PDA

View Full Version : Shell pies

2little2late
04-Apr-06, 15:45
I have to say Johnston's of Thurso shell pies are beautiful. I find their pastries far nicer than the bakers in Wick too.

coastown
04-Apr-06, 16:50
thurso shell pies are good but i find they arent what they used to be something lacking in them:lol:

emszxr
04-Apr-06, 17:45
they are nice but you really dont want to know what goes in them

acameron
04-Apr-06, 18:15
aahhhemmm -- I am the pie master and agree the pies in Johnstones are not too bad - but there isnt enough free ones available to council workers. Also when we are on the subect I have a couple of other questions.
Why was Johnstones shut on Monday... I was left high and dry without a pie.
I had to eat filled rolls and I wasnt right all day. Also, i went the local shop two weeks ago whilst doing my duty as a council operative, as I am willing to comprimise when Johnstones arent near by, and went for a pork pie as a substitute. When I went to pay for the pie the guy asked for £1.29......"WHIT"....."I'll no bother". I wouldnt mind going to say maybe 90p or even 95p, but £1.29 for a lower standard pie....I dont know what this world is coming to. Anyways am all wound up now about pies, Im away for a lay doon for a while.

obiron
04-Apr-06, 18:40
I have to say Johnston's of Thurso shell pies are beautiful. I find their pastries far nicer than the bakers in Wick too.

not a big pie fan but dont mind a bit of theres. its the yum yums i like. sickly sweet but yum yummy. a wee treat now and again.;)

bluewickers
04-Apr-06, 19:37
You canne beat a killie pie. long way to get one but boy is it far superior to the ones you get up here.

connieb19
04-Apr-06, 19:46
Macdonalds Bakery's steak pies are pretty good too....:grin:

Doleve
04-Apr-06, 19:48
Johnstones pies are good, but macdonalds pies can be good nfor a change. The cliff bakery in Wick has the best morning rolls I think.Dont think a lot of their pies.

Billy Boy
04-Apr-06, 21:30
aahhhemmm -- I am the pie master and agree the pies in Johnstones are not too bad - but there isnt enough free ones available to council workers. Also when we are on the subect I have a couple of other questions.
Why was Johnstones shut on Monday... I was left high and dry without a pie.
I had to eat filled rolls and I wasnt right all day. Also, i went the local shop two weeks ago whilst doing my duty as a council operative, as I am willing to comprimise when Johnstones arent near by, and went for a pork pie as a substitute. When I went to pay for the pie the guy asked for £1.29......"WHIT"....."I'll no bother". I wouldnt mind going to say maybe 90p or even 95p, but £1.29 for a lower standard pie....I dont know what this world is coming to. Anyways am all wound up now about pies, Im away for a lay doon for a while.

well well ac if you feel that strongly aboot yer pie's maybe you should open your own pie shop then.......but by the sounds of it there wouldnt be many pie's to sell....
I think you got a wee bit excited aboot the price o a pork pie, mind you if it wiz a wee one then a totally understand....
Have you ever concidered getting a pie maker and make yer own lol[smirk]

2little2late
04-Apr-06, 21:35

Doesn't bother me one bit. As long as they taste nice I don't care.

unicorn
04-Apr-06, 21:46
I love the shells on Johnstons pies.

outsider
05-Apr-06, 14:33
Johnstones was closed bcos it was a bank holiday i think.

acameron
05-Apr-06, 17:26
too late billy boy - pie making machine in the kitchen - going 24/7

obiron
06-Apr-06, 17:01
You canne beat a killie pie. long way to get one but boy is it far superior to the ones you get up here.

whats the saying for that
say aye tae a killie pie.:eyes :lol:

krieve
06-Apr-06, 17:59
mmmmmmmm just having one right now yum yum yum lol

Bobinovich
30-Apr-06, 00:06
not a big pie fan but dont mind a bit of theres. its the yum yums i like. sickly sweet but yum yummy. a wee treat now and again.;)

Try the yum-yums with cream in them - I think they only do them Fridays/Saturdays. It takes a bit of the sickly sweet edge off but the confectioners cream adds a certain je ne sais quoi which makes them irresistable. Now I know where they get their name from...

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
30-Apr-06, 06:53
I have to say Johnston's of Thurso shell pies are beautiful. I find their pastries far nicer than the bakers in Wick too.Have to agree here when I visited in 2004 I had to take a couple of dozen pies down to my kid sister who loves them,That way she wont get up me for going past to Thurso first,I did not get a taste as she hides them as soon as I give them to her,hope she dosent see this http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

kwbrown111
02-May-06, 23:12
Johnstons shell pies have really gone down hill. give me a pie shop one anyday or even a houstons

Phoebus_Apollo
04-May-06, 00:06

what exactly does go in them??

donss
04-May-06, 13:18
for anyone travelling to or lucky enough to live on the South side of Brisbane: Try Syds Pies, just down from the Hyperdome at Loganholme (see: http://www.highlandflingproducts.com )

Best Scottish Pies in the Southern Hemisphere!!! Used to call in regularly on my way to work........ Hmmmm! Nearly as good as a pie on the beach at Cardwell!!!

Darkie: Don't miss this when you travel up to Qld next.......

Oh: And I remember a few years ago that there was a deli in Penrith Plaza, bottom of the Blue Mountains (West of Sydney) that did great pies too. Ahhh, I can't wait to go back!

Naefearjustbeer
04-May-06, 13:19
what exactly does go in them??

At a guess eylids, nostrils ands a few other unmentionables. I did hear tell that the pies were made with elephant meat as they do look a bit grey inside :lol: Still they taste good and the stuff that goes in them is still better than the stuff that go into mechanically recovered chicken products. Did anyone see the jamie oliver program a while back :eek:

Phoebus_Apollo
04-May-06, 16:03
At a guess eylids, nostrils ands a few other unmentionables. I did hear tell that the pies were made with elephant meat as they do look a bit grey inside :lol: Still they taste good and the stuff that goes in them is still better than the stuff that go into mechanically recovered chicken products. Did anyone see the jamie oliver program a while back :eek:

I did wonder what that chewy bit was this morning

..oh well tastes good so thats all that matters!!

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
17-May-06, 06:34
for anyone travelling to or lucky enough to live on the South side of Brisbane: Try Syds Pies, just down from the Hyperdome at Loganholme (see: http://www.highlandflingproducts.com )

Best Scottish Pies in the Southern Hemisphere!!! Used to call in regularly on my way to work........ Hmmmm! Nearly as good as a pie on the beach at Cardwell!!!

Darkie: Don't miss this when you travel up to Qld next.......

Oh: And I remember a few years ago that there was a deli in Penrith Plaza, bottom of the Blue Mountains (West of Sydney) that did great pies too. Ahhh, I can't wait to go back! http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif Thanks for the tip Donss,but for me its down,I'm up near Gladstone,but have 2 sisters in Goodna,and a friend in Carindale,so next time I go down I'll check them out

donss
17-May-06, 09:00
http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif Thanks for the tip Donss,but for me its down,I'm up near Gladstone,but have 2 sisters in Goodna,and a friend in Carindale,so next time I go down I'll check them out

Ah, Gladstone & Boyne Island: I've travelled through quite a few times when doing the Townsville to Bne run, except when I stayed on the main hwy to get a coffee and a kit-kat at the driver-reviver at Calliope!.... a fine spot. I thought you were down in SA though? Must have picked that up wrong...... Mind you I did think some of your photos looked too good not to be from Qld!!! LOL

Jeez: It's well into May now: You must be getting cold... LOL

dunderheed
31-May-06, 17:31
as bluewickers and obiron mentioned you really cant beat the famous killie pie. their peppered steak slices are ace too.

http://www.killiepie.com