PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS help

~~Tides~~
20-Sep-09, 01:35
I own an EOS400D, and have done since March. I love this camera so much and we've had some good good times since we first got together, and worked perfectly together.

However, a couple of things have just this week started to go wrong, minor sounding but actually quite a problem. The first is that when I press the AV button and move the wheel to change the exposure compensation or aperture value, the pointer on the screen doesn’t move. Which is really annoying as sometimes I think the physical value does change and sometimes it does not.

The second thing, today, is that I no longer see the green writing (settings, light meter and focus confirmation dot) when I look through the viewfinder. This is really a problem as I've then no idea what setting I’m taking the photo on. In fact, I see half of it sometimes. I.E. either the light meter, or the shutter speed, but never both at the same time and usually neither.

Has anyone else had problems like these? I don't have a warranty or guarantee as I bought the camera second hand on eBay, although in perfect condition. There’s no way I could afford a new camera, and have had such a good time with this one, so am panicking a little.

Any help would really be greatly appreciated.

Deemac
20-Sep-09, 03:15
Just a few thoughts.

1. try removing the battery, re-inserting and switch on. (make sure its fully charged)

2. Reset to the factory defaults. (via a menu option)

3. also check that you have the latest firmware installed.

~~Tides~~
20-Sep-09, 13:09
Thanks Deemac! Taking the battery out and and putting in a fresh one seemed to do the trick. Strange though because the other one wasn't empty, and now I've put it back in the shooting information is still there. Weird.

Does that just happen now and again, or should I start to worry as things are beginning to play up?

nirofo
20-Sep-09, 16:47
Thanks Deemac! Taking the battery out and and putting in a fresh one seemed to do the trick. Strange though because the other one wasn't empty, and now I've put it back in the shooting information is still there. Weird.

Does that just happen now and again, or should I start to worry as things are beginning to play up?

Could just be a bad connection between the battery and the camera contacts, replacing the battery probably re-made the connection.

nirofo.

Deemac
20-Sep-09, 17:23
I've come accross this issue on a few occasions (2 different EOS cameras), but its only ever happened very, very rarely (once or twice in a couple of years use). As nirofo says probably just a build up of electrical resistance over time. Also worth having a spare battery on tap.

Glad you got it fixed.