PDA

View Full Version : paypal email, is it genuine

dragonfly
15-Sep-09, 18:30
hope someone with selling experience on ebay can confirm if this is a genuine email from paypal confirming payment!

I am selling a necklace on Ebay and had it as auction or buy it now. An ebay member from USA bought it now, however it was a newly created account and no previous bid history and stated she wanted it sent to her cousin in Nigeria! I said that once payment had cleared I would send it as believe its a scammer and no way am i sending it until money is in the bank. Also she has upped the postage herself from £5 to £100!!!

On ebay it says I am still waiting payment but I received 3 identical emails from "paypal" all stating as pasted below

Dear XXXXXXXX,

This email confirms that Meliza Cartez has paid me@aol.com the sum of £300.00 GBP for an ebay item through PayPal.Meliza Cartez just sent you money with PayPal.Meliza Cartez is a Verified buyer.
Details of Transaction:
item number : 220479321839
Seller's User ID: xxxxxxx

Seller Email: xxxxxx@aol.com

Amount: £200.00 GBP
Shipping & Handling: £100. 00 GBP
Insurance: £00.00 GBP
Total Amount: £300.00 GBP

Current status: Payment pending
Case #: PP-091-962-222
Transaction ID: 4EX26051EE541872L

What to Do Next
--------------------------
The fund has been deducted from (mcartezxxxyyy@yahoo.com) and will be credited into your account immediately shipment of the item is confirmed .

Get back to us with the shipping tracking number and your account will be credited immediately. Mail the tracking number to our Shipment verification department at (derswebhelp@post.com)
Note: The funds will be Credited into the seller's account once the shipment has been verified. This action is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer's interest and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities and you can consult our customer's care service at this email (derswebhelp@post.com)

Item Information:
eBay Item #: 220479321839

eBay User ID: xxxxxxx

eBay Item Headline: 18ct Two-Tone Yellow/White Gold Chain 14.5g

eBay Item Quantity:

eBay Item Unit Value: £200.00 GBP

Message PAYPAL VERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS

Note: NAME:.........MELIZA .O.KUNLE
ADDRESS: ....17 KUSHIMO STR. GRA,
CITY:...................... OGUDU-OJOTA
STATE:.....................OJOTA LAGOS
ZIP CODE: ................ 23401

Shipping Information:
Address: Verified.
Address Status: Confirmed.

Please respond within the next 24hrs.

The "official" PayPal corporate offices are at:
Centennial Hall 128
1000 S. Franklin
Kirksville, MO 63501
Thank you for using paypal ® .
We look forward serving your online auction payment needs in the future.
Sincerely,
Gene Braint
Paypal Customer Care,
Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Can anyone confirm this isn't a genuine paypal email??

Westsider3
15-Sep-09, 18:33
Don't send anything! I think this is a total scam. I would forward the emails to ebay and they will deal with them. If they are genuine I think they should show up on your email account and on your ebay account under 'My Messages'.

rob1
15-Sep-09, 18:36
I agree with westsider3. Don't send anything until you get paid. If you don't get paid I would contact ebay

Venture
15-Sep-09, 18:38
Dragonfly I too would say this is suspicious. I wouldn't deal with anyone from Nigeria, too many scams originate from there. Send an email to ebay and get them to verify if the email is genuine or not. Anything to do with PayPal should be queried through the secure log in process.

joxville
15-Sep-09, 18:52
If you do get the money then transfer it to your bank account immediately. Many people have been stung by sending the item only for the buyer to claim they haven't recieved it, Paypal takes the side of the buyer and takes the money from your Paypal account to refund the buyer or freezes your account to stop you getting the cash.

Personally I would notify Paypal and cancel the transaction, it sounds too dodgy.

teenybash
15-Sep-09, 18:54
Sound highly suspect....Nigeria is reknowned for scams.........................Good advice you have already been given and inform Ebay and Paypal and just to be on the safe side change passwords.

achingale
15-Sep-09, 19:00
This is a scam. Paypal send you a genuine e-mail re payment with details only you would knowand they always tell you that you can view your transations on their site. Make sure any payment you receive has cleared before you ship anything to anyone. Report this to paypal like joxville says.

davie
15-Sep-09, 19:00
The only action you should take with this is to forward all emails to scam@paypal.com (I think that is the correct addy.)
On no account send any goods or get involved in anything financial - the whole deal is 100% SCAM.

Kodiak
15-Sep-09, 19:25
Forward the WHOLE e-mail to :-

Spoof@paypal.com

They will be able to tell you that this is indeed a Scam.

Do Not send anything unless paid.

You can also send the Details to :-

Spoof@ebay.co.uk

They will also be able to help

Also PayPal do not start anything off with Dear XXXXX

All their e-mails start off with

Hello XXXX The XXXX Being your Christian Name and NOT your eBay Name.

PayPal Always uses your Christian Name in all Communications as this is there security as most scammers will not know your Christian Name.

I also notice that in the e-mail you received it says this :-

Get back to us with the shipping tracking number and your account will be credited immediately. Mail the tracking number to our Shipment verification department at (derswebhelp@post.com)

This e-mail they say to write to is not a PayPal address, all PayPal address end with @paypal.com

dragonfly
15-Sep-09, 19:34
thanks all, I know its a scam and I have a folder full of exchanged emails between me and "her" I have even told her she is a scammer and refused to conclude sale however knowing I have entered an agreeement I have kept it going but only on the understanding that her payment clears before I send the chain.

will send to ebay/paypal now

thanks

redeyedtreefrog
15-Sep-09, 20:13
Check your PayPal account on their site to see if the funds have been credited.

BINBOB
15-Sep-09, 21:48
thanks all, I know its a scam and I have a folder full of exchanged emails between me and "her" I have even told her she is a scammer and refused to conclude sale however knowing I have entered an agreeement I have kept it going but only on the understanding that her payment clears before I send the chain.

will send to ebay/paypal now

thanks
U are doing the right thing....

dragonfly
15-Sep-09, 21:50
Check your PayPal account on their site to see if the funds have been credited.

how do I do that?

redeyedtreefrog
15-Sep-09, 22:01
how do I do that?

Go to Paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and login with you email and password. Then it will show your payment history, and there should be £300 credited.

Kodiak
15-Sep-09, 22:05
Go to the PayPal Login Page. Type in your PayPal e-mail address and then you Password Click the Log in Button and you will be taken to your PayPal Account. In there you will find all PayPal Transactions.

Below is a a Copy and Paste of the PayPal Login Page :-

http://i26.tinypic.com/bhjdja.jpg

dragonfly
15-Sep-09, 22:08
yes did that after receiving the emails and its not listed there

email is from Service@Paypal.co.uk <clients.verifications@post.com> which doesn't seem to be right either

Kodiak
15-Sep-09, 22:31
If there is no record of a Payment in your PayPal Account then no money has been sent.

At the end of every PalPal Notfication of a Payment received you would get the Following with a PayPal e-mail ID. I have removed the e-mail ID as it is personal to one of my e-mails from PayPal. You will the address is very different to the one you received at the end of the e-mail sent to you.

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PPXXXX

So I would ignore these e-mails and report the whole thing to eBay and request a refund of your Listing and seller Fees.

dragonfly
15-Sep-09, 22:36
spoof@ebay have replied and confirmed it is a fake email so have been scammed [evil] now have to try and get my final fee reimbursed [evil][evil]

crayola
15-Sep-09, 23:59
PayPal would never send such a poorly written, badly punctuated and dreadfully laid-out email. It's obviously the work of amateurs.

It worries me that no-one has commented on that. :(

wee sparkle
16-Sep-09, 00:07
Everything about that email rang alarm bells in my head, and Crayola is right, its such a badly laid out letter, they didnt put much thought into it!

Glad to hear you got it all sorted :)

oldmarine
16-Sep-09, 05:46
You have received good advice from all the previous. There are a lot of scam artists out there trying to get your money.

bothyman
16-Sep-09, 08:49
From what I can make out, Paypal can still take the money back even if it is in your paypal account and you have transfered it to your Bank Account.
They just claim back money that goes into you Paypal Account.

Reversals:
Please be aware that your payment can still be reversed, (e.g. if it is subject to a chargeback), even after you have posted the item to your buyer. Complying with PayPal's protection programmes and following the trading guidelines, in our Security Centre (https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=_security-center-outside) helps to protect you from things like chargebacks.

just forget it or tell them to sent the money another way.

The Angel Of Death
16-Sep-09, 10:21
If you do get the money then transfer it to your bank account immediately.

From what I can make out, Paypal can still take the money back even if it is in your paypal account and you have transfered it to your Bank Account.

Exactly regardless of if you have the money in the account or not they WILL claim it back if its in the account or not leaving you with bank charges etc

What you would find is if the payment came through it would have been from a hacked / stolen account and you would have been out the item and the cash at the same time

General rule of thumb any mention of Nigeria or sending it to my cousin there and increasing the postage to some mental figure dont touch it with a scabby stick

What annoys me is the lack of help and assistance ebay / paypal give to customers when they get scammed most of the time its tough deal with it

ter21wat
16-Sep-09, 11:09
If someone make a payment to you via paypal it is automatically credited to your paypal account and will show in your transaction history. You should always wait for the payment to show in paypal before shipping an item and not the other way around. The point of paypal is that it protects both the buyer and the seller - the buyer pays for the item but if its not recieved they can lodge a complaint with paypal and they will claim the money back from the seller.

dragonfly
16-Sep-09, 15:56
What annoys me is the lack of help and assistance ebay / paypal give to customers when they get scammed most of the time its tough deal with it

just finding that out now, sent about 3 emails to them and not one response yet I go on the community forum and find someone else with exactly the same scam played on them, so respond and give the buyers address to see if its the same one and 2 minutes after submitting it got a snotty letter from ebay telling me I have gone against their policy and my post had been removed and not to do it again! replied saying i wish my complaint was as quickly dealt with as that!

ok here's another!

I have sold another item and this time it is genuine, the money is showing in paypal as received and completed - should I send the goods now or wait until the funds are transferred to my bank account??

sorry but new to selling so unsure

BINBOB
16-Sep-09, 16:47
just finding that out now, sent about 3 emails to them and not one response yet I go on the community forum and find someone else with exactly the same scam played on them, so respond and give the buyers address to see if its the same one and 2 minutes after submitting it got a snotty letter from ebay telling me I have gone against their policy and my post had been removed and not to do it again! replied saying i wish my complaint was as quickly dealt with as that!

ok here's another!

I have sold another item and this time it is genuine, the money is showing in paypal as received and completed - should I send the goods now or wait until the funds are transferred to my bank account??

Wait for the money to be in ur account.....do not part with ur item/s until then.good luck.;)

Venture
16-Sep-09, 17:40

ok here's another!

Do you not have to transfer the funds yourself to your bank account?

In the past I have sent goods once the money is in the paypal account.

Allsorts
16-Sep-09, 18:00
Yes you have to transfer it yourself into your bank account, if there are funds in your paypal account then you have the money and can send the goods.

redeyedtreefrog
16-Sep-09, 18:13
Once the money is in your paypal account, you can send the item, it has been paid for.

dragonfly
16-Sep-09, 18:31
Do you not have to transfer the funds yourself to your bank account?

In the past I have sent goods once the money is in the paypal account.

yes I have transferred the money from my paypal account to my bank account and its showing as pending but was unsure if I should wait until the money was actually in my bank account or safe to send now - as others above have said, its safe to send now so will post tomorrow

thanks for all help, just unsure especially as 1st experience was a scam....grrrrrrrrrrr

ter21wat
16-Sep-09, 21:10
Once the payment is showing in your paypal account the money is yours and it is safe to ship the item. You can then choose to transfer the payment to your bank account, which can take up to 5 days, or leave it in you paypal account and use it to pay for purchases you make.
The only way the money can be taken back from your paypal account once the buyers payment has been made is if the buyer lodges a dispute with paypal and they investigate and decide in favour of the buyer - in which case, regardless of whether the payment is in you paypal account or you have transfered it to your bank account it can still be refunded to the buyer.

Kodiak
16-Sep-09, 22:06
As soon as the money is paid into you PayPal account you Should post the item ASAP.

If you are transfering money from your PayPal Account to your Bank Account then this will take up to 7 Working days, not counting the weekends, to be comlpleted.

I would suggest that you apply for a PayPal Pre-Paid Visa Debit Card as then if you have one you can get your money al LOT Quicker.

If you transfer money from your PayPal Account to a PayPal Pre-Paid Debit Visa Card it just takes 24 hours. Then you can either spend the money like anyother Card or you can withdraw Cash from a ATM.

This is a quicker way of getting the CASH from your PayPal account.

A PayPal Pre-Paid Visa Debit Card will cost you £4.95 to buy. There are NO Credit Checks and you do not need a Bank Account but it does help if you have a PayPal Account.

You can apply here :-

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/PPTUCHome-outside

ter21wat
16-Sep-09, 22:16
I would suggest that you apply for a PayPal Pre-Paid Visa Debit Card as then if you have one you can get your money al LOT Quicker.

If you transfer money from your PayPal Account to a PayPal Pre-Paid Debit Visa Card it just takes 24 hours. Then you can either spend the money like anyother Card or you can withdraw Cash from a ATM.

This is a quicker way of getting the CASH from your PayPal account.

A PayPal Pre-Paid Visa Debit Card will cost you £4.95 to buy. There are NO Credit Checks and you do not need a Bank Account but it does help if you have a PayPal Account.

You can apply here :-

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/PPTUCHome-outside[/quote]

Cool, didnt know about the pre-paid visa debit card, what a good idea! Its such a pain having to wait so long for your money to be transfered from your paypal to your bank account. Thanks for the link :Razz

oldmarine
17-Sep-09, 13:20
I don't have a Pay Pal account and have never used them yet I keep getting reports from them about my Pay Pal account. Makes me quite suspicious of them. Could be someone else trying to draw me in.

Also have never used ebay. Guess this old bird is not up-to-date, but I still get along okay.

Kodiak
17-Sep-09, 13:38
I don't have a Pay Pal account and have never used them yet I keep getting reports from them about my Pay Pal account. Makes me quite suspicious of them. Could be someone else trying to draw me in.

Also have never used ebay. Guess this old bird is not up-to-date, but I still get along okay.

This happens to every bank, people send out phishing e-mails trying to information.

They send out these e-mail's to as many e-mail addresses as they can, millions of them and if they even get only 0.25% answering that is a huge amount of people.

Every day I get e-mails claiming to be from Banks that I have not only never delt with, but I have not even heard of before. They all just get put in the Trash.

If anyone does have a PayPal account and receives a e-mail they are not sure of then they have a simple security measure.

When they write to you they Always adress it with your Real Name and not Dear Member or your eBay Name.

Also if you are still not certain just forward the Mail to Spoof@paypal.com and they will adise you if it is a Genuine e-mail or not. If it is not they will take it from there and will try to stop further e-mails from that account.

If in doubt just trash it and ignore, that is what I do.

Blast!
17-Sep-09, 16:12
I wouldn't deal with anyone from Nigeria

You massive racist.

_Ju_
17-Sep-09, 18:44
You massive racist.

It is a country not a people.

oldmarine
18-Sep-09, 17:43
This happens to every bank, people send out phishing e-mails trying to information.

They send out these e-mail's to as many e-mail addresses as they can, millions of them and if they even get only 0.25% answering that is a huge amount of people.

Every day I get e-mails claiming to be from Banks that I have not only never delt with, but I have not even heard of before. They all just get put in the Trash.

If anyone does have a PayPal account and receives a e-mail they are not sure of then they have a simple security measure.

When they write to you they Always adress it with your Real Name and not Dear Member or your eBay Name.

Also if you are still not certain just forward the Mail to Spoof@paypal.com and they will adise you if it is a Genuine e-mail or not. If it is not they will take it from there and will try to stop further e-mails from that account.

If in doubt just trash it and ignore, that is what I do.

Good advice. I subscribe to this comment.

bothyman
18-Sep-09, 18:42
The easiest way to find out is to go to the Official Website and log in.
If it's not on there, it's not real.