PDA

View Full Version : What do you regret not pursuing?

Kenn
18-Sep-09, 21:06
I was watching The Leeds International Piano Contest tonight and admiring the skill of the young chinese player.
Whilst I know I would never have reached such a standard, I often regret giving up piano tuition in my teens and although never likely to be more than a modest player, I would enjoy being able to sit and rattle off a few tunes or still being able to read sheet music.
About the only thing I can now play are the basic scales but unfortunately is was a case of get on with the academic studies which meant there was not enough hours in the day to do sufficient practice.
Having to make such choices can be a matter of regret in later life..

David Banks
18-Sep-09, 21:29
If I were to allow myself a regret, it would be that I should have come to independant thought earlier in my life.
I am pleased with the amount of music I have had - a few years of violin (still sounding like someone standing on a cat's tail), a little piano, a little singing, and a little classical guitar - not enough to make me a 'real' performer, but plenty to make me appreciate the skills of those who do make music.
And, who knows, I may take up the guitar again, just for fun.

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 21:30
Same with me, I gave up piano when I was about ten and I've regretted it ever since.

squidge
18-Sep-09, 22:33
A degree! Sigh

Rheghead
18-Sep-09, 23:10
A degree! Sigh

Forget about it, it's just worthless piece of paper. You've excelled yersel more than any recognition can do.

Anne x
19-Sep-09, 00:36
Education just wish I had listened to my dad and had "stuck in a bit better "nothing like a good education

joxville
19-Sep-09, 01:04
Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

Metalattakk
19-Sep-09, 02:40
Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

Je ne regret rien...

JAWS
19-Sep-09, 03:06
I decline to answer the question on the grounds it most certainly would incriminate me. Oh, and probably get me killed into the bargain. :lol:
Seriously though, I can't think of anything I regret giving up but there are many things I wish I had tried to do but left it too late.

Squidge, the degree itself is only something which is of use if you need to prove your ability at a subject to somebody else, say an employer. What really matters to you as a person is the knowledge you yourself have gained from your studies, or from life experience, and nobody can ever take that away.

That isn't intended to give the impression that taking a degree is a waste of time just that if you are doing it purely for yourself then the knowledge is what matters rather than the actual bit of paper as Rheghead has correctly pointed out.

sassylass
19-Sep-09, 03:49
Forget about it, it's just worthless piece of paper. You've excelled yersel more than any recognition can do.

Well said.

joxville
19-Sep-09, 10:16
Je ne regret rien...

Erm...........aye. ;)

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-09, 18:52
I regret nothing. If i have done something then it is done, cant change it so no point regretting it. Have a future to think about instead of dwindling on regrets.

If you were to twist my arm and name something, i regret all the teenage weekends out on the town! Waste of time, money and dignity lol! :cool:

Vistravi
19-Sep-09, 19:02
If you were to twist my arm and name something, i regret all the teenage weekends out on the town! Waste of time, money and dignity lol! :cool:

But it was all good times no? ;)

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-09, 21:47
But it was all good times no? ;)

Looking back at it now, big no no! Compared to what my life is like now that was just worthless!

I love my life now, dont enjoy alcohol anymore. Dont mind a few drinks but refuse to get "drunk" :cool:

twiglet
19-Sep-09, 21:59
What would have happened if I hadn't flunked the audition for a scholarship to music school at 14? I regret never going to Art College to get a degree instead of taking a shorter course in childcare. Ok, I had a 10 year career in childcare but now I'd be happy with just a career in anything that stretches my brain. I still draw and paint but not to the level I would like to achieve. Practice makes perfect. I'm still believer in 'what happens, happens'.

butterfly
19-Sep-09, 22:22
Life is too short for regrets.We all made choices that felt right for us at the time.

summer
19-Sep-09, 22:31
Not picking the subjects in school I would of actually been good at.

I was suppose to go to uni and do psychology but got distracted during my gap year. Later I took a psychology course distance learning and averaged 60-70% and found it a bit tiresome. By chance I happened upon a design course where I got 98% and loved it. Thinking back I did technical in 1st/2nd year and always did well. Wonder what I'd be doing now if I'd taken a technical subject at standard grade.

Aaldtimer
20-Sep-09, 02:47
[quote=summer;597155]Not picking the subjects in school I would of actually been good at.
quote]

That wouldn't have been English then!;)

ŠAmethyst
20-Sep-09, 13:13
I regret nothing, yet am saddened at those things that could be classed as 'regrettable'.

I hope that makes sense.

cuddlepop
20-Sep-09, 13:36
I regret not doing the extra year in Uni when I finished my HNC as now it'll take me years to get one.

unless you are qualified to degree standard employers overlook you for those that are.:(

shamrock2007
20-Sep-09, 14:02
I agree with Butterfly life is too short for regrets.