. What a complete waste of paper. It goes straight into the recycling.

BINBOB
20-Sep-09, 09:52
Have to agree.........what a state about nothing...........pathetic.;)

PantsMAN
20-Sep-09, 10:51
Ah, but was the sub-story not about the trader?

Leanne
20-Sep-09, 10:55
I'm loving living in an area with nothing much going on considered "newsworthy". Much nicer than the dramas that occur in Manchester ;)

Kevin Milkins
20-Sep-09, 11:05
I'm loving living in an area with nothing much going on considered "newsworthy". Much nicer than the dramas that occur in Manchester ;)

I thought it was a brilliant news release a few weeks back, that the police were investigating a coke relatated crime.:eek:

Some very bad person had thrown a can out of a car window. It does help me sleep well at night.:Razz

balto
20-Sep-09, 11:52
must say i thought this was a bit strange for a story like this to be a major story in the groat, either all the criminals are behaving or we are all a bit boring lol. glad to see she got married in the end despite the problems.

Mik.M.
20-Sep-09, 12:18
When we tell friends back down south about the stories that appear in the local papers they all laugh and say if only it were that trivial down there.The Groat & Caithness Courier,bringing you the BIG stories as they happen. Sky News,BBC,News International,CNN,watch out!:lol:

im behind you
20-Sep-09, 14:37
When we tell friends back down south about the stories that appear in the local papers they all laugh and say if only it were that trivial down there.The Groat & Caithness Courier,bringing you the BIG stories as they happen. Sky News,BBC,News International,CNN,watch out!:lol:
why would you be telling friends down SOUTH on what goes on up here i would think it would have no intrest to them as they would not know who you are talking about if your storys are to be laughed at then so be it sorry for being boring

katarina
20-Sep-09, 14:57
Well I for one am glad that our boring lifestyle is not spiced up with murders, abductions etc. In fact the local papers are the only ones I read. the others just depress me too much!

joxville
20-Sep-09, 15:15
what a non-story that was about the bride who very nearly didn't get a dress but then did in Friday's Groat

is Caithness so devoid of stories that the Groat can dedicate almost half of page 3 to this crisis ?!

(for those who are wondering, thankfully, she appeared to get happily married -see page 8 )

How ridiculous :roll:. There was a time when you picked up a paper and could be guaranteed the girl on page 3 was naked, what has the world come to when the Page 3 bird is clothed? ;)

poppett
20-Sep-09, 18:26
I don`t usually buy the local papers, just have a quick look at my friend`s copy before it goes to the recycling, but I bought one on Friday because the handsome solidier on the front page banner is Bobandag16 ....aka....my dad.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Sep-09, 20:00
How ridiculous :roll:. There was a time when you picked up a paper and could be guaranteed the girl on page 3 was naked, what has the world come to when the Page 3 bird is clothed? ;)

But the story is about the fact she was almost going to be naked...........doesnt that count ? ;)

joxville
20-Sep-09, 20:08
But the story is about the fact she was almost going to be naked...........doesnt that count ? ;)

Nope, it's all or (preferably) nothing in my book paper. :D

bobbyrussell09
20-Sep-09, 20:12
I didnt find anything wrong with this story being as big as it was an also where in the paper it was ,i find the groat never has any good content anymore.Would you have rathered have read about people up in court

Gizmo
20-Sep-09, 20:14
Would you have rathered have read about people up in court

[Adopts Churchill the dog style]....Ohhh yes :D

bobbyrussell09
20-Sep-09, 20:18
Also i think theres a wee bit more to the situation than what was in the paper

Gizmo
20-Sep-09, 20:45
Also i think theres a wee bit more to the situation than what was in the paper

Is there a conspiracy?...i hope so, i love a good conspiracy :D

bobbyrussell09
20-Sep-09, 21:45
well i know a bit more but cant really say ,dont want to start things and get infractions on me

PantsMAN
20-Sep-09, 22:47
I believe I alluded to that in a previous post in this thread.

Someone was 'unavailable for comment'!!! ;)

The Angel Of Death
21-Sep-09, 09:22
Lets just put it this way i am suprised there was just the one person in that article with issues i know of a couple in the same situation but thats another story for another day etc

George
21-Sep-09, 12:26
If it's naked women you want then buy the Star, not the Groat,
And if it's more serious stories you want then move South!
What's pathetic Binbob is the time you've wasted to gripe on here just because some girl wanted to warn other's about dodgy traders and fraud that does actually take place in the town........
God forbid it should ever happen to one of you!

scotsboy
21-Sep-09, 14:02
It seems a reasonable story for a local newspaper to cover, in fact broadening the scope itt is the kind of thing the Sunday Post used to be full of.

LMS
21-Sep-09, 14:05
From my own perspective, it was an interesting enough story - you can't expect or wouldn't want anything else in Caithness. However, what utter trock was written about taking time of work and the husband having to come home to support her. Put it into perspective, it's only a frock at the end of the day! Admittingly, an expensive frock but still just a frock, not life or death. Could just be journalistic licence though.

BINBOB
21-Sep-09, 16:23
If it's naked women you want then buy the Star, not the Groat,
And if it's more serious stories you want then move South!
What's pathetic Binbob is the time you've wasted to gripe on here just because some girl wanted to warn other's about dodgy traders and fraud that does actually take place in the town........
God forbid it should ever happen to one of you!
EEEEK.......................................:roll:

BINBOB
21-Sep-09, 16:24
From my own perspective, it was an interesting enough story - you can't expect or wouldn't want anything else in Caithness. However, what utter trock was written about taking time of work and the husband having to come home to support her. Put it into perspective, it's only a frock at the end of the day! Admittingly, an expensive frock but still just a frock, not life or death. Could just be journalistic licence though.

my thoughts as well............pathetic.;)

Ash
21-Sep-09, 16:25

I am in the process of organising my wedding, and IMO it isn't just a frock, for some people it's a big deal and i am soo glad the day i went through to that shop it was closed and i didnt get my dress for there

skinnydog
21-Sep-09, 19:43
I have to say that it was the funniest story I have read in a long time, if it wasn't September I would have sworn it was an April fool. She lost two stone, had to take time off her work, he came home from offshore to support her. Jees o - pity help them when they have a real drama to contend with. Well worth the pages it was written on!!!

crayola
22-Sep-09, 00:23
The wedding dress story didn't hold the attention of a twice-divorced cynic. There was something sillier to laugh at....

Stone vows to continue fight over constituency changes (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7231/Stone_vows_to_continue_fight_over_constituency_cha nges.html)
By Duncan Ross
Published: 18 September, 2009
LOCAL MSP Jamie Stone this week vowed to continue his fight against plans to add Wester Ross to his already huge constituency.

The Boundary Commission for Scotland is proposing three new Highland constituencies – Caithness, Sutherland and Ross (electorate 55,690); Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch (56,470); and Inverness and Nairn (61,600).

If approved, the plans would create a vast constituency in the North, covering about half of the Highlands. It has been calculated it would take nearly seven hours to drive from Lochcarron at one end of it to John O'Groats at the other, a distance of about 230 miles – further than from London to Liverpool.Calculated by whom? Someone who has never driven it? I could do it in under three hours on a quiet day and three and a half would be fairly relaxed driving on any day.

Does Duncan Ross drive a tractor or does he like to take the long way round?

AfternoonDelight
22-Sep-09, 11:05
The wedding dress story didn't hold the attention of a twice-divorced cynic. There was something sillier to laugh at....
Calculated by whom? Someone who has never driven it? I could do it in under three hours on a quiet day and three and a half would be fairly relaxed driving on any day.

[lol][lol][lol]

lorry
22-Sep-09, 12:14
i'm with sknny dog - absolutedly hilarious!

davie
22-Sep-09, 13:45
The mileage calculation was by Jamie Stone.Of course he has to stop at every pub en route and also at every public toilet he has declared open in the past (thats a lot of stops).

According to Dougal Earth the distance is 160 miles by the direct route.

joxville
22-Sep-09, 14:20
The wedding dress story didn't hold the attention of a twice-divorced old cynic. There was something sillier to laugh at....
Calculated by whom? Someone who has never driven it? I could do it in under three hours on a quiet day and three and a half would be fairly relaxed driving on any day.

Yev missed oot a word so I added it fer ye.;)

joxville
22-Sep-09, 14:24
I have to say that it was the funniest story I have read in a long time, if it wasn't September I would have sworn it was an April fool. She lost two stone, had to take time off her work, he came home from offshore to support her. Jees o - pity help them when they have a real drama to contend with. Well worth the pages it was written on!!!
She lost 2 stone?? :eek:......almost every bride tries to lose weight for their wedding so she should be thanking the shop owner. :roll:

Also the dress should have been cheaper. :)

Gizmo
22-Sep-09, 14:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
The wedding dress story didn't hold the attention of a twice-divorced wrinkled old cynic. There was something sillier to laugh at....

Yev missed oot a word so I added it fer ye.;)

You missed another one out Jox :p

AfternoonDelight
22-Sep-09, 14:41
I have a feeling she's going to have two words for you! ;)

joxville
22-Sep-09, 14:53
I have it on good authority that Afternoon Delight is the younger and more beautiful sister of Crayola. :D

PS Is there a Cinderalla panto on at Xmas? ;)

S&LHEN
22-Sep-09, 16:06
I think the story was a good one and I completely understand why the woman would have lost so much weight and would have been so stressed.
A wedding is an important thing specially to women and so much times goes into the planning of it etc, the main part is the dress and to have it planned and then for a tatty pre used dress to arrive would be pretty upsetting.
I looked into dresses from that shop before and im still waiting for the lady to phone and thats a year ago!!
I think its disgusting that what at the time there this the only wedding dress shop in Wick and to be completely honest its a total shambles and obviously dont have a clue what their doing. Hence probably why her last shop got closed down.
So I completely sympathise with the lady in the paper who never got her dress till she bypassed the lady that runs the shop.
You would never understand how stressful it really is intil your in that situation.
Im just glad she managed to get a dress and they looked like a lovely happy couple on the wedding page.

I just love happy endings:lol:

BRIE
22-Sep-09, 16:28
I thought the story was hilarious!:lol:
the bride ended up with 2 dresses for her big day & she wasnt happy with either:eek:
she lost 2 stone had to take time of work due to stress & her fiance had to come back from offshore to support her! is this for real?? Im not buying it myself.
It said that the shop owner gave her the number for a seamstress & offered her a refund so what was the point of it being in the paper??
I wonder if I will be in the paper next week for taking my faulty kettle back to tesco, yes it caused me so much stress I didnt drink tea for a week!! [lol]

LMS
22-Sep-09, 16:45
A wedding is an important thing specially to women and so much times goes into the planning of it etc, the main part is the dress and to have it planned and then for a tatty pre used dress to arrive would be pretty upsetting.

I always thought the main part of a wedding was getting married to your beloved?!?

Sandra_B
22-Sep-09, 16:56
You have to wonder how she'll handle real problems.

flatbattery
22-Sep-09, 16:57
“Pledge given on Dounreay jobs future” was the title on the front page of this weeks John o’ Groat Journal, who is giving this pledge?, it surely can’t be the same people who have just announced that they are not to renew the safety surveillance contract at the Prototype Fast Reactor with a loss of 16 jobs. Should we be concerned that they are to get rid of the night watchmen?

S&LHEN
22-Sep-09, 17:01
Im sure you knew I ment the preperations!
No need to be so flippent. Im only having my opinion of the story.

I always thought the main part of a wedding was getting married to your beloved?!?

Margaret M.
22-Sep-09, 19:05
It sounds like that business needed to be closed down. However, I have been to countless weddings and I would be hard pressed to describe the dress worn by any of the brides so it's probably not as important to the day as some think.

We need a sense of humour in everything we do in life and even more so on our wedding day. If things go wrong, laugh and make the most of it. Life after the wedding day is seldom perfect so why make so much fuss about having everything just so on that day?

I would be wondering where I went wrong as a parent, if my daughter fretted so, lost 2 sts. and needed her betrothed to miss work to come home and comfort her....... because of a glitch with a dress. Pity help them when a real life challenge presents itself.

munron
22-Sep-09, 20:07
I was in my joggers when the photographer arrived, I got in said dress in about two minutes. I ripped it going up the steps of the registrars and flung my shoes off in favour of slippers, then trainers for the dance. The tiara shortly followed suit. I could not have given two hoots although I certainly could of done with loosing two stone.

Where is said dress, well squashed into a bag at the top of the wardrobe and still in need of a wash.

crayola
22-Sep-09, 23:28
The mileage calculation was by Jamie Stone.Of course he has to stop at every pub en route and also at every public toilet he has declared open in the past (thats a lot of stops).Like a dog cocking its leg to mark its territory?

I have it on good authority that Afternoon Delight is the younger and more beautiful sister of Crayola. :D

PS Is there a Cinderalla panto on at Xmas? ;)Indeed there is. I shall play Cinders and Old Jox and Wrinkly Giz shall be the lasciviously orgly sisters. Sadly, there shall be no Afternoon Delight at our matinee performances as this is not permitted on the Org and anyways it might stain the sample dress. :(

joxville
23-Sep-09, 05:39
Indeed there is. I shall play Cinders and Old Jox and Wrinkly Giz shall be the lasciviously orgly sisters. Sadly, there shall be no Afternoon Delight at our matinee performances as this is not permitted on the Org and anyways it might stain the sample dress. :(

Goddamit, I never thought that one out properly, did I?:roll:

:D

AfternoonDelight
23-Sep-09, 14:04
I promise I'll be good!! :(

joxville
23-Sep-09, 14:38
I promise I'll be good!! :(
Oooh, I'd rather you were naughty-very,very naughty. ;)

AfternoonDelight
24-Sep-09, 12:24
Oooh, I'd rather you were naughty-very,very naughty. ;)

[lol][lol]