PDA

View Full Version : Catherine Munro 1791

EmmaClark
19-Sep-09, 14:45
Hi guys,
Can anyone help trace a Death or Burial record?? I'm looking to find out when Catherine Munro, (Nee McLeod) born 1791 in Farr and married to George Munro, died or when/where she may have been buried. She appears on the 1841 census in Stirkoke, Wick but has disapeared by 1851 when George is living in Janetstown. Any help much apreciated as burial records are few and far between on Scotland's People before statutory records began,

Many thanks

Emma.

sgmcgregor
11-Mar-10, 23:24
Emma,

I've not been online for a while and was looking through old postings and noticed no-one had answered you yet.

From what I have found through my research, deaths and burials before the Statutory Index started in 1855, are fairly scant. I was looking through the Dunnet Parochial Board Minute Book recently and there are only very few entries for deaths. They only seem to have been listed as the individuals were on the Poor Register. The Parish Council would provide support to families for various reasons - help them pay rent, buy clothes for children, provide blankets etc.

Apart from the very few burials noted in the book, there are books for Monumental Inscriptions for Caithness. BUT, these only provide details for graves where there are headstones.

I've found that when looking for my family that if they aren't noted in one of the above sources then they are untraceable.

The local Council do hold some records for local cemeteries which list the burial plots, and who is buried in them, but these only start much later - in the early 20th century as a rule.

Hope this helps answer your question, although I realise it won't be what you want to hear. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgable than me will read this and correct me, and help you find what you are looking for:)

Steven McGregor (Thurso, Caithness)