PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists could be hit with Road Tax!

laguna2
14-Sep-09, 09:04
What is your opinion on this?

I think that it is fair enough - obviously they should pay a lot less for a bike than for a car but at least they would be contributing same as drivers.

Bobinovich
14-Sep-09, 09:20
Here's a link (http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/-Government-in-talks-over.5642372.jp) to the story for more info. :D Dunno if it's the same as Laguna2's read tho'

Personally I think it would be a ridiculous idea, worthy of an April 1st headline! Bikes cause minimal wear on roads, are a healthy alternative to cars (& should be promoted as such), and as is mentioned in the article, are carbon neutral so should be exempt.

tonkatojo
14-Sep-09, 09:23

I think that it is fair enough - obviously they should pay a lot less for a bike than for a car but at least they would be contributing same as drivers.

Too right, insurance and MOT as well, perhaps even a real and proper driving/riding test as well.

laguna2
14-Sep-09, 09:24
Probably is Bob, thanks for posting the link. I heard it on the news on Real Radio so it was just the bones of the story that they gave, no time scale or details.

BRIE
14-Sep-09, 09:28
I think they should pay more than a car personally!! most of them think they own the road anyway so let them pay for the privilege.
Im not the greatest fan of cyclists:lol: I think alot of them are a danger on the road, I know they are entitled to as much room as a car but when you get the idiots who insist on riding 2 or 3 abreast it does become a hazard.
we drove back from Inverness a few weeks ago & there was a cycle race in progress between the Black Isle & Alness how none of those cyclists got killed is a miracle! they were all over the road & the closer to the finish they were the worse it got, they were obviously getting tired but were swerving all over the road. wouldnt you think they would pick a quieter road to do these things on[evil]
I agree that they should pay for insurance too, who pays when their the cause of an accident?
I think they should all take a cycle test aswell before being allowed on the road!

davie
14-Sep-09, 09:33
This is an extract from the link posted by Bobinovich -"But it also raises the question of cyclists making a financial contribution to roads maintenance".
The Road Fund Licence revenue has been for many years just another form of taxation and this crazy idea is just that - another tax on the long suffering public and nothing to do with road maintenance.
What we need is less tax, a purge of civil "servants", and a return to some kind of sanity in this country.
What next, heavy breathers to pay more for their air ??

bish667
14-Sep-09, 10:36
Good luck to them trying to implement this :lol:

Cant see many cyclists having a license plate stuck on their bike, civil servants must be getting desperate for ideas for making more money.
Can just picture a 4 year old on their pushbike getting pulled by the police and questioned :lol:

Stefan
14-Sep-09, 10:53
What's next ?
MOT for pedestrians ???
If they bring this in I will get rid of all 5 bikes we have and use the car instead.
I am not paying tax and insurance for my kids to bike around the village or into town.

I agree that all cyclists should pass a test. I had to pass one when I was 8 and again at 14.

Somebody asked "Who pays when a cyclist is involved in a car accident?". Same goes for pedestrians, dogs, deer.... your own insurance. That's what fully comprehensive is for.

Phill
14-Sep-09, 11:21
Here's an idea: Road tax in all it's forms should be scrapped!
Sack all the civil servants that are employed to maintain the scheme and then there will be a huge financial saving as the cost on managing the tax will be enormous.
Then add a fraction of a penny to the price of road fuel. Then the taxable income to the treasury will be the same if not more and it fairer for all users.

The amount you pay will be relative to the use of the roads and it is self governing on the efficiency of your vehicle.

Naturally pedal cyclist will not have to pay.

"Who pays when a cyclist is involved in a car accident?". Same goes for pedestrians, dogs, deer.... your own insurance. That's what fully comprehensive is for.

That's a tad unfair, why should I be responsible for the actions of others?
Dogs and deer are out of the equation but if someone hit my vehicle through their own negligence why should I foot the bill for the damage?

bish667
14-Sep-09, 11:36
Somebody asked "Who pays when a cyclist is involved in a car accident?". Same goes for pedestrians, dogs, deer.... your own insurance. That's what fully comprehensive is for.

Think you'll find 3rd party is what covers this.
Fully comp gives extra cover to your own car.

arana negra
14-Sep-09, 11:39
In the words of Victor Meldrew 'I don't believe it !' just how many stupid ideas can these so called intellectuals come up with. First they want cars off the road but offer real viable options, buses and trains don't run to/from where folks really want them nor at sensible times/prices. So Jo public takes to their bike, healthy, inexpensive and clean to run and whallop OH NO you can't do that ! we will have to charge you for it BOLLOCKS I reckon the more these numpties try to get folks out of the cars and into public transport the LESS likely there are to succeed as they have not got a clue how to make it work. The proper infastructure has to be in place AHEAD of making these decisions.

Training for cyclists is a good idea and for motor vehicle drivers to be made more aware of them, too many times I get cut off by car drivers as I am about to negotiate roundabouts, also get blasted with car horns for just being on the road :eek:

bish667
14-Sep-09, 11:51
also get blasted with car horns for just being on the road :eek:

I give those drivers the finger of approval.

Mrs Bucket
14-Sep-09, 11:52
I dont see why not and I think horse riders should also pay tax and inusrance

Mrs Bucket
14-Sep-09, 11:54
While we are on the subject should cyclists ride single file or is it legal to be two abreast or even three

bish667
14-Sep-09, 12:35
While we are on the subject should cyclists ride single file or is it legal to be two abreast or even three

Its in the highway code that 2 abreast is legal as long as its not on a busy road, so again that can cause arguments as to what classifies as busy :confused

Obviously we wont be able to do much about it if the government decide to go ahead, however I cannot see how the cost of regulating this will make them any profit as they cannot possibly charge a lot for push bike tax considering how little people pay for motorbike and economic cars.

Kodiak
14-Sep-09, 12:38
Perhaps the Government should put up on all pedestrian crossings a Pay-As-You-Cross Meter. Say 10p a time, this would make a lot of Money for the Government and pay for the Wear and Tear that pedestrian's make while crossing the Road. [lol][lol]

Gizmo
14-Sep-09, 12:48
I think they should pay more than a car personally!! most of them think they own the road anyway so let them pay for the privilege.
Im not the greatest fan of cyclists:lol: I think alot of them are a danger on the road, I know they are entitled to as much room as a car but when you get the idiots who insist on riding 2 or 3 abreast it does become a hazard.
we drove back from Inverness a few weeks ago & there was a cycle race in progress between the Black Isle & Alness how none of those cyclists got killed is a miracle! they were all over the road & the closer to the finish they were the worse it got, they were obviously getting tired but were swerving all over the road. wouldnt you think they would pick a quieter road to do these things on[evil]
I agree that they should pay for insurance too, who pays when their the cause of an accident?
I think they should all take a cycle test aswell before being allowed on the road!

I don't own a car anymore, so i cycle everywhere i go these days, but i spent 15yrs driving round Caithness/Sutherland as a delivery man, and i've seen every kind of idiotic driving imaginable, at least 80% of you have not got a clue what you are doing on the road and should be made to re-sit your driving test every 10 years, and some of you should never have been given a license in the first place.
I've seen quite a few accidents happen over the years, and not once have i ever seen a cyclist be the cause of one, it's ALWAYS a complete lack of attention on behalf of the motorist that has been to blame, you may not be the biggest fan of cyclists, but to me...you sound like the worst kind of motorist out there.

bish667
14-Sep-09, 13:01
I don't own a car anymore, so i cycle everywhere i go these days, but i spent 15yrs driving round Caithness/Sutherland as a delivery man, and i've seen every kind of idiotic driving imaginable, at least 80% of you have not got a clue what you are doing on the road and should be made to re-sit your driving test every 10 years, and some of you should never have been given a license in the first place.
I've seen quite a few accidents happen over the years, and not once have i ever seen a cyclist be the cause of one, it's ALWAYS a complete lack of attention on behalf of the motorist that has been to blame, you may not be the biggest fan of cyclists, but to me...you sound like the worst kind of motorist out there.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

tonkatojo
14-Sep-09, 13:07
Perhaps the Government should put up on all pedestrian crossings a Pay-As-You-Cross Meter. Say 10p a time, this would make a lot of Money for the Government and pay for the Wear and Tear that pedestrian's make while crossing the Road. [lol][lol]

Its not the pedestrian crossers that need to pay it's the so called jay-walkers that need to be fined, inebriated ones paying double. ;)

jimbews
14-Sep-09, 13:26

Cant see many cyclists having a license plate stuck on their bike, civil servants must be getting desperate for ideas for making more money.

So who's going to enforce this?

Perhaps the same ones that are supposed to stop the use of mobile phones when driving, etc.

Or the same ones who become blind when seeing people cycling the wrong way along one-way streets or the wrong side of the road, cycling wihout lights, etc, etc! (my pet hates, living in a community with a high percentage of students).

Given the percentage of drivers who are now reckoned to have no insurance they haven't a hope in (oops nearly an infraction there)!

JimBews

Alice in Blunderland
14-Sep-09, 13:37

I came across this road trials race or whatever it is this Saturday as I was heading North. I am not against bikes on the road but I have to say the volume of them and the way they were cycling was a danger to themselves.

I also am amazed that not one of them yet has been hurt as my comment at the time was this is an accident waiting to happen.:(

Hoida
14-Sep-09, 14:31
Couldn't agree more with them having to pay some form of road tax, they are a nightmare especially on single track roads.Seem to think they own the road and I am surprised there are not more accidents involving them Have noticed a high number dont wear helmets and I thought this was compulsory now:mad:

Boozeburglar
14-Sep-09, 14:32
Many cyclists are using their cycle rather than their car.

On that basis, we should all be paying them back some of their car tax.

davem
14-Sep-09, 14:53
Couldn't agree more with them having to pay some form of road tax, they are a nightmare especially on single track roads.Seem to think they own the road and I am surprised there are not more accidents involving them Have noticed a high number dont wear helmets and I thought this was compulsory now:mad:

A nightmare on single track roads! - do you have to take an extra 2 mins to get past them.
Helmets are only compulsory on motor bikes and as for owning the road if you cycle timidly in the gutter you are either ignored or not noticed. Rather better to be conspicuous and alive and if a car has to slow for a yard or two, they'd have to do that anyway to let another car through. So why not try patience - I think if there was a tax on intolerance the org could fund the roads without the need for other revenue!

Rheghead
14-Sep-09, 15:08

Seems pretty daft if certain low emission cars can go without paying any road tax at all.

Can't see any point in them paying road tax if they don't damage the road surface like motor vehicles do. We should be encouraging folks to ride cycles not put them off.

Rheghead
14-Sep-09, 15:12

If you weren't so serious I thought you were having a laugh about cyclists thinking that it is they that think they own the road.:~( Secondly, there is no evidence to suggest that wearing helmets while cycling prevents serious injury with a collision with a motor vehicle. In fact, the Cycle Touring Club is against compulsory wearing of helmets on the basis of road safety.

I agree that they should pay insurance as I already do, but to put things into perspective, 2 people get killed per decade due to a collision with a cyclist.

If the tax is to be levied broadly in line with the weight at the axle of the vehicle like with other vehicles then the tax should be in the order of £0.02p per year, is that reasonable?

Bazeye
14-Sep-09, 15:31
The rate at which were being taxed, I wouldnt be surprised if we had to start bricking our windows up before long. Well they do say history repeats itself.

tonkatojo
14-Sep-09, 15:47

I'm not sure on the helmet issue but it would be a help if the understood the concept of passing places.

arana negra
14-Sep-09, 16:55
The concept of passing places could be a whole new thread ! on our recent visit to Caithness and Sutherland we encountered many CAR drivers who passed the last one between them and us and kept coming towards us. We were reversing quite some distances to allow them past but drew the line at the lovely mannered man who expected us to reverse round a corner while he was sitting just past a passing place. From the language and gestures I think he thought the spanish reg car was driven by foreigners, he was somewhat shocked when I spoke in my broadest scots. He was quite incapable of reversing even that short distance and not an old man.

To go back kind of on topic, when there are cycling events on the roads I think they should have road signs in place warning of them but then again should they be allowed to race on the roads open to all users.

Cattach
14-Sep-09, 16:57

They certainly should. The use the highway same as cars and hold up traffic even more as you often cannot get past them do to their speed.

bish667
14-Sep-09, 16:59
they are a nightmare especially on single track roads.Seem to think they own the road:mad:

Same can be said about cars though, I'm often having to wait for slow moving cars around town and people that have no idea about how to turn corners.

bish667
14-Sep-09, 17:06
In fact the only time I've been close to being involved in a collision with a car was due to them driving so slowly [lol]

EDDIE
14-Sep-09, 17:31

Another stupid idea they should be engourging people to go green and given the fact that obesity is a problem in the uk they should be engourging people to go on a bike and be more greener.

Amy-Winehouse
14-Sep-09, 17:34

Well said Gizmo, so true

EDDIE
14-Sep-09, 17:40

A cyclist should be posistioned just left of centre of the side there on i agree with u on that they should have insurance if they have or cause an accident it silly why its not a legal requirement
Brie maybey u should go cycling and see what its like when a car passes u then u will understand why they position them selves on the road

Gizmo
14-Sep-09, 17:49

Perhaps you should invest in a copy of The Highway Code and refresh yourself on the rules and procedures for over taking cyclists, or read the link below, or are you one of these drivers who think the rules do not apply to them?

And this is not just aimed at yourself, but anyone else who has posted in this thread about problems overtaking Cyclists, the law states that you should give a cyclist as much room as you would for overtaking a car, so regardless if a cyclist is swerving on the road (which i don't agree with either...but no cyclist is swerving into the other lane) there should be no problem in overtaking any cyclist.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

Stargazer
14-Sep-09, 19:44

I suspect most cyclist you meet are also car owners. I have two. So maybe the opposite should be true. Every mile I cycle instead of drive means less road wear that I have already paid for, so a bit of back tax is due? Mmmmm? http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

tonkatojo
14-Sep-09, 19:49
I suspect most cyclist you meet are also car owners. I have two. So maybe the opposite should be true. Every mile I cycle instead of drive means less road wear that I have already paid for, so a bit of back tax is due? Mmmmm? http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

You don't think the government will fall for that one do you ?

Stargazer
14-Sep-09, 20:06
You don't think the government will fall for that one do you ?

Probably not but at least I escape the pleasure of coughing up 80p + per litre fuel tax. Simple things are free.:Razz

Stavro
14-Sep-09, 20:10

Well said. Right on the nose! :D

Stavro
14-Sep-09, 20:17
They certainly should. The use the highway same as cars and hold up traffic even more as you often cannot get past them do to their speed.

Cyclists are entitled to use the public highway, as horse-riders and pedestrians are (in the absence of a pavement).

You motorists have to slow down and pass them safely - as you do when you meet a tractor, for instance. Unfortunately, too many car drivers are far too busy driving like idiots to be concerned with safety and courtesy.

rainbow
14-Sep-09, 20:47
I cycle now and again and wish I had time to cycle more. When I go out in a group I prefer to ride two abreast for my own safety. If you are two abreast the car behind you has to stop and wait if a car is coming in the other direction. This way I feel safer. If you are in single file, some cars try to squeeze past even if a car is coming in the other direction- I hasten to add not all motorists do this - but there are some mindless idiots on the road that have nearly put me off my bike. I have been lucky so far - touch wood.
On bends the group I cycle in breaks up into single file, and I think we are extremely considerate of car users - despite what they think of us. All we are trying to do is have a healthier lifestyle and enjoy the fresh air.
I ask car users would they squeeze past a horse or slow tractor if a car was coming the other way, just so they can reach their destination 10 seconds faster - I think not.
And No I don't think cyclists should pay road tax - I thought this was paid to help maintain the roads - I don't think bikes do that much damage. I already pay car tax on two cars and will not be paying for my bike as well!

joxville
14-Sep-09, 20:54
The reason a tax on cyclists has made the news is to make us all forget the real issues at hand. i.e. the war in Afghanistan, the credit crunch and rising unemployment, rising crime and fudging of statistics etc.

For goodness sake people get a grip, no Government will ever introduce a tax on cyclists.....as someone posted earlier the Government is pushing a zero emission transport policy and for everyone to reduce their carbon footprint, why tax people who follow that path? :roll:

David Banks
14-Sep-09, 21:13

Can just picture a 4 year old on their pushbike getting pulled by the police and questioned :lol:

Exactly.

I would call them a 'muckle feel gowk' for the idea, but that would suggest they might be from Caithness - which is not possible. Their head must be stuck so far into . . . the sand, that they have lost all common sense.

Green_not_greed
14-Sep-09, 21:26
.....as someone posted earlier the Government is pushing a zero emission transport policy and for everyone to reduce their carbon footprint, why tax people who follow that path? :roll:

Err... just how much have our electricity bills gone up to pay for renewable energy subsidies?

Another stealth tax by a government absolutely desperate for treasury funds to pay for a war no-one wants, crippling inefficiencies in public services, and more and more civil servants.

I really don't believe that they would really tax those who cycle, but they are absolutely desperate!

I hear that 10% cut in all government budgets plus a 3p income tax rise will be on the cards if labour win the next UK election. Which is next year sometime.

maverick
14-Sep-09, 22:55
I do not feel that cyclists should pay road tax for using public roads, I think that would be very unjust to many cyclists. I do however feel that cyclists should have to pass some form of test before they should be allowed on public roads, solely because of the volumes of motor vehicles that are on the roads these days and that they should have to have at least third party insurance cover. There are some cyclists out there especially young children who take serious chances without realising what they are doing. I saw one young lad colide with a parked vehicle because his brakes didn't work and scratched several panels on the vehicle, damage was estimated to be in the region of approx £500, the young lady who owned the car found that there was little or nothing she could do to recover her loss. So I feel that all cyclists should be insured prior to using the public roads.

bish667
15-Sep-09, 09:56
I do not feel that cyclists should pay road tax for using public roads, I think that would be very unjust to many cyclists. I do however feel that cyclists should have to pass some form of test before they should be allowed on public roads, solely because of the volumes of motor vehicles that are on the roads these days and that they should have to have at least third party insurance cover. There are some cyclists out there especially young children who take serious chances without realising what they are doing. I saw one young lad colide with a parked vehicle because his brakes didn't work and scratched several panels on the vehicle, damage was estimated to be in the region of approx £500, the young lady who owned the car found that there was little or nothing she could do to recover her loss. So I feel that all cyclists should be insured prior to using the public roads.

Insurance for young kids on bikes!!! That'll soon stop them using their bikes which is not the direction we should be pushing kids towards.
Their parents taking blame for any damage they cause would be a better idea.

Gizmo
15-Sep-09, 10:18
Insurance for young kids on bikes!!! That'll soon stop them using their bikes which is not the direction we should be pushing kids towards.

Exactly, it's a ridiculous idea, why not just go the whole hog and make everyone have 'Pedestrian Insurance', as you can be guaranteed that more damage is caused to vehicles by pedestrians than cyclists[disgust]

Kenneth
15-Sep-09, 10:39
Here's a link (http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/-Government-in-talks-over.5642372.jp) to the story for more info. :D Dunno if it's the same as Laguna2's read tho'

Personally I think it would be a ridiculous idea, worthy of an April 1st headline! Bikes cause minimal wear on roads, are a healthy alternative to cars (& should be promoted as such), and as is mentioned in the article, are carbon neutral so should be exempt.

hear hear!

Kenneth
15-Sep-09, 11:05

Its not!

And I have to say, having only been cycling again for a few months, I've not had that many problems with drivers other than when they overtake they leave just enough room to slot a piece of paper in

Kenneth
15-Sep-09, 11:13

oh diddums, they're not any worse than caravans, now they should be taxed!!

Mrs Bucket
15-Sep-09, 11:46
At least if they insured people would not be out of pocket. Usually the kids who hove no brakes have problem parents who wouldnt pay

bish667
15-Sep-09, 12:23
At least if they insured people would not be out of pocket. Usually the kids who hove no brakes have problem parents who wouldnt pay

And you think parents who arent paying to fix their brakes or get them a working bike is going to be concerned about taking out insurance.
I honestly cant see how pushbike insurance would work anyway, its not like its the kid who would have the insurance policy it would be the parents.
I do see your point though but bike specific insurance for kids is just not goin to work.

Gizmo
15-Sep-09, 12:35

They also have parents who wouldn't be able to afford the insurance premium, so at the end of the day all it does is penalise the kids. Just accept it as a risk that you have to deal with, just like you have to with pedestrians.

bish667
15-Sep-09, 12:50
Here we are complaining about whether kids should have insurance on their £50 bikes and the government lets the bad crime go with very little punishment. :eek:

Mrs Bucket
15-Sep-09, 13:21
Surely cycle lanes would solve all the problems so tax cyclists to help pay for them

Gizmo
15-Sep-09, 13:27
Surely cycle lanes would solve all the problems so tax cyclists to help pay for them

Do people around here actually sit and think their ridiculous ideas through before posting?

bish667
15-Sep-09, 13:38
Do people around here actually sit and think their ridiculous ideas through before posting?

Gizmo you got in there first.

:lol: would cycle lanes help fix the problem with kids having no brakes and hitting 'parked' cars, em.... no, kids arent goin to use cycle lanes as most dont use roads for travelling from A to B and getting in the way of traffic,kids just cycle around randomly messing around with their mates :lol:
Its not as simple as just putting a cycle lane on a road cos they either have to widen the road which is not possible on most roads or divide the existing road into 2 which is then going to make car drivers unhappy about anyway. Either way there isnt an adequate amount of cyclists in Thurso to warrant a cycle lane.

BRIE
15-Sep-09, 14:42

why do I sound like the worst motorist??
Yes I expressed my opinion, I didnt say I hate cyclist so much I run them all off the road whenever I see them!
I am an extremely careful driver & always give cyclists as much room as a car, why? because there unpredictable! you never know when they will vear across the road, hit a bump in the road & fall off etc & I personally dont want one of you under my wheels.
so the reason Im not a fan of cyclists is because you all scare me senseless!!:eek:
I like to feel safe when im on the road & no you would NEVER get me on a bike on a busy road because I have witnessed how the majority of drivers do react to cyclists on the road & I do not have a death wish!!
So Gizmo & the rest of the ones that agreed with you please dont make assumptions on my driving abilities just because im not a cycling fan.[evil]

upolian
15-Sep-09, 15:39
I give those drivers the finger of approval.

likewise,i get beeped at for no reason what so ever,alot of people i know think cyclists are a pain....why?cant be bothered to use the brain space to over take:lol:

Mrs Bucket
15-Sep-09, 16:09
[quote=bish667;595202]Gizmo you got in there first.

:lol: would cycle lanes help fix the problem with kids having no brakes and hitting 'parked' cars, em.... no, kids arent goin to use cycle lanes as most dont use roads for travelling from A to B and getting in the way of traffic,kids just cycle around randomly messing around with their mates :lol:
Its not as simple as just putting a cycle lane on a road cos they either have to widen the road which is not possible on most roads or divide the existing road into 2 which is then going to make car drivers unhappy about anyway. Either way there isnt an adequate amount of cyclists in Thurso to warrant a cycle lane.[/quote
There is more to this post than kids and Thurso

maverick
15-Sep-09, 16:24

I totally agree with you , Parents should take responsibility for their children, and for their children's bicycles, I wonder how many kids own bikes that have become defective because the parents can't be bothered to service them, a child with a defective bike on a public road in my opinion is a potential recipe for disaster. So say a block insurance policy was to become available for family of cyclists then at least the cyclists are covered in the event of an accident, and because insurance companies would insist that all cycles were road worthy before insurance would be given surely that would be beneficial to all parties, and i still think that some sort of compulsory test should be undertaken by cyclists before they are allowed on the road, so as to ensure the cyclist has the basics of road safety. I believe that some bikes today can cost as much as a good second hand car, lets suppose that two cyclists are involved in an accident with each other and one is at fault, if insurance is involved then at least you have the peace of mind to know that your equipment is covered. I also believe that most parents would welcome such a scheme.
The costs involved would probably be less than the current cost of a TV license.
I know that there are many inconsiderate motorists who pose a danger to other road users and I dare say the same can be said about cyclists, I have seen cyclists ignore red stop lights and continue into the path of on coming vehicles and cyclists who ignore people at pedestrian crossings, I feel that insurance for cyclists should be compulsory.

daviddd
16-Sep-09, 09:42
....and maybe the govt should require pedestrians to have road tax too - after all they wear out the pavement - and the road for that matter whenever they cross it (;->). This is a silly idea from a govt desperate to recoup the billions that stupid greedy bankers have lost.

I pay my road tax for the car like most cyclists, so why, when I am cycling instead of driving and so saving road wear, do I have to pay again? What a daft idea!