PDA

View Full Version : Just a hug ?

Iffy
09-Sep-09, 17:49
I've just been thinking about some of the times I've been hugged, some of which have been unexpected - but lovely all the same !

I've "learnt" from losing my Dear Mum, to make the most of a hug - and always make an effort now to hug my Dad whenever the situation calls for it (Christmas, birthdays and any time that bad news turns out OK !)

I wasn't brought up to be a "tactile" person, but my in-laws are very much into hugs !

I NOW think it's so nice to be greeted ( though obviously not on a day-to-day experience !!) by a hug from your:-

Mum, Dad, brother, sister, husband,wife,friend or any other relation who means something to you ....................

What do other "Orgers" think ??

WickWitch
09-Sep-09, 17:54
I don't think that we hug enough. I love being hugged. (hugs to all that want one)

Nettie
09-Sep-09, 18:00
:lol: **** I Love Hugs **** :lol:

_awayoflife_
09-Sep-09, 18:04
everybody needs a hug sometime and i think some people under estimate how much a hug can help :)
x spread the love x

Thumper
09-Sep-09, 18:08
I always greet friends with a hug,well maybe not always but if I havent seen them for a while or something then they get a big hug! Hugs can make a persons day so much better x

Kathy@watten
09-Sep-09, 18:25
Oh dear I am in the opposite camp from everyonelse so far, I would rather not be hugged unless there was a jolly good reason for it. I do not do great flamboyant declarations of affection....well I do hug the odd horse or dog. Hugs should be heart felt and not dished out willy nilly and diluting the real meaning to them. Occasionally there crops up a good enough reason to hug, consolling the bereaved, delight in an achievement, greeting of old friend whom you haven't seen in ages or if is a snuggle up with a loved one and a good film. These are moments when hugging is appropriate, needed and wanted, not for everyday greeting and meeting...keep it special!

Whitewater
09-Sep-09, 20:42
I have to agree with Kathy@Watten, I like being hugged, but not too often, maybe it was the generation I was brought up in, we tended to shake hands more. However, I do know one or two special ladies who have hugged me and I must admit I enjoyed it.

S&LHEN
09-Sep-09, 21:11
Totally agree a hug can make something awful so much better specially if its heartfelt and not strained.
I hate people who give false hugs :D x

everybody needs a hug sometime and i think some people under estimate how much a hug can help :)
x spread the love x

teddybear1873
09-Sep-09, 21:20
I hug the covers or is that hog?

shazzap
09-Sep-09, 21:39
Oh dear I am in the opposite camp from everyonelse so far, I would rather not be hugged unless there was a jolly good reason for it. I do not do great flamboyant declarations of affection....well I do hug the odd horse or dog. Hugs should be heart felt and not dished out willy nilly and diluting the real meaning to them. Occasionally there crops up a good enough reason to hug, consolling the bereaved, delight in an achievement, greeting of old friend whom you haven't seen in ages or if is a snuggle up with a loved one and a good film. These are moments when hugging is appropriate, needed and wanted, not for everyday greeting and meeting...keep it special!

I have to agree with Kathy@Watten, I like being hugged, but not too often, maybe it was the generation I was brought up in, we tended to shake hands more. However, I do know one or two special ladies who have hugged me and I must admit I enjoyed it.

I'm with you two on this i am not very demonstrative.

ŠAmethyst
09-Sep-09, 22:02
Just want to share that the best hug I have had in a long time was given to me about 15 minutes ago by a fellow orger! :)

Vistravi
09-Sep-09, 22:32
I used to not like being and giving hugs but since being with my partner that has changed. I fall asleep being hugged by him as he uses me as his personal pillow most of the time ;)Whenever i'm up in caithness visting my family and friends everyone gets a farewell hug. I also give the children in the nursery i work in cuddles whenever they want it.
To me now hugs aren't to be given too freely but for the people who want one they get one.

Boozeburglar
09-Sep-09, 22:36
Just want to share that the best hug I have had in a long time was given to me about 15 minutes ago by a fellow orger! :)

Oops sorry, I thought you were my sister!

It is pretty dark tonight..

:)

Kevin Milkins
09-Sep-09, 22:37
Hugs are good if it feels ok.

If the hat fits, wear it,....
:Razz:Razz

ŠAmethyst
09-Sep-09, 22:57
Oops sorry, I thought you were my sister!

It is pretty dark tonight..

:)

lol, naw I bet she's prettier :p

Kathy@watten
10-Sep-09, 00:12
I used to not like being and giving hugs but since being with my partner that has changed. I fall asleep being hugged by him as he uses me as his personal pillow most of the time ;)Whenever i'm up in caithness visting my family and friends everyone gets a farewell hug. I also give the children in the nursery i work in cuddles whenever they want it.
To me now hugs aren't to be given too freely but for the people who want one they get one.

I don't for one minute think you would be a dodgy individual but I personally would take exception to anyone outwith my close family circle hugging my kids in a nursery situation and think that in this day and age the practice of hugging kids would be frowned upon.

shazzap
10-Sep-09, 00:18
I don't for one minute think you would be a dodgy individual but I personally would take exception to anyone outwith my close family circle hugging my kids in a nursery situation and think that in this day and age the practice of hugging kids would be frowned upon.

I worked with young people in a residential and secure unit. The best way is a friendly arm around the shoulder not too much body contact to be mis-trued as anything else.

sassylass
10-Sep-09, 01:23
I like to be hugged or touched only by people I know well and people who know me well know this :eek:.

BRIE
10-Sep-09, 09:59
I love being hugged!! I come from a very tactile family & my children have been brought up the same, I think its very important to hug the people who are important in your life, It shows them that their loved. I always kiss & hug my family goodbye & goodnight.

trix
10-Sep-09, 10:59
i lek a beeg cuddle fie ma man, he's a guid cuddler and cuddles me all 'e time.....wi his beeg strong airms :lol:

i cana cuddle ma mam or dad...no way, a wee kiss on 'e cheek til 'e auld cheil when am goin oot 'e door, i gie ma mam a kiss at christmas an at 'e bells.

its funny that some people ye feel comfy gien a wee cuddle til, an some people ye dina.
any new pals i hev made in 'e last 10 years or so i always gie a cuddle til when i see them but ma long standin pals it wid be choost too strange....ye think it wid 'e ither way aboot :confused

i ayie get a cuddle fie ma wee brither but ma beeg brither punches me in 'e airm....terms o' endearment he says....but i suspect he never really lekt me much...!

jealous probly that i got 'e guid looks an no him :cool:

ŠAmethyst
10-Sep-09, 13:30
Doubt that a wee punch on the arm would be because he doesn't like you. You should hear some of the things my brother and I call each other! But we do love each other and I try to steal a hug whenever I can lol

trix
10-Sep-09, 13:55
Doubt that a wee punch on the arm would be because he doesn't like you.

guid til see that yer takin me as serious as ever :roll:

cuddlepop
10-Sep-09, 14:00
My mum loved her hugs and missed being hugged when my dad died.
We all hugged her but his was the best.

My youngest needed her "cuddlepops".... at times I thought I was being squeezed to death.

Only gently hugs now as she's more than capable of breaking my ribs.:eek:

I love it when our very own Scorrie gives me a hug,he literally puts his big furry paws round you and snuggles under your chin.
Real life "teddy bear":lol:

ŠAmethyst
10-Sep-09, 14:22
guid til see that yer takin me as serious as ever :roll:

Me? Serious? *gently punches Trix in the arm* Nevar! :p

trix
10-Sep-09, 15:23
Me? Serious? *gently punches Trix in the arm* Nevar! :p

if 'e truth be telt....he's actually 'e better lookin aine :lol:

Vistravi
10-Sep-09, 19:59

What I mean by cuddles is having them come and give you a hug after a while of them knowing you, (which happens quite alot. There is one child that always give me a hug as a greeting.) when they have fallen or have been pushed and need a bit of reassurance, when they are unwell and are waiting for parent to come and pick them up and when they just need one in which case they come to me and ask for one. I did not mean that i just randamly picked up a child and hugged him/her. It is entirely on their needs and wishes not the staff.
At the end of the day if a child needs a hug for whatever reason then i will give them one as it makes them feel better alot quicker than telling them they can't have one and having them cry it out.
In the nursery i work in we have kids that are there all day from 8 to 6 and when they need a hug after falling etc they don't have their parents to make them feel better and it would be just cruel to leave them to cry when a simple short hug makes it seem ok for them.

BRIE
10-Sep-09, 21:28
totally agree with you Vistravi. I would hate to think of my child being in a nursery wanting a cuddle & them being told they couldnt have one:( they would feel so rejected!

squidge
10-Sep-09, 23:02
I like to hug and i like to be hugged. Within our circle of friends we all hug and its fab. Even the men hug - although with manly back pats. If we areall together it can take ages to leave lol. I love to cuddle up with my children. The wee boy snuggles in for a cup of tea in the morning whilst his baby sister still sleeps and we watch cbeebies. If i am slow he getsmy hand and says "cmon mummy cuddles". The older ones still give their mum a hug and its lovely. Hugs rule i say!!!!

Vistravi
11-Sep-09, 18:37
totally agree with you Vistravi. I would hate to think of my child being in a nursery wanting a cuddle & them being told they couldnt have one:( they would feel so rejected!

It's just so cruel to leave them to cry and feeling rejected. Child protection is an issue but to me leaving a child upset, distraught or just plain unwelcome is a child protection issue. That only makes for a unhappy child and a unhappy parent. I can understand why Kathy@watten feels the way she does but i don't agree with it being frowned on at all. It is just so cruel to leave a child crying when a hug is what they want to make them feel better and secure.

The only time i ever let a child cry without giving them a hug to make them feel better is when they have been naughty and are crying because they know they have done wrong and are doing it purely out of temper.