PDA

View Full Version : Dog Training

secretsquirrel
14-Sep-09, 17:06
Does anyone know where I can get my dog trained in Caithness?

diet coke
14-Sep-09, 17:18
there are a class on tuesday nights at the assembley room from 8-8.45 its £2.50 a sesion

brandy
14-Sep-09, 17:32
what age is that for?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
14-Sep-09, 17:35
hey the lady you need to get in touch with is Carolyne Poulton - she has dog training classes for all ages and abilties and is totally dedicated to her job - I think it's called "Greenland K9 Training " i'm sure there's contacts here but just google it - there's a web page.

She's excellent and really cares about you and your dog!!!

neepnipper
14-Sep-09, 18:23
Yes, Carolyne Poulton is great, she has puppy classes on a Sunday morning at 10am in the field next to Bower Hall, then adult classes after that.

Lovely lady, very good at training.

Her mobile number is 078450 10031.

BINBOB
14-Sep-09, 18:54
Victoria Stillwell..............u can find her on sky.Love her kind training methods..........

Well worth a look.haha:D

superceltic
14-Sep-09, 20:18
do u need to book for the one in the assembly rooms or can u just turn up? my dog is being EXTREMLY naught!! i just got 2 leather bucket chairs on sunday and came home today and she had eatin one, chewed my makeup bag and some makeup, a shoe, my GHD starightners, some cloths, peed and pooped on the floor :confused:mad:

secretsquirrel
14-Sep-09, 21:32
interested in one in assembly rooms. does anyone know who runs it and how to get in touch with them and what is the cost. my dog is still very young. would be great to go to something in the town.

secretsquirrel
14-Sep-09, 21:34
sorry did not read dietcokes reply properly. know how much it is.

BINBOB
14-Sep-09, 22:31
do u need to book for the one in the assembly rooms or can u just turn up? my dog is being EXTREMLY naught!! i just got 2 leather bucket chairs on sunday and came home today and she had eatin one, chewed my makeup bag and some makeup, a shoe, some cloths, peed and pooped on the floor :confused:mad:

Not sure how dog training is going to help with those problems...........sorry.
Is he/she left for long periods???
Dogs wreck things when theyare bored.Might be better to invest in a dog walker ,from Highland pet care.

Ihope u get sorted out ,though...let us all know.;)

Jeid
14-Sep-09, 23:51
Quite fancy taking Mesa out to Bower for some training, she's good but could do with some training.

If the dog is left alone for a long time, that might be why your dog is chewing stuff. It's usually boredom that causes that sort of behaviour

diet coke
15-Sep-09, 13:07
no you can just turn up there is a puppy class then a class for the older dogs.2 night will b my first time there .

diet coke
15-Sep-09, 13:11
Hi it is £2.50 a sesion and my puppy is young as well, i am still goin 2 try 2 see if it will help him 2 cam down.

brandy
15-Sep-09, 13:30
spot is so going to training as well.. the little so and so... sitting here beside me then next thing i know the sky cable is in two bits!

superceltic
15-Sep-09, 14:19
Not sure how dog training is going to help with those problems...........sorry.
Is he/she left for long periods???
Dogs wreck things when theyare bored.Might be better to invest in a dog walker ,from Highland pet care.

Ihope u get sorted out ,though...let us all know.;)

the most she is left on her own for is 4 hours a day, she has been so good the past while, damageing nothing then comeing home to my house destroyed!! she is being a devil, she gets walked everyday, she gets all them big rawhyde bones from pets at home.....dont know what else to do :confused

froal
15-Sep-09, 18:50
Caithness Canine Club has the dog training classes in Wick Assembly rooms every tues night they start with puppy classes then older dogs after you can contact Barbara on - 01955605786 who runs the classes. The classes are cheaper if you join the club too ! :D

Birdie Wife
16-Sep-09, 13:00
the most she is left on her own for is 4 hours a day, she has been so good the past while, damageing nothing then comeing home to my house destroyed!! she is being a devil, she gets walked everyday, she gets all them big rawhyde bones from pets at home.....dont know what else to do :confused

How old is she? And what food is she on? If it's persistent behaviour, it might be worth changing her food, some people find that if their dog is on a food with lots of additives (like Bakers or Pedigree) then changing to something more natural can calm down behaviour problems, just like in kids.

BINBOB
16-Sep-09, 14:38
How old is she? And what food is she on? If it's persistent behaviour, it might be worth changing her food, some people find that if their dog is on a food with lots of additives (like Bakers or Pedigree) then changing to something more natural can calm down behaviour problems, just like in kids.

I really do think the problem lies with the puppy being bored....4 hours is a VERY long time for a young dog to be left alone.
I know the owner is leaving her/him things to be occupied with,but it is still too long to be left.

I do hope the issue is sorted for all concerned........;)

superceltic
16-Sep-09, 22:16
I really do think the problem lies with the puppy being bored....4 hours is a VERY long time for a young dog to be left alone.
I know the owner is leaving her/him things to be occupied with,but it is still too long to be left.

I do hope the issue is sorted for all concerned........;)

She has the company of the cat aswell as my neighbour popping in to see her.

She is old enough to be left on her own for a few hours now, i could understand the distruptive behaviour if she was only a few months but she is over a year now :confused

superceltic
16-Sep-09, 22:19

She is 1 year and 2 months. Well thats another story.......She eats winalot for a few weeks then turns her nose up at that then she will only eat the cats food (felix) then after a few weeks she will turn her nose up at that so she then goes on to another brand. I have never had a dog like this before! she is unreal! lol
what brands off food are more natural? its worth a try! this dog is worse than a kid!

butterfly
16-Sep-09, 23:34
She eats winalot for a few weeks then turns her nose up at that then she will only eat the cats food (felix) then after a few weeks she will turn her nose up at that so she then goes on to another brand. I have never had a dog like this before! she is unreal! lol
what brands off food are more natural? its worth a try! this dog is worse than a kid!

Lol! Dont worry,your dog is just like mine.I too have to keep changing the brands because of his fussyness.I buy a large fresh chicken,then pan boil it till the meat falls of the bone,then divide into portions.He gets a portion with boiled rice and dog mixer once a day.In the evening he gets dog food with mixer.

BINBOB
17-Sep-09, 10:37
She has the company of the cat aswell as my neighbour popping in to see her.

She is old enough to be left on her own for a few hours now, i could understand the distruptive behaviour if she was only a few months but she is over a year now :confused

Well u are certainly doing all of the right things.........I really hope it gets sorted,for both of u.I am sure it will work out,just takes time.Do u leave a radio on....give her something with ur scent on it.
Fill a kong with peanut butter........fill it the night before ,then put in freezer....and let her have it before u leave.

Good luck.;)

BINBOB
17-Sep-09, 10:40
She is 1 year and 2 months. Well thats another story.......She eats winalot for a few weeks then turns her nose up at that then she will only eat the cats food (felix) then after a few weeks she will turn her nose up at that so she then goes on to another brand. I have never had a dog like this before! she is unreal! lol

What breed is she???
TRY nature diet...PETS AT HOME sell it.I is natural,no additives.Also do not give her coloured chews or biscuits with colourings.I found one of my cockers many years ago could not tolerate them.Anything is worth a go.;)

Birdie Wife
17-Sep-09, 10:52
At just over a year your dog is going through adolesence ;) and just like teenagers, they get unruly. How long this phase might last depends on the individual dog, and I'm not pretending to know everything there is because I'm a newbie dog owner too, I just read a lot!! The Pet Forums Community helped me out a lot with advice too and I would recommend registering on there. I feed my pup on Burgess Supa Dog which is a good and reasonably priced complete dry food, but I have to send off mail order for it (actually it's still cheaper including postage than most other bags of food you can buy) - other good natural foods include Arden Grange, Burns, James Wellbeloved, but they do tend to be on the pricey side.

Have you tried clicker training? A few minutes of mental activity is worth several times the same number of minutes of physical activity and might help tire your dog out before you leave it. You could teach it a few tricks, sit/down/stay/shut the door/fetch, that sort of thing. Just a thought? There's lots of info on clicker training on the 'net.

diet coke
17-Sep-09, 10:58
There are 2 classes on tue night at the assembly rooms 1 for puppys at 8 to 8.45 and then there are for the older dog straight after it costs £2.50

superceltic
17-Sep-09, 20:07
Well u are certainly doing all of the right things.........I really hope it gets sorted,for both of u.I am sure it will work out,just takes time.Do u leave a radio on....give her something with ur scent on it.
Fill a kong with peanut butter........fill it the night before ,then put in freezer....and let her have it before u leave.

Good luck.;)

I leave the t.v on for her, jermey kyle for starters then this morning, then the lovely loose women :lol::lol:

she has the washing basket in the spare room with her which is usually scattered across the floor when i get home.

im hopeing its just her age that is makeing her cause mass distruction. but defo need to invest in one of these kong things

superceltic
17-Sep-09, 20:08
What breed is she???
TRY nature diet...PETS AT HOME sell it.I is natural,no additives.Also do not give her coloured chews or biscuits with colourings.I found one of my cockers many years ago could not tolerate them.Anything is worth a go.;)

She is a cross between a staffy and a dalmation.....strange i know lol

aahhh she gets alot of them coloured chews and biscuits, do they make them daft??

superceltic
17-Sep-09, 20:14
At just over a year your dog is going through adolesence ;) and just like teenagers, they get unruly. How long this phase might last depends on the individual dog, and I'm not pretending to know everything there is because I'm a newbie dog owner too, I just read a lot!! The Pet Forums Community helped me out a lot with advice too and I would recommend registering on there. I feed my pup on Burgess Supa Dog which is a good and reasonably priced complete dry food, but I have to send off mail order for it (actually it's still cheaper including postage than most other bags of food you can buy) - other good natural foods include Arden Grange, Burns, James Wellbeloved, but they do tend to be on the pricey side.

Have you tried clicker training? A few minutes of mental activity is worth several times the same number of minutes of physical activity and might help tire your dog out before you leave it. You could teach it a few tricks, sit/down/stay/shut the door/fetch, that sort of thing. Just a thought? There's lots of info on clicker training on the 'net.

Yes some dog food can be very pricy! she wont eat dry food, tried her on that when we first got her from Balmore as she was extremly thin when we got her so used to put that in with her tinned food to fatten her up and she used to pick all the dry food out and set it on the floor!! :lol:

No not tried the clicker training but have seen it on the internet, we have taught her to sit but thats as far as it goes but teaching her to shut the door would be amazing as she taught herself to open doors, my poor next door neighbour is tormented by her as she quiet often pops over the wall and opens the neighbours door to letting her dog out to play! :lol:

BINBOB
17-Sep-09, 21:30
She is a cross between a staffy and a dalmation.....strange i know lol

aahhh she gets alot of them coloured chews and biscuits, do they make them daft??

They can do....so cut them out completely...u can give her natural biscuits...like crackerjacks or even make ur own.u will find recipes for natural dog biccies online.then u will know what is going into her...worth a try.let us know how u get on.;)

Aaldtimer
18-Sep-09, 03:12
..."I leave the t.v on for her, jermey kyle for starters then this morning, then the lovely loose women "...
This is a very dangerous thing to do!
Nothing to do with the dog's welfare, but you should never leave a television on in an unsupervised situation. It's a fire hazard.:(
Trust me, I'm an Electronics Engineer(Retired).

Birdie Wife
18-Sep-09, 11:01
Yes some dog food can be very pricy! she wont eat dry food, tried her on that when we first got her from Balmore as she was extremly thin when we got her so used to put that in with her tinned food to fatten her up and she used to pick all the dry food out and set it on the floor!! :lol:

She sounds like a character :D have you tried soaking it first? My pup doesn't like dry food unless I soak it and then I put in a small amount of tinned food/pilchards/gravy to make it taste like something other than cardboard! Mind you, my OH's mum's dog is a super-picky poodle so I can sympathise - at least you don't have to hand feed yours!!!

superceltic
18-Sep-09, 17:59
She sounds like a character :D have you tried soaking it first? My pup doesn't like dry food unless I soak it and then I put in a small amount of tinned food/pilchards/gravy to make it taste like something other than cardboard! Mind you, my OH's mum's dog is a super-picky poodle so I can sympathise - at least you don't have to hand feed yours!!!

she has some character! she is really funny. Hand feed!! OMG!! :lol::lol: thats taking the mick! but have seen some dogs do that! lol no not tried that actually, never thought of that! might give that a bash cause she is getting too many treats and i dont want her getting fat for all the treats she is eating, id rather she put weight on more healthier

superceltic
18-Sep-09, 18:01
..."I leave the t.v on for her, jermey kyle for starters then this morning, then the lovely loose women "...
This is a very dangerous thing to do!
Nothing to do with the dog's welfare, but you should never leave a television on in an unsupervised situation. It's a fire hazard.:(
Trust me, I'm an Electronics Engineer(Retired).

its never on for long with me neighbour popping in and out for the few hours im out for but i should switch to the radio as it would be more safer

ellimac
21-Sep-09, 21:15
its never on for long with me neighbour popping in and out for the few hours im out for but i should switch to the radio as it would be more safer

hey the lady you need to get in touch with is Carolyne Poulton - she has dog training classes for all ages and abilties and is totally dedicated to her job - I think it's called "Greenland K9 Training " i'm sure there's contacts here but just google it - there's a web page.

She's excellent and really cares about you and your dog!!!

Yip Carolyne Poulton is brill, I take my Pup to her on Sundays and she is excellent and excellent with the dogs.... Very caring person...

Bobinovich
22-Sep-09, 22:06
Although not a pet person myself I've heard very good reports from friends of David Ashpool at Ashmont Canine Training (http://www.ashmontk9training.co.uk/) :).