PDA

View Full Version : College Bus Passes

Gizmo
08-Sep-09, 18:28
Is there anyone out there in Orgerville that can tell me the correct information regarding Bus Passes for Thurso College?
My son has just started an HNC computing course at Thurso college and he can't seem to get the same answer twice about what he is entitled to, he doesn't have any income and he was told by the student advisor in the college that he's not entitled to a buss pass, yet plenty of other students seem to have one, we can't seem to get a straight answer about what he's entitled to, so i'm hoping there might be someone on here that can point us in the right direction.

celtic1888
08-Sep-09, 18:36
The rule is,
If you live more than 3 miles away from the campus in thurso that you are entitled to having a bus pass.
He should have got a bursary book (if he's over 18), or an EMA book (if he's under 18) to see what he's entitled to. This should have been completed and returned asap after he got it.
Everyone i know from wick has a bus pass.
Your son is 100% entitled to one.
If you cant get a straight answer, phone the reception and ask to talk to someone about getting a meeting with them.
Also, tell him to keep his bus passes, this way the college should pay back what they owe you.

redeyedtreefrog
08-Sep-09, 18:50
I have a question, but think it may be worth adding it here instead of using a whole thread for it.

How much is the fare for the Wick town service bus, from Staxigoe to Tesco?

groater
08-Sep-09, 19:09
not exactly sure but i dont think every student entitled to bus pass depends on course??

hardcore superstar
09-Sep-09, 08:58
A HNC is a higher education course. All funding/assistance for this comes from SAAS. Therefore, no bus pass from the College.

Bursary's and EMA's are only for students who are doing further education courses. If eligible, these students will receive bus passes.

dirdyweeker
09-Sep-09, 13:06
If your son is doing an HNC that is funded by SAAS he needs to log onto their website come December. There will be an online form to complete to reclaim his bus fares. He will not get the first £150 but will be able to reclaim the rest.
Hope this helps.

ciderally
09-Sep-09, 14:19
sounds as if its really simple.....yea

Gizmo
09-Sep-09, 14:33
Thanks for all the replies.

weeksider
09-Sep-09, 18:20
Was on the bus the other morning to college and it was way over crowded :(
Some students came on bus saying the hand not received there pass yet and driver let them on.

Gizmo
09-Sep-09, 18:52
sounds as if its really simple.....yea

Tell me about it, they certainly DON'T make it easy for students, he's applied for both SAAS funding and EMA, but god knows how long they will take to be processed, his EMA for last year took over 3 months to come through. So in the meantime we have to find around £30 a week for Bus fares and his lunch, and i simply do not have that amount of money to give, for the 3 of us (me,mrs giz,and my son) we get by on one full time wage and a small amount of tax credits, we don't have a single bit of debt, but there's still hardly enough to get by on each month, it just hardly seems fair that he has to somehow magic up the money to allow him to attend college.

kilmore
10-Sep-09, 19:29
There are discretionary funds available for Further Education Students and Higher Education students to assist students who are experiencing financial difficulties. Ask to see Student Advisor at the College who will assist.

Gizmo
10-Sep-09, 20:16
There are discretionary funds available for Further Education Students and Higher Education students to assist students who are experiencing financial difficulties. Ask to see Student Advisor at the College who will assist.

Hi, is that basically a student loan?

cuddlepop
10-Sep-09, 21:51

I would imagine its the same as "the hardship grant" that my daughter could apply for twice a year but then again she was living away from home.:confused

kilmore
10-Sep-09, 21:52
These discretionary funds are not loans.

laguna2
10-Sep-09, 22:16

No, a student loan is something entirely different ... it has to be paid back once the student starts work and is earning a certain amount (can't remember how much)

Suggest that an appointment is made with the student advisor in the College. All will be explained and any help available will be pinpointed.

Gizmo
22-Sep-09, 12:23
No, a student loan is something entirely different ... it has to be paid back once the student starts work and is earning a certain amount (can't remember how much)

Suggest that an appointment is made with the student advisor in the College. All will be explained and any help available will be pinpointed.

Just a little update on this, my son spoke to the student advisor who told him that these discretionary funds are only available to students who have taken out a student loan, so we're no further on, it would seem the only way he will be able to stay at college is to get himself into debt :(

Connor.
22-Sep-09, 12:34
I'm doing the same course as your son, so no doubt he'll be in my class. I live in Halkirk and because i'm doing it part time I have to get in at odd hours so it's hard to get transport. I'm also unemployed so it makes it harder finding the £2.35 to get into town for just 2 hours. I could do with a bus pass aswell. Let me know how your son gets on, i'll be quick to get one after him.

Gizmo
22-Sep-09, 13:23
I'm doing the same course as your son, so no doubt he'll be in my class. I live in Halkirk and because i'm doing it part time I have to get in at odd hours so it's hard to get transport. I'm also unemployed so it makes it harder finding the £2.35 to get into town for just 2 hours. I could do with a bus pass aswell. Let me know how your son gets on, i'll be quick to get one after him.

For the HNC Computing course, there is no bus pass provided, you have to apply for funding through SAAS, and then claim your bus expenses back, but they don't pay the first £160.
The SAAS funding is applied for, but as yet, we've heard nothing from them, and we're led to believe that it could take months.

Connor.
22-Sep-09, 14:22
Ah, I'm a part time student and i'm going to be going through ILA(which funds up to £200) so I may be able to get one then.

Matthew
22-Sep-09, 14:54
A HNC is a higher education course. All funding/assistance for this comes from SAAS. Therefore, no bus pass from the College.

Bursary's and EMA's are only for students who are doing further education courses. If eligible, these students will receive bus passes.

I had a free bus pass when I was studying HNC Computing and I lived over 3 miles away. :confused

kilmore
27-Sep-09, 20:30
If you are studying part-time at HNC Level or above you may be eligible for 500 pound ILA.

kilmore
27-Sep-09, 20:33
If you are on part-time study at HNC level and in receipt of benefits or ILA you may be able to get assistance with bus fares - check with student advisor at College

girnigoe
29-Aug-10, 18:49
Just wondering how you got on with this last year? Im having the same probs with my daughter this year.

tartanyorkie
30-Aug-10, 07:54
We would like to know as well. Son starts HNC this morning and it is going to cost a fortune from Reay as well.

tartanyorkie
31-Aug-10, 08:28
HNC students have to pay their own fares which we accept. He has nothing on a Thursday but a twilight course from 5 to 8 though, which is a bit inconvenient. They have cut the buses from Reay to Thurso, so he has to go in at 8.20 in the morning to get there. I just wish we could move into town.

porshiepoo
31-Aug-10, 08:46
HNC students have to pay their own fares which we accept. He has nothing on a Thursday but a twilight course from 5 to 8 though, which is a bit inconvenient. They have cut the buses from Reay to Thurso, so he has to go in at 8.20 in the morning to get there. I just wish we could move into town.

The bus situation is a joke up here.
Both my daughters have to get the bus that leaves Lybster just after 7am to get to Wick to get a connecting bus to college. At least they get a lift from college to the Equestrian centre though.
On the way back they have a choice of either hanging round college till gone 5pm (they finish at 4pm) to get a bus that will bring them all the way back to Lybster for just after 6pm or they can get an earlier bus from college and sit in Wick town for 40 minutes to wait for the connecting bus home (which still doesn't get them home till quarter past six)

Either way it's a long old journey for them and especially harsh in the middle of winter on cold dark nights. :(

They got a bus pass last year (their first year) but we don't seem to be able to get answers from either college or SAAS about this years pass.

cothruim
26-Sep-11, 19:14
hi there i am doing a HNC course on computing and i live in halkirk the story is if u r doing the HNC course u dont get a bus pass u only get a bus pass if u r doing the NC course but u cant get the discretionary funding unless u applyed for the full funding i tried getting it cause my saas bursery hasent come through yet

hope this helps you

RecQuery
27-Sep-11, 14:01
Allegedly the trick with SAAS travel expenses is to over estimate the cost, you're technically entitled to four single trips a day for five days a week on a bus (at least back in 2009). I've never met anyone who has been asked for proof (tickets etc) and that includes friends claiming about £700 for travelling to Shetland from the Dundee/St Andrews area.

kilmore
02-Oct-11, 12:13
Travel expenses are now included in the student loan. More info on www.saas.gov.uk

kilmore
02-Oct-11, 12:18
SAAS is the funding body for students studying at HNC and above. The College hold the Discretionary Fund for HNC level and above. Students must have applied for the full student loan. If in doubt speak to somebody at the College regarding funding - they will be pleased to advise you.

North Highland College
03-Oct-11, 11:37
Just to clarify the situation:
Further Education students who are either 16 or 17 can apply for an EMA. The EMA is means tested, however all these students are entitled to travel.

Further Education students who are 18 or over on the start date of their course can apply for a Bursary. The bursary and travel expenses are means tested.

Any Higher Education student (HNC or above) can apply to SAAS for funding. SAAS have changed the way they pay travel expenses this year and have incorporated travel into the student loan. For more information on SAAS please check out their website www.saas.gov.uk
(http://www.saas.gov.uk)The College does hold a discretionary fund for both FE and HE students. Students can apply for this fund and forms can be found at College Reception.

If any students have questions regarding their funding please speak to a member of the Support for Learners staff. Appointments can be made with a student advisor through a diary held at the College Reception.

Funding applications are processed in date order. Every attempt is made to process these applications within 20 days. However where paperwork and details are missing from the application, processing will be delayed.

Hope this helps!