PDA

View Full Version : Ali Bain and Phil Cunningham

Stavro
09-Sep-09, 00:09
Excellent Scottish music and culture tonight in the Assembly Rooms, Wick. Ali Bain, Phil Cunningham and friends.

Wonderful entertainment!

:)

joxville
09-Sep-09, 00:15
Ali Bain & Phil Cunningham always make me think of Hogmanay, the BBC, Jackie Bird wi' a wee dram or three and ringing in the New Year....a programme I do my damnest to avoid.

Anne x
09-Sep-09, 00:18
Ali Bain & Phil Cunningham always make me think of Hogmanay, the BBC, Jackie Bird wi' a wee dram or three and ringing in the New Year....a programme I do my damnest to avoid.

Artistes fine with me but compere could be worse Lorraine Kelly spilling out of a frock in Edinburgh

joxville
09-Sep-09, 00:24
Artistes fine with me but compere could be worse Lorraine Kelly spilling out of a frock in Edinburgh

Lorraine Kelly spilling out of a frock........:eek:

I'll have nightmares now.

Anne x
09-Sep-09, 00:25
Lorraine Kelly spilling out of a frock........:eek:

I'll have nightmares now.
hogmanay broadcast many years ago in a gale in Edinburgh frock was a size to small :(

joxville
09-Sep-09, 00:28
hogmanay broadcast many years ago in a gale in Edinburgh frock was a size to small :(

She didn't have enough Edinburgh frock cos she ate too much Edinburgh rock. :)

Anne x
09-Sep-09, 00:34
She didn't have enough Edinburgh frock cos she ate too much Edinburgh rock. :)

pmsl --------------------

Camra
10-Sep-09, 22:17
Lorraines frock was a vast improvement on an outfit Jackie Bird wore a couple of years ago. Gracious that woman needs a good plate of mince n' tatties.

Anne x
11-Sep-09, 01:00
Lorraines frock was a vast improvement on an outfit Jackie Bird wore a couple of years ago. Gracious that woman needs a good plate of mince n' tatties.
and Lorraine Kelly needs a good diet

my sincere apogies stavro for going off topic all the best for your show it will be a wonderful night with the best entertainment with Ali Bain and Phil Cunningham

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Sep-09, 13:34
Phil and Ally have to be the most boring, insipid musical duo I've ever seen.

Mystical Potato Head
11-Sep-09, 18:22

They might be boring to you(and me most of the time) but one thing is for sure,they are both extremely talented musicians and among the best on the planet at what they do.
Its not my cup of tea but then i think Oasis is the most boring and insipid Beatles tribute band ever.;)

chocolatechip
11-Sep-09, 19:29
Hi didn't hear that Phil and Ali where coming up here. And did't see it go across there banner for what was happening in caithness. What time where they playing in the assembly rooms? And how did you get tickets?

Stavro
11-Sep-09, 23:45
Hi didn't hear that Phil and Ali where coming up here. And did't see it go across there banner for what was happening in caithness. What time where they playing in the assembly rooms? And how did you get tickets?

The show started at 7.30 PM. Ali and Phil came on in the second half. I agree that it was not too well advertised, but the place was full all the same! Tickets could be bought in several ways, including online.

But this is all irrelevant now, because they've gone to Belgium.

©Amethyst
12-Sep-09, 00:04

The gold top.... ewww. that was disgusting

buddyrich
12-Sep-09, 00:16

How right you are.

I've seen, heard and been fortunate enough to have the odd tune with some of scotlands finest traditional musicians and the fact that those two tedious booze hounds represent traditional, contemporary scottish music is ridiculous.

Almost as tragic as the fact that they're the token consideration to trad music during the separate horror show that is the hogmany coverage. There are fiddlers and accordionists gigging regularly who are far beyond that pair in terms of technique, artistry and entertainment value.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 00:30

I wonder if you will relay your opinion to them post-haste; and when so doing allow them a privileged opportunity to observe a true genius at work, advising them on adjustment to the idiom defined by yourself, celebrated high tide mark of the zeitgeist so you are!

Luckily your own stilted, cliched meanderings are not up for comparison as the product of a duo.

Stavro
12-Sep-09, 00:41
... the fact that those two tedious booze hounds represent traditional, contemporary scottish music is ridiculous.

Almost as tragic as the fact that they're the token consideration to trad music during the separate horror show that is the hogmany coverage. There are fiddlers and accordionists gigging regularly who are far beyond that pair in terms of technique, artistry and entertainment value.

Your post is simply rubbish, as was evidenced by the full house, sorry. :D

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 00:46
Well now I have to take issue with the idea of rubbishing someone's opinion on the basis of the general population's taste..

I mean, if the X Factor did a round in Wick, would that mean we are not allowed to give the right opinion on that show just because the proles all went out to audition?

I think not.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 00:50
and at the same time I will say to you Buddyrich, that I am not a fiddle player, and you know that, and not even much of any kind of player, but much better men and musicians than you will tell you that Aly Bain is internationally regarded for his technique, and you of all people should not get so sloppy with your critique.

Stavro
12-Sep-09, 00:55
... would that mean we are not allowed to give the right opinion on ...

I suppose that by, "the right opinion," you mean "your opinion"?

Being representative of a certain type of music is not "ridiculous," as the poster claimed, but supported by weight of numbers.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 00:58
My reference to "right opinion" was regarding the example I gave, X Factor.

My opinions on Aly Bain would be slightly different, seeing as he is familiar enough to be thought of as family to me.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 01:00
In fact, in view of how may drunken nights he spent with my family, let us see how my hair loss develops before we call the jury back in on whether he is my father.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 01:01
I wonder if you will relay your opinion to them post-haste; and when so doing allow them a privileged opportunity to observe a true genius at work, advising them on adjustment to the idiom defined by yourself, celebrated high tide mark of the zeitgeist so you are!

Luckily your own stilted, cliched meanderings are not up for comparison as the product of a duo.

Ally's an OK fiddle player. He's also a sleaze. And a drunk. I'd have no problems saying that to his face, as I've said it before.

Phil is a great man, a decent player, too. Does a lot of good work for Folk music, even if his pension plan is a little dubious. Always good craic at a session whenever he feels like joining in.

Together, their turgid, life-sapping shabal rammy is about as fun as rolling in nettles.

I couldn't care less what they think of me, and am sure - as already indicated by Ally - that he could care less about me also.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 01:05
Well I wonder how that conversation went last time you told them that??

I will look forward to hearing what they think of you from their own mouths.

I don't think they are classless enough to talk about other musicians, regardless how junior, in their absence, in a public place.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 01:06
"Ally's an OK fiddle player"

You really are a sad little man.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 01:19
Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham

Dr Phil Cunningham MBE
Widely regarded as one of the most exciting and innovative accordion players of the times, Phil Cunningham has taken this instrument from strength to strength, setting the standards by which many young players fix their sights today.

Phil’s early work with leading Scots band Silly Wizard (1976-1986) reclaimed a place for the accordion in the traditional music world.
The accordion being only one of the strings to his bow, as a multi-instrumentalist he works extensively in television and film as a composer, musical director and presenter. He is much sought after as a record producer and he manages to juggle all of these diverse commitments enabling him to continue touring and recording with long time musical partner and friend Aly Bain.

Dr Aly Bain MBE
Aly Bain is Scotland's supreme traditional style fiddler. His playing is unique - driving, impassioned and pure - with vibrant, unmistakable tone that has earned him a following of ardent fans throughout the world. Born in Lerwick, Shetland in 1946 Aly began playing the fiddle at the age of eleven. In his early twenties, Aly headed to mainland Scotland. His dramatic playing, with great tone and technical ability brought early recognition as an outstanding musician of the folk music revival, and almost overnight, raised the level of expectation for music lovers throughout the country.

Aly and Phil have toured annually together since 1988 and have recorded six albums together.These ambassadors of Scottish music have both been awarded MBEs and doctorates for their services to Scottish Music. In 2003 Phil was voted Best Instrumentalist in the Scottish Traditional Music Awards. In 2005 they were awarded Best Duo in the BBC Folk Awards and Phil was awarded 'Composer of the Year' at the 2007 ST

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 01:37
Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham

Dr Phil Cunningham MBE
Widely regarded as one of the most exciting and innovative accordion players of the times, Phil Cunningham has taken this instrument from strength to strength, setting the standards by which many young players fix their sights today.

Phil’s early work with leading Scots band Silly Wizard (1976-1986) reclaimed a place for the accordion in the traditional music world.
The accordion being only one of the strings to his bow, as a multi-instrumentalist he works extensively in television and film as a composer, musical director and presenter. He is much sought after as a record producer and he manages to juggle all of these diverse commitments enabling him to continue touring and recording with long time musical partner and friend Aly Bain.

Dr Aly Bain MBE
Aly Bain is Scotland's supreme traditional style fiddler. His playing is unique - driving, impassioned and pure - with vibrant, unmistakable tone that has earned him a following of ardent fans throughout the world. Born in Lerwick, Shetland in 1946 Aly began playing the fiddle at the age of eleven. In his early twenties, Aly headed to mainland Scotland. His dramatic playing, with great tone and technical ability brought early recognition as an outstanding musician of the folk music revival, and almost overnight, raised the level of expectation for music lovers throughout the country.

Aly and Phil have toured annually together since 1988 and have recorded six albums together.These ambassadors of Scottish music have both been awarded MBEs and doctorates for their services to Scottish Music. In 2003 Phil was voted Best Instrumentalist in the Scottish Traditional Music Awards. In 2005 they were awarded Best Duo in the BBC Folk Awards and Phil was awarded 'Composer of the Year' at the 2007 ST

A job in PR awaits thee...

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 01:38
Well if ye can get a job in journalism there is hope for all of us..

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 01:45
Well if ye can get a job in journalism there is hope for all of us..

And with a skin as thin as yours, am not surprised you don't play music publicly.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 01:50
I have and perhaps to a rather greater extent than you might be aware of.

But that has nothing to do with my position.

You are simply a bit of a negative .

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 01:58
In your opinion.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 02:02
..and whose opinion would I be giving except my own?

trinkie
12-Sep-09, 08:51
I think it's a case of 'Music speaks louder than words'

We appear to have accumulated rather a lot of Loud Mouths here recently which is sad for Caithness.org .

may67
12-Sep-09, 18:52
Why does it always end in a slaging session on here.?
I enjoyed the night very much, as did the kids i had with me.
Whether one is a drunk, or not ,,,what the heck does that matter? i dont judge him on anything but the music i hear with my ears!!!

Live and let live for peats sake......one persons steak is another mans burger.