PDA

View Full Version : Burley stays

Amy-Winehouse
15-Sep-09, 14:25
Scotland have decided they wont be going to the next tournament in 2012 either by keeping Mr Burley in his position as Scotland football team manager.:eek:

Anyone else shaking their heads in unison with about 1 million other Scots at this moment in time:Razz

Metalattakk
15-Sep-09, 15:00
Nope, no surprise here. Told you so last week (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=593771&postcount=61). The SFA are gutless and unprepared to pay the severance fee.

Still, the job's up for review again at the end of this season.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Sep-09, 15:23
Agreed. Means we'll be seeing more of Chris Iwelumo and no chance of Kris Boyd returning to the team. Dang.

The Angel Of Death
15-Sep-09, 15:24
Tis all about the cash we either dont want to or dont have the cash to pay him off and are prepaired to take the chance that he will be able to turn it around

Cattach
15-Sep-09, 15:40
Scotland have decided they wont be going to the next tournament in 2012 either by keeping Mr Burley in his position as Scotland football team manager.:eek:

Anyone else shaking their heads in unison with about 1 million other Scots at this moment in time:Razz

Been involved in football and a football fan for over 50 years. Seen Scotland managers come and go and most have been worse by far than George Burley. Good decision by the SFA on this occasion.

Cattach
15-Sep-09, 15:42
Agreed. Means we'll be seeing more of Chris Iwelumo and no chance of Kris Boyd returning to the team. Dang.

Chris Boyd did not want to play just like most Rangers players who are not Scotland orientated but are Union Jack wavers.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Sep-09, 15:57
Chris Boyd did not want to play just like most Rangers players who are not Scotland orientated but are Union Jack wavers.

Let's leave that one for now, and at least try to see if this thread can make it beyond Page 2 before being closed.

Metalattakk
15-Sep-09, 16:10
Ill-informed tosh.

Alexander
Weir
Whittaker
Naismith
Miller

All from the last squad vs Netherlands.

scotsboy
15-Sep-09, 16:18
Ill-informed tosh.

Alexander
Weir
Whittaker
Naismith
Miller

All from the last squad vs Netherlands.

Correct, and whay cant the Union Flag be waved at Scotland matches, it embodies the Saltire.

teddybear1873
15-Sep-09, 16:30
We've gone from George Burley, to the Rangers players, then Union Jack flags. What's that got to do with the original topic?

I'm not surprised that Burley is staying. The board just needs to concentrate on finding a half reasonable manager.....I don't think they will find one.

John Baikie
15-Sep-09, 17:42
All this means is that in another 2 years time, we'll be sitting here saddened at missing out on yet another major championship, and asking ourselves whether the new manager will be able to very quickly fix things and get us to the 2014 World Cup. That's a hell of a long time away. Burley is an incompetent and uninspiring manager. Can you imagine him getting players motivated?? Too many big mistakes in games we should have won cannot be glossed over with 2 big efforts when it was just about too late. That was more down to the team running on the big game adrenalin than anything else.

I'm disappointed that once again the SFA have been gutless.

jambo
15-Sep-09, 17:43
does it not seem strange that its mostly rangers fans thats not happy with george burley i wonder why and what rangers person do u think should get the job.

John Baikie
15-Sep-09, 17:44
does it not seem strange that its mostly rangers fans thats not happy with george burley i wonder why and what rangers person do u think should get the job.

Yet more ill-informed crap. I'd say the majority of SCOTLAND fans wanted change.

joxville
15-Sep-09, 17:58
I reckon Scotland should get a manager with experience at the top flight of football, someone with international experience too. Might I suggest Bertie Vogts? ;)

[lol]

Metalattakk
15-Sep-09, 17:59

I'm a Rangers fan, and I advocated Strachan for the job. How does that fit into your warped agenda?

teddybear1873
15-Sep-09, 18:06

As you can see, I'm a Rangers fan and I couldn't care less if a Celtic man got the job. I would welcome Gordon Strachan to the job, hey I would be happy with Martin O'Neil.

This topic shouldn't be turned into a Celtic or Rangers issue. It's about the managers post, nothing else.

Bazeye
15-Sep-09, 18:14
I thought this thread was going to be lingerie for the larger lady.:eek:

teddybear1873
15-Sep-09, 18:21

Thats the Ann Summers topic Bazeye haha.

Amy-Winehouse
15-Sep-09, 19:03
Let's leave that one for now, and at least try to see if this thread can make it beyond Page 2 before being closed.

No often I agree with Pepsi but on this occasion , I most certainly do

Amy-Winehouse
15-Sep-09, 19:05

Well it is in a way , coz george Burley is a big girls blouse imo

Stig
15-Sep-09, 20:23

In the words of the famous Arthur Montford ( i think ) " DISASTER FOR SCOTLAND "

parkie
15-Sep-09, 21:05
don,t put all the blame on the manager, blame the player,s they get well paid but do they earn it ??

teddybear1873
15-Sep-09, 21:15
don,t put all the blame on the manager, blame the player,s they get well paid but do they earn it ??

We can sit here untill were blue in the face and blame one or the other, I don't either. Blame the way how they teach the youngters, " Aye son, boot that ball as far as you can up that pitch and by time, the ball will go in the net"

Were way behind the times of other nations and always will be.

teddybear1873
15-Sep-09, 21:17
Oh man, we got moved!!

The Angel Of Death
15-Sep-09, 22:43

Do players actually get paid for representing there country though and if they do I bet its nowhere near the wages the club pays

jambo
15-Sep-09, 23:14
Yet more ill-informed crap. I'd say the majority of SCOTLAND fans wanted change.

and who told u it was more ill- informed crap and how do u know the majority wanted change did u read it in the glasgow press.

jambo
15-Sep-09, 23:16
I'm a Rangers fan, and I advocated Strachan for the job. How does that fit into your warped agenda?

warped agenda im only going by all the rangers supporters in this thread.

Metalattakk
16-Sep-09, 00:29
warped agenda im only going by all the rangers supporters in this thread.

That in itself is a warped agenda. :roll:

Metalattakk
16-Sep-09, 00:31
and who told u it was more ill- informed crap and how do u know the majority wanted change did u read it in the glasgow press.

It's his opinion - notice he said "I'd say the majority..."

Jings, you're not covering yourself in glory here, are you now? :roll: [lol]

Metalattakk
16-Sep-09, 00:34
Do players actually get paid for representing there country though and if they do I bet its nowhere near the wages the club pays

I believe they do get paid - an appearance fee they used to call it - and it's not really a lot of money. Couple of hundred quid to cover travel etc.

I could be wrong of course, after all this is only my opinion.

Amy-Winehouse
16-Sep-09, 07:47
That in itself is a warped agenda. :roll:

Excuse me Metalattakk, are you saying all the Bears are warped?
You state every time you get a chance that your a Bear yet at every opportunity you slag Rangers fans off- Rangers fans get it tight from everyone these days, we dont need our own so called fans sticking the boot in... Away & support Aberdeen or celtc - I dont want fans who appear to revel in backstabbing their own support, its embarrassing .:~(

As for scotland players ,
Its their clubs who pay their wages not the SFA.
they get an appearance money each time they play but it isnt very much.
theres the chance of injury- more so in internationals as Gers & Celts players usually find out to their cost!!!
The chance to be slagged off enmasse by the hamish husband brigade-fans of the diddy clubs whilst playing for their country .
And the chance to work with Steven Pressley George Burley & Terry Butcher, when youve been working with Walter Smith or Sir Alex Ferguson , Martin Oneill, Strachan, fans who worship you, its a bit of a let down for some eh. Then you get to play with the legendary Graham Alexander, Callum Davidson & co

Metalattakk
16-Sep-09, 10:06
Excuse me Metalattakk, are you saying all the Bears are warped?

Apologies, I should have said "That statement in itself is indicative of a warped agenda. :roll:".

You state every time you get a chance that your a Bear yet at every opportunity you slag Rangers fans off- Rangers fans get it tight from everyone these days, we dont need our own so called fans sticking the boot in... Away & support Aberdeen or celtc - I dont want fans who appear to revel in backstabbing their own support, its embarrassing .:~(

I'm a Rangers fan. I'm not a fan of many Rangers fans. I support Rangers for the football, not the tribal bull-dust that surrounds it.

Just because I support the same team as you, doesn't make me the same as you, or any other Rangers fan. We're not a bunch of 8-year-olds, and I don't have to be in your gang, OK?

Amy-Winehouse
16-Sep-09, 13:28
Apologies, I should have said "That statement in itself is indicative of a warped agenda. :roll:".

I'm a Rangers fan. I'm not a fan of many Rangers fans. I support Rangers for the football, not the tribal bull-dust that surrounds it.

Support Rangers for the football!!?? 99% of us support Rangers for the football otherwise why bother.

Just because I support the same team as you, doesn't make me the same as you, or any other Rangers fan. We're not a bunch of 8-year-olds, and I don't have to be in your gang, OK?

Eh? When did I say I had a gang? If I did, you definatley wouldnt be in it;)

Metalattakk
16-Sep-09, 14:45
Eh? When did I say I had a gang? If I did, you definatley wouldnt be in it;)

Why not? Because I don't subscribe to your opinion of what a 'Rangers supporter' should be like?

Tell you what - You can stick to singing songs about wars that happened in faraway countries involving foreign people hundreds of years ago, waving your Union Jacks, singing Rule Britannia and wearing your England top, all to wind up Celtic fans.

I'll stick to supporting my team thank you very much. ;)

Amy-Winehouse
16-Sep-09, 15:53
Tell you what - You can stick to singing songs about wars that happened in faraway countries involving foreign people hundreds of years ago, waving your Union Jacks, singing Rule Britannia and wearing your England top, all to wind up Celtic fans.

I'll stick to supporting my team thank you very much. ;)

More ill informed Metalattak mince,

1 . I dont own a union flag.
2. Flower of Scotland, isnt that about a battle hundreds of years ago?
3. Id never dream of owning or wearing an Englund top.
4. All my best mates are celtc fans & we know how far to push each other
5. This is a scotland & George burley thread so lets return to it please.

On a brighter note Steven Pressley has been punted from the coaching side of Scotland staff. Hope Butcher is next

Metalattakk
16-Sep-09, 16:09
More ill informed Metalattak mince,

1 . I dont own a union flag.
2. Flower of Scotland, isnt that about a battle hundreds of years ago?
3. Id never dream of owning or wearing an Englund top.
4. All my best mates are celtc fans & we know how far to push each other
Yep, maybe I've got you all wrong, Amy...

5. This is a scotland & George burley thread so lets return to it please.

On a brighter note Steven Pressley has been punted from the coaching side of Scotland staff. Hope Butcher is next

But who'd set out the cones for training then? Would you trust Burley to get it right himself?

Looking back on it all, now that it's settled that Burley keeps his job, he's probably the only viable person for the position currently. Best of a bad, bad bunch maybe.

Amy-Winehouse
16-Sep-09, 18:23
There was a time in the 90`s when Roy Aitken was manager of Aberdeen & he went to see Walter Smith for tips on training as Aberdeen were bottom of the league & Rangers were on 6 in a row at the time, any ways,

Aitken arrives in Govan & Archie Knox & Smith are putting the squad through their paces in training , 1 touch, heading, penalties then Smith gets the cones out and the squad play a 1 touch match through the cones which are painted green & white. Aitken was impressed and told Smith "Im gona try that with my team as your boys are pretty good at the 1 touch stuff, thanks Walter".

A couple of weeks go by & Rangers are due to play Aberdeen at Pittodrie so Walter phones Aitken up on the Thursday & asks "how did you get on with the training since we saw you last?" Aitken says `Not good Walter, we painted the cones the colour of our enemies, blue & white with black& red" , Walter butted in an says "whit do ya mean not good?!"
Aitken says" The cones beat us 2-0 yesterday & 4-0 today" [lol]

Strachan would be about the same size as one of those cones, so that rules him out. How about Billy Davies or ...............Gary McCallister

teddybear1873
16-Sep-09, 22:38
Dear, dear dear. Is it someone's period again?

Metalattakk
16-Sep-09, 23:26
Dear, dear dear. Is it someone's period again?

That comment is worth the entrance fee alone.

Where do we get them from?

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Sep-09, 12:44
"Argentina, your Blueness?"

Opinion on Burley has been split like a Terry's chocolate orange. I think any other managerial targets were ignored due to them not living - or wanting to live - in Scotland. I can't be sure. However, he did instill a wee bit of passion into the players, but then it's such a long way off until the next competitive fixture.

Rangers got a good result last night, they might nearly have even won it.