PDA

View Full Version : How long can a cough go on?

Angel
14-Sep-09, 20:18
I have had this cough now for 7 weeks... is this normal or should I be worried?
The doctor gave me anti-biotics in week 3 but the didn'd appear to work...
Went back and was given some nasel spray/inhaler, still no joy...
Am I alone or are there more with similar symtoms out there...
Seem to have a continuing headache to, but I think that may because of lack of sleep and the coughing!

Angel...

joxville
14-Sep-09, 20:23
Go back to your GP, explain further how you feel. Apart from DOCTOR, no-one on here is qualified to give medical advice.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Sep-09, 20:34
Angel if its any consolation my sister had this bug and it left her with the cough for months.

I would agree with Jox pop back to your GP even if it is just for reassurance. :)

shamrock2007
14-Sep-09, 20:38
My pal had this & the cough went on & on but won't hurt to go back to the Doc just to be on the safe side, maybe they will do a chest xray just to check there is no chest infection etc. Hope your better soon

BINBOB
14-Sep-09, 22:42
I started coughing 20 years ago and still do...........non smoker too...........just got flu.
Go back to ur dr. ...........best bet.Hope it goes soon.;)

Gizmo
14-Sep-09, 22:54
I'm into my 17th day with it, i also had a fever along with it for 3 days, the fever has passed, but the cough rages on, i had anti-biotics last week, but this is a persistant brute of a cough, i'm mildly asthmatic as well, and during the night i have been waking up with a coughing fit and completely unable to breathe, it's been pretty damn scary, so this morning it was back to the Doc, this time around i got a five day heavy doze of steroids to take, hopefully that will work.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Sep-09, 22:55
I'm into my 17th day with it, i also had a fever along with it for 3 days, the fever has passed, but the cough rages on, i had anti-biotics last week, but this is a persistant brute of a cough, i'm mildly asthmatic as well, and during the night i have been waking up with a coughing fit and completely unable to breathe, it's been pretty damn scary, so this morning it was back to the Doc, this time around i got a five day heavy doze of steroids to take, hopefully that will work.

Sounds very scary. Hope this gets you hale and harty again. :)

Kathy@watten
14-Sep-09, 23:00
Well with the advent of the internet thought we are all now fully signed up google doctors??? Whether it a sniffle or a rash we instantly google it and give ourselves either the heebie jeebies and start to plan our own funeral or go see our doc with their most hated start to a consultation " I have this whatever and looked up on google and I think I need X Y or Z"
Truly if this cough bothers you go and see the Doctor again if the steroids don't take effect, tho they are fab at the wondercure for suchlikes!

sweetpea
14-Sep-09, 23:30
Hey you know what they say it's not the cough that carries you off.......its the coffin they carry you off in [lol]

Gizmo
14-Sep-09, 23:53
Sounds very scary. Hope this gets you hale and harty again. :)

It is indeed, and 'breathing difficulty' is amplified when the panic sets in, it's bloody scary when your coughing but can't get air back in your lungs, even for the 30 secs it lasts for, and because it starts so quickly it's damn near impossible to take the inhaler to ease it off.

flyfifer
15-Sep-09, 09:23
Gizmo, I've been exactly the same - like you mildly asthmatic. Got a fright one morning when I gave a big cough, then couldn't get breath back in!!!! Got steroids from doc too, but did not help. Doc then suggested Sudafed, took two doses yesterday and it seems to be easing things. Still woke coughing during the night, but not to the choking stage like it has been for the last 2 weeks. Do please seek your own Docs advice before taking Sudafed as it may not agree with you for some reason.... Hope you are all feeling better soon!

lorr_mun14
15-Sep-09, 10:07
I was surprised to hear from colleagues down South that they were diagnosed with Swine flu and all they had was a flu which left them with a persistent cough and sore heads! I had the same thing but was never checked for swine flu! Still have a cough!

poppett
15-Sep-09, 22:09
Just when going to bed try blending equal quantities of butter and sugar to a cream. Make the mixture into tea spoon sized blobs and let one disolve slowly. This should keep you cough free long enough to get a good nights sleep. It is an old victorian remedy for whooping cough and has worked for lots of folk I have recommended it to. Sounds awful, but anything that tastes awful must be doing some good.

spurtle
15-Sep-09, 22:11
I've had this for two weeks now

joxville
15-Sep-09, 22:15
How long can a cough go on? Until you're dead. :)

highland red
15-Sep-09, 22:21
I'm afraid that I wouldn't take any chances with stuff like this. I had a virus - just the sort where you go to bed and take Paracetamol etc.

I too couldn't shake it off. I ended up in Raigmore Hospital after they discovered the virus had attacked the AV node in my heart and basicaly destroyed it. Ended up with three lots of surgery and a cardiac pacemaker.

It taught me that you can never be too careful when it comes to your health.

You must go back to your GP.

Gizmo
15-Sep-09, 22:31
Well, this heavy doze of steroids is having sod all effect on my cough, the only thing it has done has given me the appetite of a pack of lions, i could eat a scabby gazelle...or 3 :eek:

Nivelo
16-Sep-09, 03:09
I thought I was the only one. Yeah had the flu and that a few weeks ago and that cleared up without a problem except for this damn cough. Been driving me up the wall. Especially during the night. Can be hard catching my breath with it sometimes.
Bit of a strange flu if it disappears and only leaves a pain in the ass cough.

Aaldtimer
16-Sep-09, 03:43
Well, this heavy doze of steroids is having sod all effect on my cough, the only thing it has done has given me the appetite of a pack of lions, i could eat a scabby gazelle...or 3 :eek:

Ken fine what you mean Gizmo, I was exactly the same. Totally against my normal regime!
Funny thing was, the second time around it didn't have the same effect at all! Weird.:eek:

WickWitch
16-Sep-09, 14:45
Have you tried rubbing Vick (other products are available!) on your feet and then wearing socks at night? I know it sounds crazy but some people do say that it works...:eek:

pat
16-Sep-09, 17:08
One of the best things I find is to use an inhalation of steam - boil the kettle, allow it to cool a little, put some hot water in basin, add Vick, menthol etc - pop your head with towel drapped over and breathe in the steam.
Stay under for a good while and you will feel it easier to breathe and less coughing.

Worth a try - please be extremely careful with the hot water.

Angel
16-Sep-09, 21:56
Thank-you everyone for the advice... But things just got worse...
Coughed so much last night, I passed out... Straight to the doctors, straight for an ECG... they are fitting me with some electronic gizmo tomorrow as they think the infection may have moved to my heart...

I only want a pill, so it can all go away...

Hugs'n'stuff

Angel...

Alice in Blunderland
16-Sep-09, 22:00
Coughed so much last night, I passed out... Straight to the doctors, straight for an ECG... they are fitting me with some electronic gizmo tomorrow as they think the infection may have moved to my heart...

Hugs'n'stuff

Angel...

Take care and I hope they get to the bottom of this :)

joxville
16-Sep-09, 22:08

Hugs'n'stuff

Angel...

Hopefully it'll work better than the Org's Gizmo. [lol]

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon.

BINBOB
17-Sep-09, 10:42

Hugs'n'stuff

Angel...

Oh my goodness,poor u.Hope things will get better very soon.Thinking of u.take care.

Gizmo
17-Sep-09, 11:01
Hopefully it'll work better than the Org's Gizmo. [lol]

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon.

I wonder if a couple of triple A's up the jacksie would turn me into an Electronic Gizmo? :lol:

Still sod all improvement here either, still finding myself on my hand and knees, on the bedroom floor, at 4am, coughing like a mad thing and unable to get any air back to my lungs, the only effect these steroids are having, is making me hungry and grumpy...grrrrrr!!

katarina
17-Sep-09, 11:58
i had a cough for three months once. was sent for chest Xray, but it was clear. It did clear up eventually. I still often cough for no reason. I've never been a smoker either.

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-09, 12:05
I wonder if a couple of triple A's up the jacksie would turn me into an Electronic Gizmo? :lol:

mmm one cough and they would come shooting out again..................not a good idea :lol:

ShelleyCowie
17-Sep-09, 13:28
I cant stop coughing either! I had a cold about 3 weeks ago now and im still suffering! Cant let an infection bring me down just now though, no time to rest lol

Hope you get better soon!

joxville
17-Sep-09, 18:24
mmm one cough and they would come shooting out again..................not a good idea :lol:

I don't want to be standing behind him when they do. [lol]

Angel
22-Sep-09, 22:36
Gizmo recorded 'pass-out' 7 secs... now banned from driving until next monday...

Superbig anti-b's, nasel steroid spray, huge anti-hytermines...

I feel a slight improvment... until I have a drink...lol...

Getting there... slow but sure...

So for those who have P.Md me... thanks and get to the doc as it gets worse...

Angel...

Gizmo
22-Sep-09, 22:59
Gizmo recorded 'pass-out' 7 secs... now banned from driving until next monday...

Superbig anti-b's, nasel steroid spray, huge anti-hytermines...

I feel a slight improvment... until I have a drink...lol...

Getting there... slow but sure...

So for those who have P.Md me... thanks and get to the doc as it gets worse...

Angel...

Glad to hear you're feeling slightly better, i'm still coughing like a mad thing, and still struggling to get air back into my lungs during a coughing fit, gotta go get a chest x-ray in the morning :(

Scorpio12thNov
23-Sep-09, 22:08
try eating chilli's. 50p from the supermarket. work like magic

gpa
24-Sep-09, 20:22
Hi dont live in Caithness but found you all courtesy of Dr Google
Had a cough for about 8/9 weeks after bad flu, nose all gunked up and can feel glut going down throat all time, I dont smoke etc but sound as if I do.
Doc sent me to hospital for chest xray today but the radiologist wouldnt tell me the result and I started to cry ( the shame ) she told me to go back to doctors in 7/10 days for result.
So i kept trying to probe her for more info as worried I have lung cancer etc she said look I cannot tell you anything and if you want reassurance call youre doc in few days and they can look another way.
I am so worried had panic attack and collapsed, BP sky high dont smoke and dont think can take another day of worry
Doc said other day can be reflux also

gpa
01-Oct-09, 09:31
well my chest xray came back clear thankfully but still none the wiser going to the post nasal drip route or asthma for now

Rie
01-Oct-09, 10:12
Hope you get and feel better real soon Angel xxxx

Angel
02-Oct-09, 22:02
Now in my 10th week of this cough thingy... still coughing (but not as bad) no more black out's for 2 week, woke up last week with no voice, just getting it back... although I cannot shout... Now out of all medication... do I go back or do I give it more time...

Angel...

gpa
04-Oct-09, 11:58
Now in my 10th week of this cough thingy... still coughing (but not as bad) no more black out's for 2 week, woke up last week with no voice, just getting it back... although I cannot shout... Now out of all medication... do I go back or do I give it more time...

Angel...

Hi again

Well my cough still here also on 13th week!! an elderly couple i know use megazones (menthol cough sweet) searched high and low then went into local chemist who ordered some in for me and they are amazing so much so that half bus coming home from football yesterday had some as all sneezing everywhere which was no good for me :lol::roll:
They arent very pleasant but they do help.

I am going back to docs end of week but staying off antibiotics for now as body will be used to them,trying good old fashioned vitamin C now and kiwi fruit.

Angel are you getting about youre normal day to day routine?
Everyone else hope you are feeling better

cuddlepop
04-Oct-09, 16:43

Angel...

This sounds viral and unfortunatly not alot you can do for that its just got to work through your system.
Try some old fashioned honey@lemon drinks with some grated ginger for good measure.

Take care.:)

Margaret M.
04-Oct-09, 19:44
Dang, Angel, you are having a rough time. This sounds like a nasty thing doing the rounds. I hope you and the others in this thread who have it feel all better soon.

gpa
06-Oct-09, 23:06
my son is ashtmatic and now has some scary cough and doc wanted to give him tamiflu without even swabbing him and he is only 13, something to do with goverment guidlines I dont think so.
Been taking his peak flow and temp every few hours and been fine but tonight yes my cough is bad and so is his just as bad life sucks
But those little menthol things helping a bit
take care all xx

oldmarine
07-Oct-09, 14:54
My grandson has a cough due to allergies. Been to the physician and has done all she can do. I took him to a restaurant after I picked him up from Kindergarten. He caughed one time with that deep cough and a lady across from us stated that he should see a doctor. I replied that he had. I then cleared my throat with what seemed to be a cough and she cleared out of the restaurant. Shortly after that the manager stopped bye and started questioning my 5-year old grandson and me. Evidently, she was satisfied with the answers and left us alone. We had been in that restaurant several times before and I thought she recognised us.

Liz
07-Oct-09, 18:49
My poor sister has had a cough for a few years now!:eek:

She had a chest X-Ray which came back clear.

Tried a few natural remedies with some success but, thankfully, a homeopathic remedy seems to be helping it so fingers crossed that it will clear it up completely.

I have chronic asthma and allergies so my sympathy goes to anyone who suffers from some kind of respiratory problem.

gpa
08-Oct-09, 12:03
right now my cough is back worse as ever, have put on a bit of weight and really been stressed last few days with doc saying son had swine flu
so maybe take peak flow next week and go back to docs

My son temp down only been two days, been giving him painkillers and keeping check on his peak flow as he has asthma and today he seems nearly better, so DR who was going to give me tamilfu when you hadnt even checked him you were wrong.
Now if he had been flat out i may have changed my mind but he wasnt and teribble they were going to give this to a young boy without checking

gpa
27-Oct-09, 09:24
How are you doing angel and all?
Mine went away and now back can feel glut running down nose to throat etc gross

katarina
27-Oct-09, 10:47
Have you thought you might have acid reflux? This may sound strange, but I have had a cough on and off for years - also a re-occurring dry hot throat and mouth. I was taking strepsils and cough mixture - totally wrong thing as it happens. Recently I have been plagued with acid reflux so I've done a bit of research into the problem. I was surprised to find out (through the net, not from doc) that 'silent reflux' can cause the following - asthma, throat and mouth dryness and burning, phleme in the throat, persistant cough and sinus problems.

Liz
27-Oct-09, 14:32
Have you thought you might have acid reflux? This may sound strange, but I have had a cough on and off for years - also a re-occurring dry hot throat and mouth. I was taking strepsils and cough mixture - totally wrong thing as it happens. Recently I have been plagued with acid reflux so I've done a bit of research into the problem. I was surprised to find out (through the net, not from doc) that 'silent reflux' can cause the following - asthma, throat and mouth dryness and burning, phleme in the throat, persistant cough and sinus problems.

That is really interesting Katarina. Must investigate!

What are you taking for it?

cuthill
27-Oct-09, 16:11
My Grandson aged 9 had Swine Flu and was prescribed Tamiflu without the doctor even coming out.The Tamiflu made him really ill with stomach pains so the doctor told my daughter to stop giving him the tablets,and he has still to come to the house to see how he is and thats a fortnight ago.This is down in Edinburgh.

gpa
16-Nov-09, 17:52
Hi own of my docs was thinking acid reflux as it keeps coming and going but tonight feel like all gunk again going down throat and driving me mental and thing is dont have problem during night

Fran
16-Nov-09, 18:01
Ask for Omeprazole capsules from the doc would be very good for you, Could be a hiatus hernia. Tamiflu is very good for viral flu swine flu and is very quick acting, stops it getting worse.