PDA

View Full Version : Injured cat!! advice pls

Dadie
13-Sep-09, 21:24
My poor puss has finally wandered back with a large sore/scabbed over cut on his back leg and is limping....not in enough of a sorry state to be rushed to the vet tonight...but enough to be concerned about cleaning it up and seeing what he has managed to do to himself.
What is the easiest way to clean him up without him inflicting pain and injury to me?

Metalattakk
13-Sep-09, 21:37
My advice would be to leave him be. Water, food and warmth. That's all he needs.

He's more than capable of 'cleaning himself up' without your help, I would imagine.

If his injuries cause further concern over the next few days, then take him to the vet.

Gus
13-Sep-09, 21:41
Hello,

Lucky you! At least he/she's returned! It used to take two of us to clean ours up when he went out on his fighting trips.

You might find that, in a day or so, he/she will do it himself. Ours used to take a while to sleep and to settle down again, and get over what must have been stressful times. If he had things like abscesses needing cleaned or burst, the best and easiest thing to do (to save your own limbs from being torn off) is to put a towel around the cat's head, hold him really firmly on your lap and let someone else do the swabbing. If you can hold him on his back, all the better. That would enable you to hold a leg in each hand, too.

But really the best thing is to see if he/she'll sort it themselves when they've slept off their traumas.

Good luck.

Dadie
13-Sep-09, 21:48
He only wanted fed!
He ate his food then limped to the door and asked back out...as if THAT was going to happen!
He is going to be on house arrest for a few days until he is better.
That way if he needs the vet he is easier found and bundled in the dreaded catbasket!

Liz
13-Sep-09, 22:48
Glad to hear your cat has come back but sorry to hear he is injured.

If the are has scabbed over then it probably doesn't need cleaning. I would only bathe an open wound and then it would either be with a saline solution or colloidal silver(which I swear by and would never be without).

If you do need to clean it and he won't let you then Gus' suggestion is good.

Hopefully he will be okay soon.

Dadie
15-Sep-09, 20:40
Still limping.

Very annoyed with being on house arrest.

Littlest vet (3 yo girl with plastic docs kit) is helping....

Cat doesnt do bandages or stethascopes at the best of times:lol:

Dadie
16-Sep-09, 21:04
Infected and yucky!
Had to take him to the vets for antibiotics.
Any other ways to help the healing proccess (that a cat wont object to) ?

Still objecting to house arrest too:lol:

S&LHEN
16-Sep-09, 21:15
Chances are it was the stray black and white cat thats going about that attacked him. Im having the same problems he managed to get into one of my hutches a month ago and killed 3 of my rabbits I was devastated.
Thats why my poor kitten magic never gets out hes in 24/7 as the strays always prowling about somewhere:~(

Try putting a thingy that looks like a lamp shade round your cats neck and it ll stop your cat picking at it and means the ointment wont get licked of and she ll heal much quicker and wont get to bite you when your applying it xx

Dadie
16-Sep-09, 21:25
There is a tabby that lurks around our house that looks like Frodo but it has 1 big difference (well 2 really...mine has been done) it might be him that beat Frodo up!

He got a long lasting antibiotic injection ..no tabs or cream and the wound squeezed and cleaned.