PDA

View Full Version : New Laws

Ash
14-Sep-09, 17:05
right i understand these new licensing laws but the coop in Thurso are taking it well a bit far, my sister is 29 no disrespect to my sister but i think she looks her age, whilst in the coop she asked for a scratch card and was asked for ID, it always the same staff member, she previously asked her for ID for cigarettes.

another occasion myself, my OH, cousin and brother were purchasing alcohol and were asked for ID only my cousin had ID and this was accepted, surely we all should have had ID, it did not make sense, we were also told to cover up our purchase as underagers may approach as asking for alcohol :eek:

Stefan
14-Sep-09, 17:34
I was born in the 60's and get asked for ID all the time.... get over it. They are just doing their job.

teddybear1873
14-Sep-09, 17:47
I'm delighted and well chuffed when I get asked for ID.

unicorn
14-Sep-09, 17:50
Would you complain if they asked you Ash [lol]
I don't mind people are just doing their jobs and the boss could be watching them. who knows.

Mr P Cannop
14-Sep-09, 17:50
right i understand these new licensing laws but the coop in Thurso are taking it well a bit far, my sister is 29 no disrespect to my sister but i think she looks her age, whilst in the coop she asked for a scratch card and was asked for ID, it always the same staff member, she previously asked her for ID for cigarettes.

another occasion myself, my OH, cousin and brother were purchasing alcohol and were asked for ID only my cousin had ID and this was accepted, surely we all should have had ID, it did not make sense, we were also told to cover up our purchase as underagers may approach as asking for alcohol :eek:

what co-op is this in ??

Gizmo
14-Sep-09, 17:56

The problem is that in most cases it is left up to the individuals discretion, and most people just use zero common sense in situations like this.

ŠAmethyst
14-Sep-09, 18:16
I get ID'd about 95% of the time... It's just them doing their jobs... or is it just that I look like I'm 13 or 14 instead of in my mid 20's?

bettedaviseyes
14-Sep-09, 18:25

OMG i'm 28 and having the same problem with the coop but its in fife they have came down real hard with this law i went to get fags for a colleague and got asked for id which was for the 10th time from the same person i work in a bar i have tattoo's i was wearing a shirt with the hotels name on it so i told her never work in a bar cos there will be no customers and walked out what a joke and when walking out the door a boy of about 12 was standing smoking a fag [disgust] oh another time in the coop i got asked id for cooks matches NO JOKE now thats taking it to far.....

Stefan
14-Sep-09, 18:39
If you don't look 25 you have to proof you are 18...

I get ID'd about 95% of the time... It's just them doing their jobs... or is it just that I look like I'm 13 or 14 instead of in my mid 20's?

teddybear1873
14-Sep-09, 18:45

In South Carolina, If you look under 40 your asked for ID. Why that is I do not know. I remember a man in Wal-Mart getting asked for ID and he looked well over 50...Strange.

tonkatojo
14-Sep-09, 19:59
In South Carolina, If you look under 40 your asked for ID. Why that is I do not know. I remember a man in Wal-Mart getting asked for ID and he looked well over 50...Strange.

This wouldn't be in Disney Land would it. ;)

Whitewater
14-Sep-09, 20:21
I would be really chuffed if somebody asked me for ID while buying alcohol. It would make my day.

Jonaleth Irenicus
14-Sep-09, 20:21
What's the issue? There's really no reason why anybody over the age of 18 shouldn't be able to prove their age if asked to do. The amount of times someone has posted on this forum moaning about being asked for ID, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you went out deliberately without any ID just to give you something to whinge about.

sms
14-Sep-09, 20:39
Im with Ash on this one- its very tiresome when the same person in the supermarket ask u everytime u buy alcohol. So i just go to bin ends now easier so all i need to take is money (i dont always carry my purse or driving licence) as the women in there know me and know my age.

what i especially was very angry about was when my husband who is 29 got asked for id and the woman at the cigarette counter roared very loudly across the store ( my huuby was at the checkouts) asking if he had some id.. he was extremely embarassed and wanted out of there as soon as.

WickWitch
14-Sep-09, 20:41
Say that you have no problem proving that you are old enough to buy alcohol but request that they then prove that they are old enough to sell it to you :)

ŠAmethyst
14-Sep-09, 23:18

Ah, but I am not 18!

And btw, I always carry two forms of ID with me... but that isn't the issue.

NickInTheNorth
17-Sep-09, 14:26
I totally agree with Ash.

Shops and their staff should be capable of making an intelligent estimate of the age of someone they are selling alcohol to.

If not then I would question why the individual is felt to be safe to be selling it.

There is no requirement to carry id in the UK so why should I carry it on the off chance that someone is stupid enough to question my age.

I must say if it happened to me I would ask for the manager to decide and if they still refused to serve me I would simply walk away.

Life is too short to deal with idiots.