PDA

View Full Version : Tree stump removal???

Kathy@watten
16-Sep-09, 21:24
Here's the thing...My fairy God Mother has an issue with a offending tree stump in her garden which we need to remove, too big to dig out and roots go for miles, too near a wooden fence and in housey area to burn...how do we get the begger out? come on orgers there must be a way and if there is one of you will know it!

S&LHEN
16-Sep-09, 21:32
Get it out with a digger ADs moved some for people before another option is to boar a hole in the centre of it and pour something strong down to kill it and then with the roots being dead it might be easier to move other than that I dont have a clue:)

Kathy@watten
16-Sep-09, 21:39
Sorry never mentioned the access is not there to take in a digger....

Kathy@watten
16-Sep-09, 21:40
S&Lhen had an idea to bore a hole in stump and kill it off with asomething....what chemical treatment would we use and where can you get such a thing?

shazzy
16-Sep-09, 21:45
my OH says to use a 'stump grinder', piece of machinery that chomps away at the stump,leaving a pill of sawdust.Should be able to hire one for a weekend.

poppett
16-Sep-09, 22:06
Copper nails worked in an old ivy stump for me some years ago.

butterfly
16-Sep-09, 23:18
Copper nails worked in an old ivy stump for me some years ago.

Copper nails is good at making the stump rot back yeah.Put about 20 in the stump for faster effect.

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-09, 11:32
Digging out a large tree stump can be rewarding phisical challenge.

Andy
17-Sep-09, 12:52
I've hired a stump grinder before and they work a treat ideal for limited space.

Gavinp
19-Sep-09, 15:11
I know you said that there is no room for a digger. However I had some work done 2 years ago in the garden with a digger. The gate the digger came through is 1.2 meters wide and the contracter said they have diggers that will fit through even smaller gates. They even have one that can be driven on special mats through the house for totaly enclosed gardens. The company are from the Dunnet area I would need to ask at work to get the contact details PM me if you want them.

Kathy@watten
19-Sep-09, 18:30
Sorry really is no acess for digger as there is narrow gate and then terraced area to negotiate. Think stump grider is the way forward...anyone know where to get one of said items?

poppett
19-Sep-09, 19:11
Would imagine Allan`s of Gillock at Watten would be your best bet to hire a stump grinder, or HSS tool hire in Thurso.

domino
31-Dec-09, 21:20
try a strong solution of Sodium Chlorate in the bore hole in the stump. better still drill as many holes as posssible. Use an auger, then the solution