PDA

View Full Version : Mc MAC

Photographer
12-Sep-09, 19:32
Hello and good evening to y'all.

An enquiry really.

Are there any Mac users out there or am I a forlorn lonely sole surrounded by PC People?

teddybear1873
12-Sep-09, 19:35

An enquiry really.

Are there any Mac users out there or am I a forlorn lonely sole surrounded by PC People?

I'm chumping on a BigMac as I speak. Big N Tasty. Don't you love fast food :-)

Kodiak
12-Sep-09, 19:42
I have a Mac but I only wear it when it is Raining. [lol]

Photographer
12-Sep-09, 19:43
Didn't really mean the direct fat intake type Mac. But if you can use it to log on Fair nuff:lol:

joxville
12-Sep-09, 19:48
I have a pc. It's great for the internet but crap at keeping me dry. ;)

Kodiak
12-Sep-09, 19:53
Yes a PC is Great for the Internet and a MAC is only good to keep you dry in the Rain.

Photographer
12-Sep-09, 20:43
I take then I am alone on this island of technological excellence?

Just wondered as it would be good to share stuff!

joxville
12-Sep-09, 21:11
I take then I am alone on this island of technological excellence?

Just wondered as it would be good to share stuff!

Hopefully not viruses. :eek: :)

Seriously, what is the difference between a Mac and a PC?

North Light
12-Sep-09, 21:44
Nope, your not alone, I'm a confirmed Mac user.

ŠAmethyst
12-Sep-09, 22:21
Hopefully not viruses. :eek: :)

Seriously, what is the difference between a Mac and a PC?

At a guess... a nice, juicy apple perhaps?

Photographer
13-Sep-09, 20:07
North Light, thanks for the rescue.

As for the difference between Macs & PCs? I really don't want to go down that road unless dragged kicking and screaming;)

The fact that both North Light and I are photographers might give you an idea though:D

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-09, 20:30

As for the difference between Macs & PCs? I really don't want to go down that road unless dragged kicking and screaming;)

The fact that both North Light and I are photographers might give you an idea though:D

So,.... if North Light has a break down, you lens him your's ,and if you have a break down, North light will lens you his? :roll:

susan.leith
13-Sep-09, 20:58
Been a Mac user for a very long time...... 15 years maybe? In fact, this is a PC free household - husband, son and myself all use Mac laptops. But don't want to get into the "what's the difference" saga!!
Oh, and I got a really nice mac in Marks and Spencer last weekend!

Dog
13-Sep-09, 21:30
Talk about this and you'll go around in circles over the pro's and cons of Mac's and PC's for an eternity, Mac users are Mac users and probably wont change, PC users wonder what all the talk is about Mac's.
Be happy with what you are it's not a social crime to use a Mac.

Kodiak
13-Sep-09, 21:36

I was also Photographer for over 45 years. Your Computer is only as Good as its program's

MAC's are just too expensive and I do not like their OS. (Before you ask I have used MAC's, and at one time worked on the Technicial Help Desk for MAC's at BT Internet)

I presume if you are a Photographer and using a computer you have Photoshop. I can assure you my Photophop CS3 works great on my PC and you do not need a MAC to use it.

John Baikie
13-Sep-09, 21:41

I'd say in my experience - more or less as many of them use PC as MAC, even at the top end of the industry. Even then some of them only change because they think it's better, not because it actually makes a difference. (A bit like buying a better camera and not understanding why the pictures aren't any better :D).
It depends what you are used to I guess. I've tried both and never felt any need to change my equipmant from PC to MAC.

zeppellin
13-Sep-09, 23:38

Tell me photographer, are you from a land down under?

dirdyweeker
14-Sep-09, 00:26

An enquiry really.

my son is a "mac" fanatic. Never looked at his pc since owning one for over a year.

Photographer
14-Sep-09, 00:47
Just read you all and say again do not want to go down the lets compare root. As has been said too many times each to his/her own.

I'm actually looking out my window across the bay at Scrabsters lights. Hmmm?
Guess thats not down under!

Main reason for asking the first question was that I suppose apart from my lovely wife I have had no contact with fellow Mac persons since retiring and moving up here.

So I thought I'd ask and maybe get in touch with my minority brethren with a view to maybe being of use/interest to each other.

Hope thats not geeky or odd!?:confused

Boozeburglar
14-Sep-09, 05:10
Oh yes it is. Geeky, odd and every inch the behaviour observed in the Mac user. The spectacle of loners forming into groups on the basis of their 'hardware' is at once shocking and ironic in light of the recent developments. After all, it really is only the O/S that now reveals their ailment. The last ten years really have seen a swing towards "IBM Compatibles" in the areas normally the preserve of the Mac. Much of the industry standard software is cross platform now, but out of the box Macs are still by their nature more user friendly for those who want to just get on and use them as a part of their creative workflow. For most of us, that really does not justify their relative expense, but they still have a place. I love them, but have not bought a dedicated one for years, after all they are now really just the same as the Windows boxes, albeit beautifully turned out. Don't be ashamed of using one. You are no harming anyone, as long as you keep it behind closed doors, and amongst your fellow users.

celtic1888
14-Sep-09, 08:16
My brother just got a new mac pc and its brilliant!
Have a look, he has just bought the dearest one.
Save save save and it could be yours...

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=Nzk2MzI5MA

North Light
14-Sep-09, 12:22
At the risk of getting drawn into which is better, my comments for what they are worth!

As Boozeburglar very correctly says, essentially the same hardware, same processors so the differences of yesteryear have gone. Operating System is different, better? No not necessarily, easier to use? Possibly. Less interventionist? Can't comment on Windows 7, but certainly true of Vista and XP.

As an amateur photographer, does it make me take better photographs? absolutely not, thats down to the photographers skill, the ability to use processing programs, a bit of luck etc.

Taking the essence from John Baikie's comment, a computer is like a camera, a tool, what you use is your choice, learn to use it properly and don't expect a change to the latest model, or different brand to improve your results.
Thats down to you!

Photographer
14-Sep-09, 17:10
At the risk of getting drawn into which is better, my comments for what they are worth!

As Boozeburglar very correctly says, essentially the same hardware, same processors so the differences of yesteryear have gone. Operating System is different, better? No not necessarily, easier to use? Possibly. Less interventionist? Can't comment on Windows 7, but certainly true of Vista and XP.

As an amateur photographer, does it make me take better photographs? absolutely not, thats down to the photographers skill, the ability to use processing programs, a bit of luck etc.

Taking the essence from John Baikie's comment, a computer is like a camera, a tool, what you use is your choice, learn to use it properly and don't expect a change to the latest model, or different brand to improve your results.
Thats down to you!

Will not argue with any of that.

I think Mac users work a bit differently to PC ers. I was a PC person for many years but when throwing my last one through a window I decided it just could not be me all the time!

Finding a little 12" laptop from Mac probably saved my sanity and my business.

Anyhow or way.

All I really wanted to know was there any room or enthusiasm for the enlightened ones ;) to be aware of each other formerly or not as references, inspiration or dare I say fault fixing pointers in the right direction?:eek:

jimbews
15-Sep-09, 11:40

As someone who has to support all platforms I'll add my tuppence worth.

Users need to use the platform that does what THEY want.
If the software they need is available on both Mac and PC, then choose what you prefer to use.
If you prefer to work on the Mac, have one of the newer ones with an Intel processor but need an occasional PC program, buy a copy of WinXP (if you can get it) and run it under Parallels, Fusion or Sun's VirtualBox (the latter is free).

At work I support about 800 computers, over 25% of which are Macs. The Macs create very few problems. The overwhemling majority of new staff (we've grown massively recently) come with Macs and they are converting existing staff.

Even before this, one large research group had converted from each having a Silicon Graphics (Unix) workstation plus a Windows PC to a Mac each: a massive cost saving.

One test is TCO: Total Cost of Ownership.
Based on that test, in my experience the Mac wins.

Having said that: I'm currently sitting in front of a PC running Vista with a Mac and an XP system at my side.
Tend to use a PC desktop at home and carry an XP laptop back and fore.
But if I'm out round "my" 2 buildings looking at the network I'll take my 12 inch MacBook (and that's what I take on holiday).

Conclusion: don't listen to anyone else who says what is "better".
Use what works and what suits your way of working.

Also consider the use of Linux systems such as Ubuntu (although that's not the flavour I use) and OpenOffice (or NeoOffice on the Mac). OpenOffice has got me out of quite a few problems caused by MS Office!

JimBews

Tighsonas4
15-Sep-09, 12:54
dont really knoew what you are asking but am not afraid to say so rather than speak a load of rubbish. itsnot always easy to ask a simple question on here thes days and get a straight forward answer regards tony