PDA

View Full Version : tread mill for dogs.

cuddlepop
17-Sep-09, 16:16
Have been able to watch Cesar Millian on Sky and see that he puts dogs on a tread mill,now is this an "ordinary" one or one just for dogs?:confused

Has anyone else tried this method?

changilass
17-Sep-09, 16:19
If folks just took their dowgs for a walk now and agian there would be no need for a bliddy treadmill.

cuddlepop
17-Sep-09, 16:20
If folks just took their dowgs for a walk now and agian there would be no need for a bliddy treadmill.

Its aswell as,he's not saying instead of.:)

changilass
17-Sep-09, 16:25
I just wish folk would do a bitty home work afore getting a dowg.

The amount of dogs needing to be rehomed cos they are too big, eat too much, need too much exercise etc is just plain daft.

froal
17-Sep-09, 18:04
You do get dog treadmills never needed one, but i know alot of the showing ones have one !:D

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-09, 18:18
I walk my dogs, proberbly more than most people and I have to leave my old dog (10 year old) at home at night as it is getting too much for her.

My young dog (2 year old) does never get fed up with exercise and would walk and run all day if I let him. I am now starting to have problems with my knees and if it gets so bad that I need to do less walking, then a treadmill might be the answear to keep my young dog fit.

porshiepoo
18-Sep-09, 16:18
My dogs get loads of exercise but I have tried them on the treadmill.
It's good for a bitch when she's in season and you don't want to risk taking her out.
I have a normal human York treadmill and that works fine but it probably depends on the type of breed you have.
Our Shih Tzu is fine on it and the German Shepherd would be fine walking but they're just not long enough for the stride of our Great Dane or for The Shepherds at a trot. It may just be my imagination but their back feet seem to come very close to the end for them to be getting a true trot out of it.

Hope that helps.

cuddlepop
18-Sep-09, 17:08
My dogs get loads of exercise but I have tried them on the treadmill.
It's good for a bitch when she's in season and you don't want to risk taking her out.
I have a normal human York treadmill and that works fine but it probably depends on the type of breed you have.
Our Shih Tzu is fine on it and the German Shepherd would be fine walking but they're just not long enough for the stride of our Great Dane or for The Shepherds at a trot. It may just be my imagination but their back feet seem to come very close to the end for them to be getting a true trot out of it.

Hope that helps.

Scorrie gets a fair bit of exercise but I.m worried when the nights draw in just how tired he's going to get from walking on the lead.
Last year OH wasnt working so took him for long walks in the afternoon.
Its just too dark round here to let him off the lead.
Looking for alternatives and as Cesar uses this technique wondered if others had tried.
Thanks.:D

Kathy@watten
18-Sep-09, 17:22
I bet Scorrie would have the right go go attitude just right for running on a treadmill, perfect he could watch the telly at the same time as doing his 10 miles! My russell loves the eliptical trainer and gets really excited when I go on it and think she would like some gym stuff too, whereas my lab would cringe at additional excercise!

cuddlepop
18-Sep-09, 18:27
I bet Scorrie would have the right go go attitude just right for running on a treadmill, perfect he could watch the telly at the same time as doing his 10 miles! My russell loves the eliptical trainer and gets really excited when I go on it and think she would like some gym stuff too, whereas my lab would cringe at additional excercise!

Need to make sure its the right programe on for him though as a bit of a telly snob,needs to be a wildlife,"doggy" theme or any sport that involves a ball.
He loves swimming but its just too cold during the winter,although if he's anything like he was last year when he broke the ice with his paws,anything is possible.:lol:.....he's probably put a swimming pool on his christmas this.

daisychain
19-Sep-09, 12:17
HaHa i would love to see my Bassets on a treadmill, they would be at the end before leaving the start!!!!! lol

BINBOB
19-Sep-09, 14:25
HaHa i would love to see my Bassets on a treadmill, they would be at the end before leaving the start!!!!! lol

Yes ,my baby BASSET too....when she was a puppy,she tried to scratch her ears,but only managed to get to the middle of her tummy!!!lol.:lol:

porshiepoo
19-Sep-09, 15:02

Oh Eck! You'd have to remember to tie them ears back though :eek:

BINBOB
19-Sep-09, 16:48
Oh Eck! You'd have to remember to tie them ears back though :eek:

No problem for my baby basset..she just carries them in her mouth!!!:lol:

smithp
19-Sep-09, 19:39
sure I saw one on dragons den - the guy was ridiculed.

ciderally
19-Sep-09, 19:48
boy oh boy....just thinking of my tomas (greyhound) on a treadmil...tee hee....no chance

daisychain
19-Sep-09, 19:51
Yes ,my baby BASSET too....when she was a puppy,she tried to scratch her ears,but only managed to get to the middle of her tummy!!!lol.:lol:
They are such comical dogs, both of mine used to trip up on their ears all the time!!!

BINBOB
19-Sep-09, 22:02
They are such comical dogs, both of mine used to trip up on their ears all the time!!!

Have to agree,phoebe is ADORABLE..love my darling cockers,but phoebe..something else.She is so funny at times.She also trips over her ears.I would love more bassets,but health does not allow this,sadly.;)

spaceddaisy
20-Sep-09, 11:06
I once saw a guy on grand designs who had made a huge metal wheel in his back garden for his dog, was like a giant hamster wheel. The dog seemed to love it.

cuddlepop
20-Sep-09, 13:20
I once saw a guy on grand designs who had made a huge metal wheel in his back garden for his dog, was like a giant hamster wheel. The dog seemed to love it.

Lets just hope that one is never repeated on Sky as I'm sure that'll be another thing added to the christmas list.:lol:

daisychain
20-Sep-09, 14:10
Have to agree,phoebe is ADORABLE..love my darling cockers,but phoebe..something else.She is so funny at times.She also trips over her ears.I would love more bassets,but health does not allow this,sadly.;)
Just getting of this thread a bit here, I got my second basset Dotty from basset rescue near Laurencekirk, there were 40 bassets there the day we went from 4 days(brand new litter) to 14 years(grand old man)most not rescue dogs though. I was in basset heaven!could have gone home with the lot lol. Must say that your Phobe and my Saffy could be twins their so alike(must get my daughter to put some pics on here):-)

BINBOB
20-Sep-09, 18:52
Just getting of this thread a bit here, I got my second basset Dotty from basset rescue near Laurencekirk, there were 40 bassets there the day we went from 4 days(brand new litter) to 14 years(grand old man)most not rescue dogs though. I was in basset heaven!could have gone home with the lot lol. Must say that your Phobe and my Saffy could be twins their so alike(must get my daughter to put some pics on here):-)
There is a basset rescue near Laurencekirk............I did not know that,probably just as well.............I love bassets so much.

U have a saffy basset and I have a saffi cocker.Would u like to meet up...please let me know.I would love to meet ur bassets so much...I think I have seen someone with a basset in Thurso and always go............AHHHHHHHHHHH.;)

daisychain
20-Sep-09, 21:22
There is a basset rescue near Laurencekirk............I did not know that,probably just as well.............I love bassets so much.

U have a saffy basset and I have a saffi cocker.Would u like to meet up...please let me know.I would love to meet ur bassets so much...I think I have seen someone with a basset in Thurso and always go............AHHHHHHHHHHH.;)

To pm you but it failed, would like to meet up with the dogs sometime, do you have a contact number?:-)

Nettie
23-Sep-09, 06:59
I have tried my dogs on a treadmill when I was showing and they loved it, would never use it as an excuse to not walk them but very useful if a bitch is in season or if extra fitness and condition is needed for a specific purpose. The company to contact is
http://www.fitfurlife.com/ the treadmills are not cheap but it is sometimes possible to get a secondhand one.

cuddlepop
23-Sep-09, 16:03
I have tried my dogs on a treadmill when I was showing and they loved it, would never use it as an excuse to not walk them but very useful if a bitch is in season or if extra fitness and condition is needed for a specific purpose. The company to contact is
http://www.fitfurlife.com/ the treadmills are not cheap but it is sometimes possible to get a secondhand one.

Thanks for the link Nettie will look into it.:D