PDA

View Full Version : Wick High Prom

ashaw1
11-Sep-09, 15:39
I believe that the prom held at Wick High is only a couple of days before christmas this year! This is crazy as the cost of dressing children for this event is huge, girls especially! It's not just the dress, it's the hair, make-up, spray tan, shoes, accessories etc. I thought that this event would have been rescheduled by now, as if christmas isn't expensive enough these days!

I personally know that some of the girls are refusing to go this year because of the financial pressure it would put on their parents so close to christmas. Just wondered if it was about time the school were asked to change the date of their annual prom?

rfr10
11-Sep-09, 15:58
I don't see what difference it makes if it was a few days before Christmas or a couple of weeks before Christmas??? :Razz It's not as though there is another pay day in the same month...

WickWitch
11-Sep-09, 15:59
I'm surprised that they don't hold it in the summer after all the exams. A much nicer time to dress up.

pat
11-Sep-09, 16:07
Would it not more in line for the youngsters to turn up in casual dress and make their own statement to the school/parents/friends?

The school is not responsible for the amount the youngsters or their parents deem "ok" to spend on school prom "Necessities" - perhaps the parents and youngsters should get a grip and reign in their "wants" to "essentials only".

This is peer/parent pressure/bullying at its worst.

Time they went back to the school dance - why copy USA?

redeyedtreefrog
11-Sep-09, 16:56
This year the last day of term before Xmas is the 23rd!

Venture
11-Sep-09, 18:03
I believe that the prom held at Wick High is only a couple of days before christmas this year! This is crazy as the cost of dressing children for this event is huge, girls especially! It's not just the dress, it's the hair, make-up, spray tan, shoes, accessories etc. I thought that this event would have been rescheduled by now, as if christmas isn't expensive enough these days!

I personally know that some of the girls are refusing to go this year because of the financial pressure it would put on their parents so close to christmas. Just wondered if it was about time the school were asked to change the date of their annual prom?

I think you will find that the reason the Prom is held at the end of term before Christmas, is because it is the best time of year as far as the timetable for the school is concerned. The rest of the year is filled with exams, study leave, trips abroad, school excursions and sports tournaments etc. Anyway, Christmas time is party time.

The pupils all know that it is going to be held in December, usually on the last Thursday before term ends, so they have plenty time to arrange outfits etc. or save up their money for the big day. How much is spent, is up to the individual. The school has no control over how much money parents will spend on their child, and staff do feel that far too much is being spent by parents just for one night.

Girls in particular are spending hundreds of pounds on a dress, everyone striving to have the best one. I'm afraid girls will be girls and there's nothing much can be done about that, even by parents. Thank goodness mine is a boy and all he needs is a kilt.:lol:;)

annemarie482
11-Sep-09, 18:29

im 24 year old, and as a girl who attended the prom i dont think its too close to xmas at all. its supposed to be an end of year event for senior pupils.
i and many of my friends worked from the age of 14 and paid for my own ticket and all essentials.
and lets face it....we all know when it is every year so they've had a year to save!

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-09, 18:53
No matter what time of year this event is held there will always be the few who try to out do each other. I know of a lot of girls who already have their dresses just like Christmas you know its coming and you can save all year for it to lessen the pain of the cost. :)

I managed to my oldest out to the prom one year for less than forty pounds that was good enough.The next year I borrowed a dress even cheaper. ;)

rainbow
12-Sep-09, 08:36
The school years are supposed to be some of the best days of a persons life, with memories they will treasure for years to come. What is wrong with the prom? And as for the expense it is up to the individual. You can get dresses cheap off ebay - my daughter had a lovely one last year off ebay. Yes this year is her last year and she wants to trawl round the shops for a 'special' dress, which will be annoying, but for the last 2 years she has not had an expensive dress - £40 each year - you would pay that for a pair of jeans and a top anyway. She gets her hair done, but doesn't bother with nails and make up as in her opinion she can do them better herself and feels alot happier doing it herself. She has loads of shoes already that she can use as well as a collection of bags and jewellery that she has built up over the years. For people to say it costs a fortune as they need dress, hair, makeup, tiaras, stretch limos, meals out, etc etc etc, then that is them being overdramatic and this is what gives the prom a bad name in terms of money spent. Set a price limit for your children - to give them everything they want and to go OTT is making a rod for your own back. If you spoil them rotten they will expect it for ever and a day. Be reasonable - you don't need to be overextravagant!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 08:39
aye i went to the prom in wick (im 26) and it was fab ...... i managed to get the last dress i wore from Monsoons end of Season end of stock sale for 17.50...... doesn't have to be manic.

Not EVERYONE needs a fake tan .....by prom age surely we should know a bit more about priorities on spending 30 or 300 on a dress???

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Sep-09, 08:41
and ps...... i went to prom in 6th year at a private school in aberdeen in a 30 quid top shop dress that i got HEAPS of use for after ......so it's not all about the money..........

guitarzan
12-Sep-09, 09:34
...exactly.

It's all about how drunk you can get without getting caught and chucked out by the teachers :p