PDA

View Full Version : Using laptop away from home.

neepnipper
13-Sep-09, 12:16
Another question from me, sorry if these questions are a bit dumb but I'm not very technically minded!

In a few weeks I'm going on holiday down south and would like to be able to use the internet on my laptop while I'm away.

I know you can buy things that you stick in your laptop so you can get the internet but they all seem really confusing and seem to be related to mobile phones.

Some are cheaper than others, are some just the stick thing and then you put money on to it like a pay as you go phone and others preloaded with a certain amount of time?

Say, for example you bought an o2 one, would you only be able to use it where there is decent o2 mobile reception?

Can you only use them in 'hot spots', I know there are websites you can go to find out where 'hot spots' are.

Help please!!

EDDIE
13-Sep-09, 13:22
Another question from me, sorry if these questions are a bit dumb but I'm not very technically minded!

In a few weeks I'm going on holiday down south and would like to be able to use the internet on my laptop while I'm away.

I know you can buy things that you stick in your laptop so you can get the internet but they all seem really confusing and seem to be related to mobile phones.

Some are cheaper than others, are some just the stick thing and then you put money on to it like a pay as you go phone and others preloaded with a certain amount of time?

Say, for example you bought an o2 one, would you only be able to use it where there is decent o2 mobile reception?

Can you only use them in 'hot spots', I know there are websites you can go to find out where 'hot spots' are.

Help please!!

You mean a usb dongle it gives internet were ever there is reception they are prity good i would imagine places like orkney caithness might not be so good a reception as a city so i think its important to buy the right one the other thing as well a lot of dongles if you put £15 in it its only valid for the month and if u go over your data allowance u get stung big time.
Vodaphone is selling a pay as u go dongle were u pay for the data say 1gb and it does not have a time expiry u just top up when u run out i think the dongle is about £40 and u get a free 1gb which is £15 prity good deal considering its vodaphone and if u dont use it a lot at least u dont lose your data allowonce for what u paid for.
I have internet on my iphone through 02 its ok because i live in a city but if i got into the country its not so good
Im going to be getting a net book and will be going for vodaphone dongle.
If u are just surfing the internet and sending emails 1gb is ample and u would probable get about a months use out of using it a lot.If you are downloading a lot or big stuff dongle not so good?
U see all these good deals on 3dongles 4u dongles 02 dongles but whats the point in it if the reception isnt as good as vodafone or orange U can go onto there website and check there coverage if u wanted to.
What ever dongle u buy make sure its activated when u buy it and try it out before u go a lot of people think u just buy it and it works it has to be activated first?

Phill
13-Sep-09, 15:14
Hi Eddie

I recently bought a Vodafone pay as you go broadband USB stick for £35 from Tescos and this included £15 credit.

This gives me 1GB for £15 but it rolls over, I think all the others I have seen run out within 30 days, however you can get 1Gb for £10.

You don't need Hot Spots, that normally relates to Wireless coverage that you get in airports and hotels etc. and is normally chargable.

Obviously you can only use broadband dongles on the network that they supplied by so if you know where your going to stay get on the websites and check the coverage.
You really want good to excellent 3G coverage for it to perform, you can get away with GPRS coverage but this gets a little slow.

As for using the vodafone one it is just a plug and play device, no need to mess around changing settings etc.

neepnipper
13-Sep-09, 21:28
Thanks for the help. Tesco and Argos are both out of stock of the Vodafone USB dongle stick thingy but I've ordered one from The Link for £30.97 with free delivery. Coverage should be ok for where I'm going.

EDDIE
14-Sep-09, 17:27
Thanks for the help. Tesco and Argos are both out of stock of the Vodafone USB dongle stick thingy but I've ordered one from The Link for £30.97 with free delivery. Coverage should be ok for where I'm going.

Please remember if u buy the pay as u go when u get home it will work but you are restricted in viewing website over 18 eg william hill betting and so on you have to phone up the help line to unrestrict u. you have to prove your over 18 buy registering with a credit card.