PDA

View Full Version : Dead Elephant

DW
03-Apr-06, 12:56
I came across a dead elephant at the top end of Henrietta Street this morning. It had obviously just been hit and the person did have the decency to move it onto the pavement. Unfortunately no-one could get passed.

It had a collar with a little bell on it . This is so it can't jump out of trees and catch sparrows when they are not looking.

When I saw it I just couldn't leave it lying there so I phoned the council and they sent Hughie Simpson to lift it and put it on a lorry. http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20010823/nat.jpg

So if you know of anyone who has a 3500-4500Kg Asian elephant that is missing, it could be their beloved pet. You'd think someone would notice if their elephant was missing.

When my hippo was killed she was just left in the middle of the road . She had a collar, name tag + chipped - whats the point if no-one is going to check?

They will probably keep the elephant there for a couple of days in case anyone enquires. If it is chipped obviously they will get in touch with the owner.

This type of thing is no joke...................

Julia
03-Apr-06, 13:01
As far as I know it was not a hit and run, I heard the elephant tripped over a peanut and landed badly!

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 13:45
As far as I know it was not a hit and run, I heard the elephant tripped over a peanut and landed badly!

Wis id pink by any chance.

pultneytooner
03-Apr-06, 13:46
These posts about cats seem to be getting to you DW.

DW
03-Apr-06, 13:55
These posts about cats seem to be getting to you DW.
I completely refute this baseless allegation.

I was led to believe that this was a very pet-friendly forum.
I sincerely hope it is not going to be sizeist!!!

The fact that some people have pets that are not fluffy little balls of fun is purely coincidental.

D Edge
03-Apr-06, 15:35
3 cheers for DW!!!! At least there are some responsible people in Caithness, not like the people who leave dead cats lying around!! Well done DW for arranging the uplift of the elephant.

I really hope they find the owner, they will be devastated. If not maybe DW could find a local taxidermist and have the elephat preserved. It would look great on display in the Market Square or maybe as a centre piece in the Homebase garden centre.

I was so sad to hear about your Hippo DW, hope you found him/her a good resting place. :0)

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 16:20
Are ye sure yon elephant wisna only a shrew that lived in the Fast reactor at Dounreay and got mutated before ir wis taken hom by a Weeker?

dozy
03-Apr-06, 16:44
Is it a BIG WHITE ELEPHANT,may be CASE left it there .Well ,thy have plenty ???????

Maybe it was Grey ??? CASE has plenty of White wash ???

teuchter
03-Apr-06, 17:08
I was very distressed to read this post. As soon as the tears had eased enough for me to drive, i raced up to the council in Wick to retreave Fido.A decent burial is all i wanted to give my faithful companion. Imagine my relief to see that it was a blue collar , and not a red 1 that the elephant was wearing. Please next time someone starts a post like this , try and give a better description.By the way if anyone spots Fido meantime drop me a pm.

doyle
03-Apr-06, 17:18
Making jest of my post DW? Sorry but i'm not laughing [disgust]

Sianymo
03-Apr-06, 17:21
Is Fido a woolie Mammoth type of elephant? There's a large hairy one that keeps running through Ormlie and leaving elephant poo sized droppings outside my gate?

Maybe it's the elusive Fido?

:lol:

connieb19
03-Apr-06, 17:21
She must have escaped whilst waiting to be spayed. Accidents do happen!!:p

teuchter
03-Apr-06, 17:26
No sianymo thats not Fido. You'll know its him because hes got a bow in his tail and is very friendly. Sometimes to friendly but usually a wallop on the top of his head with a rolled up newspaper gets him to leave your leg alone.Please dont phone the dogwarden because i'm sure those arent his droppings outside your gate and im not coming up there to move them as Fido is litter tray trained. You'll just have to treat them as mini roundabouts and give way to traffic from the right.

Rheghead
03-Apr-06, 17:27
I just couldn't leave it lying there so I phoned the council

Was it a trunk call?

I bet it was a thankless tusk lifting that elephant away.

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 17:51
No sianymo thats not Fido. You'll know its him because hes got a bow in his tail and is very friendly. Sometimes to friendly but usually a wallop on the top of his head with a rolled up newspaper gets him to leave your leg alone.Please dont phone the dogwarden because i'm sure those arent his droppings outside your gate and im not coming up there to move them as Fido is litter tray trained. You'll just have to treat them as mini roundabouts and give way to traffic from the right.

Should that not be "elephant warden"?

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 17:52
Was it a trunk call?

I bet it was a thankless tusk lifting that elephant away.

Why are you PUNishing us like this. It's not my bleedin' elephant!!!!

teuchter
03-Apr-06, 18:14
Should that not be "elephant warden"?

Its no wonder the council tax is going up if they've had to hire an elephant warden. Theres surely not that many irresponsible elephant owners are there?Or are all alephant owners as careless as me? And do the council supply poop scoops and bags for tidying up behind them because im running out of tattie sacks.

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 18:23
Its no wonder the council tax is going up if they've had to hire an elephant warden. Theres surely not that many irresponsible elephant owners are there?Or are all alephant owners as careless as me? And do the council supply poop scoops and bags for tidying up behind them because im running out of tattie sacks.

Mini JCB's I believe, supplied by Pat Grant

teuchter
03-Apr-06, 20:00
Thanks for all the pm's showing concern for Fido. Thankfully he's turned up safe and well although slightly hungry and shaken after his ordeal. A neighbour found him sitting in there birdbath having a wee paddle.Poor things scared of heights and we had to entice him down using the neighbours cat as bait.Were just so glad to have him home and as i type hes lieing on the foot of my bed gnawing on a suspicious looking bone.

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 20:14
We could convert the old brewery in Mansons Lane into an elephant sanctuary if this situation gets any worse. We had none of this elephant problem before Dounreay!!!!!!

teuchter
03-Apr-06, 20:25
Would it be possible to attach a boarding kennels to the sanctuary. Im finding that the local kennels and cattery are no longer kean to have Fido stay there. Aparently his flatulance keeps the other animals awake at night.And as yet i havent found a strong enough dog guard to keep him in the boot if we take him with us. Its apparently a criminal offence to drive a car with an elephant sticking its head out of the window.

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 20:38
Would it be possible to attach a boarding kennels to the sanctuary. Im finding that the local kennels and cattery are no longer kean to have Fido stay there. Aparently his flatulance keeps the other animals awake at night.And as yet i havent found a strong enough dog guard to keep him in the boot if we take him with us. Its apparently a criminal offence to drive a car with an elephant sticking its head out of the window.
Aye,we could build them on that land where the houses have just been knocked down in Manson's Lane.

DW
03-Apr-06, 22:05

Apparently, quite a number of people ARE laughing.

However, to show I am not completely unfeeling (haha) here is a picture of how to turn a cat into an elephant

http://www.petoffice.co.jp/takuhai/ippan/catprin/elephant/cat_255.jpg

candyfloss
03-Apr-06, 22:45

Your not the only one doyle.
Im not laughing either[evil]

D Edge
04-Apr-06, 08:56
I think the original post was hilarious, best laugh on here for ages. Cat people chill out, it was only a bit of fun. Puuurrrrrr Puuuurrrrrr !!

Chillie
05-Apr-06, 04:04
[quote=DW]I came across a dead elephant at the top end of Henrietta Street this morning.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20010823/nat.jpg

Ahaaa, my poor wee cousin she's been missing for week's:~( :~( :~(

Chillie
05-Apr-06, 04:30
Thought I would show you a happy snap of the family:Razz :Razz

http://dl2.davesdaily.com/pictures11/348-coolpet.jpg

It's my little niece. :lol: