PDA

View Full Version : Music Shop

Lucy
04-Apr-06, 20:04
I heard from one of the employees that the Music Shop in Wick is closing. Passed it myself last night and it has a closing down sale notice in the window. :~(

obiron
04-Apr-06, 20:14
thats a shame. its a sign of the times though. you can get cds cheaper online nowadays.

Lucy
04-Apr-06, 20:22
thats a shame. its a sign of the times though. you can get cds cheaper online nowadays.

Musical instrument also cost a lot of money so i suppose most will go further south if they are planning a new instrument. Still its a pity to see another local shop closing.:(

AR
04-Apr-06, 20:25
Sadly you can buy loads of things cheaper online, but when possible I try to buy locally.It would be better to keep the town center busy, if possible.

scorrie
04-Apr-06, 22:35

Not to mention those who "borrow" choons off the internet. Blank CD's everywhere, nor any drop to drink!!

clash67
04-Apr-06, 22:37
Hope the thurso shop doesn't close too, cause i'm waiting for an album that i ordered in 2003, should be here any day now..any day now...

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Apr-06, 08:46
How many death nails does it take to shut Wick's coffin? Another shop bites the dust. It gets worse, sadly.

jellybean
05-Apr-06, 10:18
Lets be positive though!! We do have new shops opening

brokencross
05-Apr-06, 10:45
Haven't been to Wick for yonks. Is the Music Shop still down the little lane near the old police station car park.
If so, does anyone remember (late 1950's early 60's) a big St Bernard dog that used to frequent that area? It used to happily lie down in the middle of the lane and would move for anybody or anything, cars would have to drive carefully around the big beast.
I agree it is a shame it has to close but this is "progress" and the technology you are reading this on, is partly to blame.

krieve
05-Apr-06, 11:34
The music shop in thurso is to close also it says in todays courier .

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Apr-06, 11:41
The music shop in thurso is to close also it says in todays courier .

Really? You got to be kidding, right?

Jeid
05-Apr-06, 11:43
Really? You got to be kidding, right?

The truth has been spoken sir

krieve
05-Apr-06, 11:52
no it's on the front page of the courier- caithness is to lose its 2 long established music shops.owner james sutherland said that the premises in wick and thurso will cease trading with in a matter of weeks once a stock clearance sale is complete.

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Apr-06, 13:00
I can't believe it. Another slice of peoples' memories consigned to the dustbin. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Caithness is a cultural Chernobyl.

COACHMAN
05-Apr-06, 15:32
THE MUSIC SHOP IN WICK HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME SHOP SINCE ALEX GEDDESS SOLD IT,IT HAS GONE DOWN SINCE THEN.[mad]

willowbankbear
05-Apr-06, 16:00
Shame to see another of our wee town`s shoppies closing, Closing down sale means Knockdown giveaway prices for the cd`s ye`ve always wanted but never got round to buying them as something else more important came up-community tax of course:lol: . Shame but true folks, the vultures are gathering=Me.

Gleber2
05-Apr-06, 16:06
THE MUSIC SHOP IN WICK HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME SHOP SINCE ALEX GEDDESS SOLD IT,IT HAS GONE DOWN SINCE THEN.[mad]

When was that? Jack Shearer was there in 1960.

COACHMAN
05-Apr-06, 16:26
Jack Shearer was Alex Geddess Father in Law.

donss
05-Apr-06, 16:53
Haven't been to Wick for yonks. Is the Music Shop still down the little lane near the old police station car park.
If so, does anyone remember (late 1950's early 60's) a big St Bernard dog that used to frequent that area? It used to happily lie down in the middle of the lane and would move for anybody or anything, cars would have to drive carefully around the big beast.
I agree it is a shame it has to close but this is "progress" and the technology you are reading this on, is partly to blame.

His name was Daniel: i remember him well! (showing my age, I know.... LOL)

Gleber2
05-Apr-06, 17:40
Jack Shearer was Alex Geddess Father in Law.

Janette's husband then? E' beeg doug wis Chacks' wis id no. The music shop moved twice since it was in the lane side e' police station.

Lucy
05-Apr-06, 17:44
Hope the thurso shop doesn't close too, cause i'm waiting for an album that i ordered in 2003, should be here any day now..any day now...

Now looks like you won't get that album. You'll just have to be like everyone else - buy it on the internet.

zebedy
06-Apr-06, 11:05
See what happens to the stolk when the shop closes?

Just wondering...

Been fancying gettin one of the guitars...

girnigoe
06-Apr-06, 12:47
His name was Daniel: i remember him well! (showing my age, I know.... LOL)

I seem to remember him too although I wouldnt have remembered him in the 50s or 60s as I wasnt even thought of then!! ;)

TopCatsPurr
06-Apr-06, 23:46
Can't exactly call it a closing down "sale" though can you? Prices are still WAY over the odds.

clash67
07-Apr-06, 00:41
Now looks like you won't get that album. You'll just have to be like everyone else - buy it on the internet.
Oh I did go online and I got aforementioned album in the post,NEXT DAY, I for one will not miss the Music Shop but I do hope someone takes it over and gives it a fresh start.

davem
07-Apr-06, 01:09
Can't exactly call it a closing down "sale" though can you? Prices are still WAY over the odds.

You can't pay rates and wages and keep all that stock without charging for it.
I'm sure they could have sold things at half the price and gone out of business much sooner, we'd still be without a shop though. The net is fine but there is a lot to be said for trying out what you buy first, I will miss it.

Lucy
07-Apr-06, 06:33
I am another who will not miss the music shop only because i have no musical talent what so ever. My singing is so bad that i'm only allowed to sing along to CD when i'm in the car alone.

it is still a pity to see a local shop close. It's ok to buy CD's etc on line but if buying an instrument it would be nice to hold it and get the feel of it first.

I hope all the staff find another suitable job soon.:cry:

TopCatsPurr
10-Apr-06, 21:41
If you want a decent instrument at a decent price you go South and try it and then buy it. And as for buying instruments online, you can always send it back to the shop you bought it, can't you!? And if you get it off e-bay then you only buy from 100% feedback kiddies. God, it's not rocket science. The mark up from trade prices in this town is unreal.

knightofeth
10-Apr-06, 21:55
Well, I don't play any music so don't know how good they were in the instrument supply respect, but I just could never find ANY cds I wanted in those shops, ever. And even if I could find them, they would have been about half price online. They were also always very quiet and the staff seemed to stare at you so I never stayed in very long. The long and short of it I don't care at all. Although I do hope the staff find new jobs soon.

Marty McFly
10-Apr-06, 22:39
The mark up from trade prices in this town is unreal

Wise up TopCatsPurr...the mark-up is no more or no less than any other shop in any other small town you care to name. Thats what keeps local shops open.

CFM
10-Apr-06, 22:52
We would just like to thank James Sutherland, owner of the music shops, for providing a great service. James has supported Caithness FM from the begining both as a sponsor and providing us with a lot of music and information. As presenters we all buy a lot of music and James has never failed to find the CD we have been looking for - yes we could have bought things cheaper on the internet but we firmly believe that if the traders of this county are good enough to support local voluntary organisations like Caithness FM, then we will in turn support them whenever possible. Sadly Not many towns have small independent record shops any more and mainly the only choice is Woolies and supermarkets - okay so they're cheaper but in a proper record shop you can spend ages browsing and being tempted to try out new artists that you many never hear of unless they are in the charts. we will miss the music shop and wish James and his staff all the best in the future.

Gleber2
11-Apr-06, 00:15
Wise up TopCatsPurr...the mark-up is no more or no less than any other shop in any other small town you care to name. Thats what keeps local shops open.

And closing.

rangers1873
11-Apr-06, 00:23
bought my kids a gibson sg standard for xmas, priced it through the music shop in thurso they told me fourteen hundred quid, got the same online for eight hundred.no wonder they are shutting what a difference in price

Ann
11-Apr-06, 09:33
Well said CFM;I totally agree with you, they will be sadly missed.

James and his staff are extremely helpful in sourcing a recording that is not in stock. Can't see the multis helping to sell more local and unusual music. And I think it amazing the stock that James did carry; the display of guitars was marvellous for a small shop. I just hope that folks take advantage of them now while they are here; where do we go when it closes?

Buying intruments off the net without trying; don't think so! And a trip to "down south" with the cost of fuel, meals etc....

And where else can you go into somewhere like the Wick shop where Jane knows what you mean when you say "you know that cd advertised on the t.v. just now, can't remember what its called, can't remember who sings it but it goes something like this...".

Jane always knew what I meant! Thank you Jane!

On one hand there are complaints about local shops closing, on the other, there are compaints about their prices; we can't have it all. Small shops truthfully cannot compete with the multi-nationals, no way, but they can provide a friendly place to nose around, try things out and have a natter and a laugh.

Do we want the privileges of being a safer, more friendly location or do we want all the trappings of city life with all its stress and unfriendliness?

I too wish James and his staff all the best for the future and I am so sorry to see them all go.

Good luck all and thank you!
Ann

rangers1873
11-Apr-06, 10:11
also concerning buying online, i bought a epiphone lp from www.gak.co.uk. a shop in england got the guitar home and discovered the toggle switch was broken, phoned them up the replacement guitar arrived the next day. now thats what you call service.

Dali
11-Apr-06, 14:56
Buying intruments off the net without trying; don't think so! And a trip to "down south" with the cost of fuel, meals etc....

Ann
Yeah but with the money that ibrox1690 saved £600 he could travel down south pay for fuel meals etc and still have enough change for a cheap 2 week holiday to spain .
Anything you seem to order from the shops here takes a week or more to arrive . When online shops arrive nextday .

rangers1873
11-Apr-06, 16:18
thanks dali ,maybe that will change peoples minds about being loyal to local shops who have never giving locals anything back,i forgot about xmas fun day ,you go into some of the shops and they have a tin of sweeties for you to help yourself,big deal.

jay
11-Apr-06, 16:26
A great many local shops do certainly " give something back" for one thing they are there when you need them, they employ people thereby keeping money circulating in the area and not sending it all south or abroad as internet companies do. Not only that but they pay, in many cases extortionate rates which fund the council etc, and as anyone who has ever had anything to do with fundraising will tell you - most local shops are constantly handing over prizes for raffles etc etc. On line shopping is great but there is a place for them both and our economy needs both. As to delivery next day - never, ever in my experience have I had anything delivered next day to Caithness from anywhere - quickest was three days for an internet purchase. Give our local shopkeepers a break -0kay so don't use them if you feel strongly that you are better shopping online but it is really not necessary to continually moan about them and complain the wholetime - believe me you will miss the local shops when they've gone.

Dali
11-Apr-06, 16:38
A great many local shops do certainly " give something back" for one thing they are there when you need them, they employ people thereby keeping money circulating in the area and not sending it all south or abroad as internet companies do. Not only that but they pay, in many cases extortionate rates which fund the council etc, and as anyone who has ever had anything to do with fundraising will tell you - most local shops are constantly handing over prizes for raffles etc etc. On line shopping is great but there is a place for them both and our economy needs both. As to delivery next day - never, ever in my experience have I had anything delivered next day to Caithness from anywhere - quickest was three days for an internet purchase. Give our local shopkeepers a break -0kay so don't use them if you feel strongly that you are better shopping online but it is really not necessary to continually moan about them and complain the wholetime - believe me you will miss the local shops when they've gone.

Well i get many things delivered nextday. My lcd tv came nextday from bolton also saved me 250 on the local retailers. Who did not have what i wanted in and said would be 2 weeks . All my computer parts come nextday my catalogue orders nextday to 2days max.

mareng
13-Apr-06, 16:40
I suspect that Thurso and Wick will end up with the shops that they deserve - 99p stores.

There goes the neighbourhood!

I wish the best of luck to James and his staff for the future.

Dali
13-Apr-06, 17:01
I suspect that Thurso and Wick will end up with the shops that they deserve - 99p stores.

There goes the neighbourhood!

I wish the best of luck to James and his staff for the future.

??????? They both already have 99p stores . That alot of people would not do without for many things . There maybe alot of tat but there are many usefull items .
I take it you are a posh millionaire who thinks they are above everyone else and thinks people who shop in these stores to be below them ??? Going by your there goes the neighbourhood quote.

footie chick
13-Apr-06, 17:04
??????? They both already have 99p stores . That alot of people would not do without for many things . There maybe alot of tat but there are many usefull items .
I take it you are a posh millionaire who thinks they are above everyone else and thinks people who shop in these stores to be below them ??? Going by your there goes the neighbourhood quote.

Well said you get some not bad stuff in there

mareng
13-Apr-06, 21:00
While I don't dispute that you get some good stuff in those shops, pretty soon, that's all you are going to have if the complete diversity of shops is not supported.

You might not even notice it happening, but when every second shop is a charity shop or 99p store (and I use the term as generic) the retail infrastructure is upset. The tourists and those that return every year notice it first.

For example
Most people look at the cost of say - a flat panel TV in Inverness and Thurso, (£600 compated to £650 resp) and think - "I'm not giving an additional £50 profit to **** in Thurso - I'll buy from Inverness"

It doesn't matter that most of that £50 may be swallowed up in fuel/car/time costs - they don't see that as tangeable, such is their determination to prevent the Thurso retailer from getting that imaginary £50.

The thing is - the Thurso (or Wick, sorry) retailer probably is making around the same profit as the Inverness concern, due to differing volumes of sale and overheads.

If you live and and earn a living in Caithness, don't Caithness businesses deserve to get some of that back?

zappster
13-Apr-06, 21:11
I AM GUTTED... I use the music shop regularly & have done for the last 25 years..
Prices didna bother me in fact I got some pretty good deals out of it over the years ..Dinna ken what I'll do now when the wife goes to mackays clothes shopping!!..
Many Many thanks to James,Jane,Joey,Catherine,Jeanette & all other staff who for so many years helped damage my hearing with a constant supply of heavy metal,punk & general Noisy records!!
I think am aboot to cown on ma keyboard

mareng
13-Apr-06, 21:15
I AM GUTTED... I use the music shop regularly & have done for the last 25 years..
Prices didna bother me in fact I got some pretty good deals out of it over the years ..Dinna ken what I'll do now when the wife goes to mackays clothes shopping!!..
Many Many thanks to James,Jane,Joey,Catherine,Jeanette & all other staff who for so many years helped damage my hearing with a constant supply of heavy metal,punk & general Noisy records!!
I think am aboot to cown on ma keyboard

I'll hazard a guess that you buy the same music as me................ recorded 25 years ago!

Can I reccommend the Comm as an alternative to venturing through the doors of Mackays? (I'm assuming you shop in Thurso)

I'll miss the shop too.

Tristan
13-Apr-06, 21:28
For example
Most people look at the cost of say - a flat panel TV in Inverness and Thurso, (£600 compated to £650 resp) and think - "I'm not giving an additional £50 profit to **** in Thurso - I'll buy from Inverness"

A 5 to 10% mark up does not bother me. I will and have bought local at that price. Unfortunately that is not always the case....sigh

zappster
13-Apr-06, 21:30
I'll hazard a guess that you buy the same music as me................ recorded 25 years ago!

Can I reccommend the Comm as an alternative to venturing through the doors of Mackays? (I'm assuming you shop in Thurso)

I'll miss the shop too.
LOL aye canna beat the owld stuff...
Am a Weeker & ah dinna need any more excuses to go drinkin !!

mareng
13-Apr-06, 23:04
LOL aye canna beat the owld stuff...
Am a Weeker & ah dinna need any more excuses to go drinkin !!

Okay - I dare you........ go to Mackays with your wife!

You are a brave man (or a slow learner)

Let us know how you get on!

Mareng

Dali
13-Apr-06, 23:31
While I don't dispute that you get some good stuff in those shops, pretty soon, that's all you are going to have if the complete diversity of shops is not supported.

You might not even notice it happening, but when every second shop is a charity shop or 99p store (and I use the term as generic) the retail infrastructure is upset. The tourists and those that return every year notice it first.

For example

It doesn't matter that most of that £50 may be swallowed up in fuel/car/time costs - they don't see that as tangeable, such is their determination to prevent the Thurso retailer from getting that imaginary £50.

The thing is - the Thurso (or Wick, sorry) retailer probably is making around the same profit as the Inverness concern, due to differing volumes of sale and overheads.

If you live and and earn a living in Caithness, don't Caithness businesses deserve to get some of that back?

The thing is we already have a 99p store in wick and in thurso . We already have many thrift/charity shops in wick and thurso .

So what is your point ? these shops were here well before any of the new enterprises (tesco ,asda,so on ) thought of coming up here .
Why do the businesses deserve to get some money back they do not pay us .
Do we not deserve better value for our hard erned cash ?

If it was only 50 quid then maybe people might buy more local but it isnt .(even tho this small £50 that you make it sound is alot of money to most people)You save much more shopping out of caithness a few hundred more like . No need to waste petrol you can order over the phone or the internet.
It is not an imaginary 50 pound it is real and a large sum for most .

As i have said further up you all have the choice and if shops are closing then the choice is made . You do not have to shop online you do not have to shop in tesco,asda,homebase,neulook,or superdrug you can keep suporting your local small retailer. But by the masses that were in homebase and superdrug i am guessing that the better value more choice will win overall .

I cannot believe the music shop is closing due to Tesco applying for planning permision .Why not stay open for aslong as posible there is not even a brick layed yet they only sell cds no musical instruments . Why did the music shop not close when woolies opened? why did the thurso 1 not close when the other music shop opened ?
Why has none of the diy/paint shops closed .They may do i will admit but they did not just shut shop and run at the sign of hombase nor the chemists at the sign of semichem.If the local retailers want our custom then stay open longer lessen there prices go that extra mile to make us want to shop there.
If these shops only make a small amount of profit on these items then why do they not buy from the internet cheap make more profit and sell cheaper to us .

Fran
13-Apr-06, 23:55
I remember the st.bruno dog at the music shop too. there was also one in Wellington street at the shop there.

mareng
14-Apr-06, 00:27
The thing is we already have a 99p store in wick and in thurso . We already have many thrift/charity shops in wick and thurso .

So what is your point ? these shops were here well before any of the new enterprises (tesco ,asda,so on ) thought of coming up here .
Why do the businesses deserve to get some money back they do not pay us .
Do we not deserve better value for our hard erned cash ?

If it was only 50 quid then maybe people might buy more local but it isnt .(even tho this small £50 that you make it sound is alot of money to most people)You save much more shopping out of caithness a few hundred more like . No need to waste petrol you can order over the phone or the internet.
It is not an imaginary 50 pound it is real and a large sum for most .

As i have said further up you all have the choice and if shops are closing then the choice is made . You do not have to shop online you do not have to shop in tesco,asda,homebase,neulook,or superdrug you can keep suporting your local small retailer. But by the masses that were in homebase and superdrug i am guessing that the better value more choice will win overall .

I cannot believe the music shop is closing due to Tesco applying for planning permision .Why not stay open for aslong as posible there is not even a brick layed yet they only sell cds no musical instruments . Why did the music shop not close when woolies opened? why did the thurso 1 not close when the other music shop opened ?
Why has none of the diy/paint shops closed .They may do i will admit but they did not just shut shop and run at the sign of hombase nor the chemists at the sign of semichem.If the local retailers want our custom then stay open longer lessen there prices go that extra mile to make us want to shop there.
If these shops only make a small amount of profit on these items then why do they not buy from the internet cheap make more profit and sell cheaper to us .

My point is the retail infrastructure in Thurso and Wick is disappearing, If you believe that the towns will be better off with nothing but 99p stores (again used as a generic term) and charity shops and supermarkets on the outskirts then I guess you will experience your nirvana.

My "£50 example" was only that.......... an example. If you are determined to miss the point, then you surely will.

To pick up on your query as to why the Music Shop in Thurso and Wick didn't stay open longer - I have to question just who you think you are? If you are in business there comes a time when you may have to cut your losses - that is a decision that can only be made by that individual. I don't remember anyone claiming that Tesco threatening to come to Caithness was the cause of a downfall in local music turnover.

But, if you truely believe that purchasing everything other than groceries, from the internet or Inverness will keep Thurso and Wick town centres bouyant - then time will prove one of us right.

Just found a post submitted by you a few days ago on another thread:

"I think you will find that online retailers have helped close the music shop .
Otherwise why did woolies not kill the music store ?
The only real affect tesco will have is against somerfield and coop. Other than food everything else clothes electrical goods toys can all be bought online cheaper and delivered to your door. This is more like what will kill the smaller shops and has been doing for ages .
The only thing that kills small shops is not Tesco,asda or homebase. It is the customer if you stop shopping there then you kill the smaller shops it is your choice.
Tesco and the others do not force anyone to shop there just continue to pay more for less with early closing times and half days and dinner hour clossing. The plight of the small retailer is in your hands and nobody elses.
I tho am off to Tescos"

If I didn't know better, I would think that your argument was aligned to mine?

Dali
14-Apr-06, 00:58
My point is the retail infrastructure in Thurso and Wick is disappearing, If you believe that the towns will be better off with nothing but 99p stores (again used as a generic term) and charity shops and supermarkets on the outskirts then I guess you will experience your nirvana.

My "£50 example" was only that.......... an example. If you are determined to miss the point, then you surely will.

To pick up on your query as to why the Music Shop in Thurso and Wick didn't stay open longer - I have to question just who you think you are? If you are in business there comes a time when you may have to cut your losses - that is a decision that can only be made by that individual. I don't remember anyone claiming that Tesco threatening to come to Caithness was the cause of a downfall in local music turnover.

But, if you truely believe that purchasing everything other than groceries, from the internet or Inverness will keep Thurso and Wick town centres bouyant - then time will prove one of us right.

Just found a post submitted by you a few days ago on another thread:

"I think you will find that online retailers have helped close the music shop .
Otherwise why did woolies not kill the music store ?
The only real affect tesco will have is against somerfield and coop. Other than food everything else clothes electrical goods toys can all be bought online cheaper and delivered to your door. This is more like what will kill the smaller shops and has been doing for ages .
The only thing that kills small shops is not Tesco,asda or homebase. It is the customer if you stop shopping there then you kill the smaller shops it is your choice.
Tesco and the others do not force anyone to shop there just continue to pay more for less with early closing times and half days and dinner hour clossing. The plight of the small retailer is in your hands and nobody elses.
I tho am off to Tescos"

If I didn't know better, I would think that your argument was aligned to mine?

Once again we already have 99p stores and charity shops and have had them for along time .The nirvana is here you are living it but refuse to see .
I do like to support local retailers but i also like them to support me. Why should i pay higher prices just to support local retail . Halfday closing closing at 5 closed for dinner .
Ther have been plenty of shops closed and borded up on wick streets for years . But if things were so bad why would large retail stores want to invest up here why would there be houses going up all over the place . People are sic and tired of the way we are treated to high prices and low customer service.
quote by you
"I don't remember anyone claiming that Tesco threatening to come to Caithness was the cause of a downfall in local music turnover."

And if you read the other thread fully you would see that it was claimed Tesco threatened the downfall in local music turnover.
And if you are going to use examples try to be a bit more accurate shadding the truth by making the prices look smaller £50 mark up instea of the £200 or more . Just blankets the facts .
As i say nobody is forced to shop at these bigger stores but if the smaller shops all close before the stores are built then they will never know if we will support them will they ?
No need to question who i think i am i am a consumer who knows the value of money .And i want more for it as i asume most others do aswell .
I will support local shops when they support me .