PDA

View Full Version : Things that glow in the dark

Kevin Milkins
07-Sep-09, 23:49
We went for a walk down to Reiss beach tonight at about 10pm and it was a lovely evening for a stroll with the tide being out, when Casper started his usual trick of dragging large clumps of seaweed to us.

We and a torch with us but, it was light enough to see where we were going with it switched off and noticed a clump of seaweed with what looked like hundreds of glow worms attached to it and wriggling like very small tadpoles.

When we turned the torch on we could see no evidence of them at all and yet with the light out I could see them on the toe of my wellington and on Casper’s snout.:eek:
If I was on the other coast I may have suspected nuclear waste or something and although we had a good look around, it was just on this one piece of seaweed. I am sure there is a perfectly rational explanation for it, but it was a bit spooky and something I had never seen before.
Does anyone know what it might have been?

Metalattakk
08-Sep-09, 00:05
If I was on the other coast I may have suspected nuclear waste or something...</snip>

You do know that radioactive waste doesn't glow in the dark, don't you?

"The Simpson's" isn't real life either. ;)

Kevin Milkins
08-Sep-09, 00:22
You do know that radioactive waste doesn't glow in the dark, don't you?

"The Simpson's" isn't real life either. ;)

No, I didn't know that Metalattakk, but I do now though.:roll::lol:

northener
08-Sep-09, 08:29
A lot of things like plankton and simple creatures like....nooo, don't say it......resist......sea gooseberrys are phospherent(sp?) - we've had a huge amount of micro creatures in the water around our Northern coast this year.

You can see the effect better at sea where there's absolutely no light pollution, some of the effects of these creatures are absolutely stunning. Well spotted, Kev.

It's either that or Alien babies.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Sep-09, 08:48

Id go for the Alien babies. :Razz It will make a much more interesting topic for us orgers to have a go at.

That said we can have a go at any topic. :eek:

Kevin Milkins
08-Sep-09, 08:48
A lot of things like plankton and simple creatures like....nooo, don't say it......resist......sea gooseberrys are phospherent(sp?) - we've had a huge amount of micro creatures in the water around our Northern coast this year.

You can see the effect better at sea where there's absolutely no light pollution, some of the effects of these creatures are absolutely stunning. Well spotted, Kev.

Thanks for that explanation northener, I will will go along with that.:Razz

I am pleased that someone credible has replied as I was starting to wish I did not mention it for fear of looking like a story teller. :confused

Mr's M tells me this morning that it was not seaweed, but a piece of kelp.:eek:

©Amethyst
08-Sep-09, 11:05
Alien babies sounds like a far more fun explination.

Hmmm... I thought Kelp was a type of seaweed? :\ I think I need to go back to school!

scotsboy
08-Sep-09, 12:04
Bioluminescence.

http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~biolum/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioluminescence

ciderally
08-Sep-09, 14:53
alien babies......glowing in the dark seaweed....what you lot on????? tee hee