PDA

View Full Version : Best Autobiographies or biographies?

Rheghead
17-Sep-09, 21:04
Which biographies which you've read that you have really enjoyed?:confused

I've never read many except Winston Churchill's but I've ordered Ozzy Osbourne's 'I am Ozzy' and I'm rather looking forward to it.[lol]

And who are you hoping will come out with a book about themselves?

unicorn
17-Sep-09, 21:08
I read Sharon Osbournes and enjoyed it... I wonder how much of his life Ozzy actually remembers :lol:

WickWitch
17-Sep-09, 21:14
I'd quite like a Brad Pitt one with lots and lots of pics ;)

Lingland
17-Sep-09, 21:23
Just finished reading Spilling the Beans by Clarissa Dickson Wright of Two Fat Ladies fame excellent

joxville
17-Sep-09, 21:39
From memory I've read:

Ian Botham
Michael Caine
Betty Boothroyd
Terry Wogan
Bruce Forsythe
Rolf Harris
Des O'Connor
Michael J Fox
Ulrika Jonsson
Nigel Mansell
Richard Branson

+ about 40 others.

I'm looking forward to my own biography being published. :cool:

ŠAmethyst
17-Sep-09, 21:47
Only one recently that's really drawn me in was 'Generation Kill' by Evan Wright - the story of Mr Wrights experiences being a journalist joining 1st recon Marines in Iraq.

Started to read Russel Brand's but tired of it quickly.

Ultimate favourite is "Once In A House On Fire" by Andrea Ashworth, which was given to me by a fellow orger years ago. Have read it many many times since. I understand that there are a few people on the org that have read that book.

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-09, 21:47
Just finished reading Spilling the Beans by Clarissa Dickson Wright of Two Fat Ladies fame excellent

I have had a few goes at getting imto that book, but it just kept falling away and I lost interest. It is sat here in front of me, so perhaps I ought to try a bit harder.

I do like Clarissa, even if she is a bit of a fruit cake.

maverick
17-Sep-09, 21:48
The best biography I have read was Executioner Pierrepoint, the life and times of Albert Pierrepoint Britain's last Chief Executioner, although there were other executioners after Albert's retirement, they were never appointed the post of Chief........ great story..

Julia
17-Sep-09, 21:53
Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James is absolutely hilarious!

supernova
18-Sep-09, 12:26
Eric Clapton's autobiography is excellent, painfully honest about his demons and inspirational because of the good he has done and his modesty and down to earthness.

David Banks
18-Sep-09, 20:32
Reading all (approx 500 pages) of Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom was a surprise to someone who normally find's Reader's Digest more designed for my concentration level.
It was gripping throughout, and I am still amazed that, in the middle of Apartheid, he knew the point at which he had to refuse to conform to the law - ending up in prison. Such clear 'vision' shows a deep understanding of and committment to humanity.

ciderally
19-Sep-09, 19:42
The best biography I have read was Executioner Pierrepoint, the life and times of Albert Pierrepoint Britain's last Chief Executioner, although there were other executioners after Albert's retirement, they were never appointed the post of Chief........ great story..
just got this out of libraray...not started it yet..so look forward to it ...cheers

maverick
19-Sep-09, 21:38
just got this out of libraray...not started it yet..so look forward to it ...cheers

I thought it was a brilliant read, certainly got my eyes opened about a subject that for years was considered taboo. hope you enjoy it.

squidge
19-Sep-09, 23:16
I read the pierrepoint book too

Also good were An unfinished life - biography of JFK. Broke it down into bite sized chunks and opened my eyes to the American political System - fascinating.

Mao by Jung chang was good but heavy going.

Frank Skinner - mildly entertaining.

The little house on the prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder - I loved them ABSOLUTELY as a girl. Much better than the TV series and ones i cant wait to share with my own wee girl.

Once in a house on fire by Andrea Ashworth - beautifully written, uplifting and a book for reading again and again and again.

Rheghead
19-Sep-09, 23:30
House by the Shore by Allison Johnson may qualify as a biography, it was hillarious!

highland red
23-Sep-09, 23:44
I've read some good ones: but whatever else you read: DON'T read Alan Shearer's.

It was (I should have known) BORING!!!!

Colonel Ghadaffi. Excellent.
Richard Branson
Adam Faith
Alistair Campbell - The Blair years, very good.
John Prescott.
Michael Cole
Ron and Leon Haslam (motorcycling......superb)
Barrie McDermott (rugby league)
Tewara Nikau (rugby league)
Fidele Castro
Bill Clinton (almost as boring as Alan Shearer's - but twice as thick)
Lance Armstrong

Scorpio12thNov
24-Sep-09, 08:34
Just about to start Eric Clapton's bio, should be an interesting read.

Alex "The Hurricane" Higgins is a brilliant read.