PDA

View Full Version : Somerfield Thurso

JimH
04-Apr-06, 12:06
Yet again we have travelled into Thurso to get Instore Baked Bread, only to be told that the Baker was on Holiday last week so none was ordered. None yesterday and the same tomorrow.
IF I could get it in the village I would.
I have spoken with headoffice to rattle a few cages, but roll on ASDA.

Squares
04-Apr-06, 16:22
Why do they need to order "instore baked bread" was it the ingredients they forgot to order if so why couldnt they take them of the shelf??
and surely someone could have ordered it even if the baker wasnt there??

jings00
04-Apr-06, 16:38
i think the stuff they use is ready made, it just needs fired in the oven to finish it off.

MadPict
04-Apr-06, 16:41
Err, bake your own?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/0,,1733868,00.html

RandomHero
04-Apr-06, 17:24
The bread is bought frozen, part baked. The baker puts it in the oven to finish it off. Believe me, not even ASDA will be able to get everything on shelves. And who do you think will be 'baking' in ASDA? Are they bringing a superhuman staff up with them? You can fill Caithness with as many supermarkets as you like but they wont be able to satisfy every customer 100%, because that is just life. We all have to deal with that.

RandomHero
04-Apr-06, 17:25
Yet again we have travelled into Thurso to get Instore Baked Bread, only to be told that the Baker was on Holiday last week so none was ordered. None yesterday and the same tomorrow.

And what type of bread was it that you wanted?

Squares
04-Apr-06, 17:28
I agree you cant please every single customer 100% but no bread in a bakery dept ????????????????? cause someone never ordered it..... come on!!

Jeid
04-Apr-06, 17:35
Is one question mark not sufficent? Putting a hundred in doesn't make your point come across any better.

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Apr-06, 17:40
I went to Asda on Sunday and the shelves were practically empty. It was pretty much the same the week previous. Asda isn't the Mary Poppins of supermarkets some would think it is.

RandomHero
04-Apr-06, 18:09
I agree you cant please every single customer 100% but no bread in a bakery dept ????????????????? cause someone never ordered it..... come on!!

no1 forgot to order anything, that is probably just a line from someone who is not heavily involved with the bakery.

Doleve
04-Apr-06, 19:45
If or when asda and or tesco arrive in Caithness who do you think will be working there? The same people who work in other supermakets now. When they advertise for management who in Caithness has the "right CV" to be considered for the job?...the current management of the local supermarkets! Especially as they will be looking for new jobs as their current workplaces days are numbered! Big changes ahead (for the better)? Im not so sure, other than loads of empty supermarket sized buildings!

Jeid
04-Apr-06, 20:03
I'm gonna be the manager! In reality, it'll be nationally advertised

JimH
04-Apr-06, 21:46
The point I was making has nothing to do with the Bread really - no more than the Caster Sugar or whatever else they have run out of that they normally hold.
The modern computerised systems are designed to avoid stock problems.
and when I said "roll on Asda" it could quite easily have been Tesco, Rainbow, M&S, or Mac's Mobile. Just someone who cares.

Squares
04-Apr-06, 21:57
Well said, I totally agree with your point. There was incompetance within the dept and within the store. Will a store like this survive when Asda and Tesco arrive in the county?

RandomHero
04-Apr-06, 22:44
I hate this "Lets shut things down to make way for bigger shops. Let's shut it down because it didn't have the type of cheese I like.". Problems don't go away by throwing money at them. You will be sorry when ASDA (or whoever!) arrives. Trust me, you will be.

Jeid
04-Apr-06, 23:23
They didn't have bread... big deal? It happens. It's not gonna stop me or anyone else for that matter, visiting the shop. In fact, I doubt it will stop you visiting. Shops run out of stock... warehouses run out of stock. Thats life, you should really learn to deal with it.

RandomHero
04-Apr-06, 23:27
They didn't have bread... big deal? It happens. It's not gonna stop me or anyone else for that matter visiting the shop. In fact, I doubt it will stop you visiting. Shops run out of stock... warehouses run out of stock. Thats life, you should really learn to deal with it.

Here, here! I'm with you on that one Jeid.

jay
05-Apr-06, 08:32
I think people should remember that the sommerfield stores and their staff are under stress as it is, these shops changed hands, with three owners in less than two years, sommerfield itself is run like a "corner shop" everywhere else in the country and all its other stores are much smaller physically than the two in caithness. No matter what the management and staff do locally they cannot overcome the convenience store ethos of their senior management, they are severely limited as to what stock they can order and cannot order anything that is not on the list provided to them by management in the south. I believe they are not allowed to recruit staff and everytime someone leaves, goes on holiday or is off sick, they are left undermanned, people no longer have assistants who can cover for them when they are off. The (very young) staff do the best they can, despite the attitude of many customers. They all know their jobs are under threat, in fact you will see in todays Courier that the Elgin store is to close. I have lost count of the amount of threads on this forum with people slagging of local stores, its all been said before - give them a break they can only work with what they've got - as for rattling cages at head office - did you even speak to the management in the store first to clarify the facts?

crashbandicoot1979
05-Apr-06, 10:51
I hate this "Lets shut things down to make way for bigger shops. Let's shut it down because it didn't have the type of cheese I like.". Problems don't go away by throwing money at them. You will be sorry when ASDA (or whoever!) arrives. Trust me, you will be.

I agree 100%

Tristan
05-Apr-06, 11:40
I think people should remember that the sommerfield stores and their staff are under stress as it is, these shops changed hands, with three owners in less than two years, sommerfield itself is run like a "corner shop" everywhere else in the country and all its other stores are much smaller physically than the two in caithness. No matter what the management and staff do locally they cannot overcome the convenience store ethos of their senior management, they are severely limited as to what stock they can order and cannot order anything that is not on the list provided to them by management in the south. I believe they are not allowed to recruit staff and everytime someone leaves, goes on holiday or is off sick, they are left undermanned, people no longer have assistants who can cover for them when they are off. The (very young) staff do the best they can, despite the attitude of many customers. They all know their jobs are under threat, in fact you will see in todays Courier that the Elgin store is to close. I have lost count of the amount of threads on this forum with people slagging of local stores, its all been said before - give them a break they can only work with what they've got - as for rattling cages at head office - did you even speak to the management in the store first to clarify the facts?

I am making no comment on the staff at Sommerfield here.
If what you are saying about how Sommerfield is managed from down south is correct,then Summerfield has no one to blame but itself if it closes
There was an earlier thread listing all the good shops in Caithness, those who offer good products at good prices and most importantly good customer service: Those shops will survive no matter who comes here.

RandomHero
05-Apr-06, 11:55
I am making no comment on the staff at Sommerfield here.
If what you are saying about how Sommerfield is managed from down south is correct,then Summerfield has no one to blame but itself if it closes
There was an earlier thread listing all the good shops in Caithness, those who offer good products at good prices and most importantly good customer service: Those shops will survive no matter who comes here.

U rekon? Smaller shops are closing already in Wick. When Tesco goes there, fails and closes, those shops will not have the capital to open up again.

JimH
05-Apr-06, 13:04
Yes I spoke to the appropriate staff at the local store, and I spoke to Head Office, and it seems to have had the desired effect.
As to some of the other posts on this matter, some I agree with and some I don't, But all of them are valid in the eyes of those that make them, and neither I or anybody else has any right to proclude them.
IF SOMERFIELD OR ANY OTHER STORE WISHES TO SURVIVE IN THE CURRENT CLIMATE _ THEY WILL HAVE TO LOOK AFTER THE CUSTOMERS _ THEY VOTE WITH THEIR PURSE OR WALLET.

jay
05-Apr-06, 13:51
I would say it's quite obvious that sommerfield realise their days are numbered up here, unfortuntely tho' when the time does come we are not going to be able vote with our purses because by then we will have no choice.

The other point I was making was that virtually every critisim of sommerfield has been made time and time again on many threads on this forum - most of these complaints are not made to the shop.

Give it a year - the same people will no doubt be making the same comments about asda/tesco

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Apr-06, 14:43
The prices in Tesco and Asda are cheap, affordable and within reach of even the most meagre customer's budget. But once Tesco and Asda price local businesses out of the market - and they will, eventually - their prices will shoot up quicker than you can say Templetons.

Murdina Bug
05-Apr-06, 14:47
Why didn't you go to any of the local bakers for fresh baked bread in Thurso instead? I know they may not have a great selection towards the end of the day as they are popular but early on they are pretty well stocked. Try Johnsons, Reids or Jamiesons. These are the small local shops that should be supported. Just try to resist the cakes when you go in!

crashbandicoot1979
05-Apr-06, 15:09
The prices in Tesco and Asda are cheap, affordable and within reach of even the most meagre customer's budget. But once Tesco and Asda price local businesses out of the market - and they will, eventually - their prices will shoot up quicker than you can say Templetons.

Very true.Wal-Mart (who own Asda) have a known strategy of deliberately pricing local businesses out of the market in America, then hacking the prices up once they've done so. I fail to understand how anyone can think that having an Asda in Caithness will be "healthy competition." The whole point of supermarkets is to out-price all competitors, thereby taking away the consumers freedom of choice because they can't shop anywhere else.

JimH
05-Apr-06, 16:21
Why didn't you go to any of the local bakers for fresh baked bread in Thurso instead? I know they may not have a great selection towards the end of the day as they are popular but early on they are pretty well stocked. Try Johnsons, Reids or Jamiesons. These are the small local shops that should be supported. Just try to resist the cakes when you go in!
Been there - Done that, but usually when we get about the choice is restricted, and unfortunately, we have to avoid the cakes.
We have moved about a bit with my job, and we have always tried to support local business, and here, like anywhere else, there is good and Don't care. The good ones WILL survive because their custom will support them. The others - I don't care either.

JUMPIG
07-Apr-06, 20:24
To the selected few who have stuck up for Somerfield, WELL DONE! You are obviously people who have better things to do with their time than complain about a loaf of bread! Just to clarify matters, there is no actual baker in Somerfield so he couldn't have been on holiday!

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 20:26
Somerfield know that their days are numbered why else would they be offering £5 off if you spend £30!! those vouchers are a waste of trees god could they not just take it off your shopping bill the next time you visit! Have to watch twice this week they've tried to charge extra for wine!!!!

JUMPIG
07-Apr-06, 20:43
Good point, however is it possible that you misread the offer details? The £5 off your next shopping bill is a marketing ploy adopted by many companies for loyalty purposes. The more you shop there the more benefits you get. Why is it that people think that they have to go "to the top" to make their complaint when there is a manager in every store who would happily deal with their complaint and probably give better service?

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 20:53
if you complained that you had been overcharge on an item wouldnt you expect them to sort it straight away! Not the case someone I know was overcharged last Friday this Friday I was overcharged on the same item how is that looking after their customers?

JUMPIG
07-Apr-06, 21:04
if you complained that you had been overcharge on an item wouldnt you expect them to sort it straight away! Not the case someone I know was overcharged last Friday this Friday I was overcharged on the same item how is that looking after their customers?

If you were undercharged last Friday would you have complained then?

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 21:15
too right I'm one o them that always knows if they've been overcharged!! look after the pennies and all that but I'm talkin pounds!

JUMPIG
07-Apr-06, 21:35
If you were undercharged last Friday would you have complained then?

Stop...rewind...I said UNDERcharged.

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 21:38
I have told them when they undercharged me ONCE! been overcharged more. sorry drinkin the wine they OVERcharged me so maybe not makin too much sense!!!

JUMPIG
07-Apr-06, 21:47
Hey don't worry about it - have scoffed a bottle of Co-Op's finest myself, hehe!:p

I know it's not the best when you get overcharged. Happened to me more often than I care to remember but you can't just pick on Somerfield - they are all as bad as eachother!

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 21:49
Yeah but they seem to be the worst at the moment

Sandra
08-Apr-06, 13:35
Has anyone noticed the price of the easter eggs on buy 3 for a price of £# 'offer' at Somerfields?

The 105g eggs are individually priced at something like £1.36 each and the offer is buy 3 for £3.

These same sized eggs are priced at 86p each in Woolworths!!!!

Just goes to show you have to watch out for these 'offers', as they may not be what they seem!

Tesco and Asda will be just the same mind.

concerned resident
08-Apr-06, 14:29
Went into Somerfield in Thurso today (Saturday) to get a Scot Ads paper for my son, they were on the stand in the entrance straight in front of me, colour blue which is the Saturday edition, green is the Wednesday edition.
As i lifted a copy out, as there were quite a few, i happened to notice the date 1-04-2006 and this was 11am on the 8-04-2006. I left this incompetent shop, and went to the small Coop at Spring Park where i got the Saturday Edition, I have complained to Somerfields before, you would be beter of talking to the wall.

wicker
08-Apr-06, 14:44
What a bunch of moaners, if you honestly think by these other shops coming its going to make a blind bit off difference i think your wrong. Stop letting pety wee things bother you if they dont have what you want its not going to kill you to goto another shop dear god would think it was end of world way people go on about it.

highlander
08-Apr-06, 14:53
I am going to give 100% full marks for customer services, last year we went into thurso to buy milk, when we got home the milk was not fresh, we went straight back into town, got another pinta, sat down cos now we are parched for a cuppa, OMG!! not again, so straight back to town, asked for the manager, he went to check the rest of the milk, gave me a litre of semi-skimmed instead, but before i left the shop, i said i want u to taste that milk before i go, lol he said how was he to do that? told him go and get them to make u a coffee with it, he had a good laugh about it, had a cup, but also gave me a free bottle of wine for all my trouble i had to go to. hows that for customer service!!!

Loafer
08-Apr-06, 15:02
I am going to give 100% full marks for customer services, last year we went into thurso to buy milk, when we got home the milk was not fresh, we went straight back into town, got another pinta, sat down cos now we are parched for a cuppa, OMG!! not again, so straight back to town, asked for the manager, he went to check the rest of the milk, gave me a litre of semi-skimmed instead, but before i left the shop, i said i want u to taste that milk before i go, lol he said how was he to do that? told him go and get them to make u a coffee with it, he had a good laugh about it, had a cup, but also gave me a free bottle of wine for all my trouble i had to go to. hows that for customer service!!!

Dearie Dear H, is that all it takes to make you happy, a laugh with the manager and a free bottle of wine??!! lol

Don't you think the milk shouldn't have been off TWICE??

I'd have been tempted to tip the milk over his head!!

The place is a DUMP!!

The Loafer (laughing his head off)

RandomHero
08-Apr-06, 15:32
I wish we were all as perfect as you lot. Complain, complain, complain. That's all you do. What is it about milk and bread that turns pleasent people into moaners. We all have problems in shops, somerfield,co-op,lidls and dare I say it - ASDA. I'm going to laugh so much when you start complaining about the 'service' in ASDA when it comes. There will never be (and never has) benn a PERFECT shop. We all have to deal with it, so you can too.

golach
08-Apr-06, 15:38
I wish we were all as perfect as you lot. Complain, complain, complain. That's all you do. What is it about milk and bread that turns pleasent people into moaners. We all have problems in shops, somerfield,co-op,lidls and dare I say it - ASDA. I'm going to laugh so much when you start complaining about the 'service' in ASDA when it comes. There will never be (and never has) benn a PERFECT shop. We all have to deal with it, so you can too.
I have worked for Asda, only for a short time and the complaints queue was the largest queue in the shop, so Random Hero Im with you, you pay peanuts you get monkeys working for you, Asda pay just above the minimum wage, by pennies, Sainsburys pay better, yes I have been there too

RandomHero
08-Apr-06, 16:21
Good to have you by my side, Golach.

highlander
08-Apr-06, 16:36
Now now loafer, it does not pay to be aggressive, the fridges had broken down, unless hes told, how else is he to know, im sure no supermarket would mean to put soor milk out lol and how many others bought milk that day and did not bother to go back, some might have even come on to chat rooms to complain about it. So aye im a happy bunnie with my free milk and my glass of wine "cheers"

Loafer
08-Apr-06, 18:11
H, come on, you know me better than that. Moi? Aggressive? Never!!

Just a wee bit of banter! I just canna be doing with that shop!! Just the best of a bad lot.

The two of us went through to the Wick Co-op today and had the pleasant experiance of the "wifie on the till" actually having a conversation with us!!!

Never happens in Thurso!!!

The Loafer

reeboksusie
08-Apr-06, 22:47
Hello to you all,
I work at the above shop and if this is all you can complain about, God help us all. I can understand why people are not happy, but just stop and think about it, people who work on the shop floor give some of the best customer care i know. Some of the staff have been working there a long time and give alot of time to the customers, the young ones also do .You will not get that sort of service down the line. If you think you would, go and try it, you will soon be back.
Or go to another supermarket (won't say who for fear of demoralising the staff there) and waste 3 hours of your lives in a 4 person queue or even better go and try and put the lottery on - another 2 hour wait! Use a trolley which has just cost you a pound (at Somerfield we have two lads to go and collect them for you in all weathers) and to say its a dump... What's all that about??
The staff at Somerfield don't know from one week to another who we will be working for. Criticism is good, it's a way of improving standards and at the end of the day we all want to live in a world which is easier for everyone!
WE are all doing our best, its good to complain just do it in the right way - just ask for the manager or a supervisor, we are there to help, just slating us on here will not improve standards and can demoralise staff who in the majority do care about their stores' reputation and their customers.
Life is good so enjoy!
PS This is not reeboksusie that is my wife, if you want to reply to this thread send it to TROTTERMAN

EDDIE
08-Apr-06, 22:59
Your making a big deal over nothing all you have to do is go to another shop to get bread its as simple as that.

obiron
08-Apr-06, 23:02
very true eddie. its a bit odd phoning up the head office to complain about no bread but some people like to do that.

JimH
09-Apr-06, 01:01
Your making a big deal over nothing all you have to do is go to another shop to get bread its as simple as that.
Your absolutely right, and I agree with you. But as I have said before, the bread is not the point. This applies to anything.
If you provide a service, people will try to use it, and some will come to rely on it. In Caithness you travel distance for what you have come to rely on. If you are let down - the journey is wasted, and you have to make other arrangements. Depending on the time of day - it is not always easy.
People have better things to do, and these days little money to waste on unnecessary journeys.
WE are ok - we are still active - but those not so lucky will be affected on their weekly jaunt.
The original post was to invoke comment - IT DID THAT.

Loafer
09-Apr-06, 20:32
Hello to you all,
I work at the above shop and if this is all you can complain about, God help us all. I can understand why people are not happy, but just stop and think about it, people who work on the shop floor give some of the best customer care i know. Some of the staff have been working there a long time and give alot of time to the customers, the young ones also do .You will not get that sort of service down the line. If you think you would, go and try it, you will soon be back.
Or go to another supermarket (won't say who for fear of demoralising the staff there) and waste 3 hours of your lives in a 4 person queue or even better go and try and put the lottery on - another 2 hour wait! Use a trolley which has just cost you a pound (at Somerfield we have two lads to go and collect them for you in all weathers) and to say its a dump... What's all that about??
The staff at Somerfield don't know from one week to another who we will be working for. Criticism is good, it's a way of improving standards and at the end of the day we all want to live in a world which is easier for everyone!
WE are all doing our best, its good to complain just do it in the right way - just ask for the manager or a supervisor, we are there to help, just slating us on here will not improve standards and can demoralise staff who in the majority do care about their stores' reputation and their customers.
Life is good so enjoy!
PS This is not reeboksusie that is my wife, if you want to reply to this thread send it to TROTTERMAN

Trotterman

You say about customer service? WHAT customer service? The staff in there must be the LEAST customer friendly I have ever come across. I have tried on many occasions to make polite conversation with the staff to merely get a grunt back!! The youngsters are definately the worst, and MAY have the smallest of excuses due to their inexperience, but the older staff are no better!
You go on that it COSTS a pound for a trolley at other supermarkets. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that pound get refunded when you take the trolley back?? I don't grudge have to pay NOTHING for a trolley!!

As for customer service "down the line". I was recently in an Asda and a Morrisons in Yorkshire. They couldn't do enough for you and were most pleasant and made conversation. If it were a bit nearer, I would "soon be back" to either of these shops if I had the chance. Maybe by the end of this year, with a bit of luck, I will be able to shop in an Asda store.

I know that you have been through the mill with changes in employers and you do have my sympathy on that score. But, at the end of the day, you are there to provide a service to customers that are spending their hard earned cash. They will simply vote with their feet if a quality store is introduced.

The Loafer

dragonfly
09-Apr-06, 23:17
well said Loafer! I agree with a lot of your comments. too many times now I have shopped there in the evenings and the staff are far more interested in yapping with each other than serving customers. It seems to be teenagers supervising teenagers!

JimH
10-Apr-06, 09:25
Trotterman

You say about customer service? WHAT customer service? The staff in there must be the LEAST customer friendly I have ever come across. I have tried on many occasions to make polite conversation with the staff to merely get a grunt back!! The youngsters are definately the worst, and MAY have the smallest of excuses due to their inexperience, but the older staff are no better!
You go on that it COSTS a pound for a trolley at other supermarkets. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that pound get refunded when you take the trolley back?? I don't grudge have to pay NOTHING for a trolley!!

As for customer service "down the line". I was recently in an Asda and a Morrisons in Yorkshire. They couldn't do enough for you and were most pleasant and made conversation. If it were a bit nearer, I would "soon be back" to either of these shops if I had the chance. Maybe by the end of this year, with a bit of luck, I will be able to shop in an Asda store.

I know that you have been through the mill with changes in employers and you do have my sympathy on that score. But, at the end of the day, you are there to provide a service to customers that are spending their hard earned cash. They will simply vote with their feet if a quality store is introduced.

The Loafer
I have to agree with you about Other stores - We called into Tesco's Extra(Inverness) on our way back from Englandshire, and had a good old chuckle with the YOUNG girl on the checkout. I hate shopping, but this young lady took the sting out of it. She apperently had her Twin Sister working along the line as well.

golach
10-Apr-06, 09:38
Good to have you by my side, Golach.

Oh no RandomHero, you have done it now, you will have to disassociate yourself from me as quickly as you can, or you will be condemed of being Unenlightened, Cleekish, and what ever other pigeonholes I have been stuck in

COACHMAN
10-Apr-06, 18:02
Sommerfield closed there shop in elgin last week,so is it caithness shops next if we get asda ?