PDA

View Full Version : Caithness to Aberdeen by road and back again.

Rheghead
09-Sep-09, 00:42
12 hours sat behind the wheel was no fun. I could have flown but would have cost £750 last minute for 3. If there was a road that needs dualling before the A9 then it has to be the A96!!

It's just round the corner, no? doh!

theone
09-Sep-09, 00:49
I do it regularly.

I can't see it being toatally upgraded anytime soon.

Bypassing Nairn/Fochabers and particularly Elgin would be a huge improvement.

joxville
09-Sep-09, 00:59
What you need is a bridge built from Latheron to Fraserburgh. It's only 65 miles as the crow seagull flies. :)

camor
09-Sep-09, 01:19
Do it regularly myself. Just got to go with the flow, no point trying to break records as you just get frustrated. Could do with upgrading though.

Fran
09-Sep-09, 02:53
I am going to Fraserburgh on 7th October for a few days if anyone wants a lift.

Invisible
09-Sep-09, 09:43
What you need is a bridge built from Latheron to Fraserburgh. It's only 65 miles as the crow seagull flies. :)

I totally agree.

achingale
09-Sep-09, 10:02

Sounds like an excellent idea!

dirdyweeker
09-Sep-09, 12:59
With the 40% discount to Caithnessians the flight i checked out last night is only £93 return. I say only but to be honest it is not too bad compared to the time spent behind a wheel.
Totally love the idea of a bridge but canna see anything like that happening in my day.

ciderally
09-Sep-09, 14:23
in the year 2525 if man is still alive......that bridge might happen.... tee hee...none of us lot will see it thats for sure

George Brims
09-Sep-09, 22:21
Last time I drove the A96 I was driving to Aberdeen airport from Inverness. It was the early morning (first flight to Amsterdam) and there was hardly another car the whole way, but good grief what a horrible drive. The thin rain that fell most of the way didn't help. I really was convinced mid-journey that I should have left about an hour earlier. And who owns the petrol station right next to the airport exit? Some genius for sure. The blooming place was closed even though there were several people cruising about hoping to fill up their rental cars before returning them. In case this happens to you, there's an all-night place one or two roundabouts towards the city.

Rheghead
09-Sep-09, 22:30
With the 40% discount to Caithnessians the flight i checked out last night is only £93 return. I say only but to be honest it is not too bad compared to the time spent behind a wheel.

give me a link plz?:confused

Anne x
09-Sep-09, 22:54
Huge difference in the A96 from when I used to travel from college in the late 70s
We went north to Thurso on friday in all the Moray floods so sad only added 60mins to our journey and believe me that was ploughing through the floods in Elgin so from Westhill to Inverness 2hrs 30 mins stopover for pee north to Thurso less than 2 1/2 hrs no speeding no risks and another stopover in spittal I think the A96 although could be improved and should be bypass Fochabers and Keith overtaking lanes big plus

Rheghead
09-Sep-09, 23:01
By my maths it took an average 35 mph to get to Aberdeen and back. It must have been all those pesky roundabouts on the A96!!

Anne x
09-Sep-09, 23:05
probably most of them at Elgin a multitude of them roundabouts that is

dirdyweeker
09-Sep-09, 23:28
give me a link plz?:confused

the link is http://www.airdiscountscheme.com (http://www.airdiscountscheme.com/)

Rheghead
10-Sep-09, 00:38
the link is http://www.airdiscountscheme.com (http://www.airdiscountscheme.com/)

I got that, can you give a link to say that a return flight to Aberdeen costs £93 even with discount card?

I get £333 return per person.

dragonfly
10-Sep-09, 09:04
My husband uses Eastern along with his ADS card and its usually under £100 return trip if booked a few weeks in advance and as said above it beats driving

Eastern Airways ADS logon (http://www.planitas-onlined2.com/Eastern2/HTML/ads.html)

here's an example of a £93 return flight in mid october returning next day (though he's 2 weeks later when booking normally)

Adults
Web Fare 85.00
Taxes and charges 42.50
ADS Discount (34.00)
Passengers 1
Totals 93.50

Total to Pay 93.50 GBP

and for a cheaper option he'll take the train down (£12.80 single Thurso to Aberdeen) and fly back which can be as cheap as £49 for a single flight from Aberdeen to Wick

theone
10-Sep-09, 15:21
I got that, can you give a link to say that a return flight to Aberdeen costs £93 even with discount card?

I get £333 return per person.

Book in advance and it's £93.

I use it once a month.

Mr P Cannop
10-Sep-09, 15:59
any one got the return prices from wick - edinburgh and back to wick ??

balto
10-Sep-09, 16:02
i mind doing the aberdeen to thurso trip just after i had my son 5 weeks early, thankfully i got flown down as it was an emergency, dont think i could have handled that road twice, my oh and his friend who kindly offered to pick us up did boh journeys in 1 day.

theone
10-Sep-09, 16:30
Prices for Edinburgh next month:

Departing
Wed 11 Nov 2009 Depart 12:05 Arrive 13:05 Wick (WIC) to Edinburgh (EDI) Fare 13.20 GBP Taxes and Charges 14.10 GBP Seats GBP Bags 0.00 GBP Coming back
Sun 15 Nov 2009 Depart 14:00 Arrive 15:10 Edinburgh (EDI) to Wick (WIC) Fare 13.20 GBP Taxes and Charges 19.20 GBP Seats GBP Bags 0.00 GBP Insurance (inc. IPT tax) GBP Car hire GBP Booking Fee GBP Credit Card Supplement GBP Discount funded by Loganair GBP Total so far (GBP 59.70)

camor
11-Sep-09, 01:52
Book in advance and it's £93.

I use it once a month.

Yep, me too. Left it a bit late this month though and got stung for £169.

cullbucket
11-Sep-09, 13:45
Well, after living in Aberdeen for a long time, I started taking the alternate route to Inverness up Strathdon and over the Lecht, through Cockbridge / Tomintoul and Granton. You join the A9 just after Aviemore and its mostly Dual the rest of the way to Inverness. I reckon that road takes around the same time as the A96, sometimes faster, sometimes slower I reckoned about 2 hr 15min but absolutely beautiful scenery and empty roads. It turns the trip into a pleasure insead of an ordeal. Need to watch the weather in winter and unfortunately the roads do not work well with Bairns who get carsick.... I would 100% recommend that route - I never take the A96 unless I absolutely have to.
I hope that living in Reay you took the road down through Halladale down to Helmsdale - that is another beautiful road and probably just as quick too or close enough....

northener
11-Sep-09, 14:15
Prices for Edinburgh next month:

Departing
Wed 11 Nov 2009 Depart 12:05 Arrive 13:05 Wick (WIC) to Edinburgh (EDI) Fare 13.20 GBP Taxes and Charges 14.10 GBP Seats GBP Bags 0.00 GBP Coming back
Sun 15 Nov 2009 Depart 14:00 Arrive 15:10 Edinburgh (EDI) to Wick (WIC) Fare 13.20 GBP Taxes and Charges 19.20 GBP Seats GBP Bags 0.00 GBP Insurance (inc. IPT tax) GBP Car hire GBP Booking Fee GBP Credit Card Supplement GBP Discount funded by Loganair GBP Total so far (GBP 59.70)

A flight back from Edin to Wick on a Sunday?????????? Is this a new service?

MileHigh
11-Sep-09, 17:12
A flight back from Edin to Wick on a Sunday?????????? Is this a new service?

Yes it is, Good to see we are able to get out of the County at the weekend again after
they stopped the saturday service several years ago. Well Done Loganair Hope everybody
makes use of it and it can become a pemanent service.

Sunday Service

Depart Edinburgh : 14:00
Arrive Wick : 15:10
Depart Wick : 15:35
Arrive Edinburgh : 16:40

EDDIE
12-Sep-09, 10:10
Well, after living in Aberdeen for a long time, I started taking the alternate route to Inverness up Strathdon and over the Lecht, through Cockbridge / Tomintoul and Granton. You join the A9 just after Aviemore and its mostly Dual the rest of the way to Inverness. I reckon that road takes around the same time as the A96, sometimes faster, sometimes slower I reckoned about 2 hr 15min but absolutely beautiful scenery and empty roads. It turns the trip into a pleasure insead of an ordeal. Need to watch the weather in winter and unfortunately the roads do not work well with Bairns who get carsick.... I would 100% recommend that route - I never take the A96 unless I absolutely have to.
I hope that living in Reay you took the road down through Halladale down to Helmsdale - that is another beautiful road and probably just as quick too or close enough....

I have went that way once to inverness it is good senery and does take about the same time time as going on the usual route another alternative route if your going to inverness from aberdeen is travel to huntly and about a 2 minute drive past huntly you take a left to dufftown and carry straight on to granton on spey it takes the same time as well and has got good senery as well and u can see all the distillarys.
if u have a tom tom and input aberdeen to inverness alternative route it does show these routes well worth doing

northener
12-Sep-09, 11:42
Yes it is, Good to see we are able to get out of the County at the weekend again after
they stopped the saturday service several years ago. Well Done Loganair Hope everybody
makes use of it and it can become a pemanent service.

Sunday Service

Depart Edinburgh : 14:00
Arrive Wick : 15:10
Depart Wick : 15:35
Arrive Edinburgh : 16:40

Good!

So, who's for saturday night on the lash in Embra?