PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problems advice needed

telfordstar
14-Sep-09, 20:07
Im posting this on behalf of my sister who is having problems with her HP laptop.

Heres what she told me.

It was working on wedensady night of last week but when i went to turn it on on thursday it wouldnt turn on even with charger in it. When i turn it on the power light comes on then goes off again and does the same when charger is connected. The light comes on at the side when the charger is connected but charging light at front goes off after a minute.

Any help gratefully recieved

thanks.

Phill
14-Sep-09, 22:16
Check the battery connections.

Remove the battery, have a quick look to make sure there is no fluff dust and gwit in there that could cause trouble and replace.

Also check the vents around the fan, both intake and exhaust. Make sure they are not blocked with dog/cat hair etc.

EDDIE
14-Sep-09, 22:33
I hope the battey isnt flat flat all u can do as take the battery out and put it back in or remove the battery completly and then plug it in the laptop can still run without a battery as long as its on at the mains and see if that works

telfordstar
15-Sep-09, 09:54
Thanks for your replys guys. she has tried both but still nothing any other ideas?

EDDIE
15-Sep-09, 16:55
Well i think your left with 2 options has windows crashed or laptop faulty.
If windows has crashed you will have to put in the recovery disc

redeyedtreefrog
15-Sep-09, 17:12
Well i think your left with 2 options has windows crashed or laptop faulty.

Doubt it's Windows, even then the BIOS would still run.

Bobinovich
15-Sep-09, 17:42
Take the battery out and leave unplugged from the mains for at least an 4 hours. That should allow any remaining charge inside to dissipate & will force the BIOS to do a reset. Now plug back in & see if it starts up.

If not the other possibility is that the charger itself is done and the battery is nigh on dead - you'll need someone who can either test the charger's output with a meter, or borrow someone elses charger with the same rating, polarity and connector to find out.

telfordstar
15-Sep-09, 18:20
Take the battery out and leave unplugged from the mains for at least an 4 hours. That should allow any remaining charge inside to dissipate & will force the BIOS to do a reset. Now plug back in & see if it starts up.

If not the other possibility is that the charger itself is done and the battery is nigh on dead - you'll need someone who can either test the charger's output with a meter, or borrow someone elses charger with the same rating, polarity and connector to find out.

Thanks so much for reply. She has tried the first step with no joy. You wouldnt happen to know anyone who could help?

ciderally
28-Sep-09, 21:55
bet its a HP pavilion....as it sounds like mine.....and mine is still dead, just need to bury it now....

dx100uk
29-Sep-09, 00:59
if the lappy is more than a year old the battery pack could have failed.
get a new one from ebay and all should be ok.
but beware of the hong kong crap, order from a uk supplier
many laptops will not work without a good battery pack installed

dx