PDA

View Full Version : Confusing names

Lanskee17
15-Sep-09, 12:59
I'm trying to trace my ancestors who came from Wick in 1844. John Sutherland Buchanan born 1833 in Wick, his parents Isaac ???? and Margaret. He married Charlotte Ross about 1868 and they had 4 children, Charles Sutherland Buchanan abt 1869, Margaret Sutherland Buchanan abt 1870, (no trace in Aust of these 2) John Buchanan Jnr 1873 and Grace Douglas Buchanan 1875 born here in Australia. I am totally confused as to all the middle names.....can I find out a way to sort this family out????
Thankyou.....:confused

cuthill
15-Sep-09, 23:51
Hi I found Isaac Sutherland married Margaret Buchanan on 21/01/1831 in Wick but cannot find any of the children,dont know if this is your family.

trinkie
16-Sep-09, 08:22
Using 'Sutherland' as a middle name could be for a couple of reasons. After a grandparent or relation or after the County they had been Cleared from as was the case in my family.
Sometimes the middle name comes from the doctor who delivered the child or their church minister. Perhaps you can clarify this by looking at certificates and seeing if the name appears there.

We often hear grandparents being called after the name of their village - informally .... Grandpa Keiss, or Grannie Lybster for example. With other folk in the village you could have Johnnie the Post or Jeannie the nurse etc etc .

Good luck
Trinkie

Lanskee17
17-Sep-09, 11:15
Hi I found Isaac Sutherland married Margaret Buchanan on 21/01/1831 in Wick but cannot find any of the children,dont know if this is your family.
This is good as the marriage is close to the birth of my G/grandad. Thanks. Does it matter if the surnames are switched?

Lanskee17
17-Sep-09, 11:17
Using 'Sutherland' as a middle name could be for a couple of reasons. After a grandparent or relation or after the County they had been Cleared from as was the case in my family.
Sometimes the middle name comes from the doctor who delivered the child or their church minister. Perhaps you can clarify this by looking at certificates and seeing if the name appears there.

We often hear grandparents being called after the name of their village - informally .... Grandpa Keiss, or Grannie Lybster for example. With other folk in the village you could have Johnnie the Post or Jeannie the nurse etc etc .

Good luck
Trinkie
The middle name is on marriage and death certs but I have not been able to find any birth certificates for them. Thanks for explaining the possibilities though.