PDA

View Full Version : US healthcare

Tom Cornwall
11-Sep-09, 14:19
what's all the hastle in the US just now..what's wrong with helping people get free healthcare if they can't afford private health insurance..perhaps I'm being a bit simple...is it worry that the private insurance companies will be in bother.. or what

Bobinovich
11-Sep-09, 14:44
There was a sizeable debate (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=83286) about it here short ago :D

ciderally
11-Sep-09, 15:25
its the poor that cant afford med insurance that will benifit from the new proposals....but then they dont count

bettedaviseyes
11-Sep-09, 15:27
did we not have a debate about this couple of weeks ago....

tonkatojo
11-Sep-09, 15:49

Aye we did, I gave up. LOL :(

teddybear1873
11-Sep-09, 16:15
As myself and my wife are self employed, we pay an arm and a leg for healthcare. Our next door neighbour is employed by quite a big company and only pays $40 per month, and that covers his whole family.

We pay around $230 per month and thats an 80/20. It's a bloody outrage. Healthcare was certainly an eye opener for me when I came over to the United States And America (Borat saying). All kinds of insurance's is way too expensive here. I was certainly better of in the UK.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-09, 16:53
Aye we did, I gave up. LOL :(

I was happy to keep on debating. :D

tonkatojo
11-Sep-09, 17:15
I was happy to keep on debating. :D

Not biting. LOL. ;)

redeyedtreefrog
11-Sep-09, 18:08
It's because they don't want the Proles to get medical care.

Kodiak
11-Sep-09, 18:12
Too many Big Medical Insurance companies are making a fortune in the USA and they do not want a health service as it would eat inti their profits. It is a case of that dirty word, "Money".

Rheghead
11-Sep-09, 18:30
Too many Big Medical Insurance companies are making a fortune in the USA and they do not want a health service as it would eat inti their profits. It is a case of that dirty word, "Money".

Yeah agreed and I am staggered to see that some of the people who would benefit most are actually the ones most taken in by all those insurance company's propaganda.

teddybear1873
11-Sep-09, 18:33

Example...One steroid injection. Cost the OH $1500.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-09, 18:46
Not biting. LOL. ;)

Awwww go on you know you want to bite, bite, :Razz it made a good debate. :D

tonkatojo
11-Sep-09, 19:43
Awwww go on you know you want to bite, bite, :Razz it made a good debate. :D

Naaah Iv'e got a headache (remember that excuse). LOL

Cattach
11-Sep-09, 20:42

No reason not to have another debate. Things have moved on since last time. Anyway anyone who does not want to take part can move on and let those that do have their say. No censorship required on this issue.

Alice in Blunderland
12-Sep-09, 07:57
Naaah Iv'e got a headache (remember that excuse). LOL

Painkillers are a wonderful thing free on prescription but oops you have to pay for them if you have a little more money..................... ;) another debate there me thinks. :lol:

Hope your headache has cleared up :cool:

tonkatojo
12-Sep-09, 10:51
Painkillers are a wonderful thing free on prescription but oops you have to pay for them if you have a little more money..................... ;) another debate there me thinks. :lol:

Hope your headache has cleared up :cool:

I can see this heed ache lasting a while. LOL

David Banks
12-Sep-09, 12:29
As myself and my wife are self employed, we pay an arm and a leg for healthcare. Our next door neighbour is employed by quite a big company and only pays $40 per month, and that covers his whole family.

We pay around $230 per month and thats an 80/20. It's a bloody outrage. Healthcare was certainly an eye opener for me when I came over to the United States And America (Borat saying). All kinds of insurance's is way too expensive here. I was certainly better of in the UK.

This corresponds with the view of the US's situation as seen here in Canada.
There are apparently 50+ million in the US without health insurance.
Having worked for US corporation, I've heard what a significant part of any job offer in the US is devoted to health care coverage.
Those with coverage fear losing it with any job change.
Insurance coverage can be changed by the company under several 'excuses.'
Of the industrialised western nations, the US pays the most per capita for health care - with major flaws as above.
'Good luck' to Obama - I think he'll get it fixed.

Alice in Blunderland
12-Sep-09, 19:31
I can see this heed ache lasting a while. LOL

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/pics/products/1804/2/Anadin_Paracetamol_Tablets_16x.jpg

Hope this helps you. :D

Sporran
12-Sep-09, 20:47

Your neighbour is getting an excellent deal! I do know that insurance premiums differ from state to state. We're paying a lot more than you and your wife, teddybear1873, and that's after my husband's employer has already paid most of the premium. Like yours, our insurance plan pays 80% of covered medical costs, while we pay the remaining 20%. We still have to pay a deductible every year, which has to be met before the insurance company pays anything.

Once our elder son was no longer eligible for coverage under our family plan, he was paying $170 a month for his own individual health insurance, and that didn't include dental. This rate was for a healthy young individual in his early twenties. If he'd had any chronic health problems, he would have been paying more! He didn't have health or dental insurance through his employer, because he was working less than 40 hours a week. He couldn't work 40 hours a week because he was also going to college during the day. His job only paid $7.50 an hour before tax, so the $170 hurt his wallet! Yet he still had a higher deductible to meet, and had to pay a higher portion of his prescription charges than us.

tonkatojo
13-Sep-09, 09:33
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/pics/products/1804/2/Anadin_Paracetamol_Tablets_16x.jpg

Hope this helps you. :D

I can't take paracetamol or ibuprofen. :(