PDA

View Full Version : house names, how did you pick yours?

annemarie482
07-Sep-09, 21:14
just out of interest......
if your house has a name
what did you name your house and for what reason?
ours is "Kestrel View" as there are many kestrels nearby also it looks over the subsea seven site at wester which was originally called kestrel.
tell us yours!

(smart answers not required!)

Leanne
07-Sep-09, 21:15
We inherited ours - it is named after the area :roll:

BINBOB
07-Sep-09, 21:45
I called mine after our kennel club affix.:)

theone
07-Sep-09, 21:50
number 8.

Not chosen by me.

telfordstar
07-Sep-09, 21:59
number 8.

Not chosen by me.

lol now that made me laugh.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Sep-09, 22:09
Our house is named after the area where my husbands fathers grave and their family home is :)

Kathy@watten
07-Sep-09, 22:12
Ours was a combination of the place and the setting, we are on the old Marl road at Oldhall and situated on the base of the brae, hence Marlbrae is the house name.

pat
07-Sep-09, 22:17
Carnan Beag - Carnan is small cairn and beag is small - kept name as it seemed appropriate as have a cairn terrier and could not be bothered with the hassle of changing.

Kenn
07-Sep-09, 22:22
Chywarveneth....the house on the hillside, which it is.

Anne x
07-Sep-09, 22:43
Dunrobin ---------------where I belong

crayola
07-Sep-09, 23:30
Dunrobin ---------------where I belong
Oh Anne that sounds like the thieves' version of Dunroamin' but I'm sure it's not true. :eek:

Mine doesn't have a name, just a number. :~(

Anne x
07-Sep-09, 23:43
where I belong crayola I canna mind any thieves just a good living for my dad in the gardens a house to boot and before that on the estate , Dunroamin well who knows where any of us will end up

kriklah
08-Sep-09, 07:37
When we bought the house it was simply referred to as Braal, same as the area. Caused loads of problems with the mail going to the other houses, so we decided to rename it, tried to come up with something gaelic, but nothing we liked. Then one day as i approched the door the idea for the name was staring at me in the form of 2 garden ornements i had on the step. Id got these in Woolies a few years back, simply because they had mine and xhubbys names on them, an owl called vic and a pussycat named sam. from there i looked up the poem for ideas, and settled on the word Runcible(as in the runcible spoon). just a nonsence word, but i suppose it reflects my life these days!!

cazmanian_minx
08-Sep-09, 07:42
Tigh Chailein - Big Colin's house, named after a previous owner. It's fallen out of use with everyone but the council and utilities now and is variably referred to as 'Pat's old house', 'Gary's old house', 'next door to Monty' and 'the bead lady's house'!

riggerboy
08-Sep-09, 07:47
ours is called the upperha

im from upper poulteney and the wifes from the ha

northener
08-Sep-09, 08:33
Ours is named after my favourite car.

DSV 291K.:Razz

porshiepoo
08-Sep-09, 08:45
Came with the house but we think it has something to do with the Lybster - Wick Railway line running smack alongside us - or at least something along those lines. Apparently the place has had many 'names' over the years including 'The Bog' and 'Half a little house'. :lol:
Who actually came up with the currant name of 'The Old Coach House' is unknown to us.

Tugmistress
08-Sep-09, 09:32
Didn't pick the name, the house already had it :)
apparently it's named after 'Nell' that lived here years ago (but who is still remembered by some). hence Nells Cottage.

Bazeye
08-Sep-09, 10:22
Sister in laws house is "Ar Taigh". Anyone know what that means?

Bazeye
08-Sep-09, 10:24
Didn't pick the name, the house already had it :)
apparently it's named after 'Nell' that lived here years ago (but who is still remembered by some). hence Nells Cottage.

Thats not the house next to the Lighthouse where Brian lives is it?

Tugmistress
08-Sep-09, 10:27
Thats not the house next to the Lighthouse where Brian lives is it?

no, i'm up by the 'polo mint' on the hill

ŠAmethyst
08-Sep-09, 11:01
Sister in laws house is "Ar Taigh". Anyone know what that means?

I could be wrong but I think it means "Our House".

BRIE
08-Sep-09, 12:47
We asked the kids what they wanted to call our house & it was my son who actually picked the name.We built the house on my partner's late father's land so it was named after him.:D