PDA

View Full Version : Tesco = No Logic

Gizmo
12-Sep-09, 17:17
Ok, you're at the checkout, you have your Clubcard scanned, so that particular checkout knows who you are, and what you have purchased in the past, as all Tesco purchaces are logged through the Clubcard, then after you have paid, out pops your receipt and occasionally a discount voucher.....great!, well...not really.
You would think that the Tesco computer system would give you a discount voucher that is relevant to your regular purchases...but No!...that's too much like common sense for Tesco. Twice this week i have been given a £5 discount voucher for alcohol, are they trying to tempt me off the wagon? :lol:, i've not bought alcohol out of Tesco for nearly two years...and they know that, so what bloomin' use is a alcohol discount voucher to me?...absolutely bloomin' none, it would be nice to actually get a voucher that i could make use off.....c'mon Tesco, sort it out:confused:

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 17:20
brilliant marketing isn't it - trying to get you back purchasing what you haven't for a while....

Kodiak
12-Sep-09, 17:29
Simple really.

Tesco know that they can sell you X,Y & Z but they also know that you do not buy A,B,or C.

So they will give you a discount voucher for the items you do not usually buy, for they figure if you are not buying from them you must be from elsewhere.

Since they want you to buy from them they give you the Voucher for something you do not buy.

As I said Simple.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 17:32
brilliant marketing - subjects of whole theses.

northener
12-Sep-09, 17:32
That explains why I keep getting vouchers for healthy living and low-fat items.:~(

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 17:33
That explains why I keep getting vouchers for healthy living and low-fat items.:~(

hahahahhahhahah

Stefan
12-Sep-09, 17:43
Actually everybody who spends over 30 pounds gets a 5 pound voucher for alcohol....

I spent 28 pounds and a bit in tesco twice this week.... Would be cool if they told you after scanning all your shopping that you just need to spend another 1 pound 23 to get a voucher... but no... that would be too much to ask.

bish667
12-Sep-09, 17:46
I got the same voucher (£5 alcohol).
I would have thought its got nothing to do with who you are or what your buying, I thought it was a standard offer at the time that everyone will get if they spend over a certain amount.

pat
12-Sep-09, 17:49
I tend not to buy fresh fruit or soft fruits etc from the dreaded TTTT as they "go off" much quicker than Co-op soft fruits, fruit and veg - so what vouchers do I continually get - yes fruit and veg
Be a long time before I buy soft fruit from TTTTT as I find it covered in mould the day after buying - long before their sell by date or best before..
We only have Co-op or TTTTT here so not much choice - even wish Safeway were back, or better still Morrisons who were here for such a short time.
But we have to shop between the two and the dreaded TTTT is definitely trying to win all the customers but most of the folk I know shop between the two.

Gizmo
12-Sep-09, 17:54
brilliant marketing isn't it - trying to get you back purchasing what you haven't for a while....

Not really, if i'm not buying a certain product from Tesco with my weekly shop, there is probably a good reason for that, and a one time discount voucher is not likely to get me buying that product from them on a regular basis, so all Tesco are doing is doing is getting me to buy the product once, at a price that's probably making them sod all money.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 17:59
Not really, if i'm not buying a certain product from Tesco with my weekly shop, there is probably a good reason for that, and a one time discount voucher is not likely to get me buying that product from them on a regular basis, so all Tesco are doing is doing is getting me to buy the product once, at a price that's probably making them sod all money.

ok so thats you ....but if for so long you bought a product and then stopped the reason wasn't necessarily for financial reasons - you maybe just haven't bought it, so they give you a voucher and you buy it for the sake of money off and rekindle your love for the product you maybe continue purchasing it...... because of their profits they can afford to give you money on off purchases too..... it's still shifting things off shelves - maybe items that others haven't been buying either....it's keeping the cashflow going (not that they have a problem with that) but you're still making the purchase and even if 1 in 100 people buy the product a second time it's worth it.

Obviously if you've sworn yourself off alcohol for whatever reason then that;s different their efforts are wasted but someone like me who doesn't usually buy alcohol from Tesco because we don't really drink any in the house then to get a £5 off voucher even though I don't USUALLY buy from tesco would be grand because I could get a good bottle of wine for cooking with a steak or maybe a bottle o whisky to keep for someone for christmas etc etc etc

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 18:02
what would be no logic was if you never bought nappies and they gave you a voucher for nappies....

Gizmo
12-Sep-09, 18:10
Obviously if you've sworn yourself off alcohol for whatever reason then that;s different their efforts are wasted but someone like me who doesn't usually buy alcohol from Tesco because we don't really drink any in the house then to get a £5 off voucher even though I don't USUALLY buy from tesco would be grand because I could get a good bottle of wine for cooking with a steak or maybe a bottle o whisky to keep for someone for christmas etc etc etc

But that's my point, they would be getting a one time purchase from yourself, you're not going to start buying the product from them each week, so their logic behind giving you a voucher doesn't work.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 18:12
But that's my point, they would be getting a one time purchase from yourself, you're not going to start buying the product from them each week, so their logic behind giving you a voucher doesn't work.

what im saying though is that isn't always the case..... the one time voucher for what you usually buy - why bother you're spending that money anyway ..... better to give money on the off chance you will make that weekly purchase..... I have tried new / different products through their vouchers and continued to buy....

bobbyrussell09
12-Sep-09, 18:35
oh look another post about someone not happy with something about tesco ,its an offer thats advertised ,they have posters saying this about the place ,front door ,an on the windows ,even a big carpark banner as you come in.

redeyedtreefrog
12-Sep-09, 18:41
I tend not to buy fresh fruit or soft fruits etc from the dreaded TTTT as they "go off" much quicker than Co-op soft fruits, fruit and veg

I usually find Tesco's fruit quite under-ripe.

Gizmo
12-Sep-09, 19:19
oh look another post about someone not happy with something about tesco ,its an offer thats advertised ,they have posters saying this about the place ,front door ,an on the windows ,even a big carpark banner as you come in.

Can't say i noticed, saw the poster advertising money off fuel vouchers, but not £5 alcohol voucers.

emc246
12-Sep-09, 22:20
Shut up and go to the other big local supermarket we have then...oh wait - there isn't one! So be grateful or you'd be being ripped off with poor choice in the co-op and somerfield all your lives.

©Amethyst
12-Sep-09, 22:33
Shut up and go to the other big local supermarket we have then...oh wait - there isn't one! So be grateful or you'd be being ripped off with poor choice in the co-op and somerfield all your lives.

hmmm...

I find that Tesco are the ones ripping me off.

Although I am not in Caithness (yet) the supermarkets down here that I use are the same ones you can find in Caithness. Since I stopped doing my main food shop in tesco, I've noticed that my weekly shop costs about half as much as it once did.

If the vouchers weren't just for alcohol but for things you didn't buy - you could have a voucher swap on the org! :)

hannahwenbourne
12-Sep-09, 23:02
i m hannahs mun and would like to say that i moved to the highlands to get away from the supermarket monopoly - however i miss the open fruit/meat markets i had access to - you cant please all the people all the time - there is obviously a demand for tesco

gleeber
12-Sep-09, 23:19
I don't think too much about the psychology the supermarkets bamboozle me with to make me spend more than I need to. I just let them work their spell over me especially now when Cadburys Roses are 2 tins for a tenner. Supermarkets are just a part of a big cog in any community. Imagine life without them? :~(

grumpy1
13-Sep-09, 13:26
and were off again......boring....:rolleyes:

littledog
13-Sep-09, 15:38
I know what you mean me or my husband do not drink and i think we have had three of these stupid vouchers that my husband only goes and gives away to anybody that will take them poeple need to be getting vouchers that they can use towards there shopping like a five pound off when you spend £30 or something[evil][evil][evil]

grumpy1
13-Sep-09, 17:25
I know what you mean me or my husband do not drink and i think we have had three of these stupid vouchers that my husband only goes and gives away to anybody that will take them poeple need to be getting vouchers that they can use towards there shopping like a five pound off when you spend £30 or something[evil][evil][evil]
it is £5 off the alcohol after u spend £30...on your shopping....

bobbyrussell09
14-Sep-09, 19:29
u have ur clubcard points if ur looking for money off,or if ur licky u get a voucher at the till for money off things or extra point

©Amethyst
14-Sep-09, 23:24
So it's not if we spend £30+ on our shopping that we get a voucher... it's if we're lucky?

Will have to go in more often and buy less at a time if that's the case...

roflmao

Matthew
15-Sep-09, 14:10
Ok, you're at the checkout, you have your Clubcard scanned, so that particular checkout knows who you are, and what you have purchased in the past, as all Tesco purchaces are logged through the Clubcard, then after you have paid, out pops your receipt and occasionally a discount voucher.....great!, well...not really.
You would think that the Tesco computer system would give you a discount voucher that is relevant to your regular purchases...but No!...that's too much like common sense for Tesco. Twice this week i have been given a £5 discount voucher for alcohol, are they trying to tempt me off the wagon? :lol:, i've not bought alcohol out of Tesco for nearly two years...and they know that, so what bloomin' use is a alcohol discount voucher to me?...absolutely bloomin' none, it would be nice to actually get a voucher that i could make use off.....c'mon Tesco, sort it out:confused:

From working in Tesco I can tell you this...

The £5 off multipack boxes of stella/becks/strongbow coupon that you recieved is only a temporary promotion which all customers that spend a certain amount recieve this coupon. No matter whether they drink alcohol or not. You should still sometimes receive coupons which are relevant to you but this is just a temporary promotion. If it is no use to you, you could just give it to somebody that will use it. Personally I think it's a great deal. lol.

lister
15-Sep-09, 19:41
From working in Tesco I can tell you this...

The £5 off multipack boxes of stella/becks/strongbow coupon that you recieved is only a temporary promotion which all customers that spend a certain amount recieve this coupon. No matter whether they drink alcohol or not. You should still sometimes receive coupons which are relevant to you but this is just a temporary promotion. If it is no use to you, you could just give it to somebody that will use it. Personally I think it's a great deal. lol.

I agree Mathew and whilst the supermarkets and other retail outlets compose their deals to the customer with psycology and hype we are after all getting something for nothing!!ay!why compain?

grumpy1
15-Sep-09, 20:36
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY....YOU CAN PLEASE SOME FOLK SOME OF THE TIME...BUT YOU CANT PLEASE ALL THE FOLK ALL OF THE TIME.....OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT..[lol]