PDA

View Full Version : Asda in Thurso

bingo1
05-Apr-06, 22:02
Last year i heard how asda was coming to Thurso but i havent heard anything for a while. Does anyone know if it is still going ahead or has it been rejected. I know that there was alot of bad talk about from a few local business in town as they knew asda would take alot of business from them. I would love asda up here, shouldnt we be entitled to all the benefits the cities get? It would create more jobs and the store sells clothes and cheaper food etc.... :) I think that if more of these cheaper stores come up here people would save money on things we pay a fortune for up here in Caithness.
I went into a clothes shop down town for a pair of ladies black trousers and it cost me £45. In Inverness i would get them for around £15. So i welcome all the new and sod what the expensive shops think.

gersjem
06-Apr-06, 22:12
i heard they have submitted the planning application
not heard any more since like you i hope they do get
the planning permission it would be good for thurso and the public

robby50x
07-Apr-06, 07:52
It was on the news this morning ASDA has won planning permission and is going ahead in Thurso

jay
07-Apr-06, 08:16
It was on the news this morning ASDA has won planning permission and is going ahead in Thurso

the bit I heard on the Moray Firth news was that Asda had won the backing of the Thurso Community council and were one step closer to their application

bingo1
07-Apr-06, 14:18
My father told me that there is an artical in todays local paper saying that they have been given the goahead. oohh i cannot wait.....

bagpuss
07-Apr-06, 23:54
And they sell school uniform in George at Asda, so no excuse for kids turning up without it.

Now does anyone know what the big incentive for all these shops coming up north now is? We've been trekking south to the big shops for years- if they are all on our doorstep, why even bother going to Inverness/Aberdeen/Glasgow/Edinburgh etc. We can all stay here.

Fran
08-Apr-06, 00:28
the planning committee meeting is not until 24th april when Tesco and Asda's planning applications will be considered.....so we will just have to hope and pray till then!!

girnigoe
08-Apr-06, 00:32
I have heard from a reliable source that Tesco have their planning permission and the 24th is just a formality! :grin:

bingo1
08-Apr-06, 22:55
I have heard from a reliable source that Tesco have their planning permission and the 24th is just a formality! :grin:Yes that is correct. They are due to open in the second week of december of this year.:) That means cheaper shopping at christmas for all!!

bingo1
08-Apr-06, 22:57
And they sell school uniform in George at Asda, so no excuse for kids turning up without it.

Now does anyone know what the big incentive for all these shops coming up north now is? We've been trekking south to the big shops for years- if they are all on our doorstep, why even bother going to Inverness/Aberdeen/Glasgow/Edinburgh etc. We can all stay here.
Well thats a good thing is it not? I hate trekking south all the time just for shopping. i hope we get more of these cheaper shops up here.:)

obiron
08-Apr-06, 22:58
def need cheaper xmas shopping. money comes in that month and goes straight out. thou i am organising myself better this year by buying stuff thats in the sales. got a few things for xmas already. and yes i do know its april but when you can get it cheap i just buy it.

bingo1
08-Apr-06, 23:04
def need cheaper xmas shopping. money comes in that month and goes straight out. thou i am organising myself better this year by buying stuff thats in the sales. got a few things for xmas already. and yes i do know its april but when you can get it cheap i just buy it.Well that makes two of us as i have started already aswell! I just have so many people to get for and it costs a fortune so i will be well prepared for this year.

obiron
08-Apr-06, 23:09
thank god someone else has the same idea. you get some funny looks when you mention putting stuff away for xmas. like being organised takes away all the stress in nov/dec.

Billy Boy
08-Apr-06, 23:20
thank god someone else has the same idea. you get some funny looks when you mention putting stuff away for xmas. like being organised takes away all the stress in nov/dec.

I start my xmas shopping in januaray, when i buy a birthday present for someone i get their xmas present at the same time. It takes the stress out of xmas shopping and it easier on my purse at the same time :o)

weefee
09-Apr-06, 11:07
also the joys of internet shopping.....i can't wait.....sod waiting in the queue on a saturday with bored children.....