PDA

View Full Version : Livery - what would you pay

munron
15-Sep-09, 17:30
I am not looking or offering but I just wondered what you would expect to pay for DIY livery.

Say there would be stables, tack / food store area, straw and sileage included or it would have to be bring your own hay. Acres of land ranging from excellent to rough grazing.

As an aside would you expect to pay a premium for a sand school.

I do have a lightbulb in my head hence specifics.

froal
15-Sep-09, 18:34
I think the going rate is about £20 a week but i think you have to supply your own hay feed etc
I'am renting down the road from my house DIY 1 stable, hay barn and small paddock £15 per week if i muck out the paddock of poo ! and £20 if i don't ! have bought in all my own hay and straw and hard feed no arena but don't require one. I think down south it's a lot more expensive :roll:

madman
15-Sep-09, 19:05
Hi in south east i paid £25 per week for stable grazing and use of indoor school but we supplied all our bedding and fodder,but a friend of mine pays £35 for stable and grazing have no idea what it cost up here as have horses at home

munron
15-Sep-09, 20:21
Thanks both, my lightbulb involves my neighbour and their three vacant stables, not his idea but mine as if he rented them out I might get hacking chums. I can aye say to him anyhoo.

I might be well wrong but I did the calculations for achalone and came out at £60 quid a week DIY - but as I said I might be reading the table wrong.

I went to Gleneagles recently (yes I am that poash ha ha) and they charge up to £40 per day full livery!!!!

madman
16-Sep-09, 08:40
Thanks both, my lightbulb involves my neighbour and their three vacant stables, not his idea but mine as if he rented them out I might get hacking chums. I can aye say to him anyhoo.

I might be well wrong but I did the calculations for achalone and came out at £60 quid a week DIY - but as I said I might be reading the table wrong.

I went to Gleneagles recently (yes I am that poash ha ha) and they charge up to £40 per day full livery!!!!i can believe that when we had our yard we charged £100 p/w for full and £150 p/w for schooling /breaking livery we didn't do diy but that was about 7/8 yrs ago so its probably alot more now glad mine are at home

divanp75
16-Sep-09, 10:02
I know someone down south (Cumbria) that backs and schools. She charges 100 + vat a week full livery exercised everyday. (She Qualified & competed at Olympia the last 4 years)

Diane

Kathy@watten
16-Sep-09, 12:45
Don't know what others charge but anytime I have had liveries (not that it is what I really do) I charge £25 for stable, turnout and all hay and bedding, owners have to muckout and turnout and provide hard feed themselves. On the rare occasion I have taken a full livery I charged £70 a week and did everything including excercise 3 times a week, owner could then just turn up and ride etc as and when they please. Don't think at this I will make it onto Alan Sugar's list of budding millionaires!

teenybash
16-Sep-09, 13:24
My daughter pays £80 full livery including exercise but supplies hard feed herself...she is in Ayrshire............

wickchick
16-Sep-09, 15:57
Intresting thread! I am in the middle of setting out my prices and trying to decide if haylage is a luxury. LOL

munron
16-Sep-09, 17:29
Thanks everyone for replying, it is interesting to me as I had a higher figure in my head but I have never had a horse on livery so I dont have a scooby.

Horse ownership seems a lot more accessible to all, which can only be a good thing

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
16-Sep-09, 18:12
really depends on the facilities available though doesn't it.... place i lived on in dingwall was only around 20 per week for stable and paddock no feed or bedding but..... it had 30ish x 60ish metre outdoor school , working hunter course, gallops, full set of jumps etc - immaculate facilities and very safety concious.....

then £30 pw in a dump of a place in aberdeen with barbed wire, ragwort , awkward owner.....

or £35 pw diy on a massive yard with small outdoor school but hay and straw included in price.....

really hard to work out....

munron
16-Sep-09, 19:05
The other thing possibly, like with farmers, they might do it cheaper but no have no fall back incase of emergencies (ie you cant see to your horse for some reason), probably all insurance might fall to the horse owner.

Also some yards may give a cheaper price to someone who is more likely to help out, be nice to have around - but that probably doesnt make business sense - which is why I could never do livery, havent got room anyway what with all my waifs and strays ha ha.

As you say MA it is all about what you want for your coin, if money is tighter then you could approach a farmer. If you want a secure purpose built place with facilities then you would expect to pay a premium.

I think both options are good though because it does open up owning a horse to a lot more people if you can get cheap bed and board for your happy hacker, or tighten your belt further and get a bit of luxury at livery (well goods ones at least)