PDA

View Full Version : No tech for first years in WHS

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 19:19
I've just been informed by my youngest that technical classes in Wick High School have been cancelled for all first years for the rest of the session. Can this be true?

Alice in Blunderland
15-Sep-09, 19:28
Five years ago this was the same with my daughter. :)

Venture
15-Sep-09, 19:31
Four years ago this was the same with my son. I think at the time it was replaced with extra maths and english.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 19:39
We live in a mainly 'blue collar' county that needs to keep producing apprentices, engineers and tradespersons. Are we about to hand a major advantage to the youngsters in Thurso High School in three years time. It wont be a level playing field when the major employers are looking for the next generation of engineers, joiners, electricians, etc. This decision seems like madness to me.

redeyedtreefrog
15-Sep-09, 20:09
I highly doubt it, I attend the school (Teacher or pupil, I'm not saying which) and heard nothing about it. Can't go wrong with extra maths and English, the staple of an able mind. Could do with more science though.

Tubthumper
15-Sep-09, 20:18
I can't believe that this is true. Huge efforts are being put into making sure that our County has the skills and knowledge to make it worthwhile for high-tech companies to come here and establish businesses. There is surely joined-up thinking between the well-paid agencies working here to ensure we retain our kids' employability?
Additional Maths & English lessons? Fair enough, but at the expense of things like music, IT, media studies and Gaelic. Please don't devalue technical training even further!

redeyedtreefrog
15-Sep-09, 20:24
Additional Maths & English lessons? Fair enough, but at the expense of things like music, IT, media studies and Gaelic.

No worries, I'm sure the government would find some spare millions to make sure they learn it.

Alice in Blunderland
15-Sep-09, 20:26
There are constraints that everyone in Education are currently working with.

There is an excellent Parent Council which meet in the High School possibly at present on a monthly , definitely on a once a term basis and issues regarding staffing levels are discussed here as well as the campaign for a new high school.:D

Tubthumper
15-Sep-09, 20:30
Alice, can you confirm that Technical lessons have been dropped from the 1st year timetable, and if they have, can you tell us why?

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 20:33
There are constraints that everyone in Education are currently working with.

There is an excellent Parent Council which meet in the High School possibly at present on a monthly , definitely on a once a term basis and issues regarding staffing levels are discussed here as well as the campaign for a new high school.:D
Are the members of the pupil council aware of this decision or will they be told after the decision is made.

Tubthumper
15-Sep-09, 20:41
Campaigning for a new school is fine, but is there not a risk that the needs of the kids in the school right now might be being missed?
Anyone from WHS able to enlighten us on this drama?

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 20:41
I highly doubt it, I attend the school (Teacher or pupil, I'm not saying which) and heard nothing about it. Can't go wrong with extra maths and English, the staple of an able mind. Could do with more science though.
You must be walking around the school with those red eyes of yours firmly shut as well as your ears, my youngest says it's all round the school and everyones talking about it. Why dont you investigate tomorrow and get back to us all with your findings.

Venture
15-Sep-09, 20:47
As Alice has already said there is a Parent Council who meet every month within the school. The meeting is always attended by the rector and one of the deputes. Any issues re your child's education can be put forward and will be answered there and then by the rector.

The next meeting is on 28th October at 7pm should you wish to attend. You will be made very welcome.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 20:48
Campaigning for a new school is fine, but is there not a risk that the needs of the kids in the school right now might be being missed?
Anyone from WHS able to enlighten us on this drama?
My youngest is in the school, as is my other offspring, they both confirm that the decision has been made. Youngest says its been swapped for more home ec. We'll be okay for chefs and cooks in the future, if only we had enough places in the county to employ them.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 20:51
As Alice has already said there is a Parent Council who meet every month within the school. The meeting is always attended by the rector and one of the deputes. Any issues re your child's education can be put forward and will be answered there and then by the rector.

The next meeting is on 28th October at 7pm should you wish to attend. You will be made very welcome.
Stable doors will be firmly bolted by then.

Venture
15-Sep-09, 20:57
Stable doors will be firmly bolted by then.
So in other words you are giving up without a fight.

Venture
15-Sep-09, 20:59
Time and time again on this message board people complain about things that are happening within the school. What I don't understand is why they never feel the need to discuss it with the school themselves first.

redeyedtreefrog
15-Sep-09, 21:01
Why dont you investigate tomorrow and get back to us all with your findings.

Will do, zeppellin.

Tubthumper
15-Sep-09, 21:11
I think, Venture, that people are keen to get info as soon as possible. Waiting till the 28th October will probably see, as Zep would say, that the stable door is firmly bolted while the prospect of tech lessons has legged it over the horizon. Perhaps even 6 weeks missed tech lessons in first year could make the difference between a well-paid career in engineering and a poorly-paid one in a call centre, care home or hotel.
If it was my kid's education, I'd be on the phone first thing in the morning.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 21:11
Time and time again on this message board people complain about things that are happening within the school. What I don't understand is why they never feel the need to discuss it with the school themselves first.
I only heard this grim news this evening, thought I would check if there was any substance to it. Are you on the parent council? if so, shouldn't there be some form of consultation, or do you all just sit there and agree, agree, agree. If you are a member, dont you, or your colleagues have the right to call an EGM in extraordinary circumstances? or is that too radical an idea. Perhaps you (if you are a member of the P. C.) and your colleagues are just powerless puppets who do as they are told. Then again, maybe I'm the one that's wrong and that messing with our children's future is ok.

Tubthumper
15-Sep-09, 21:41
Time and time again we find official bodies such as schools making ridiculous decisions that have a bearing on our future, while we have no say in the matter. What I don't understand is why they never feel the need to discuss it with the parents or pupils themselves first.
It may be that this is just a rumour. However, it begs the question why it would take 6 weeks for a meeting to take place where the concerns of the parents could be officially presented to the rector.
No wonder folk get annoyed.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 21:41

Remember this Venture? These are your words on a previous thread. What did you and your P. C. colleagues do about it at the time. Pretty prophetic of you.
'Well said Alice. The announcement about the school loosing 7 teachers was announced some time ago and highlighted on the front page of the Groat. Parents have known about this but only decide to complain now when it begins to affect their children. Alice is right the cuts will get worse and the pupils and staff will suffer because of it.'

Venture
15-Sep-09, 21:50
Remember this Venture? These are your words on a previous thread. What did you and your P. C. colleagues do about it at the time. Pretty prophetic of you.
'Well said Alice. The announcement about the school loosing 7 teachers was announced some time ago and highlighted on the front page of the Groat. Parents have known about this but only decide to complain now when it begins to affect their children. Alice is right the cuts will get worse and the pupils and staff will suffer because of it.'

Neither the parent council or the school were able to do anything about the cut in teachers. The number was cut by HRC due to the fall in the school roll. This rule applies to all schools. Not only Wick High School.

Alice in Blunderland
15-Sep-09, 21:51
I attend the Parent Council meetings in the High School and listen to all that is being said by the rector regarding staffing levels, budget constraints, etc, etc.
I am not a puppet and whilst at these meetings I haven't noticed any one else with strings attached to them. :)

I sense your rage at this but, is it fair to have a go at the Parent Council who meet to work with the school and the children.

I noticed at the last Parent Council meeting (AGM) for a school with over 800 kids in it there were only a handful of parents ( less than twenty ) sitting in the room.

I have found one thing whilst attending these meetings, the staff are always thinking of the children's needs and how to provide the best timetable for them with the constraints of staffing, budgets etc, etc no decision is ever taken lightly.

Yes phone the school and check out what is happening as every interested parent would thats what would be my course of action and could I also suggest that maybe a few of the parents reading this come along to what are very informative Parent Council meetings .........not puppet shows ;)

Alice in Blunderland
15-Sep-09, 21:53
Neither the parent council or the school were able to do anything about the cut in teachers. The number was cut by HRC due to the fall in the school roll. This rule applies to all schools. Not only Wick High School.

Oh and we have councillors that should be getting lobbied regarding these cuts. :D

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 21:57
Can you find out how many pupils attended WHS last session v's this session. Seven teachers fewer represents well over 10% less teachers, is the role this session anywhere near 10% down on last session? Dont think so.

Venture
15-Sep-09, 22:00
Time and time again we find official bodies such as schools making ridiculous decisions that have a bearing on our future, while we have no say in the matter. What I don't understand is why they never feel the need to discuss it with the parents or pupils themselves first.
It may be that this is just a rumour. However, it begs the question why it would take 6 weeks for a meeting to take place where the concerns of the parents could be officially presented to the rector.
No wonder folk get annoyed.

Who is asking anyone to wait six weeks before enquiring as to the reason for tech subjects no longer being available? The parent Council had a meeting for September, last Wednesday. It was the AGM and parent forum. The turnout as per usual was very poor. A dozen parents turned up from a school with over 800 pupils. Nothing was brought up about the subject then. I don't have a child in first year so I've only become aware of the problem from this thread. Yes the next meeting is weeks away but that dosen't mean nothing can be discussed on the subject until then. Every parent has the right to visit the school or telephone if they have concerns, they don't have to wait until the pc meet. As to the PC I'd suggest you and zeppellin don't knock it until you've tried it.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 22:08
Who is asking anyone to wait six weeks before enquiring as to the reason for tech subjects no longer being available? The parent Council had a meeting for September, last Wednesday. It was the AGM and parent forum. The turnout as per usual was very poor. A dozen parents turned up from a school with over 800 pupils. Nothing was brought up about the subject then. I don't have a child in first year so I've only become aware of the problem fro this thread. Yes the next meeting is weeks away but that dosen't mean nothing can be discussed on the subject until then. Every parent has the right to visit the school or telephone if they have concerns, they don't have to wait until the pc meet. As to the PC I'd suggest you and zepplin don't knock it until you've tried it.
I'd suggest, as a member of the P.C. you are there to represent the views of parents. There are plenty of parental views being expressed here. Oh, and why wasn't the matter discussed at the last P.C. meeting? Surely the school was aware of the situation before the last P.C. meeting, (or were they?)

Tubthumper
15-Sep-09, 22:14
Not having a kid at the school, I doubt I'd be welcome. My point was that (if the rumour is true) an important part of a child's education has been removed without consultation or explanation. I'd suggest that the PC (and I respect those who turn up regularly, whilst wondering whether most Wickers care about what happens at the school) get the Rector to agree that no such moves are made in future without consultation. And there's surely a councillor on the PC, who could take the representations back to HC.

Alice in Blunderland
15-Sep-09, 22:19
I'd suggest, as a member of the P.C. you are there to represent the views of parents. There are plenty of parental views being expressed here. Oh, and why wasn't the matter discussed at the last P.C. meeting? Surely the school was aware of the situation before the last P.C. meeting, (or were they?)

Yes they are there to discuss the concerns of the parents, it is always advised to talk to the school directly yourself in the first instance see what they say.

The staff cuts matter was discussed at a previous meeting and explained how they are worked out to those in attendance. Do you not think for one moment Mr Traill would love to employ as many teachers as he could to save him the headache of juggling a timetable, covering for sickness, offering subjects etc, etc.

The Education budget has been cut massively and expect more cuts to come as the High School role is predicted to fall in the next few years again covered at a PC meeting and the budget cuts to keep on coming.

I would suggest you start to lobby the councillors and those in position to influence this. Staff cuts are one thing expect schools and nurseries to feel the axe also in the future and I dont need a crystal ball to see that one coming. More and more parents should be making their voices heard. :)

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 22:19
****NEWS FLASH****
My oldest has just informed me that a technical teacher is teaching maths in the maths department, surely not.

upolian
15-Sep-09, 22:22
sounds like whs over and over

Alice in Blunderland
15-Sep-09, 22:25
And there's surely a councillor on the PC, who could take the representations back to HC.

There is.

On the point of consultation before cuts the only people who are consulted are the councillors I believe they get a vote. :confused

Another point teachers of one subject are quite often used to cover for sickness and absence. What would you rather a teacher, any teacher teaching............ or the maths class ushered into the hall to sit and wait for the next period.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 22:31
There is.

On the point of consultation before cuts the only people who are consulted are the councillors I believe they get a vote. :confused

Another point teachers of one subject are quite often used to cover for sickness and absence. What would you rather a teacher, any teacher teaching............ or the maths class ushered into the hall to sit and wait for the next period.
He's teaching maths on a permanent basis, not covering for illness, there is a difference.

Venture
15-Sep-09, 22:36
Not having a kid at the school, I doubt I'd be welcome. My point was that (if the rumour is true) an important part of a child's education has been removed without consultation or explanation. I'd suggest that the PC (and I respect those who turn up regularly, whilst wondering whether most Wickers care about what happens at the school) get the Rector to agree that no such moves are made in future without consultation. And there's surely a councillor on the PC, who could take the representations back to HC.

You don't have to be a parent to attend the meetings. We have other members of the community who have been co-opted on to the council and do their bit along with the parents. As to councillors well that's a different story. I'm sorry to say that councillors are conspicuous by their absence at PC meetings. I only know of one meeting where one attended, and I haven't missed any for the two years since it was established. As Alice has said more cuts are in the offing. More bums on chairs are sorely needed to represent the feelings of parents re their children's education. The PC have hundreds of chairs available but unfortunately not many are willing to fill them. :(

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 22:40
You don't have to be a parent to attend the meetings. We have other members of the community who have been co-opted on to the council and do their bit along with the parents. As to councillors well that's a different story. I'm sorry to say that councillors are conspicuous by their absence at PC meetings. I only know of one meeting where one attended, and i haven't missed any for the two years since it was established. As Alice has said more cuts are in the offing. More bums on chairs are sorely needed to represent the feelings of parents re their children's education. The PC have hundreds of chairs available but unfortunately not many are willing to fill them. :(
Who are the councillors who are members? Name and shame, and the public will do the rest at the next council elections.

Venture
15-Sep-09, 23:10
Who are the councillors who are members? Name and shame, and the public will do the rest at the next council elections.
All the information about the Parent council can be found on the school website. The minutes of meetings etc. are available to view there. Perhaps once you have read through them all you'll post your comments here.

PantsMAN
15-Sep-09, 23:23
How about some of us try to grasp a simple concept? If a school wishes to teach swahili then it needs swahili teachers.

If, after a few years the demand for swahili grows, and the supply of swahili teachers nationally also grows, then a school may be in the joyous position of being able to offer swahili to all years in the school.

The school may be able to offer certificate swahili at different levels, or even a number of swahili dialects.

However if there is a sudden and unforeseen loss of a swahili teacher, the school may have to decide that it is important to maintain the certificate swahili and, for as long as necessary, remove swahili from from other bits of the curriculum. That way, the pupils who have chosen certificate swahili can still achieve the certificates.

As Alice has pointed out, these decisions are never rash and unconsidered.

Basically, it is down to availability of staff. Not something even the Parent Council can control. (Although they do their damndest to try and encourage people into the county and to stay here.)

Soapbox folded and put away!
Pip! Pip!

Alice in Blunderland
15-Sep-09, 23:29
Oh and the magic word ...................money. :eek:

If said swahili teacher wants a pay packet then Highland Councils budget cuts arent going to help. :~(

PantsMAN
15-Sep-09, 23:36
It's gone quiet in here..... tee hee.;)

crayola
15-Sep-09, 23:39
How about some of us try to grasp a simple concept? If a school wishes to teach swahili then it needs swahili teachers.

If, after a few years the demand for swahili grows, and the supply of swahili teachers nationally also grows, then a school may be in the joyous position of being able to offer swahili to all years in the school.

The school may be able to offer certificate swahili at different levels, or even a number of swahili dialects.

However if there is a sudden and unforeseen loss of a swahili teacher, the school may have to decide that it is important to maintain the certificate swahili and, for as long as necessary, remove swahili from from other bits of the curriculum. That way, the pupils who have chosen certificate swahili can still achieve the certificates.

As Alice has pointed out, these decisions are never rash and unconsidered.

Basically, it is down to availability of staff. Not something even the Parent Council can control. (Although they do their damndest to try and encourage people into the county and to stay here.)

Soapbox folded and put away!
Pip! Pip!
I have a friend who is reasonably fluent in Swahili and is looking for a job. Should he apply to WHS?

No I'm not joking!

Extra Maths and English lessons at WHS sound good. Does the school's remit stretch to Orgers?

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 23:49
It's gone quiet in here..... tee hee.;)
That's because we are all gobsmacked at the gibberish you speak.

zeppellin
15-Sep-09, 23:52
I think your talking Swahili

Venture
16-Sep-09, 00:02
If my memory serves me right zeppellin this is not your first complaint about Wick High School. I recall other threads started by you criticising the school, in fact half your total posts seem to be WHS based. You've complained about times of parents' evenings, fire drills, behaviour at school football matches and now school subjects and the Parent Council. I wonder what will be next on your agenda.:roll:

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 00:08
If my memory serves me right zeppellin this is not your first complaint about Wick High School. I recall other threads started by you criticising the school, in fact half your total posts seem to be WHS based. You've complained about times of parents' evenings, fire drills, behaviour at school football matches and now school subjects and the Parent Council. Whatever will it be next?:roll:
Concerned parent, is that a crime? Would you rather I just 'rolled over' and said nothing? And before you ask, I have raised all of my concerns with the school to no avail. Will keep trying though.

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 00:10
If my memory serves me right zeppellin this is not your first complaint about Wick High School. I recall other threads started by you criticising the school, in fact half your total posts seem to be WHS based. You've complained about times of parents' evenings, fire drills, behaviour at school football matches and now school subjects and the Parent Council. I wonder what will be next on your agenda.:roll:
Recall or looked up?

Venture
16-Sep-09, 00:21
Recall or looked up?

Recalled and then looked up actually. How could I have forgotten all that hot air you spouted before you left the building last time round.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=65841

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 00:28
Recalled and then looked up actually. How could I have forgotten all that hot air you spouted before you left the building last time round.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=65841
Why are you so upset, am I touching a raw nerve? or do you have a vested interest?

Moira
16-Sep-09, 00:28
I have a friend who is reasonably fluent in Swahili and is looking for a job. Should he apply to WHS?

No I'm not joking!

Extra Maths and English lessons at WHS sound good. Does the school's remit stretch to Orgers?

You do?

Allegedly you are not joking?

I doubt there will be much call for a Swahili speaking teacher at WHS so I'm guessing you are having a laugh.

I recall that you "escaped" Caithness at an early age. Some of us stayed and I, for one, don't regret that decision.

Venture
16-Sep-09, 00:41
Why are you so upset, am I touching a raw nerve? or do you have a vested interest?

Upset, don't make me laugh.[lol] No raw nerves visible last time I looked and the only interest I have is in my son's education and helping the school in any way I can. Hence my reason for joining the Parent Council. What's your reason for not joining?

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 00:48
Upset, don't make me laugh.[lol] No raw nerves visible last time I looked and the only interest I have is in my son's education and helping the school in any way I can. Hence my reason for joining the Parent Council. What's your reason for not joining?
Ah bless, thats what we need, lots more like you having a go at people who have major concerns rather than having a go at those who cause the concerns in the first place. Get off the fence woman, and say something constructive and stop being an apologist for the inept.

PantsMAN
16-Sep-09, 08:08
That's because we are all gobsmacked at the gibberish you speak.

Let me explain it in 'simple' terms.

Down here the schools tend to teach the subjects they have staff for. If a teacher leaves and can't be replaced then things have to change.

Have you checked with the school at your end?

Or are you just going to maintain your inflated posture??

BRIE
16-Sep-09, 08:27
The tech teacher was one of the unfortunate ones that didnt have his contract renewed so now there is not enough qualified teachers to teach that subject.
I think the whole school needs a major shake up! My child now has more free periods than lessons due to lack of available teachers, the school are trying to fill up timetables with college courses but these are on days that my child does have lessons so now they miss 3/4 of the course work on their chosen subjects!!
my child actually has 2 periods of lessons to go to today & the same on a monday, what do they do with their free periods? they sit in the crush hall because they still havent been allocated a room or a teacher to use their free time for study.
Makes you wonder what you send your child to school for because at the moment they certainly arent learning anything!![evil]

Alice in Blunderland
16-Sep-09, 10:20
Ah bless, thats what we need, lots more like you having a go at people who have major concerns rather than having a go at those who cause the concerns in the first place. Get off the fence woman, and say something constructive and stop being an apologist for the inept.

This comment will not get you anywhere.

You are enraged at what is happening within the school take it straight to the school. If you are still unhappy next head to the Education Office google the number that would be your next port of call. Your local councillor I am sure would love to hear your concerns and can also try to help you out.

As Venture has rightly pointed out the schools hands are tied and this has been gone over in detail with parents attending the meetings. Mr Beveridge has on more than one occasion when I have been present told us how he tries to fit it all in and with the resources he has I feel he is doing the best job he can given the circumstances.:)

In an ideal world we would have a first class modern building, ( not the wreck thats falling apart ) for the children with many subjects on offer to have them best placed in the world when they move on.

This would need an endless pot of money to provide these resources.

The school does not have access to an endless pot of money nor does it have an endless supply of teachers as has been explained at many poorly attended meetings.

There was earlier in the year a ward forum meeting where councillors education officials, head teacher and parent council members were there and it was well advertised for as many concerned parents as possible to come along and attend and raise qiestions concerning the school
..........................there were so many empty seats in a hall where the potential amount of parents, should they have come, could have filled it to bursting point. This in itself has shown the officials that hey do what you like the parents dont seem that bothered they cant even turn up to quiz us when they get the chance. You feel the school should be telling you more, informing you well they do.... mostly at these poorly attended meetings. What do you suggest send notes home to the houses with the kids every time they want you to be aware of something adding to the already escalating costs.:confused

Yes, get the Parent Council to lobby for more action but when it comes down to it we all as parents should be pushing for better not just the one or two on the parent council.

Its easy to bash out complaints on a forum hiding behind a 'name' but to actually take this on board and attend these meetings stand up and say you are not happy is the best way to make yourself heard.

davem
16-Sep-09, 10:59
My memory of tech was taking eons to make a box for shoe polish. First year tech never seemed to involve a lot of anything except queuing for use machines. Whatever is missed could be caught up in no time later in school. There are worse cuts that are largely down to the government freezing council tax since they came in - blame where its due please!

Venture
16-Sep-09, 11:11
The tech teacher was one of the unfortunate ones that didnt have his contract renewed so now there is not enough qualified teachers to teach that subject

Not exactly true Brie. If I can now clarify a few points that have been discussed on here.

Technical subjects for first year pupils have been put on hold until sufficient staff are available. Prior to the start of the new term the school employed two teachers who had been probationers at the school. As part of their contract they were available to teach both maths and technical when required. Over the holidays one of them withdrew from the job and the post was readvertised. There were no applicants and this left only one teacher to teach 16 periods of tech to first years, which was nigh impossible. Priority was given to certificated pupils re the remaining staff. First year pupils were then reallocated home economics periods rather than no subject at all. Home economics was the only subject available with staff to teach them. The post has been re-advertised again and when the position is filled technical will be back on the timetable. The teacher who previously taught technical is now teaching in the maths department who are also short of teachers. This is part of his job description and in his contract.

There are major problems with 5th and 6th year subjects due to the lack of teachers at present and extra pupils staying on. Classes are full and pupils are having to re organise their chosen subjects. There are pupils who have free periods because of the choice of subjects they have decided to take or not take as the case may be. The college courses are block teaching, which means they consist of 4 school periods at a time. To try and get this to fit in with school subject periods is very difficult. For the first time ever modern studies have had to rearrange their timetable to try and fit in pupils on courses and they now teach in a block period of four.

The school is trying to remedy the situation and have been consulting with guidance teachers and the pupils concerned. Classes will not settle completely until after the October break as the appeals results are due out shortly and this will mean some pupils who win their appeals will leave as they now have the qualifications that they need and don't require to stay on at school and do re-sits. This will then free up places in subjects required for those who at the moment are sitting in the crush hall with free periods. It's not an easy situation and a lot of factors are involved. The school are trying to accommodate everyone in their chosen subjects or an alternative. These particular pupils at 16, 17 and 18 years of age should surely have the sense to use the free periods as study time.

Yes the school is desperately short of teachers. This will hopefully change after the census figures are submitted at the end of September. HRC have projected a school roll of 785 but the figure at the moment is nearer 830 which could lead to additional staff being employed. There again the 830 could change as more pupils leave after the appeals. The school are also short of a depute head teacher. The vacancy caused by retiral has meant added work for other staff and may well not be filled until Christmas due to a lack of candidates applying.

There was no time for consultation with parents re the tech subjects situation and the school dealt with it in the way they thought best for both pupils and staff at the time. The school are doing all they can to deal with these situations, they are by no means easily solved. If anyone out there thinks they can do better or feels they still have cause for complaint, then I'd suggest they get in touch with the school ASAP.

AfternoonDelight
16-Sep-09, 11:20
Can someone explain then why we have a perfectly good Technial teacher from Wick doing their probationary year in Golspie when they would have far prefered being up here? And an Art teacher from Wick doing their probation in Dingwall?

This has nothing to do with money as the school don't pay probationers; the council do.

Venture
16-Sep-09, 11:30
Can someone explain then why we have a perfectly good Technial teacher from Wick doing their probationary year in Golspie when they would have far prefered being up here? And an Art teacher from Wick doing their probation in Dingwall?

This has nothing to do with money as the school don't pay probationers; the council do.

As I have already mentioned the posts were offered to and filled by the two probationers already in the school. The decision by one of them to withdraw was not made until just before the school went back. The probationer you speak of in Golspie would have been placed by that time and the job is advertised as full-time not a probationary position.

If there are no vacancies in WHS art department for probationers then they have to go elsewhere.

BRIE
16-Sep-09, 11:56
Thanks Venture for keeping us all right. I was obviously getting confused with teachers I do mind one saying they werent having their contracts renewed & another saying they would be teaching Maths next year not Tech.
I think you will find that the pupils who do have so many free periods would definately have the sense to use them for study if they actually had a subject to study for!
hopefully once the october holidays are over the problems will be sorted & the teachers might be a little less stressed.

Tubthumper
16-Sep-09, 12:07
Cheers Venture, Brie, Alice. A desparate situation for the school. Can I take it, Zeppelin, that as a concerned parent you'll now be turning up regularly to the PC meetings?

Venture
16-Sep-09, 12:17
I think you will find that the pupils who do have so many free periods would definately have the sense to use them for study if they actually had a subject to study for!

We'll give them the benefit of the doubt Brie but knowing and living with one of the senior pupils as I do I'd say they're not complaining that loudly at being subjectless and teacherless...............for the moment anyway.[lol]

Margaret M.
16-Sep-09, 13:17
It's the same everywhere -- those who bellyache the loudest make the least effort to be part of the solution. Alice and Venture know what is going on in the school because they make it a priority to stay informed. If your only source of information about school staffing, courses, etc., is your child, it's time to plant your bum on one of the empty chairs at the meetings.

BRIE
16-Sep-09, 14:00
We'll give them the benefit of the doubt Brie but knowing and living with one of the senior pupils as I do I'd say they're not complaining that loudly at being subjectless and teacherless...............for the moment anyway.[lol]

mine must be complaining enough for all of them!![lol]

Alice in Blunderland
16-Sep-09, 20:19
The silence on this thread is deafening tonight. :D

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 20:40
Still awaiting redeyedtreefrog and his findings

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 20:49
Go on then Alice in Blunderland, start the ball rolling then.

PantsMAN
16-Sep-09, 20:54
You must be walking around the school with those red eyes of yours firmly shut as well as your ears, my youngest says it's all round the school and everyones talking about it. Why dont you investigate tomorrow and get back to us all with your findings.

Above was your original request of 'redeye'.

I believe it was comprehensively answered by Venture as below

Technical subjects for first year pupils have been put on hold until sufficient staff are available. Prior to the start of the new term the school employed two teachers who had been probationers at the school. As part of their contract they were available to teach both maths and technical when required. Over the holidays one of them withdrew from the job and the post was readvertised. There were no applicants and this left only one teacher to teach 16 periods of tech to first years, which was nigh impossible. Priority was given to certificated pupils re the remaining staff. First year pupils were then reallocated home economics periods rather than no subject at all. Home economics was the only subject available with staff to teach them. The post has been re-advertised again and when the position is filled technical will be back on the timetable. The teacher who previously taught technical is now teaching in the maths department who are also short of teachers. This is part of his job description and in his contract.Therefore Zepp. how about a bit of " 'umble pie " and just admit that you rather got carried away with your own rhetoric?

Clearly the situation at your local High School is the same as is being mirrored throughout Scotland - local authority cuts causing different levels of service than we would prefer

sharona
16-Sep-09, 20:58
same ere with my twins

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 21:38
Above was your original request of 'redeye'.

I believe it was comprehensively answered by Venture as below
Therefore Zepp. how about a bit of " 'umble pie " and just admit that you rather got carried away with your own rhetoric?

Clearly the situation at your local High School is the same as is being mirrored throughout Scotland - local authority cuts causing different levels of service than we would prefer
Quote by Venture 'First year pupils were then reallocated home economics periods rather than no subject at all. Home economics was the only subject available with staff to teach them.'
Am I to believe this change has already been made then? If so, when am I likely to hear about it officially? Oh I know, when the stable door has been bolted, as usual. Never mind though PantsMAN, with all the extra Home Ec. perhaps you will get your humble pie afterall.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Sep-09, 21:40
Quote by Venture 'First year pupils were then reallocated home economics periods rather than no subject at all. Home economics was the only subject available with staff to teach them.'
Am I to believe this change has already been made then? If so, when am I likely to hear about it officially? Oh I know, when the stable door has been bolted, as usual. Never mind though PantsMAN, with all the extra Home Ec. perhaps you will get your humble pie afterall.

I have to ask did you contact the school and get an explanation for this in person?

redeyedtreefrog
16-Sep-09, 21:41
I forgot about this today but remembered towards the end of the day. I heard that it is being cancelled for some classes but not others. I imagine the classes without tech would then get it halfway through this session, giving classes equal lessons.

Venture
16-Sep-09, 21:49

The school has made the best of a bad situation here. What would you have preferred? For them all to sit in a class and study the four walls? I have already explained no other subject teachers were available. You were given the information by your child, why would you need it a second time.

So what did the school have to say to you when you spoke to them today?

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 21:49
I have to ask did you contact the school and get an explanation for this in person?
Yep, contacted the school, and nope didn't get a satisfactory answer. No final decision had been made at time of calling, sounded like it had though.
Person I spoke to seemed to be reluctant to confirm or deny.

Venture
16-Sep-09, 21:51
I forgot about this today but remembered towards the end of the day. I heard that it is being cancelled for some classes but not others. I imagine the classes without tech would then get it halfway through this session, giving classes equal lessons.

Did you get your information from the rector or a depute?

Venture
16-Sep-09, 21:52
Yep, contacted the school, and nope didn't get a satisfactory answer. No final decision had been made at time of calling, sounded like it had though.
Person I spoke to seemed to be reluctant to confirm or deny.

Which member of staff did you speak to?

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 21:55
Did you get your information from the rector or a depute?
Why the inquisition? You seem to have all the answers, are you the one making the decisions?

PantsMAN
16-Sep-09, 21:55
I say, I have just been on the interweb looking at your school's site - seems to be an announcement about all this there.

Wish things were this exciting down here...

PantsMAN
16-Sep-09, 22:01
Why the inquisition? You seem to have all the answers, are you the one making the decisions?

Venture and many others have advised you that the best way to get the facts is to go to the top, i.e. the school management.

Your evasive answer would appear to ascertain that your source is elsewhere in the school, but not from the management.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Sep-09, 22:02

Good side step. ;)
;)

PantsMAN
16-Sep-09, 22:05
Iv'e met folks like this Zeppo on the Apprentice - never able to face the facts, never able to listen to reason.

I reckon he's is no longer worth listening to ... just a large dirigible full of hot air eh!!

Pip! Pip!

Venture
16-Sep-09, 22:07

It's a simple question really. The information you were supposedly given seems pretty vague. I merely wanted to clarify if it was a member of staff you spoke to or one of the office staff.

The only answers I have posted here are the ones given to me this morning by a member of staff when I phoned the school.

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 22:12
Iv'e met folks like this Zeppo on the Apprentice - never able to face the facts, never able to listen to reason.

I reckon he's is no longer worth listening to ... just a large dirigible full of hot air eh!!

Pip! Pip!
The names Zeppellin, 'Pantsy' and remove your head from the large dirigible full stale air your sitting on. 'Pip Pip'

rainbow
16-Sep-09, 22:12
In my opinion no tech for first year is no hardship - I would be up in arms though if I had a child and they were in 4th year or above and doing a certificate in a tech subjecy and there was no teacher. I think if there is a shortage of teachers in a particular subject then Wick have got their priorities right - you can only deliver a course in a subject if you have the qualified staff. How would parents feel if a languages or PE teacher had to teach pupils graph com or woodwork - would parents be happy with that? I think not! Things like this go on in other schools due to the inability to recruit staff in a particular subject. Remember Wick is isolated and not everyone wants to move up here, especially if you have been brought up in a city!
A friend told me that 2nd years in Thurso do not get Home Ec - so Wick is not unique in not offering a subject to a year group!

Tubthumper
16-Sep-09, 22:23
So Zeppellin, has this thread persuaded you to join the Parent Council? Or attend the meetings? It strikes me that something must be done, and that being a concerned parent you are just the person to do it.

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 22:25
It's a simple question really. The information you were supposedly given seems pretty vague. I merely wanted to clarify if it was a member of staff you spoke to or one of the office staff.

The only answers I have posted here are the ones given to me this morning by a member of staff when I phoned the school.
Who exactly is the member of staff providing you with all the answers? Just so you know, 'the office staff' as you put it, are indeed members of staff in WHS. The school would be in an even worse state if it wasn't for them. Don't be so patronising.

zeppellin
16-Sep-09, 22:30
So Zeppellin, has this thread persuaded you to join the Parent Council? Or attend the meetings? It strikes me that something must be done, and that being a concerned parent you are just the person to do it.
Nope! don't like the limelight. I like to sit back and not rock any boats.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Sep-09, 22:34

nuff said.

Here I think you lost something a while ago.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wjWCH1ebARc/Spqki0MpXzI/AAAAAAAADxU/hd1c2ij_eZc/s400/baby-dummy_thumbnail.jpg

Time to move on. ;)

Venture
16-Sep-09, 22:36
Who exactly is the member of staff providing you with all the answers? Just so you know, 'the office staff' as you put it, are indeed members of staff in WHS. The school would be in an even worse state if it wasn't for them. Don't be so patronising.

Well whoever it was was certainly more qualified than your source of information judging by what you have been able to post.

Yes people who work in the office are members of staff. Admin staff to be precise, not teaching staff, who are the only ones qualified to give explanations to any questions from parents re the education given in the school.

Yes, I agree the admin staff are a great asset to the school. The rector and staff would definitely agree with you on that one.[lol]

Tubthumper
16-Sep-09, 22:46
That doesn't square with your anger at the loss of tech lessons for your bairn. Surely if you're annoyed at the way things are going, the place to be is at the centre rocking the boat, not shying away from the limelight?
I thought Wickers had a bit more gumption than that...

Venture
17-Sep-09, 07:35
Well zeppellin you don't have to worry any more about not being informed. Somebody must have "listened to your complaint" yesterday. You (along with all other S1 parents) will be receiving a letter on Friday with all the details about the changes to the S1 timetable. Hope that keeps you happy.;)

Blast!
17-Sep-09, 13:34
Additional Maths & English lessons? Fair enough, but at the expense of things like music, IT, media studies and Gaelic. Please don't devalue technical training even further!

What makes Tech more valuable that any of those?

Get off your high horse.

redeyedtreefrog
17-Sep-09, 16:07
Latest I heard was that they are advertising for a new teacher and the whole thing should be sorted by after Christmas.

PantsMAN
17-Sep-09, 16:52
Latest I heard was that they are advertising for a new teacher and the whole thing should be sorted by after Christmas.

I say, you are well informed for a treefrog, how on earth do you do it?:lol:

Moira
17-Sep-09, 21:33
Perhaps WHS is not Anti-TreeFrog-ist? Good for them, I say. ;)

PantsMAN
17-Sep-09, 22:55
I see the school website now has a letter explaining what it's all about.

Poor zippy, he'll now know the facts.

'xpect he'll find somethin else to carp about now - out of the limelight of course...[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-09, 23:01

'xpect he'll find somethin else to carp about now - out of the limelight of course...[lol]

Oh he definitely will have as the news tonight was such a delight to see.............all about the cuts, cuts and more cuts by the government. I cant wait to see how this one pans out but you don't need a crystal ball to realise there will be major knock on effects.

Tubthumper
17-Sep-09, 23:04
What makes Tech more valuable that any of those?
Get off your high horse.

Tell me what exactly gaelic is supposed to bring to a child's education and I'll think about getting off the horse.

Moira
17-Sep-09, 23:08
What is the Gaelic for "horse" or is this just argument for argument's sake? :)

zeppellin
17-Sep-09, 23:34

Do you have to be so annoying, grow a spine and say something constructive and desist from your inane twaddle, pip, pip.

Tubthumper
17-Sep-09, 23:57
What is the Gaelic for "horse" or is this just argument for argument's sake? :)
Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh!

Venture
18-Sep-09, 00:36

Do you have to be so annoying, grow a spine and say something constructive and desist from your inane twaddle, pip, pip.

You're getting a bit repetitive there zeppellin. [lol]

Tubthumper
18-Sep-09, 07:27
Ignore him, he's a balloon.

PantsMAN
18-Sep-09, 08:26

I thought that stating in my post that

was constructive otherwise you may not have realised that the answer you were seeking on your thread-starting post, had been provided by the school.

How on earth is that not only constructive but downright helpful? :confused

Venture
18-Sep-09, 10:14
Oh he definitely will have as the news tonight was such a delight to see.............all about the cuts, cuts and more cuts by the government. I cant wait to see how this one pans out but you don't need a crystal ball to realise there will be major knock on effects.

One of the cuts you mention above Alice involves a reduction in the teacher training budget of £9m. I had to laugh at the announcement made by John Swinney to justify the cut. He said this was being done as there are "too many teachers in the system". It seems the Scottish Government are no longer interested in schools but are putting all their money on training and skills with £27M more for universities and colleges taking their funding to £277M. With the staffing situation as it is at the moment and the knock on effect it is having on pupils they will be lucky if there are any going on to college or university.

Fingers crossed that there might be a tiny glimmer of hope for Wick High School and more funding towards improving the school fabric. The controversial Scottish Futures Trust, created to fund public projects but still not properly up and running, is to have its funding almost doubled, from £3.1m to £5.9m. This is where HRC have told us that any additional money to improve the school "might" come from as they have no money in their budget. Don't hold your breath, they will have more excuses waiting.

Couldn't fail to notice that gaelic services have come up trumps again, with an additional £2M taking their total funding to £21M.

PantsMAN
18-Sep-09, 15:34
Ochone ochone, choost yoo haud yer wheesht mo gràdh.

The teuchters own the parliament and we will take your dosh!!:lol:

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 16:12
Anyway, back to the actual point of the thread, I was speaking to a Home Ec teacher today and the extra periods of Home Ec are going to be filled with lessons on sewing. The second year timetable has been messed up, one class had the best Technical teacher and the best Home Ec teacher and now they have to change their timetables so the First Years can be fitted in.

zeppellin
18-Sep-09, 17:08
Anyway, back to the actual point of the thread, I was speaking to a Home Ec teacher today and the extra periods of Home Ec are going to be filled with lessons on sewing. The second year timetable has been messed up, one class had the best Technical teacher and the best Home Ec teacher and now they have to change their timetables so the First Years can be fitted in.
The 'ripple effect' of messing around with children's education. We've heard of problems with fourth, fifth and sixth year timetables, now first and second year. Only one year group left (third year,) no doubt they'll get round to it eventually, or are there problems there already.

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 17:11
The 'ripple effect' of messing around with children's education. We've heard of problems with fourth, fifth and sixth year timetables, now first and second year. Only one year group left (third year,) no doubt they'll get round to it eventually, or are there problems there already.

Just thought i'd point out that it's not really "messing around"; the school hasn't really had a choice, a teacher left at short notice and they were short.

zeppellin
18-Sep-09, 17:19
Just thought i'd point out that it's not really "messing around"; the school hasn't really had a choice, a teacher left at short notice and they were short.
One teacher leaves and it causes all this disruption, must have been in some state before he left. Surely they're not blaming all of this on a single teacher. Man. United are still winning without Ronaldo are'nt they?

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 17:47
One teacher leaves and it causes all this disruption, must have been in some state before he left. Surely they're not blaming all of this on a single teacher. Man. United are still winning without Ronaldo are'nt they?

They got a new player I'm presuming to replace him. Think about it: One teacher has, say, five periods with a class a day, making 25 altogether. These 25 have to be shifted to the other teachers, which would give them too many periods per week of classes. Priority is given to certificate classes, meaning the first-years dont get tech until there are enough teachers to cover them. Simples.

zeppellin
18-Sep-09, 17:49
They got a new player I'm presuming to replace him. Think about it: One teacher has, say, five periods with a class a day, making 25 altogether. These 25 have to be shifted to the other teachers, which would give them too many periods per week of classes. Priority is given to certificate classes, meaning the first-years dont get tech until there are enough teachers to cover them. Simples.
And the Tech teacher in the maths department?

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 17:53
And the Tech teacher in the maths department?

Maths, too, were short, two probationers left at the end of last year and only one new joined, and in terms of importance, maths is more important than tech, so this was given priority. Someone else mentioned this being in the teachers' contract.

zeppellin
18-Sep-09, 18:11
Maths, too, were short, two probationers left at the end of last year and only one new joined, and in terms of importance, maths is more important than tech, so this was given priority. Someone else mentioned this being in the teachers' contract.
'Maths more important than Tech,' bit of a sweeping statement there. I'm sure there a lots of people who'd disagree with you on that on, not least the remaining Tech teachers. Ask some pupils what they consider more important, enjoyable, and useful, and oh yeah, they're the ones being mucked about!!!!!

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 18:21
'Maths more important than Tech,' bit of a sweeping statement there. I'm sure there a lots of people who'd disagree with you on that on, not least the remaining Tech teachers. Ask some pupils what they consider more important, enjoyable, and useful, and oh yeah, they're the ones being mucked about!!!!!

Generally speaking, for most people, maths is more important than tech. I'm sure there'd be more outrage on this thread if maths was cancelled for first years and replaced with tech.

zeppellin
18-Sep-09, 18:28
Generally speaking, for most people, maths is more important than tech. I'm sure there'd be more outrage on this thread if maths was cancelled for first years and replaced with tech.
Yes in your tiny mind and world, if I were you, I'd quit while your miles behind, unless you want to fall further behind that is. Stop talking nonsense and leave the thread to people who have more substance in their words, any takers?

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 19:04
Yes in your tiny mind and world, if I were you, I'd quit while your miles behind, unless you want to fall further behind that is. Stop talking nonsense and leave the thread to people who have more substance in their words, any takers?

A roll of the [red]eyes should suffice here. But I can't resist. Let's think of some successful people and which subjects would help them most:

Bill Gates, the richest man in the world. Would tech have helped him build Microsoft? No. His maths let him write some great programs.

Stephen Hawking, incredibly intelligent and inspirational person. Tech didnt help him either, maths let him create some amazing theories.

Steve Jobs, Apple co-founder: Again, maths helped him popularise the personal computer.

And you can have maths without Tech, but tech without maths is useless. And I feel we've gone slightly off-topic.

zeppellin
18-Sep-09, 19:20
A roll of the [red]eyes should suffice here. But I can't resist. Let's think of some successful people and which subjects would help them most:

Bill Gates, the richest man in the world. Would tech have helped him build Microsoft? No. His maths let him write some great programs.

Stephen Hawking, incredibly intelligent and inspirational person. Tech didnt help him either, maths let him create some amazing theories.

Steve Jobs, Apple co-founder: Again, maths helped him popularise the personal computer.

And you can have maths without Tech, but tech without maths is useless. And I feel we've gone slightly off-topic.
I think you've just disproved your point. I also think you'll find that each of the above were technologically minded and would not have been so successful if they had not come into contact with technology at some point. Technology is not just about woodwork and metalwork, where would we be without technology? Still slapping our washing by the Wick river bank, communicating with drums or smoke signals, or even worse, sounding off like you. Take a reality check frog eyes.

redeyedtreefrog
18-Sep-09, 21:15
I can't resist. I know this applies to me mostly, but:http://austrianeconomists.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451eb0069e2011570ea5170970c-800wi

Cazaa
18-Sep-09, 22:15
I though the whole point of the new Scottish Government's Curriculum for Excellence was to promote Literacy and Numeracy across the curriculum?
However, as I'm not a teacher, nor living in Scotland I may be wrong on this.

Presumably, then, the 'maths' will be subsumed by all other subjects on the curriculum meaning that it won't be the most important subject but (excuse me whilst I try to translate in my head) it will become one of the more important factors in each subject (does that make sense? - my English is getting worse)

Rheghead
18-Sep-09, 22:59
Actually any comparison between Maths and Tech is a complete sideline. Stop greetin people!

PantsMAN
18-Sep-09, 23:57
Ah zeppilynne, a few short pages ago you were hanging on redeye's every word. And now you are insulting and off-hand to the person.

You must surely realise that no-one on these boards gives you any credit for integrity or even common sense. You either have some kind of pathological pick against Wick High or you really are demonstrating the most blatant troll-like behaviour we have seen for a long time.

Either debate things sensibly, rationally and from an informed position or please return underground!

There's a good chap now..... leave this place to the grown-ups!:D

Pip! Pip!

redeyedtreefrog
19-Sep-09, 00:18
Yes, please return to your rightful position under the bridge.

Tubthumper
20-Sep-09, 22:19
A troll he may be but he has a point. Bill Gates might have managed to be the main player in developing Windows (some would say the basic idea was robbed from Apple) , but without the (IBM) guys who developed the PC protocol in the first place he would be just another geek.
Saying that all kids can develop a career based on maths is utter tripe. That's the kind of idiot concept that leads us to the myth (shortly, I suspect, to explode spectacularly) that a degree = success in life.

PantsMAN
20-Sep-09, 22:45
SNIP
Saying that all kids can develop a career based on maths is utter tripe. That's the kind of idiot concept that leads us to the myth (shortly, I suspect, to explode spectacularly) that a degree = success in life.
I don't think anyone actually said that "all kids could have a career based on maths."

Anyways, we have strolled somewhat and I feel that zeppellin should now rejoin the thread and give us his wisdom.

I believe that your school issued a statement explaining the situation?

Tubthumper
20-Sep-09, 22:46
Depends on whether (a) he actually wrote the programs (b) they're 'great' programs (c) a bullying dominating entity like Microsoft is actually a paragon of business ethics worth holding up. If BG hadn't spent so much time doing maths and had developed some social skills, he probably wouldn't have ended up such a numpty.

He didn't have a lot of choice did he? Anyway, was maths the key ingredient in the design of his wheelchair and speaking device? Without those, the prof wouldn't have got far would he?

Personal Computer? I think not! And ask yourself, could Jobs wire a plug or repair a boiler?
Careful, froggy, you might get branded a troll yerself!

Aaldtimer
21-Sep-09, 02:48
..."He didn't have a lot of choice did he? Anyway, was maths the key ingredient in the design of his wheelchair and speaking device? Without those, the prof wouldn't have got far would he?"...

Tubbie, I think that this is one of the most callous statements I've ever seen in this Forum.[disgust]

He didn't need either to produce his theories! :roll:

Tubthumper
21-Sep-09, 11:10
Callous? Apologies for offending you AT. I doubt that the prof would be offended, because (a) he's shown he has a well-developed sense of humour and (b) I'm sure he's aware that without the application of technology he would not have been able to articulate his theories nor to attend the places where he developed them.
How callous is it, however, to remove the fundamental grasp of technology introduced & nurtured in high school, that some of the WHS kids will depend on for a living.
Wickers can make do without a grand unified theory, Prof Hawkings can't make do without folk to fix his boiler, charge his batteries and install his sky box, can he? It takes 400 folk with their feet on the ground (and a rudimentary grasp of maths) to keep each academic's head in the stars.

redeyedtreefrog
21-Sep-09, 16:44
Saying that all kids can develop a career based on maths is utter tripe.I didn't say that. I dont agree with that. As I said, tech wouldn't work without maths, and there's a reason why maths is compulsory at standard grade and tech isn't.

zeppellin
21-Sep-09, 19:31
To get back to the point of this thread, I only tried to 'flag up' an issue that was causing me, (and therefore any other concerned parent) a great deal of concern. You lot decided that I had a 'pick' with WHS and that I was 'trolling.' How pathetic can you lot get? Rather than show support for the very people who really need it and can't make decisions for themselves, namely twelve year old children, you decided to hide behind the sofa and blame everyone, government, councillors and me, rather than the only people who could have changed their ridiculous decision and found another solution. You all must be so proud of yourselves. However, the decision has been made and parents informed, albeit belatedly. There is only one loser in all of this, first year pupils in WHS and they will suffer in future years for this, mark my words. A child's education is a precious thing and it doesn't take much to ruin it. The 'high flyers' will overcome this set back, but they are in the minority here, the rest will find it difficult to 'connect' properlyand therefore their grades will suffer in three, four or five years. This is where Thurso High pupils will gain an advantage when chasing jobs. Before anyone jumps in, I have nothing against Thurso High School, all our WHS pupil's deserve is a chance to compete on a level playing field, and this they will not. I may have 'ruffled a few feathers' and I make no apology for that, but my conscience is clear, is yours?

redeyedtreefrog
21-Sep-09, 19:36
See, now why couldn't you make polite posts like that before instead of lowering to personal attacks and trolling? Even if it is a bit crap.

zeppellin
21-Sep-09, 21:48
Ding Ding ............. time out .......step back from the keyboards............ deep breath in then out.........................

From the way this thread is going the only answer is going to be a padlock and the key thrown away by the MODs. :D
Have you been reading the nonsense these two have been spouting? I tried to have my final say in a calm and thought provoking way and they couldn't resist. They will not win, losers never do.

21-Sep-09, 23:49
Several posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep your posts clear of personal insults. Thank you.

Tubthumper
22-Sep-09, 11:40
Goodness! I leave you alone for 5 minutes and you have a riot! It's worse than a school playground in here sometimes... Extra maths homework, all of you!

Venture
22-Sep-09, 15:51
Goodness! I leave you alone for 5 minutes and you have a riot! It's worse than a school playground in here sometimes... Extra maths homework, all of you!

Oh dear I see a big balloon has been deflated again too. Well you do the crime, you do the time unfortunately.;)

redeyedtreefrog
22-Sep-09, 16:23
Just want to say sorry for my comments on this thread, I descended to personal insults, but obviously not as bad as Zeppellin. The debate got heated and I got carried away. For that, I apologise.

PantsMAN
22-Sep-09, 16:34
My apologies if I offended anyone.

I really didn't think I descended into personal insults but clearly redeyedtreefrog and myself must have pressed some hidden buttons!

Mea culpa!:(

Tubthumper
22-Sep-09, 17:01
Another thread explodes in flames
It's getting far from jolly
There's folk on here that stir it up
And act all just plain trolly

The point of thread was fair enough
But why don't parents go
To meetings at the school in Wick
Then 'bout problems they'd know

However, argument on tech
Departing from timetable
Could alter Wick kids job prospects
That much is truth not fable

A plumber needs some maths it's true
And wash-machine repair
Requires ability to count
To say that much is fair

But what will happen if each child
Goes off to education
And gets degree, then wants fine job
Result? Rampant inflation

And then we can't get bloke to fix
The boiler or the car
Because all bairns have ended up
Too qualified by far

So please in children's education
Balance is required
Before you call 'more maths for all'
Keep techy types inspired

Red Frog, welcome unto the org
You've been here just short while
Pantsman, stay calm, breathe deep and pause
I feel I know your style

I also must apologise
Sincerely hang my head
Because I do not wish to go
Where Zeppellin has Led!

PantsMAN
22-Sep-09, 18:48
Tubthumper, the unofficial Org laureate!

Tubthumper, truly a wordsmith of the first magnitude, you are. Yes, hmmm.

rainbow
22-Sep-09, 20:10
Zeppelin - Thurso High second years don't get home ec - so they will be disadvantaged against Wick High Schoolers who do get home ec when they go for interviews - so no level playing field here. WHS is not unique in not offering subjects to pupils due to budget problems and lack of teachers in that subject - it goes on everywhere!

PantsMAN
22-Sep-09, 20:38
Rainbow, been put on the naughty step, zeppellin has. He still visits though I expect. Yes, hmmm

Pip! Pip!