PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Cage

ks
10-Sep-09, 11:57
Looking for recommendations for a hamster cage, I have been looking at rotastak ones but not sure if they are better than the wire cages.

Thanks

neepnipper
10-Sep-09, 21:23
Why don't you pop on to Pets at Home and they can advise you on the different types of cages available and which ones are suitable for your type of hamster.

Andy
11-Sep-09, 16:29
would recommend a wire one and if it has corners rather than being round as some of them are now, that's better because they like to make their beds in corners.

unicorn
11-Sep-09, 17:42
I prefer wire as easier cleaned. I had rotastack type for my last hamster and he was one who peed in the tubes etc and it was a nightmare to clean and keep sweet smelling but it depends on hamster I suppose.

spaceddaisy
11-Sep-09, 20:36
Avoid the plastic cages. Hamsters chew their way out of them, the tubes are a nightmare to keep clean, they're more expensive and there isn't enough ventilation in them. Only downside of the wire one is that hamsters try to dig and inevitably kick out sawdust.

Allsorts
11-Sep-09, 21:29
Our hamster has a rotastack one and the kids love it and we have had no problems at all with it. Kids loving being able to change the design, hamster loves the tubes, tunnels etc and we have no problem with cleaning it - lucky our hamster has never done the loo in anything but one corner on the bottom layer. Cat proof as well.

We also have a wire rectangle one and the hamster does like hanging about on that one, swinging on the lid which he can't do in a rotastack one, he also use to love jumping about from wire to wire in that one.

So in our house it would be personal choice.

Kathy@watten
12-Sep-09, 17:44
We have had both and kept them fragrant by toilet training our hammys to pee in a jam jar, they are clean habit creatures and can be easily trained to use the jar by putting a little peed sawdust in a jar and then all you need do is clean the jar every day and voila a non smelly hammy! We loved the rota stack system and had miles of tubes and housies and this provided evening entertainment for us watching the hammys doing their dinger.

ks
13-Sep-09, 09:51
Thanks for all the replies, haven't decided yet which one to get, will have another look in Pets at Home today.

We have had both and kept them fragrant by toilet training our hammys to pee in a jam jar, they are clean habit creatures and can be easily trained to use the jar by putting a little peed sawdust in a jar and then all you need do is clean the jar every day and voila a non smelly hammy! We loved the rota stack system and had miles of tubes and housies and this provided evening entertainment for us watching the hammys doing their dinger.

Whatever cage we get will definately try this! Thanks for the advice.