PDA

View Full Version : Starting a family tree.

Mother Bear
13-Sep-09, 22:27
Have always wanted to do this , and was so pleased to see there was an evening class starting in Thurso, an introduction on how to go about researching family history and making a tree. I was then disappointed to hear that the class wasn't able to run as only 5 people had shown interest and they needed 10 to get the class going. [In the 4 years I have been here, I have applied to join seveal different evening classes but I have never made it yet as all of them have never had enough people interested to run the class!]
Anyway, a lady from the college did say that there was a genealogy group in the town hall on a Wed aft, where alot of folks went for help and information. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this? Is it still going? Is it just for 'local' families? I am English and need to do a nationwide search! Is there anything similar in Wick? Any info appreciated,thanks.

Bobinovich
14-Sep-09, 00:47
I don't know if Caithness Family History Society (http://www.caithnessfhs.org.uk/) is who you mean but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

trinkie
14-Sep-09, 17:09
Hi Mother Bear,

I agree with Bob, Caithness Family History Socy will help you get started, but of course their archives will be Caithness .

In the meantime, have a look at the thread at the top of this page, it will suggest where you should begin, and give plenty of addresses.
Most of us here of course use Scotlands People, but that's of no use to you. However you could try IGIsearch, that's a free site and provided you have names and rough dates it will get you started - but remember to check all that you are given from them, with the official Certificates, I'm afraid they are more expensive in England and Wales.
Another free site is Freecen, they have most of the census records and it's been added to all the time.
I have found both sites a great help.

Once you get started and have an idea of communities, it's worth checking if there are any Family History Groups in that area, there you will get an idea of history, employment, towns etc. It helps to fill in your names and dates.
Of course if you find any living relatives you will be able to exchange photos and build up your Family Album.....it's all great fun and I know you will enjoy it.

Good luck and happy hunting
remember if we can help here, then give us a try .
Trinkie

Mother Bear
14-Sep-09, 18:14
Oh thanks, Bob and trinkie for your very positive replies. Plenty there to be going on with methinks...can't wait to get started but I have other 'chores' which must take priority just now unfortunately. But really looking forward to getting stuck into some research in due course, it must be quite an exciting hobby, altho I also understand that folks do find some sad events and history too. Many thanks again.

Tricia
17-Sep-09, 00:09
Hi
Why don't you post some of the names dates places in Caithness etc of the families you relate to.
Some of us may be able to give you some help.
T

Sage
17-Sep-09, 17:10
Hi Mother Bear :D

I am the tutor for the evening class, and you're correct that unfortunately it didnt get enough interest this year. Hopefully it will run next year!

In the meantime the Caithness Family History Society do have people in attendance on Wednesdays in Caithness Horizons (2-4) (Im one of the volunteers and a committee member) where we can certainly help you get started. You are also most welcome to come to one of our evening meetings. We meet at Caithness Horizons on the second Wednesday of each month in the education room at CH, although the AGM is in October and I think its later this year to fit in with the school holidays.

The evening class deals with the basics of family history research but is actually very detailed and will give you all of the background you need to feel confident in researching your family. Here's hoping it runs next year :D

If you really dont know where to start feel free to PM me

domino
17-Sep-09, 19:43
It may sound obvious but start with what you know.Post on sites like this and you will be surprised at how things start to roll. Lots of help out there

Mother Bear
21-Sep-09, 22:00
Thanks again folks for your replies, info and encouragement. Yes I would certainly like to attend one of the meetings of the CFHS.......maybe the Novemeber one, just to get some ideas on how to search. Yes I need to get to the English 'searches'.......I just have no Caithness connections at all I'm afraid!.......just that I love living here!

Sage
23-Sep-09, 15:04
Hi again :D

Our Wednesday evening meetings are a great way to meet people and listen to the talks we have. However, if you're wanting information on how to start your searches, if you can, pop along an a Wednesday afternoon 2-4 and there will be someone there who can help you get started.

Dont worry about not having Caithness ancestry for now, the internet is a wonderful place to start!

Glaschujan
16-Oct-09, 21:30
There are also a host of forums such as Rootsweb http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ and Rootschat, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/ also Scotland's Family Tree http://www.scotfamtree.org.uk which are free to join, and you'll find lots of help. Happy Hunting!