PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck to Rheghead ! Not long now.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Sep-09, 07:18
Good Luck to Rheghead who is about to embark on his cycle ride from Landsend to John o Groats in October.

I was just wondering with a little help from fellow orger's if we could make his sponsor sheet look a little more healthy.This is an extremely good cause which he is cycling for. :)

I was having a wee peek and thinking it would be nice to see a few more names on your form. :cool:

The very best of luck to you and if you need a cup of tea be sure to stop at my house on the way past.

Oh and if your a little saddle sore there may be some ointment lying around but you'll have to rub it on yerself. ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/RussHayley/

Rheghead
11-Sep-09, 18:20
Thank you for posting this. I am already over-whelmed by the generosity of my fellow orgers! Very humbling indeed.:D My job is to keep training until I make the first epic journey, that is from Thurso the most northerly station to the most southerly, Penzance.:)

A big thank you to everyone!

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-09, 18:55
I hope you have good weather if not...........................oopsie as my youngest would say. :lol:

Rheghead
11-Sep-09, 22:55
Well its a total lottery with what a long-distance cyclist gets so I take the Que sera(sp) approach. Still, I want to sacrifice 50 bulls everyday in honor of Helios in the vain hope of kindly airs.:Razz

Whitewater
12-Sep-09, 00:01
Hope the weather is kind to you, when Chris Hoy and his team from Azda arrived in Wick last week it was terrible, they didn't want to leave the cafe for the last section, but they did.

Bazeye
12-Sep-09, 01:28
Have you set yourself a time limit? If not just take your time and your tent Make sure you dont set off the same time as the Causewaymire boy racer time trials though. Enjoy.

joxville
12-Sep-09, 09:51
Can you give us details of what's inolved Rheghead? Do you have a support crew, will you be keeping us updated on your progress etc?

JustMe
13-Sep-09, 09:34
Can you give us details of what's inolved Rheghead? Do you have a support crew, will you be keeping us updated on your progress etc?

Likewise, more details please:)

Alice in Blunderland
13-Sep-09, 16:40

Hey Jox you planning to go stand beside the road with your pom poms and mini skirt shouting go Rheggers go..............:eek: :Razz

joxville
13-Sep-09, 16:42
Hey Jox you planning to go stand beside the road with your pom poms and mini skirt shouting go Rheggers go..............:eek: :Razz

Of course. But I'll make sure I wear boxer shorts that day, we don't want any wardrobe malfucntions that day, do we??? [lol]

Alice in Blunderland
13-Sep-09, 16:45
Of course. But I'll make sure I wear boxer shorts that day, we don't want any wardrobe malfucntions that day, do we??? [lol]

Spoilsport................. ;)

or chicken...................:Razz

Vistravi
13-Sep-09, 18:49
Spoilsport.................

or chicken...................

Chicken i think ;)[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
13-Sep-09, 19:34
Chicken i think ;)[lol]

Yes I agree.................. :Razz

Rheghead
13-Sep-09, 19:47
At the end of this month I get the train down to Penzance. I'm taking all my camping gear with me in panniers. I hope to camp most of the time with the occasional YHA stop to dry out if need be.

I'm hoping to do it in about 14 to 16 days by the route I'm taking which actually goes to Mousehole which I've always wanted to visit. About 60-70 miles per day. :D

joxville
13-Sep-09, 20:42
At the end of this month I get the train down to Penzance. I'm taking all my camping gear with me in panniers. I hope to camp most of the time with the occasional YHA stop to dry out if need be.

I'm hoping to do it in about 14 to 16 days by the route I'm taking which actually goes to Mousehole which I've always wanted to visit. About 60-70 miles per day. :D

What is the closest you'll get to Berkshire/Hampshire?

I'll need to check what holidays I have left, I fancy a day in Penzance. :)

Martin England
13-Sep-09, 21:08
Good luck, hope you have a great trip :)PM sent

Martin

Alice in Blunderland
16-Sep-09, 20:22
Getting closer. I hope your total climbs a bit more yet. :D

dragonfly
16-Sep-09, 20:49
good luck, I just donated and published it on my facebook page so hopefully some others will donate too

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-09, 21:17
I see the total is slowly creeping up. Getting there. :)

Moira
17-Sep-09, 22:37
It is indeed Alice.

More pedal to Rheghead's metal or is it the other way round? :confused

Keep up with the training!

Tinkerbell09
18-Sep-09, 12:13
Good Luck!
Have a safe journey :)

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 21:35
Well, all my gear is packed for tomorrow, my panniers are full t'gunwhales and the bicycle rides like a Chieftain tank but I'm still determined. My OH has agreed to relay messages about my progress and the odd photo for the Org.:lol:

The real grind will be cycling 10 miles to Land's End only to come back the way and going back home from JoG.:roll:

See you all in 2 weeks hopefully. Please pray for southerly winds....

Tubthumper
28-Sep-09, 21:41
Good luck, and may a fair wind caress your buttocks all the way...

ywindythesecond
28-Sep-09, 21:42
Well, all my gear is packed for tomorrow, my panniers are full t'gunwhales and the bicycle rides like a Chieftain tank but I'm still determined. My OH has agreed to relay messages about my progress and the odd photo for the Org.:lol:

The real grind will be cycling 10 miles to Land's End only to come back the way and going back home from JoG.:roll:

I pray fervently for northerly winds all the way, I hope it is really tough, and you have to earn every penny through sweat and pain,and when you arrive back in Caithness you will be so distressed that you will not be able to Org for at least a month, and I hope you will raise lots of money.
ywy2

Moira
28-Sep-09, 22:55
You don't really mean that Ywindythesecond, do you, truly?

If you do I hope the wind changes when Rheghead is safely on the train south and that your tongue is stuck in your cheek................

Forever ;)

Moira
28-Sep-09, 23:04

All best wishes for your trip Rheggers and if, at any point you feel like giving up, remember - THE ORG IS WITH YOU!

Keep determined and you will be fine - have a happy and safe journey there and back.

I'm looking forward to your OH's reports already. :D

Liz
28-Sep-09, 23:23
Wishing you all the best Rheghead and, unlike someone we won't mention:D, I hope you get a back wind all the way.

The power of the Org is with you!

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 23:45
If anyone is interested here is the route.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/Rhegheadlejog.jpg

I'm looking fwd to the Spittal of Glenshee to Braemar bit especially.

Moira
28-Sep-09, 23:58
What! You're avoiding the A9 and then the A99!!

Alice and I were all prepared to deal with your blisters You'll be doing a victory circuit of Caithness though and we will catch up with you then. ;)

Whitewater
29-Sep-09, 00:01
A bit surprised at your route, coming up through the centre of Sutherland and along the north coast on you final approach, it will certainly be scenic and probably much safer as well.

Good luck, and as Liz has said the power of the org is with you.

Alice in Blunderland
29-Sep-09, 06:53
Oh youre not passing Alices house hmmmph Im going to be so disappointed.

Here was me thinking ooohhhhh tight lycra. :lol: ;)

Good luck.

scorrie
29-Sep-09, 15:58
Rheghead only got into this gig because he heard there was a woman taking part. An image appeared in his head:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/female-cyclist-drinking_u10727927.jpg

Pow!! He was totally hooked!!

Wait until he sees the reality:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/cyclist.jpg

Blimey!!

Good luck Rheghead.

Margaret M.
29-Sep-09, 17:01
GO RHEGGERS!! I'm exhausted just looking at your route. I wish you had a tracking system, just like the tagged ospreys, so we could keep up with you on Google Earth. We'll be cheering you on!

Moira
01-Oct-09, 20:59
Oh youre not passing Alices house hmmmph Im going to be so disappointed.
Here was me thinking ooohhhhh tight lycra.
Good luck.
Rheggers may change his mind Alice so I'm keeping the balm handy. ;)

GO RHEGGERS!! I'm exhausted just looking at your route. I wish you had a tracking system, just like the tagged ospreys, so we could keep up with you on Google Earth. We'll be cheering you on!

Me too, Margaret M. I wish I'd thought about tracking device before now.

Moira
01-Oct-09, 21:11
What is the closest you'll get to Berkshire/Hampshire?

I'll need to check what holidays I have left, I fancy a day in Penzance. :)

Did you manage the latter joxville?

If not, please keep us up to date with the former. Thanks. :D

joxville
01-Oct-09, 21:33
Did you manage the latter joxville?

If not, please keep us up to date with the former. Thanks. :D

I wasn't able to get the day off however Rheggers will be passing the severn bridge area so I'm hoping to catch sight of him there. He expects to cover 50 miles per day so Sunday should be the day he's at the Severn Bridge.

Moira
01-Oct-09, 21:41
Thanks for that joxville, Sunday it is. Remember to have your camera at the ready. :)

I guess it was impatient of me to expect any kind of progress report at this stage - Rhegger's OH is probably still enjoying the peace...... ;)

joxville
03-Oct-09, 00:18
Does anyone on here know Rheghead personally that could pass on my phone number? I'll pm you my number then Rheggers can let me know when he expects to be at Severn Bridge area.

Kevin Milkins
03-Oct-09, 00:31
I wasn't able to get the day off however Rheggers will be passing the severn bridge area so I'm hoping to catch sight of him there. He expects to cover 50 miles per day so Sunday should be the day he's at the Severn Bridge.

I think both Severn Bridge crossings have web-cams on them, so if we get an e.t.a we can tune in and give him a wave.:Razz

Good luck Rheggers, and don't forget my pint of Bank's mild.;)

canuck
03-Oct-09, 14:04
Rhegs, ride well in this hoolie of a wind.

joxville
03-Oct-09, 16:54
Thanks Moira and Canuck in helping get me Rheghead's phone number. I've been in touch with his wife and got his mobile number so shall give an update on his whereabouts once I've spoken to him.

Bobbyian
03-Oct-09, 19:54
Gee Rhegers been away for a while wish all the best on this super trip hope no repairs are needed and don`t forget do not ride faster than your guardian angel ....

trinkie
04-Oct-09, 08:08
Just after 8am on Sunday 4th October. The Severn Road Bridge looks good under an autumn sky. A few wispy clouds float above but the sun is trying to shine through to welcome our Cycling Hero !
The roads are dry and the air is crisp. Now we wait.

Carry on Pedalling Rheghead

Trinkie

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-09, 09:37
Just after 8am on Sunday 4th October. The Severn Road Bridge looks good under an autumn sky. A few wispy clouds float above but the sun is trying to shine through to welcome our Cycling Hero !
The roads are dry and the air is crisp. Now we wait.

Carry on Pedalling Rheghead

Trinkie

Is it the old bridge to Chepstow that he will be coming over?

Has anyone a link to the web-cam?

trinkie
04-Oct-09, 10:21
Hi Kevin,

It will be the Old Bridge - there is no footpath on the New Bridge.

The sun is shining brightly and it promises to be a glorious day.

Trinkie

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-09, 10:36
Hi Kevin,

Trinkie

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but don't seem to be able to get on any web cams for this morning.:confused

Any techies about this morning that can post a link for the M48 crossing please.

Moira
04-Oct-09, 10:43
I'm no techie Kevin but found this courtesy of Mr Google :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/travel/trafficcams/camera069.shtml

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-09, 10:55
I'm no techie Kevin but found this courtesy of Mr Google :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/travel/trafficcams/camera069.shtml

Thanks for that Moira, but that's the one I found and it updates every five minutes.:confused

I was hoping there is one that you can watch a live stream on. I remember a while ago watching live, the traffic going over the bridge,but can't remember how I did it.

joxville
04-Oct-09, 13:13
Rheghead called me a few minutes ago, he's about 10 miles south of Bridgewater. It's been harder than expected cycling through a hilly region and now expects to be at Severn Bridge tomorrow afternoon.

Alice in Blunderland
04-Oct-09, 13:20
Is any one interested in going to meet Rheghead at any point on the route. :)

What about when he finishes is there anything organised for him............ you know how we all love a get together. :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
04-Oct-09, 13:25
Any one not donated yet who wants to please do see if we can get his total a little bit more for such a worthwhile cause.:)

joxville
04-Oct-09, 13:53
Hi Kevin,

Trinkie

Is there somewhere close by that I can park up, either end of the bridge will do?

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-09, 15:04
Is there somewhere close by that I can park up, either end of the bridge will do?

There is a service station at your end of the bridge Jox.

joxville
04-Oct-09, 17:04
Thanks Kevin, is there a pathway leading to the bridge?

Latest from Rheggers

He's now at Cheddar Campsite for the night.

canuck
04-Oct-09, 17:21
Is any one interested in going to meet Rheghead at any point on the route. :)

:lol:

I'm happy to be part of a meeting in (or near) Edinburgh.

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-09, 19:30
Thanks Kevin, is there a pathway leading to the bridge?

Latest from Rheggers

He's now at Cheddar Campsite for the night.

Not sure about a footpath, but it is very close to the bridge and you can also walk over the the bridge, so I would guess there is a foot path that connects it to the services.

Good luck. KM

trinkie
05-Oct-09, 07:35
Good Morning. It's around 7.30 am and today it's rather dull but still dry. The dark clouds are low over the Bridge - but at least it's open. They seem to close that old bridge for the slightest thing nowadays.

Sorry I'm late with my replies - there is a path leading to the Bridge it's signposted from the Restaurant on the top of the cliff, you cant miss it. There's plenty parking there too.

It is better to cross the bridge from England on the Right side, and stay on the Bridge to the very end. For pedestrians etc, there is a sharp right turn leading to an underpass, but dont use that, if you stay on the Bridge to the end that will take you out to the Cycle Path which leads straight into Chepstow.

There is parking on the Welsh side too - but not directly by the Bridge. You must take the Link Road to Chepstow and park at the side. It's a special place for such parking - lorries etc. But (joxville) if you wish to Park there in order to meet Rheghead again - you should go to the end of the Link Road and round the round-about and double back so you are parking on the side of the Cycle track. On that side there is a long stretch of trees ... you will be facing the Bridge again. It's around there that I hope to be waiting depending on the time Rheghead is passing by !

In case I dont manage to be on the Bridge, remember to take plenty photos with our Cyclist on the Bridge - that would be more photogenic than on the Track.

Good luck, keep in touch regarding times etc.
Trinkie

trinkie
05-Oct-09, 18:26
Joxville and I met Rheghead and his friend on the Old Severn Road Bridge around 3.30pm this afternoon. They looked good and are doing well. Although today was dry they have had some rain, and they found the undulating terrain of Devon and Cornwall a bit tiring !
After a welcoming cup of tea at my place the two cyclists left for the Wye Valley at 5.45, and Joxville headed back home.

It was so good to see them and put faces to names. We had a great blether and exchanged Caithness stories!

Now I wish them a safe journey as they make their way north - what a long way they have to go yet.

Lovely lads,

Trinkie

Kevin Milkins
05-Oct-09, 18:43
Joxville and I met Rheghead and his friend on the Old Severn Road Bridge around 3.30pm this afternoon. They looked good and are doing well. Although today was dry they have had some rain, and they found the undulating terrain of Devon and Cornwall a bit tiring !
After a welcoming cup of tea at my place the two cyclists left for the Wye Valley at 5.45, and Joxville headed back home.

It was so good to see them and put faces to names. We had a great blether and exchanged Caithness stories!

Now I wish them a safe journey as they make their way north - what a long way they have to go yet.

Lovely lads,

Trinkie

Thanks for the update trinkie, it's good to hear they are making good progress.:D
I used to get very tired just driving from Exeter to South Wales, so I have the utmost admiration for anyone that would take on this epic trip on a push bike.

Do you live down that way?

Moira
05-Oct-09, 19:22
That is excellent news Trinkie.

It's good to know that you and Joxville provided a traditional Caithness welcome for Rheghead and his friend today. They are so far from home and still have a long way to go so I'm sure it was very much appreciated. :)

joxville
05-Oct-09, 20:50
That is excellent news Trinkie.

It's good to know that you and Joxville provided a traditional Caithness welcome for Rheghead and his friend today. They are so far from home and still have a long way to go so I'm sure it was very much appreciated. :)
Trinkie provided a traditional Caithness welcome, not me, since I'm Glasgow born! My traditional welcome would have been a Glasgow kiss [lol]

My thanks to Trinkie and her husband for making us very welcome in their home and the hospitality shown to us.

Moira
05-Oct-09, 21:46
I know you're Glasgow born Joxville and I know that you know what I meant and that's all that matters. ;)

joxville
06-Oct-09, 19:24
Latest from Rheghead. He and Brian are 10 miles north of Ludlow, they managed to cycle 67 miles today.

Kevin Milkins
06-Oct-09, 19:53
Latest from Rheghead. He and Brian are 10 miles north of Ludlow, they managed to cycle 67 miles today.

That would be about Craven Arms then, if you are in touch with him Jox by phone, tell him he is bang on for a pint of Woods Parish, he will know what you mean.;)

joxville
06-Oct-09, 20:00
That would be about Craven Arms then, if you are in touch with him Jox by phone, tell him he is bang on for a pint of Woods Parish, he will know what you mean.;)

I've sent a text to let them know. :D

joxville
07-Oct-09, 00:13
This is Rheghead and Brian having just arrived in Wales. Rheghead is wearing the Hi-Vis jacket.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9708/1002428r.jpg

Aaldtimer
07-Oct-09, 03:16

Ah, they were just having an easy day yesterday then?;)

Liz
07-Oct-09, 12:56
Thanks for posting the photo Jox.:D

Hope they manage to get some good weather to help them on their journey.

oldmarine
07-Oct-09, 14:38
This is Rheghead and Brian having just arrived in Wales. Rheghead is wearing the Hi-Vis jacket.

Enjoyed viewing the photo Joxville. Thank you for posting.

Kevin Milkins
07-Oct-09, 20:42
That's got to be a tough shift, doing the end to end. I went out to Noss Head for a cycle ride and was walking like John Wayne with piles for about two days after.:eek:

Fair play to the men and good luck with the rest of the trip. Thanks for posting the photo Jox.:Razz

joxville
07-Oct-09, 21:28
Latest text from Rheghead:

Cycled 58 miles, at Aston nr. Nantwich. Camping for free behind a good pub!

A well deserved drink or three methinks. :)

scorrie
07-Oct-09, 23:56

Steptoe and Son ;)

Aaldtimer
08-Oct-09, 02:51
Latest text from Rheghead:

Cycled 58 miles, at Aston nr. Nantwich. Camping for free behind a good pub!

A well deserved drink or three methinks. :)

Michty, they're on half days noo!:)

trinkie
08-Oct-09, 07:52
They seem to be doing very well, but now approaching some busier roads. Yesterday's journey would have been in dry weather, or so I understand, I hope that continues for some time ! It's certainly getting chillier down here now and the leaves are falling from the trees.
How nice for them to have a 'free Camp' the other night, they would have appreciated that, especially near a good pub !
Do we have any Caithness connections near to the Scottish / English border ? That would be a good place to welcome our Cycling Heroes?

Pedal on ...
Trinkie

joxville
10-Oct-09, 11:01
My apologies to everyone awaiting updates, I received the following message on Thursday evening but forgot to post it here because I was busy at work. Unfortunately no message received last night so shall text Rheggers to find out how they are progressing.

Only 37 miles due to punctures and broken spokes. Camped at Rixton nr. Warrington, ripoff £13 to camp.

I'll update ASAP.

Moira
10-Oct-09, 14:20
Thanks for the photo and the updates Joxville. :)

Let's hope the cyclists have encountered no more problems and are wheeling cheerfully along again now.

Look forward to your next update.

Ricco
10-Oct-09, 16:47
Rheghead - go for it man! A couple of my students did it during the summer and lived to tell the tale. Makes my Palace to Palace seem insignificant by comparison. Good luck, mate!

:D

joxville
10-Oct-09, 17:50
I would have posted sooner but I was sleeping, received this at 14.40:

At Tebay now, not far to Scotland.

trinkie
10-Oct-09, 17:56
Thank you for the updates joxville.... my word! They're doing very well despite the punctures!
I know they are to meet up with some Orgers in Edinburgh, but what about the Border? It would be great to have a really Scottish Welcome there.

Power to the Pedals,
Trinkie

golach
10-Oct-09, 20:45
our intrepid duo have reached the Lazonby Campsite near Penrith, and are averaging 60 miles a day at present, they are enjoying a dram or two of Grouse at the moment.
Eta Edinburgh is hopefully sometime Monday

bekisman
10-Oct-09, 23:07
"At Tebay now, not far to Scotland." when my OH and I did our LEJOG back in 1980 seem to remember that a few hundred yards up from Tebay was half-way, so it's "down Hill" from now on Rheghead! keep on going...

canuck
11-Oct-09, 18:54
Any news about ETA in Edinburgh?

golach
12-Oct-09, 13:45
Our duo has reached Peebles, soon to be in Edinburgh, no further info

canuck
12-Oct-09, 16:07
Spies tell me that they have been spotted on the streets of Auld Reekie!

Golach, put the kettle on!

golach
12-Oct-09, 16:32
both our intrepid travellers have arrived, fed and watered, now getting ready to hit the high life of Sunny Leith [lol]

Moira
12-Oct-09, 17:39
Thanks for the update Canuck & Golach.

If you're joining the guys on their night out in Sunny Leith take care while hitching a lift on the handlebars. :eek: :lol:

trinkie
12-Oct-09, 17:47
Thank you for keeping us informed.

Have a great time, give my Regards to our Cycling Heroes.

Trinkie

Liz
12-Oct-09, 18:56
Thanks for letting us know where our cycling heroes are Canuck and Golach.

They better be careful in case they get caught for drunk cycling tomorrow!:lol:

Have a good time and raise a dram to them on our behalf.

golach
12-Oct-09, 21:53
come on you lot get dipping into your bank books, I am having a dram with two of the nicest guys I have met for a long time, they are showered powdered an smelling sweet, but they are threatening to hold me hostage if they dont get more money [lol]

canuck
12-Oct-09, 22:23
The Leith expedition was a huge success and no handlebars were involved.

All is now quiet in the Capital!

golach
13-Oct-09, 08:58
I was released from the hostage situation, by promising to cook a full Scottish Breakfast. They are now heading out of Auld Reekie, heading toward Auchterarder for their overnight stop.

trinkie
13-Oct-09, 09:34
Well done Golach and Canuck,

I'm sure with such a breakfast inside them, they will zoom along the road in no time at all!
Look forward to the next update.
Any other 'meetings' planned do you know?

Trinkie

golach
13-Oct-09, 09:40
Trinkie, They hope to be in Inverness in 3 days time, they are taking the more scenic route avoiding the A9, going through Blairgowrie, Grantown on Spey, Elgin, arriving to Inverness in that direction, they are hoping to meet Squidge around Inverness, John 'o Goats in 5 days time if all goes well.

golach
14-Oct-09, 08:28
The duo reached Perth last night, and were spending a wet night under canvas after completeing 63 miles. They are heading for Tomintoul today, their target is to reach the highest bar in Scotland.

golach
14-Oct-09, 22:08
Latest info was that they were having afternoon tea at the Spittal of Glen Shee, hoping to spend the night near Braemar, but no final news tonight, maybe in a mobile black spot.

trinkie
15-Oct-09, 07:53
Thank you for the updates Golach, they are making good time cycling through such wonderful country. It would not have been easy with all the hills, but I've no doubt both would have marvelled at the landscape.

"England thy beauties are tame and domestic
To one who has roamed o'er mountains afar.
Show me the crags that are wild and majestic -
The steep flowing glories of Dark Lochnagar."

They would have needed a good cup of tea that afternoon followed by something stronger in the evening.

Keep us posted
Trinkie

joxville
15-Oct-09, 15:15
Thanks trinkie for the pm with the link to The Corries~Dark Lochnagar, should anyone else want to here it here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwn28X3szrg

trinkie
15-Oct-09, 15:50
Good idea joxville, thank you. It does help to bring us all together.
The words of 'Away ye gay landscapes' of course, are by Lord Byron 1788 - 1824
The Air ' Lochnagarr' is much older - I am trying to find dates !
It was likely a Pipe Tune and I think the words suit it beautifully.
Robert Burns too, put words to some of the old tunes and kept them alive for future generations.
What a rich heritage we have.

Trinkie

Kevin Milkins
15-Oct-09, 17:07
Do we have a rough ETA for our intrepid travellers to reach Groat so we can whip up a well earned reception party to clap them in?:Razz

Moira
15-Oct-09, 22:24
The ETA for Rheggers and his friend in JoG is Sunday. I'll post more details when I have them.

They have made fantastic progress and are resting (??) at Culloden tonight. :)

Anne x
15-Oct-09, 22:27
Thanks Moira gosh they have done so well hope they have a welcome party

catran
15-Oct-09, 22:30
The ETA for Rheggers and his friend in JoG is Sunday. I'll post more details when I have them.

They have made fantastic progress and are resting (??) at Culloden tonight. :)

Brilliant, hope the weather keeps up supposedly good tomorrow and Saturday been watching their progress with interest.

Kevin Milkins
15-Oct-09, 23:04
Thanks Moira, Sunday would be good for availability of a good turn out for them.:Razz

golach
15-Oct-09, 23:42
latest news from our travellers is they travelled 82 miles today from Braemar via Grantown on Spey to Culloden, and got a telling off from the Warden for arriving late. A very hard day.

Bobinovich
16-Oct-09, 05:33
If they're covering circa 60 miles per day are they not more likely to arrive late on Saturday :confused

oldmarine
16-Oct-09, 06:33
Enjoy reading the postings about Rheghead & Brian and their progress. They have attracted a lot of attention during their trip.

trinkie
16-Oct-09, 08:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeVdejmRqRw

They are making good time - was it doonhill all the way to Culloden ?
I 've just got to give you another link - I wont make a habit of it though. I was cross that the Warden gave our two Heroes such a sad welcome I hope they said " Get on yur bike ! "
shades of 1746.

They'll soon be home now and a welcome awaits them in Caithness I have no doubt - wish I could be there.

Trinkie.

Moira
16-Oct-09, 11:45
Latest news from our heroes as at 10.30 am. They made it safely away from Culloden and were over the Kessock Bridge heading for an overnight stay at Crask. :D

Margaret M.
16-Oct-09, 18:58
Latest news from our heroes as at 10.30 am. They made it safely away from Culloden and were over the Kessock Bridge heading for an overnight stay at Crask. :D

Wow, good for them -- I bet their bums hurt. Keep pedalling, Rheggie, you're almost there! A welcome at John O'Groats is a great idea.

golach
16-Oct-09, 19:35
Hot off the Press.
"In Crask Inn, all booze and food paid for, as Rheg is a birthday boy, they did 77 miles today, and Rheg say he can nearly smell his own lum reeking "[lol]

Liz
16-Oct-09, 19:44
Well done boys!!! Nearly there!:D

I wish I could join the welcome party but not very well.:confused

Hope they get the welcome they deserve.

Whitewater
16-Oct-09, 23:41
I'm sure they will get a great welcome, true to his word, he text me this evening saying he would be in John O'Groats about Sunday dinner time, I'm not too sure if dinner time is about mid-day or early evening about 5pm. I replied that I would be in Groats about mid-day, he has not replied saying that is the wrong time so until I know otherwise I will be there about noon.

Whitewater
17-Oct-09, 00:14
I've been away from the org for a wee while and I have just had a wonderful time reading through this marvelous thread, backwards.(I tend to do that a lot if it interests me, or is fun) What a great lot you all are. Makes me proud to be an orger and part of such a wonderful bunch of people.
Maybe one day I will meet a few of you, perhaps a few of our local orgers on Sunday.

Moira
17-Oct-09, 01:00
Hot off the Press.
"In Crask Inn, all booze and food paid for, as Rheg is a birthday boy, they did 77 miles today, and Rheg say he can nearly smell his own lum reeking "
Cheers for the update Golach. I didn't manage to get online today apart from my brief update this morning.

Well done boys!!! Nearly there!
I wish I could join the welcome party but not very well.
Hope they get the welcome they deserve. I've PM'd you Lizz.

I'm sure they will get a great welcome, true to his word, he text me this evening saying he would be in John O'Groats about Sunday dinner time, I'm not too sure if dinner time is about mid-day or early evening about 5pm. I replied that I would be in Groats about mid-day, he has not replied saying that is the wrong time so until I know otherwise I will be there about noon.

I have it on good authority that Rheghead and his friend Brian have booked 6*+ accommodation in Caithness on Saturday night so I would not be sure that they will appear in Groats at midday on Sunday. ;)

What I am sure about is that they will let some of us know their schedule for ETA at Groats. If they don't, I think questions could/should be asked on the Org. :D

trinkie
17-Oct-09, 10:33
Did Golach say ' Birthday ?'

Many Happy Returns to Rheghead, I hope you had a good night and are all set for the final stretch now.

Good luck and Well done.
Trinkie

Moira
17-Oct-09, 13:47
It's onward and upward into Caithness today on what is a beautiful, sunny and (almost) windless Autumn day. :)

Latest message received at 11 am. "Nearly at Bettyhill. Bonny frosty ride thru Sutherland"

Here's a link I found which maps the final leg of the journey.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/huntly-inverness-jog-and-back

canuck
17-Oct-09, 15:53
Thanks Moira. I checked your link to the map. I could hear G2's 'Struie Hill' playing in my mind.

trinkie
17-Oct-09, 16:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-hBlitv08U&feature=related

Keep going lads...... nearly there.

Trinkie

Rheghead
17-Oct-09, 16:46
It has been fantastic to read through the encouraging posts. I am home now for a shower, drammie and a good sleep in my own bed at last. Great to be back with family. Looking forward to the last push to the finish tomorrow and meeting you all.:D

ETA about 12-1pm

Bobinovich
17-Oct-09, 16:51
I'll be there in spirit Rheg and congrats in advance on completing your feat :).

Lavenderblue2
17-Oct-09, 16:54
Well done Rheghead & Brian

and belated Birthday Good Wishes Rheghead :)

Any idea what time you'll be arriving at JOG on Sunday - I'd love to be there.:)

Sleep well in your own bed tonight - bliss...

Moira
17-Oct-09, 16:54
Enjoy your well deserved drammie and have a good nights rest.

I hope the weather tomorrow is as glorious as it is today.
Good luck for the final leg and look forward to seeing you both arrive safely at John o' Groats shortly after mid-day tomorrow. :D

Alice in Blunderland
17-Oct-09, 17:24
Well done and see you tomorrow. :)

Iffy
17-Oct-09, 18:21
I'm going out to JOG tomorrow to my Dad's for dinner about 4 - 6pm

Would Rheghead and cycling partner be around then ?

golach
17-Oct-09, 19:46
Well done Rheg and Brian, a pleasure to meet you both, glad you reached civilisation once more.

Whitewater
17-Oct-09, 20:29
Well done both, enjoy your night tonight and the drams as well, but not too many drammies or that last wee bit might rise up and bite you.
Look forward to seeing you arrive in Groats tomorrow.

Rheghead
17-Oct-09, 21:37
I've got a good idea for a new book of mine, entitled, Rheghead's Review of Britain's Pasties, Pies and Bridies.:lol:

I've actually gained weight (first person do this maybe??) but the scales say I've lost 8% body fat.:eek:

golach
17-Oct-09, 23:18
I've got a good idea for a new book of mine, entitled, Rheghead's Review of Britain's Pasties, Pies and Bridies.:lol:

Remember to include the curry shops of Auld Reekie Rheg [lol]

Margaret M.
18-Oct-09, 01:26
It has been fantastic to read through the encouraging posts. I am home now for a shower, drammie and a good sleep in my own bed at last. Great to be back with family. Looking forward to the last push to the finish tomorrow and meeting you all.

ETA about 12-1pm

What a feeling it must be to accomplish what you guys did. I would love to do it but I would need a sunny weather guarantee, a room in a plush hotel every night and a bike seat that never stops feeling like a soft, fluffy pillow.

Well done! Enjoy your day tomorrow. :D

oldmarine
18-Oct-09, 05:38
By the time this is posted, Rheghead & Brian shoule be finished with their long trip. I offer my sincere congratulations to the both of you.

bekisman
18-Oct-09, 09:39
Congrats Rheggy - would like to have seen you passing through our area, but being down in Lancs, missed it.. I can promise you your LEJOG will stay with you for ever, again well done!

trinkie
18-Oct-09, 10:18
The Auldtimers are heving a perty
They’re as happy as happy can be
There’ll be Pasties and Pies and Bridies
As far as the eye can see.
There’ll be dancin’ and singin’ and laughin’
An’ heuchan for all that they’re worth
Till welcome Rheggers an’ Brian
Fa are truly the Salt o’ the Earth.

The lads set off wi’ their bicycles
Way way doon in the sooth
An pedalled an pedalled through win’ an’ rain
Sometimes fair doon in the mooth.
But on an on they trachled
Tho’ their knees were gettan sore
An’ praised the Loard for soft saddles
An the Lycra that they wore!

Oh the Lycra that they wore m’lads
Wad bring a glint till yur e’e
As it clung till every coarner
Hid filled ma hert wi glee.
The colours so bricht an so cheerful
Yellows an’ blues an’ pink
I’ll buy some o’ ‘at wi’ ma Pension next week
But I’m size 22 – fit d’ye think ?

The boyags cycled on an’ on
Campin’ near ev’ry nicht
Pitchin’ their tents on grass so weet
In the moarnin’ they looked such a sicht.
But onto their bikes they’d go once again
An head further up north
Dreadan’ the mountains they still hed till reach
But soon they’d be crossan’ the Forth.

An’ once in the Heelans they got a new win’
Onwards and northwards they sped
Wi thochts now o’ home and loved ones again
An’ longing for a warm soft bed.

Country now fameeliar, Oh the birds an’ the flooers
The air so fresh, the smells so sweet
They’d be home in another few hoors.

Auldtimers are waiting – a tear in their e’e
Thank two fine boyags fa did a' this - for ye and for me !!

Liz
18-Oct-09, 13:39
Well done Rheghead and Brian! It's been so good to follow your journey but so glad it was from the comfort of a computer chair!:lol:

You have done really well and should feel very proud of your achievement.

Ricco
18-Oct-09, 15:31
Congratulations Brian and Rheghead. Well done!

Lavenderblue2
18-Oct-09, 15:43
I was delighted be be at JOG today to meet Rheghead & Brian at the end of their long journey. What a great couple of guys, it was a pleasure to meet them and hear some of their stories.

I also met Torvaig & Ben, Moira, R'head's wife and delightful little daughter, beautifully dressed in tartan to greet her daddy.

Another man turned up but I don't know was he an Orger, forgive me for not asking if you are reading this.

Lavenderblue2
18-Oct-09, 15:59
I really wanted to give Trinkie a 'Good Rep' for her brilliant poem but as usual I am told to spread it around a bit - I do.:confused

We can always count on Trinkie to come up with a fitting poem for any occasion - maybe she should be crowned the Org's official Poet Laureate!!

Well done.

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-09, 16:05
I was delighted be be at JOG today to meet Rheghead & Brian at the end of their long journey. What a great couple of guys, it was a pleasure to meet them and hear some of their stories.

I also met Torvaig & Ben, Moira, R'head's wife and delightful little daughter, beautifully dressed in tartan to greet her daddy.

Another man turned up but I don't know was he an Orger, forgive me for not asking if you are reading this.

Sorry I didn't get over to meet you all, I got behind and arrived late, I think they where just coming out of Groat as we went in.:(

I have asked them on another site if they will do a lap of honour, :eek: but I guess that might be a no.:lol:

I suppose I will have to dig a bit deeper for some sponsership, for being late.
Once again, well done to you both.

Rheghead
18-Oct-09, 16:10
Great to see you all at Groats today. A bit raw out there but it was a nice tailwind there.

Fantastic poem from Trinkie, I'm going to print that one off for a permanent keepsake, made us both chuckle.

Back in the house now, a lazy afternoon is on the cards with (yes you guessed it) a drammie or two.

Gonna put up a wendyhouse tomorrow since jobber couldn't figure it out. What am I gonna do with my life now? Seems like I've been cycling all my life!![lol]

I'd like to thank all my sponsors far and wide and all my friends alike who have met us on the way to encourage us and help us. It really is incredible how generous the orgers have been to us and to Alzheimer Scotland.

Big Thank You!! X:D

Lavenderblue2
18-Oct-09, 16:29
Don't worry if you haven't managed to sponsor Rheghead yet, you'll still be able to donate online at http://www.justgiving.com/RussHayley/ for a couple of months yet.

Alzheimer's Scotland - a great cause.

Sporran
18-Oct-09, 16:56
Well done on such a tremendous achievement, Rheghead, and belated Happy Birthday wishes! It must feel good to be home again! :)

Hubby and I just missed you in Edinburgh by a day. We left on the Sunday, after a few days visit. Hopefully, I'll remember to bring Golach's phone number with me next time I'm there. I would have loved to have met the Edinburgh chapter of the Org!

Fabulous poem, Trinkie! I enjoyed reading that! :D

cuddlepop
18-Oct-09, 17:01
What a fantastic achievement,well done to you both and a big thank you to our fellow Orgers for keeping us informed on your travels.:D

What do you fancy achieving next? as I'm sure you'll have caught "the bug".:lol:

Rheghead
18-Oct-09, 17:17
What do you fancy achieving next? as I'm sure you'll have caught "the bug".:lol:

If I have the time and money then I fancy Caithness to Cape Town. But in the meantime then I would like to do John O'Groats to Ulllapool, over to Stornaway on ferry, down to Barra, over to Skye, and to stranraer, to Belfast then to rosslare and to pembroke then on to Land's End. Just a Thought and to include all countries of the British Isles.[lol]

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-09, 17:27
If I have the time and money then I fancy Caithness to Cape Town. But in the meantime then I would like to do John O'Groats to Ulllapool, over to Stornaway on ferry, down to Barra, over to Skye, and to stranraer, to Belfast then to rosslare and to pembroke then on to Land's End. Just a Thought.[lol]

I would have thought that if you are looking for the ultimate end to end, (with a bit on the side) you may as well start at Muckle Flugga.
At least you can say then that you have done the full length of the UK. :eek: I am sure Kodiak would be able to offer some advice on that part of the journey.

joxville
18-Oct-09, 19:00
Well done to Rheghead and Brian on their marvellous achievement.

Munro
18-Oct-09, 19:19
Congratulations to Rheghead and Brian on brilliant achievement

Munro

unicorn
18-Oct-09, 19:21
Well done lads

golach
18-Oct-09, 19:22
No apologies but just bumping this up

Fran
18-Oct-09, 19:31
Well done and congratulations to you both on such a great achievement and for raising so much money for a good cause.

Moira
18-Oct-09, 20:12
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z159/moirawick/DSC00724.jpg

Left to right :-
Brian, unknown hero, Rheghead

It was great to meet Brian & Rheghead today at the end of their long journey. The guy in the middle of the photo arrived around the same time, all on his own, having completed LEJOG albeit by a different route. It was nice to include him in the photo.

Congratulations all round once more - I have the greatest admiration for anyone undertaking such a challenge for whatever reason. :D

Moira
18-Oct-09, 20:58
The Auldtimers are heving a perty .....
Oh the Lycra that they wore m’lads
Wad bring a glint till yur e’e
As it clung till every coarner
Hid filled ma hert wi glee.....
Thank two fine boyags fa did a' this - for ye and for me !!

Ahem, Trinkie, I hope you're not suggesting that I am an "Auldtimer".
You are spot on about the Lycra though - AliceInBlunderland will be so jealous missing seeing it for real. ;)

I was delighted be be at JOG today ....
I also met Torvaig & Ben, Moira, R'head's wife and delightful little daughter.....
Another man turned up but I don't know was he an Orger.....
It was indeed a pleasure to meet everyone face to face and the wee one is an absolute treasure. I hope Rheghead gives the helium balloon's bid for freedom a mention in his memoirs. I have never seen Torvaig moving so fast in my life. :lol:
I managed to overcome my natural shyness(!?) and have now established that your "another man" is indeed an Orger. We were speaking about you after you left (typical Caithness - eh?). I'll PM you.

Sorry I didn't get over to meet you all, I got behind and arrived late, I think they where just coming out of Groat as we went in.....
That's a pity Kevin. I was hoping you would get some video footage of the final few pedal strokes.
Torvaig and I had lunch in the cafe after everyone else left. Sorry to have missed you.

If I have the time and money then I fancy Caithness to Cape Town.......
Now behave! It took me all my time to get to Jo'G and I don't think I would be allowed on board a plane with a helium balloon. :eek:

Whitewater
18-Oct-09, 21:25
Hi Rhegers, What a pleasure it was to meet both you & Brian at Groats today, and a few of the other orgers as well. Sorry I forgot 1)to wish you a belated 'Happy Birthday' & 2) my camera, I managed a couple of pictures on my phone but the quality was poor, unable to see the screen properly in the light, I've got half a body here and half a bike somewhere else, but I guess there will be a few pictures of your arrival on the org soon.
Well done, that was a tremendous effort. Have a good relaxing couple of days if possible.

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-09, 21:33
That's a pity Kevin. I was hoping you would get some video footage of the final few pedal strokes.
Torvaig and I had lunch in the cafe after everyone else left. Sorry to have missed you.

:eek:

I was a bit miffed as well Moira as I was all geared up with camera etc.
If I had known you were still in the cafe I would have joined for a coffee, but we sat and had a sandwich and a flask then took the dogs for a walk.

The guy with the orange top on was still there while we were their and two more lads turned up.

Torvaig
18-Oct-09, 22:26
Well done Brian and Rheghead; a great achievement! It was lovely to meet you at last, and your little family. Good to meet the other orgers as well and Moira - "I have never seen Torvaig moving so fast in my life" - I can assure you it is a long time since I did move so fast but I just couldn't let the balloon disappear over the horizon.

Mind you, I think it may have been something to do with the champagne, lovely stuff! :lol: Great picture by the way....looking forward to seeing the rest.

Sorry you missed us Kevin, the banoffee pie was to die for..... ;) and Ben was miffed to have missed your canine family. He was lonely all on his own.

Again, well done gents; we are extremely proud of you.

trinkie
19-Oct-09, 08:12
Ahem Moira, You're never too young to be an Auldtimer. This is where the fun starts !
As a matter of fact I have cycled over the Bridge a few times since we met Rheghead and Brian there - I think I might be the next End to Ender - of the Bridge that is. Watch this space. giggle

Trinkie

William
19-Oct-09, 12:20
Were those two Cyclists being followed by a car a campervan and a van?

Rheghead
19-Oct-09, 18:36
We were followed by various cars, vans, and campervans at some stage, thankfully they mostly gave us a wide berth when overtaking.:D

William
20-Oct-09, 00:25
Aww i see i was just wondering if it was you guys i seen on my way to inverness about the top of berridale on the north side on sunday?

Bobinovich
20-Oct-09, 00:29
Don't think they came the Berriedale road - this post (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=600705&postcount=28) shows the plan was to do the north road from the West so they'd have bypassed that section.

William
20-Oct-09, 00:31
Oh lol oh well obviously not them then ta Bobinovich

Moira
26-Oct-09, 23:24
Oh lol oh well obviously not them then ta Bobinovich

You maybe missed them on the road William but there is still plenty of time to contribute towards their fundraising.

http://www.justgiving.com/RussHayley

Alice in Blunderland
26-Oct-09, 23:53
You maybe missed them on the road William but there is still plenty of time to contribute towards their fundraising.

http://www.justgiving.com/RussHayley

Oh Moira you never miss a trick :lol:

Moira
27-Oct-09, 00:04
Oh Moira you never miss a trick :lol:

True, I owe you a Hot Chocolate. ;)