PDA

View Full Version : Some questions! :o)

ShelleyCowie
08-Sep-09, 20:47
Eek its a job and a half!

Question 1!

How often should you bath a cat? I know people say never to bath a cat but i do it because they are outdoor cats and they get alot of dirt in their fur. I dont do it alot because i dont want them to loose the minerals in their coats. Maybe once every 8 weeks i will just give them a wash. Their paws get a wipe down with a wet cloth when they come in sometimes if they have mud stuck in there!

So how often should i be doing it?

Question 2

Brenon and Fintan both have had fleas (after the worms its not been fun here)

They always have flea collars on which i change every 4 months. And when i noticed they had fleas i took the collars off and used "spot on" because it says not to have a flea collar on them. But every single day they come in.....without a doubt there is fleas, then later at night there is none! And its definetely fleas! The bouncy little suckers! They have their flea collars on just now so could the fleas be killed short after attaching?

Phew that was long winded...sorry! But i cant keep them if this is going to continue because of Athrun having asthma and he is on the floor crawling. Surely the cats are dropping flea dirt quite often???????

Im done.....for now! :eek:

Vistravi
08-Sep-09, 23:16
Well on bathing a cat only thing i could say would be is how much do they hate it or how much of you do they tear out?

Caramel would tear me to bits if i bathed her:eek:

Thought you weren't supposed to bathe them due to their nostrels(sp) being easy to fill with water but um for mud suppose you'd have to ;) We showered Taj briefly when he came in stinking of rain one day, he looked like a drowned rat, he was comical and oh so mad:lol:

Fleas um perhaps they're coming into contact with a cat that has them outside everyday hence why they have them in the morning but not at night as i know you put them out at night. A nite comb? Maybe track them sometimes and look out for cats that are always around?

unicorn
09-Sep-09, 09:16
If other cats are using your shed that is probably moving with them. It is great to give strays somewhere to go but that is now impacting on your own cats. I don't use supermarket products as I dont think they are strong enough. If they have fleas they are already in your house and it will need to be sprayed as they can live a long time and hatch months later. You get tins of stuff from the vets to use and I found it very good many moons ago when my dog got fleas while visiting the vets (I heard the woman sitting next to me tell her dog it was naughty for having fleas as I went into the examining room).

ffg
09-Sep-09, 10:22
:Dthe vet will give you profender for worms which is an effective spot on i use this on the cats every 4 weeks as they hunt all the time and spot on for the fleas every 4 - 6 weeks to keep them clean and not sure you should need to bath a cat unless it has something harmful on its coat like diesel or oil etc

Liz
09-Sep-09, 12:55
Shelley I have had cats all my life and have never bathed any.

The only time I would attempt this would be if they got something like oil on their coats which would harm them.

I would recommend you get an ionising brush which you can get on Ebay. This cleans the coats and also helps with fleas.:D

Liz
09-Sep-09, 13:49
Here you go Shelley. http://www.youreableshop.co.uk/product/ionic-pet-brush-with-ultrasonic-flea-repeller-HH2040.html

There weren't any on Ebay.

teenybash
09-Sep-09, 15:22
Shelley it sounds as if the pussycats are picking up the little blighters outside. If there is anywhere they are going...the shed....that may well where the itchy jumpers are lurking and it would need to be done with powder to clear it...............also plenty of hoovering around house, down sofa backs and chairs. Collars and spot on will be the cause of them disappearing when they come in.........so it definately makes me think it is where the cats have come from..................;)

ShelleyCowie
09-Sep-09, 22:44
Thanks liz i will get one of them! I have a brush for them but not like that!

We are going to block off the shed aswell and clear out the bedding in there. We know that a good few cats use out shed as a shelter sometimes, i will feel bad covering up the wee hole but i cant be having fleas here!

I tend to bath them because they come in caked in mud and things, fintans coat is alot harder to maintain than Brenons. He has very thick fur.

I hoover every day anyway, i dont mind when i have my henry by my side! [lol]

Thanks folks!