PDA

View Full Version : Teacher in the past

Ricco
04-Apr-06, 13:30
I have been following the reminiscences of past stores in Thurso for several days now. I have a mind to start something similar about teachers that we have all known in previous years. No doubt this has already been done and I missed the boat, so please forgive me if this is true.

At Thurso High I remember Netta Duck, my RE teacher (I think that was really a nickname); Mrs (Dragon) Duncan in English. No doubt more will occur to me as time goes by.

bingo1
04-Apr-06, 13:41
I went to wick high and i remember porky makenzie, Soup dragon (mrs ruddle) and there was a few more with nick names but i dont want to offend or be nasty. I miss my school days....

bingo1
04-Apr-06, 13:44
Oh i also remember Mr stewart my o i s teacher he was very strict... He once threw a ruler at me because hed previously told me to cut my nails and i didnt do it. he was old school teacher.... without a doubt.

The Angel Of Death
04-Apr-06, 15:22
Mr stewart my o i s teacher he was old school teacher.... without a doubt.

Good old thunderguts not even the worst tried it on with him you just knew he wouldnt take anything at all

I reckon the schools could use a few more like him nowadays

Buttercup
04-Apr-06, 15:33
I have been following the reminiscences of past stores in Thurso for several days now. I have a mind to start something similar about teachers that we have all known in previous years. No doubt this has already been done and I missed the boat, so please forgive me if this is true.

At Thurso High I remember Netta Duck, my RE teacher (I think that was really a nickname); Mrs (Dragon) Duncan in English. No doubt more will occur to me as time goes by.

Netta Duck's name was Miss Ryrie. Do you remember (late 60's):
Squeaky Dunn ~ Chemistry
Belt 1st, questions later ~ Chemistry
Lurch ~ English
Peanuts ~ Maths
Goofy ~ Geography
Cod Face ~ Homecraft
Handsome Harry ~ Geography
Mary Tips ~ Typing
Granny Gunn ~ English
Nougie ~ The top man!

Ricco
04-Apr-06, 15:59
Gosh, Buttercup - your memory is much better than mine. Might be 'cos I never finished my time there - family moved south in my third year. I had a crazy lady French teacher - top floor; strange little man for music (I couldn't play a note - used to drive him mad!); ex-wrestler for Maths (used to throw the wooden board duster at us); two nice science teachers (one lady and one bloke). The others I cannot remember at all. Lunches in the dining hall were good. We each used to have a prefect on our table - to keep us in order, heh! Fridays were best - macaroni and cheese with chips, brill!

bingo1
04-Apr-06, 16:09
Good old thunderguts not even the worst tried it on with him you just knew he wouldnt take anything at all

I reckon the schools could use a few more like him nowadays Yea i agree the schools can do with a few more like him. He didnt do me any harm. Kept us in line more like... I knew he had a knickname but i couldnt remember it. A teacher that i really got on with and respected was Mr alan from the history department. I have also remembered a few more knicknames....
Mad more- Geography
Spam- Mr manson (rector)
Turbo T- Mrs stewart computing
Termonator- Mr Stewart Maths
Eagle Beek- Miss manson Maths
Hutchie half bot- english:o)

brokencross
04-Apr-06, 17:10
At Thurso High School (1967 to 1969 ish), I was taught Navigation by a Captain Manson, knickname "Parahandy", a lovely bloke. In fact it was his influence that made me join the M.N.

For English I had Mrs Miller a truly gentle lady, and of course Granny Gunn, (I never ever forgave her for making us learn Tam o' Shanter off by heart for our "O" level.)

Mr Baikie taught us Technical Drawing, didn't dare cause him any bother. (I actually met him socially as he lodged with a friend of my Mam and Dad's, out of school he was a totally different person.)

Maths we had Mrs McClelland and Brucie, (he had been teaching the same Maths lessons for so long he knew the logarithms off by heart)

P.E. was by Mr Kidd, he didn't know what bad weather was when it came to outdoor sports.

French was an more mature lady called Mrs Baird who actually spoke perfect French (grammatically) except it was in a distinct Scottish accent if you can imagine that.

Physics was taught by Mrs Pollock a strict but fair lady who actually made Fizzics Fun.

A Mr Wright tried to teach us Mechanics, put me off engineering for life; he only taught me to fall asleep with my eyes open!

I think Geography was Mr Campbell, he made it interesting and was a down to earth sort of chap who you could talk to. (He came from Wick, I think)

The school Janitor was Jock, always wore a brown workcoat type thing. If you treated him well, he would look after you e.g let inside at lunchtime when it was pouring down with rain.

Oh Happy Days (especially since I had just come up from 3 years at an All Boys Grammar school; sharing a classroom with lovely girls was heaven)

Buttercup
04-Apr-06, 17:38
At Thurso High School (1967 to 1969 ish), I was taught Navigation by a Captain Manson, knickname "Parahandy", a lovely bloke. In fact it was his influence that made me join the M.N.

For English I had Mrs Miller a truly gentle lady, and of course Granny Gunn, (I never ever forgave her for making us learn Tam o' Shanter off by heart for our "O" level.)

Mr Baikie taught us Technical Drawing, didn't dare cause him any bother. (I actually met him socially as he lodged with a friend of my Mam and Dad's, out of school he was a totally different person.)

Maths we had Mrs McClelland and Brucie, (he had been teaching the same Maths lessons for so long he knew the logarithms off by heart)

P.E. was by Mr Kidd, he didn't know what bad weather was when it came to outdoor sports.

French was an more mature lady called Mrs Baird who actually spoke perfect French (grammatically) except it was in a distinct Scottish accent if you can imagine that.

Physics was taught by Mrs Pollock a strict but fair lady who actually made Fizzics Fun.

A Mr Wright tried to teach us Mechanics, put me off engineering for life; he only taught me to fall asleep with my eyes open!

I think Geography was Mr Campbell, he made it interesting and was a down to earth sort of chap who you could talk to. (He came from Wick, I think)

The school Janitor was Jock, always wore a brown workcoat type thing. If you treated him well, he would look after you e.g let inside at lunchtime when it was pouring down with rain.

Oh Happy Days (especially since I had just come up from 3 years at an All Boys Grammar school; sharing a classroom with lovely girls was heaven)
We were obviously there at the same time!
I had Mrs Holiday and Mr Young(not the rector) for French - one of these (don't want to say which) used to go into the cupboard for a quick smoke they didn't realise that the smoke would billow out the air vent in the door!
Mr (Alan) Campbell was the Geography teacher and I think most of the girls had a crush on him, he was indeed from Wick. If I remember right, he left to get married:confused Ma Campbell was my Maths teacher right through school. Miss Williamson for music - her father had the shoe shop next to Clarks. Mr Lafferty was the head Music teacher and we used to have great fun doing the "opera" , it was a way to get out of classes! Mrs Hoskins/Mr Kidd for PE, Mary Rodgers for RI, Mrs Sutherland - History, Mrs Pollock - Physics, Mrs Dunn - Chemistry, Mrs Mackay - English, Mr Black - Biology. Jimmy Miller was the Janitor and Jock Cowan his assistant.
That sounds like Mr Mclean (Malcolm) that you had for Maths! I remember we used to get Brucie when Ma Campbell was off and we used to think he was great - he would be asking you questions at the same time as he wrote the answers on the board!:grin:

obiron
04-Apr-06, 18:38
was thinking too about turbo t. mind when i mentioned her nickname to my ma she was in hysterics and cause she knew her well couldnt look her in the eye without a little laugh.

Ricco
04-Apr-06, 20:37
We were obviously there at the same time!
I had Mrs Holiday and Mr Young(not the rector) for French - one of these (don't want to say which) used to go into the cupboard for a quick smoke they didn't realise that the smoke would billow out the air vent in the door!
Mr (Alan) Campbell was the Geography teacher and I think most of the girls had a crush on him, he was indeed from Wick. If I remember right, he left to get married:confused Ma Campbell was my Maths teacher right through school. Miss Williamson for music - her father had the shoe shop next to Clarks. Mr Lafferty was the head Music teacher and we used to have great fun doing the "opera" , it was a way to get out of classes! Mrs Hoskins/Mr Kidd for PE, Mary Rodgers for RI, Mrs Sutherland - History, Mrs Pollock - Physics, Mrs Dunn - Chemistry, Mrs Mackay - English, Mr Black - Biology. Jimmy Miller was the Janitor and Jock Cowan his assistant.
That sounds like Mr Malcolm that you had for Maths! I remember we used to get Brucie when Ma Campbell was off and we used to think he was great - he would be asking you questions at the same time as he wrote the answers on the board!:grin:

Ah, Buttercup.

Thankyou for listing those along with their names. Some are coming back to me now. It must have been Mr Kidd for PE - I remember us being sent out to run around the pitch in the pouring rain - he never came out, of course. I think it was Mrs Holiday for French - got my face well and truely slapped in one of her lessons by the girl next to me! Brucie - would that be Mr Bruce - for Maths, Mrs Pollock sounds familiar, as does Mr Black. Also, I think I remember Jock as one of the caretakers.

emszxr
04-Apr-06, 20:45
you are all way before my time. mr black - biology is the only one i know as he was there forever

i can hardly remember any of my teachers. mr powell for english. gee i must try thinking of the others

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 21:15
How many of you can remember Old Tinribs as Head? Mr. Ironside used to live in Viewfirth before it became a club.

Buttercup
04-Apr-06, 21:19
How many of these do you remember? ~ Thurso High Staff of 67-68
Mr Fishbourne,Mr Kirkpatrick(art), Mr McArdle(art),Mr Wright,Mr McLean(maths),Mr Tait(english),Mr Auld,Mr Campbell(geography),Mr Gunn(science),Mr Mackay(maths),Mr Donn(Physics),Mr Young(french),Capt Manson(Navigation),Mr Black(biology),Mrs Edwards,Mrs Holliday(french),Miss Duncan(homecraft),Miss Bannerman(french),Miss Budge(maths),Mrs Sutherland(history),Mrs Sutherland(shorthand),Mrs Pollock(Physics),Mrs Dunn(chemistry),Miss Goldie,Mrs Clelland,Mrs Hoskins(PE), Mrs Gunn(english),Miss Rodgers(RI),Mrs Leonard,Mrs Adamson,Mrs Mackay(english),Mrs Sparling(homecraft),mrs Brown(homecraft),Mr Gibbons(physics),Mr Gilvrary(history),Mr Menzies(art),Mr Kidd(PE),Mr Bruce(maths),Mr Sutherland(Latin),Miss Ryrie(english),Mr Shurie,Mr Bell(chemistry),Miss Henderson(homecraft),Mr Weir(geography),Mr Lafferty(music), Mr Bakie, Dr Young(Rector).

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 21:25
Bill Shurie was an English teacher in my day. Never knew he taught chemistry.

footie chick
04-Apr-06, 21:26
[quote=bingo1
Hutchie half bot- english:o)[/quote]

Hutchie half bot was modern studies when I went to WH and his wife was music teacher.
Donnie Cod: maths
Mad Moore : Geography
Mad Scott: french

Buttercup
04-Apr-06, 21:29
Bill Shurie was an English teacher in my day. Never knew he taught chemistry.
If you're referring to my posting, I just missed out his subject - hence no brackets after his name.

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 22:38
If you're referring to my posting, I just missed out his subject - hence no brackets after his name.

Point taken. Gosh,he could wield the belt. Better than Menzies and Lafferty.

Buttercup
04-Apr-06, 22:45
Point taken. Gosh,he could wield the belt. Better than Menzies and Lafferty.
I never experienced that from him. Only once belted in High School by Ma Campbell for not doing Maths homework - believe it or not it was the only time I never did homework!
I seem to have been fortunate with my teachers and really had none of the "dreaded few", thank goodness.

brokencross
05-Apr-06, 07:35
Buttercup, many thanks for that list of teachers at THS. Ican still see their faces inmy mind's eye even after all this time.

Miss Bannerman used to run the after school drama group and I remember her putting on a few performances for the school. In fact if my memory serves me right she married Mr Tait (Lurch).

Mr Kirkpatrick used to take us for art; believe it or not he made me pose in football kit for the "O" level art class, a wee bit embarrassing eh what!?

bky
05-Apr-06, 15:47
anyone remember
kojak - george mackay - french
witchie - Mrs Holmes - history
alick holak - french

messers Main, McMillan (both maths) always behaved in their class

Ricco
05-Apr-06, 22:16
How many of these do you remember? ~ Thurso High Staff of 67-68
Mr Fishbourne,Mr Kirkpatrick(art), Mr McArdle(art),Mr Wright,Mr McLean(maths),Mr Tait(english),Mr Auld,Mr Campbell(geography),Mr Gunn(science),Mr Mackay(maths),Mr Donn(Physics),Mr Young(french),Capt Manson(Navigation),Mr Black(biology),Mrs Edwards,Mrs Holliday(french),Miss Duncan(homecraft),Miss Bannerman(french),Miss Budge(maths),Mrs Sutherland(history),Mrs Sutherland(shorthand),Mrs Pollock(Physics),Mrs Dunn(chemistry),Miss Goldie,Mrs Clelland,Mrs Hoskins(PE), Mrs Gunn(english),Miss Rodgers(RI),Mrs Leonard,Mrs Adamson,Mrs Mackay(english),Mrs Sparling(homecraft),mrs Brown(homecraft),Mr Gibbons(physics),Mr Gilvrary(history),Mr Menzies(art),Mr Kidd(PE),Mr Bruce(maths),Mr Sutherland(Latin),Miss Ryrie(english),Mr Shurie,Mr Bell(chemistry),Miss Henderson(homecraft),Mr Weir(geography),Mr Lafferty(music), Mr Bakie, Dr Young(Rector).

Hey - that was my Art teacher - Mr Menzies. Made me pose on top of one of the tables, holding a broom - I passed out! I was hopeless at Art and he first used to punish me 'cos he thought I was taking the proverbial. Eventually my tears of frustration got though and he tried me on abstracts - winner!

Sporran
06-Apr-06, 07:00
Buttercup, many thanks for that list of teachers at THS. Ican still see their faces inmy mind's eye even after all this time.

Miss Bannerman used to run the after school drama group and I remember her putting on a few performances for the school. In fact if my memory serves me right she married Mr Tait (Lurch).

Mr Kirkpatrick used to take us for art; believe it or not he made me pose in football kit for the "O" level art class, a wee bit embarrassing eh what!?

Miss Bannerman (Twiggy) taught me French in first year, and later on, I had elderly Miss Baird, who spoke French with a posh Kelvinside accent. Twiggy did indeed marry Mr Tait (Lurch), who was much taller and and much older than her! Mr Kirkpatrick was one of my Art teachers too, as well as Mr Menzies.

I had "Netta Duck" Ryrie for English, and also Granny Gunn, who forever imprinted Tam O'Shanter on my brain! Bill Shurie (Hop Along) was my favourite English teacher, though. He was distinguished and a great wit, and you couldn't help but have the utmost respect for him. None of the wind-up merchants in my class dared try anything with Mr Shurie, as he could easily flatten them with one of his comments or looks!

I was never lucky enough to have "Handsome Harry" Campbell as a Geography teacher, I'm afraid! Instead, I got stuck with "Goofy" Mr Weir! :roll:

Squeaky Dunn terrified me - she was a bit of an iron lady, really!

Anyway, folks, take a look that this 1949 photo, and you will spot a few familiar faces!

http://www.caithness.org/schooldays/milleracademy/1949staff/index.htm

Squares
06-Apr-06, 07:41
Mr Powell ..........English
Mrs Fitzpatrick....Cooking
Mrs Omand...English (she was lovely teacher)
Bat woman/wifie...........maths
Harded giver of the belt ................MR Brooks PE

Oh the good old days!

girnigoe
06-Apr-06, 13:22

I reckon the schools could use a few more like him nowadays

I seem to remember that Thunderguts was infact Mr Macdonald.

I had him as well and to start with even his look had me shaking in my shoes but by the time I got to sixth year he was lovely - if you didnt give him reason to shout at you he didnt!!

moncur
06-Apr-06, 14:00
This may be of some interest to a few of you,

http://www.ratemyteachers.co.uk/schools/scotland/thurso/thurso_high_school

The Angel Of Death
06-Apr-06, 14:13
To true his rep proceded him and i never had the urge to test him all all (in a feared for my life kinda way !!!)

cullbucket
07-Apr-06, 06:50
I guess my teachers were a wee bit later than most, ones that I've no seen yet....

Peegy Powell - English
Wild Hamish - Physics
Spongy - RE
Jessie Buck - Maths

Twinkle Toes - as for the hardest tweeger in the school, there were 2 that had the fearsomest reputation - Menzies and Brooks, although Mr Main was pretty good too. Maybe if someone got the strap from both of them they could put this argument to rest.

Squares
07-Apr-06, 07:34
Gina MacAllan..........French

John Harper...........Maths, he retired due to ill health

Mr MacMillian..........Maths (Legend)

Malcolm Clasper......Science

Mrs Emily Fraser...remedial...your class Cullbucket(joke)

Mr Mackay.... secretarial

Do you remember l in 73/74 the high school was closed, or we were on 2 day week due to something to do with the building(Asbestos, maybe )cant remember, we went to main hall and collected work for the week.

brokencross
07-Apr-06, 13:24
All these memories about school, have made me think back to those happy days.

Granny Gunn may have looked like a little old wifie who was past her sell by date, but really she was a smart cooky.

One Monday morning, the English class was supposed to hand in an essay. Naughty lad that I am (or should I say, was) I hadn't finished it, so when Granny Gunn came round collecting the exercise books, I gave the age old excuse of "I've forgotten it miss!" At the time she seemed to accept it so I was well chuffed, relaxed.....off the hook again!!

However half way through the lesson she caught me totally off guard and asked me in front of the whole class, "Your Mam doesn't work does she, and she will be at home, won't she?" As I say, being caught off guard and also being a thicky and not realising the purpose of the question I said "Yes, she's expecting visitors, so she will definitely be in!!"

As quick as anything she said "Well you have my permission to leave the class, go home now and get your homework, on ye go!"

Talk about panic, my Mam would be at home, I hadn't finished the homework, and didn't even have enough time to scribble the homework.

Eventually, all I did was get on my bike, ride about for about 15 minutes, reappear and say that when I got home that my Mam was out! Granny Gunn just gave me a knowing look, shook her head and walked away chuckling to herself. I think she could see the total fear in my face!!

My lesson was learnt, teachers are clever and will always catch you out and I always did my homework on time.