PDA

View Full Version : Driving To Glasgow!

bigbenjokazooie
13-Sep-09, 20:10
hello,

making the big drive for the first time from Thurso to Glasgow. Im good on getting to inverness...just after then im a bit stuck, is it jst a follow the signs for Glasgow job? sounds all too easy :S

cheers, Ben.

davie
13-Sep-09, 20:15
Keep straight on at Inverness - take a right at Perth (then another) and weegie land will be ahead. simples but take your time and a few breaks if you have never driven that distance before.

Kodiak
13-Sep-09, 20:16
The way I would go is this

Straight down the A9 to Perth, then head for the Forth Road Bridge. Before you get there look for the sign for Kincardine Bridge and head there. Once across the Kincardine Bridge follow the Signposts to Glasgow.

Other orgers might know a better way.

lorry
13-Sep-09, 20:18
get sat nav!
I love it and cant live without it now.

camor
13-Sep-09, 20:28
The way I would go is this

Straight down the A9 to Perth, then head for the Forth Road Bridge. Before you get there look for the sign for Kincardine Bridge and head there. Once across the Kincardine Bridge follow the Signposts to Glasgow.

Other orgers might know a better way.

Don't head for the Forth Road Bridge!!!

Straight to Perth and second exit off the Inveralmond roundabout then the third exit off the Broxden roundabout and keep going. Just follow the signs for Stirling/Glasgow. Simples

Kodiak
13-Sep-09, 20:32
I looked it up on Google for you :-

Driving directions to Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK
277 mi – about 5 hours 42 mins

Thurso, Caithness
UK

1.Head northeast on B874/Princes St toward Paterson's Ln Continue to follow B874
0.1 mi
2.Turn right at the 3rd cross street onto B874/Sir John's Square 194 ft
3.Take the 1st right onto A9/Traill St 46 ft
4.Take the 1st left onto A9/Sir George's St Continue to follow A9
5.9 mi
5.Turn right to stay on A9 (signs for Inverness/A9)17.3 mi
6.Turn right to stay on A9 (signs for A9/Inverness)17.6 mi
7.At the roundabout, take the 1st exit and stay on A9 Go through 1 roundabout
38.1 mi
8.At Nigg Roundabout, take the 3rd exit and stay on A9 heading to Inverness Go through 3 roundabouts
138 mi
9.At Inveralmond Roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on A9 heading to Glasgow/A85/M90/Dundee/Edinburgh/Crianlarich/Stirling2.5 mi
10.At Broxden Roundabout, take the 3rd exit and stay on A9 heading to Glasgow/Stirling26.3 mi
11.At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto M9 heading to Stirling/Glasgow/Edinburgh/M80 6.6 mi
12.Continue on M80 (signs for Carlisle/M80/Glasgow) 6.9 mi
13.Continue on A80 (signs for M73/Carlisle/Glasgow) 10.4 mi
14.At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto M80 heading to M8/Greenock 4.5 mi
15.Merge onto M8 2.3 mi
16.At junction 17, exit toward A82/Dumbarton 0.1 mi
17.Turn left at Great Western Rd 82 ft
18.Continue on W Graham St 0.2 mi
19.Slight right at Garscube Rd 404 ft
20.Take the 1st right onto Cambridge St 0.1 mi
21.Turn left at Renfrew St 0.1 mi

Glasgow, Lanarkshire
UK

http://i25.tinypic.com/343kn0z.jpg

reddevil
13-Sep-09, 20:32
just follow a stevens truck!

joxville
13-Sep-09, 20:37
Whatever you do, don't follow Kodiaks 1st instructions lol

Follow signs for Perth then at Inveralmond roundabout take the 2 exit , follow for 2 miles then at Broxden roundabout take the 3rd exit for Stirling/ Glasgow. Follow that road for about 25 miles until you come to another roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto the M9 follow that road for a few miles which then splits, stay on the righthand side and take the M80 which leads onto the A80. After about 18 miles there's another roundabout, take the 3rd exit back onto the M80 which follows onto the M8 for Glasgow.

I didn't need Google, I've driven the road 163,581 times. ;)

camor
13-Sep-09, 20:55
I'm with you Joxville, Bigben would have ended up in Edinburgh or going round and round Knockhill (better option than going to weegieland mind you). Wouldn't like to follow Kodiak if they told me they knew the way, never know where you would end up!!!!:lol:

joxville
13-Sep-09, 20:58
Where in Glasgow are you going Bigben, do you need local directions?

bigbenjokazooie
13-Sep-09, 21:04
i wood borrow my dads sat nav but hes goin away next week to! just my luck!!

thanks for all the quick replies! if i knew were the inveralmond roundabout and the broxden roundabout was then id be ok lol they will be signposted with Glasgow on it surely...i will have a co pilot with me, shes a fan of More and Closer though so i dnt knw how much attention she will be giving lol

joxville
13-Sep-09, 21:06
i wood borrow my dads sat nav but hes goin away next week to! just my luck!!

thanks for all the quick replies! if i knew were the inveralmond roundabout and the broxden roundabout was then id be ok lol they will be signposted with Glasgow on it surely...i will have a co pilot with me, shes a fan of More and Closer though so i dnt knw how much attention she will be giving lol

Inveralmond and Broxden are on the outskirts of Perth, you won't need to go into Perth itself.

Perhaps there is a kind orger that would lend you a sat-nav. I would lend you mine but I live in Hampshire.

crayola
13-Sep-09, 22:58
Whatever you do, don't follow Kodiaks 1st instructions lol

Follow signs for Perth then at Inveralmond roundabout take the 2 exit , follow for 2 miles then at Broxden roundabout take the 3rd exit for Stirling/ Glasgow. Follow that road for about 25 miles until you come to another roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto the M9 follow that road for a few miles which then splits, stay on the righthand side and take the M80 which leads onto the A80. After about 18 miles there's another roundabout, take the 3rd exit back onto the M80 which follows onto the M8 for Glasgow.

I didn't need Google, I've driven the road 163,581 times. ;)Jox's instructions are spot on. I know because I've driven it 163,582 times. The most important bit is not to miss the turn from the M9 onto the M80

Inveralmond and Broxden are on the outskirts of Perth, you won't need to go into Perth itself.That's true but there's a place that does tea and scones between the Inveralmond and Broxden roundabouts. :)

theone
13-Sep-09, 23:04
Loads of roadworks Stirling area and into Glasgow.

Allow extra time.

crayola
13-Sep-09, 23:07
And try not to join the M8 between 4pm and 7pm unless you want a do or die lesson in motorway driving in heavy traffic. :eek:

joxville
13-Sep-09, 23:11
Jox's instructions are spot on. I know because I've driven it 163,582 times. The most important bit is not to miss the turn from the M9 onto the M80

That's true but there's a place that does tea and scones between the Inveralmond and Broxden roundabouts. :)
I always go in to the BP garage just off Inveralmond roundabout. Always get a pie and a coffee, twice if I'm returning that day. :)

joxville
13-Sep-09, 23:12
Jox's instructions are spot on. I know because I've driven it 163,582 times.

Oh yeah??? You had to go one better. :roll:

;)

Alice in Blunderland
13-Sep-09, 23:12
I always go in to the BP garage just off Inveralmond roundabout. Always get a pie and a coffee, twice if I'm returning that day. :)

I like to get a cup of tea from there its lovely and hot !:D

crayola
13-Sep-09, 23:16
Oh yeah??? You had to go one better. :roll:

;)
That's because of the time I missed the turn onto the M80 when I was daydreaming. I don't like making mistakes so I went back to Thurso and started again. :lol:

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-09, 23:21
just follow a stevens truck!

I tried that once and ended up in Tesco.:confused

zeppellin
13-Sep-09, 23:23
Keep straight on at Inverness - take a right at Perth (then another) and weegie land will be ahead. simples but take your time and a few breaks if you have never driven that distance before.
'Weegie land', can you be any more arrogant and narrow minded, not to mention disrespectful? Your attitude borders on racism, behave yourself!!!!

joxville
13-Sep-09, 23:25
That's because of the time I missed the turn onto the M80 when I was daydreaming. I don't like making mistakes so I went back to Thurso and started again. :lol:

Are you blonde? [lol]

crayola
13-Sep-09, 23:26
How did you guess? ;)

joxville
13-Sep-09, 23:29
How did you guess? ;)
I'm psychic. ;)

crayola
13-Sep-09, 23:32
I'm psychic. ;)
It's no laughing matter Jox. I ended up in Kincardine and met Kodiak coming the other way. :lol:

joxville
13-Sep-09, 23:34
It's no laughing matter Jox. I ended up in Kincardine and met Kodiak coming the other way. :lol:

Kincardine. Bridge. Gap. I'm oota here. :eek:

ywindythesecond
13-Sep-09, 23:42
hello,

making the big drive for the first time from Thurso to Glasgow. Im good on getting to inverness...just after then im a bit stuck, is it jst a follow the signs for Glasgow job? sounds all too easy :S

cheers, Ben.
Big Ben ,
Don't dream of driving to Glasgow unless your Gaelic is good!
ywy2

crayola
13-Sep-09, 23:42
Kincardine. Bridge. Gap. I'm oota here. :eek:
Oh God I wish I hadn't admitted that but I really did end up in Kincardine. I knew the M876 went to Denny where I could get onto the M80 but I somehow ended up going in the wrong direction. :confused

This just serves to emphasise how important it is not to miss the exit from the M9 onto the M80!

joxville
13-Sep-09, 23:45
Oh God I wish I hadn't admitted that but I really did end up in Kincardine. I knew the M876 went to Denny where I could get onto the M80 but I somehow ended up going in the wrong direction. :confused

This just serves to emphasise how important it is not to miss the exit from the M9 onto the M80!

...and not to daydream. [lol]

davie
14-Sep-09, 00:21
'Weegie land', can you be any more arrogant and narrow minded, not to mention disrespectful? Your attitude borders on racism, behave yourself!!!!

Guilty as charged your worshipfulness - I am arrogant, narrow minded & racist.

northener
14-Sep-09, 00:37
Arrr, satnav's be fer landlubbers and wooftahs.

You need just a piece of string and a Weegie attached to the other end - let him out of the car door and he'll automatically take the shortest route home.

Then when you've got to HMP Bairlinnie, you'll have to ask for directions.....:Razz

squidge
14-Sep-09, 22:45
Follow the roadsigns - i never take a map or a list and i never get lost - hmm apart from the time i couldnt find linlithgow, Oh and I never went the same way twice driving to chorlton from rochdale; oh and there was that time i gopt completely lost trying to get through manchester and an hour and a half after i left middleton i spotted the GUS building and finally found my way - i couldnt beleive i couldnt remember the way until i realised it was 20 years since i had driven it last!!!!! ...... 2nd thoughts copy down the instructions from here and READ them, pin them to your dashboard and stop every twenty miles and refer to them.

Enjoy x

crayola
26-Sep-09, 17:59
hello,

cheers, Ben.Did you get here ok bigbenjokazooie?