PDA

View Full Version : Coal Fire & cleaning the glass

Dynamic Sounds
07-Sep-09, 12:11
Just moved house, and for the first time since I was about 10 I'm having to contend with a coal fire, and this one is an enclosed one, not a nice open on like I was always used to. I got a couple of questions that hopefully the nice folks in here might be able to help with

1) How do you clean the glass on the front of these fires. It has a nice soot/ash/tar finish to it that give it the clarity of a political speach.

2) What coal/wood is best to burn on it?

Thanks for all your replies

G

Dog
07-Sep-09, 12:21
For a start, Mr Muscle oven cleaner will get the ingrained soot off (use gloves as it's powerfull stuff), thereafter you can buy stove glass cleaner or I use "Astonish" oven cleaner.
As for burning stay away from the hot anthracites , the nuggets burn at a lower temperature and wont burn through your grate, wood is fine if it's an enclosed fire

Dynamic Sounds
07-Sep-09, 12:24
Was wondering about wood as there is always a pile of it outside william wilson, will just need to get meself a big axe!

Dog
07-Sep-09, 12:31
Vinyl records burn well too!!!!!!!!!!

northener
07-Sep-09, 12:43

Murderer.[evil]

Dynamic Sounds
07-Sep-09, 12:49

Aye apparently they do, but think Artic sould kill me....

....mind you do have a few mini discs, cassettes and reel to reels that should flare up good!

annemarie482
07-Sep-09, 12:54
i too have a closed in fire, its a multi fuel.
if like me, you need it to supply your hot water and central heating...
i'd recommend the middle or best level of coal. (i use middle)
i've found the cheapest level doesn't produce enough heat
a handy tip is to put a fire block in the front of the fire as its only the heat at the back that you need, so you use less coal.
otherwise if your happy to heat your water by immersion heater,
i'd recommend burning wood when your at home as it'd prove much cheaper.
i've been told you can buy a spray from the heat centre wick that stops the soot sticking to the glass but it must be put on when the glass is very clean to work,
hope some of that is of use!

sadam
07-Sep-09, 12:59
to clean the glass on most of the closed in fires just use newspaper with water but put some kind of gloves on or you will have black ink on your hands

Dynamic Sounds
07-Sep-09, 13:12
thanks for the replys

Never thought about the fire block thing but will go and get one now.

Also the strangest thing i think is the council supply a bin for ashes, and on top of the bin it says "NO HOT ASHES". Paradox or what?? Good job I let the fire go out overnight and put the cold asshes in the bin

annemarie482
07-Sep-09, 13:16
you can actually get a metal ash holder the same size as the ash tray with attached lid and handle from the heat centre too. you put it in there to cool then empty into your bin..

plumber
07-Sep-09, 14:10
This may sound strange, but if you put some ash on a wet cloth it will clean the glass, a bit messy but it does the trick.

Cattach
07-Sep-09, 14:22
Just moved house, and for the first time since I was about 10 I'm having to contend with a coal fire, and this one is an enclosed one, not a nice open on like I was always used to. I got a couple of questions that hopefully the nice folks in here might be able to help with

1) How do you clean the glass on the front of these fires. It has a nice soot/ash/tar finish to it that give it the clarity of a political speach.

2) What coal/wood is best to burn on it?

Thanks for all your replies

G

I clean it with a brillo pad. Anthracite gives best heat and lasts longestsaving money in the long run. Some coal burns too quickly and others just leave too much ash. Wood is a waste of time - poor heat and burns far too quickly.

tartanyorkie
08-Sep-09, 12:51
I have just read the bit about a fire block and it sounds a good idea. What do they look like and where do you get them from? I struggle with our thing every year, trying to get enough heat and hot water so anything that will help is great.

neepnipper
08-Sep-09, 13:19
Don't forget to get your chimney swept regularly, my hubbie is a chimney sweep so if it needs doing let me know!

ciderally
08-Sep-09, 13:21
leave untill the glass cools...then washing up liquid on a non scratch scrubber does a lovely job, then wipe clean with paper towels....easy peasy
give it a good rake and rattle every morning
get your chimney cleaned once a year...
not sure on this but isent it only the green ones that is a wood burner as well?

annemarie482
08-Sep-09, 13:23
I have just read the bit about a fire block and it sounds a good idea. What do they look like and where do you get them from? I struggle with our thing every year, trying to get enough heat and hot water so anything that will help is great.

hiya, the fireblock looks just like a brick but can withstand the heat without cracking, a lot of heat is lost out the front of your fire when its the back boiler that heats the water and the house. it just cuts down the area for coal to spread when you put them at the front, so you use less coal and keep the heat at the back.
the heat centre wick sells them and possibly the ironmongers thurso.
hope that helps.

tartanyorkie
08-Sep-09, 15:36
Thanks for the information about the fire block. I will go have a look. Neepnipper, where does your husband come from. It is very hard to get a chimney sweep to come out to Reay. We had a very hard job last year - I tried to get a few who wanted it doing so it was not so bad for him coming out. Think I got four at once. Sweeps seem to be a rarity round here even though nearly everyone burns solid fuel.

*Martin*
10-Sep-09, 20:46
I used baby wipes on ours

neepnipper
10-Sep-09, 21:21
Hubbie will be in Reay chimney sweeping next Weds 16th Sept so if anyone out that way is needing theirs done please pm me, he also cleans and repairs gutters etc.

Sans Peur
10-Sep-09, 22:04
Same as Martin, oven cleaner to get the worst off then Baby Wipes to keep clean!