PDA

View Full Version : Finley Quaye - Blackstairs Lounge

MusicWicker
06-Sep-09, 15:10
Tickets are moving fast for this gig, so if ur planning on coming along I would get one this week. A lot of people who turned up on the night for Sergeant were turned away cos it was sold out.

A few Finley tracks to refresh the memory!

Sunday Shining - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1mMjsPGjo

Love Gets Sweeter everyday - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8seN9XowpA

Even After All - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=214cQIpcCIc

Dice 'on the O.C.' -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IyJ3w4SWY

Or if you have Spotify -
http://open.spotify.com/user/crook01...J3DF4gfLdNBrnS

cazmanian_minx
06-Sep-09, 16:34
When is it?

MusicWicker
06-Sep-09, 18:12
Hey

Its Monday 28th October, £17 a tic from Blackstairs Lounge, Macallans Clothes Shop or online at www.ticketweb.co.uk

Cheers

gixer
08-Sep-09, 10:35
The 28th of october is a wednesday.

guitarzan
08-Sep-09, 11:34
I think it was a typo.

There is a thread in the "Music" forums which says that this is 28th September.

Hope this helps.

MusicWicker
08-Sep-09, 12:57
Hey

Sorry my mistake, it is Monday 28th September. Not the best night in the world for a gig in Wick, but its the only day we could get him.

Cheers

telfordstar
08-Sep-09, 13:57
Just me being nosey but what other acts have you got lined up for the future?

MusicWicker
08-Sep-09, 19:12
Hey

At the moment

Sep 20th - Luke Plumb of Shooglenifty and Peter Daffy - Blackstairs Lounge
Sep 28th - Finley
Oct 10th - Brave New Apollo + The Boy Who Trapped the Sun - Blackstairs
Oct 24th - The Side - Blackstairs
Oct 31st - Cassidy + Call me Ishmael - Blackstairs
Nov 15th - Chris Helme (Of Seahorses) - Blackstairs
Dec 04 - Old Blind Dogs - Venue TBC

Theres a couple of big ones in 2010, the first of which is on Feb 13th but I can't say anything until the band announce it on their website on Sep 21st. Gonna be a good one tho! :Razz

lagertops
09-Sep-09, 21:53
Is he on his own or with his band?

Metalattakk
09-Sep-09, 22:01
Tickets are moving fast for this gig, so if ur planning on coming along I would get one this week. A lot of people who turned up on the night for Sergeant were turned away cos it was sold out.

A few Finley tracks to refresh the memory!

Sunday Shining - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1mMjsPGjo

Love Gets Sweeter everyday - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8seN9XowpA

Even After All - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=214cQIpcCIc

Dice 'on the O.C.' -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IyJ3w4SWY

Or if you have Spotify -
http://open.spotify.com/user/crook01...J3DF4gfLdNBrnS

£17 on a Monday night? Pfff! Yer havin' a laugh, aren't ya?

No wonder you're on here trying to drum up business. ;)

Good luck with it though.

MusicWicker
10-Sep-09, 09:04
Yep, he will have the full band with him.

Monday night is a bummer right enough, but its the only night I could get him. Ticket price is pre determined by what the man charges, but if ur a Finley fan I think £17 is pretty good to see him in a wee pub in ur hometown.

Serenity
10-Sep-09, 12:46
£17 on a Monday night? Pfff! Yer havin' a laugh, aren't ya?

No wonder you're on here trying to drum up business. ;)

Good luck with it though.

Exactly what I was going to say. I was considering going until I saw the price in the courier. :confused

guitarzan
10-Sep-09, 13:25
Chris Helme is coming back?

Dancer...

I'll be there again, he was well worth a watch the last time - his own stuff was quality and a fine loon to boot.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Sep-09, 15:56
Yep, he will have the full band with him.

Monday night is a bummer right enough, but its the only night I could get him. Ticket price is pre determined by what the man charges, but if ur a Finley fan I think £17 is pretty good to see him in a wee pub in ur hometown.

Weird. Tickets to his shows in Edinburgh and Glasgow recently were no more than a tenner.

MusicWicker
10-Sep-09, 19:03
and the capacity of those venues were?

Camra
10-Sep-09, 22:45
Being realistic, once you factor in a punter getting to Edinburgh / Glasgow, overnight stay, grub and best part of 12 hours travelling to and from, £17 seems a steal for an intimate gig .

buddyrich
10-Sep-09, 23:24
There's a bit of bah humbug about this gig.

It's not that cheap to drag a band up here to play in a rather small venue.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Sep-09, 23:44
and the capacity of those venues were?

Finley was booked to play the Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh (a venue my own band have filled) not so long ago, but due to poor ticket sales, was moved to Henry's Cellar Bar, which, I assure you, is much smaller than the Blackstairs. Tickets were a tenner.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Sep-09, 23:46
Being realistic, once you factor in a punter getting to Edinburgh / Glasgow, overnight stay, grub and best part of 12 hours travelling to and from, £17 seems a steal for an intimate gig .

Well, if you live in Midlothian, it would cost a tenner to go see Finley. For those living in Caithness, it will cost £17.

MusicWicker
11-Sep-09, 07:29
Finley was booked to play the Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh (a venue my own band have filled) not so long ago, but due to poor ticket sales, was moved to Henry's Cellar Bar, which, I assure you, is much smaller than the Blackstairs. Tickets were a tenner.

Well put it this way pepsi, if I did it for a tenner I'd have about a £400 shortfall on his fee. So it's £17 or no gig.

And on the subject of fee, nobody ever seems to mention the 30 or so gigs a year we put on for free. Heres a wee example for you - Cassidy are on tour next month, heres where they are playing :-

The Warehouse - Aberdeen - £6
The Doghouse - Dundee - £6
Cabaret Voltaire - Your beloved Edinburgh - £6
Blackstairs - Wick - Free

Now out of these venues which ones are the gig venues and which one is a little pub?

Isn't there a Midlothian.Org or something that you can go onto and snipe at people that live a little closer to you? Cos you sure seem to have a lot of opinions about gigs that happen hundreds of miles away from you.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Sep-09, 13:29
As someone who shares a firm interest in all aspects of music in Scotland (and not just within a 50-mile radius of my location), I do appreciate your efforts in taking, what one might call, “names”, to areas of the country we might usually not expect to see them in. I also appreciate the costs in taking such people to the Far North. However, unless Finley’s management define his fee according to each, particular venue, I fail to see why you’d need to stick an extra £7 on a ticket that, everywhere else, is approx. £10.

As for the gigs you put on for free: how, then, pray tell - and am genuinely interested - do you manage to pay the acts you put on?

Call it sniping if you must, but I, like many others I would imagine, would like to know if they are getting a fair deal for their money.

theboss
11-Sep-09, 13:51
For the love of god, shut up Pepsi. Whether you're just stirring, or whether you're actually serious, just shut up!

What "MusicWicker" wants to charge is up to him. Not you or I.

You wouldn't be questioning that fee if it was being held in the Lighthouse would you?

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Sep-09, 14:44
I think there's more chance of you changing your reading habits, than me changing my typing habits, theboss, so relax, please. Granted, it is up to wickerman to decide on a price, just don't expect everyone to buy it (no pun intended).

The Lighthouse, incidentally, hold private, invitation-only events which are not open-to-the-public performances - or have you not gathered that by now?

Gleber2
11-Sep-09, 15:21
As someone who shares a firm interest in all aspects of music in Scotland (and not just within a 50-mile radius of my location), I do appreciate your efforts in taking, what one might call, “names”, to areas of the country we might usually not expect to see them in. I also appreciate the costs in taking such people to the Far North. However, unless Finley’s management define his fee according to each, particular venue, I fail to see why you’d need to stick an extra £7 on a ticket that, everywhere else, is approx. £10.

As for the gigs you put on for free: how, then, pray tell - and am genuinely interested - do you manage to pay the acts you put on?

Call it sniping if you must, but I, like many others I would imagine, would like to know if they are getting a fair deal for their money.

For the love of god, shut up Pepsi. Whether you're just stirring, or whether you're actually serious, just shut up!

What "MusicWicker" wants to charge is up to him. Not you or I.

You wouldn't be questioning that fee if it was being held in the Lighthouse would you?
Pepsi, I must admit that I agree with The Boss on this issue. BTW, Boss, our set donation for a gig here has always been the same, apart from the Little Feat gig.
How does Musicwicker pay for his acts when there is no admission? Are you being deliberately thick? Like all other bars, the bar take pays as you well know. Also true, that, when JBIA play up here, you get paid more than you get in the City? This will also be true for Finley I would imagine.
As for people getting their money's worth, people will pay £9/10 for a hole like Skinandi's with a disco and expensive booze. Hardly a consideration this £17 price tag.

theboss
11-Sep-09, 16:22
I am quite relaxed Pepsi. I just don't like seeing folk who are actually trying to do something worthwhile for local gig-goers getting a hard time for no apparent reason.

I know how the Lighthouse gigs work and have no issue with it. My point is that you seem to have one set of rules for one person and another set of rules for others. Please leave MusicWicker alone. As I said, how he runs his gigs is nothing to do with you or me. I support him in all of his ventures as I can see he's trying to make a difference to live music in the county. This should be applauded, not questioned!

Gleber2, I don't know what you are charging these days, but, I certainly wouldn't question it. It's nothing to do with me or anyone else who is not involved in the promotion of the gigs. I hope Pepsi can apply the same attitude.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Sep-09, 17:14
I asked him (wickerman) a simple question about how he could justify charging what he does, and he responded. I don't agree with it, but I am happy with his reply. I have already (in other threads) commended him on several occasions about bringing more established acts to the Far North, and long may it continue. Should he come into more money, however, may I suggest you offer him your PR services. A man needs a maid.

theboss
11-Sep-09, 17:37
I asked him (wickerman) a simple question about how he could justify charging what he does, and he responded. I don't agree with it, but I am happy with his reply. I have already (in other threads) commended him on several occasions about bringing more established acts to the Far North, and long may it continue. Should he come into more money, however, may I suggest you offer him your PR services. A man needs a maid.

As a matter of fact young Pepsi, I already design all of his promotional material for all of his gigs, and i've never asked for a penny. You see, that's a how a community works Bazza. People help each other out!

the_big_mac
11-Sep-09, 20:37
I gotta chuck my tuppince worth in.

When I first heard about the gig I though it was a bit of a coup, while also thinking, jeez, thats a lot of money.

But, I understand exactly what it takes to bring any kind of band up here and the costs involved, so If Musicwicker chooses to put on these gigs and pay the fee involved then good on him. Hardly anyone else is doin it!

What did strike me was the fee itself. It must be substantail by the time its 17 bucks a ticket!!! I mean this is a washed up drug fuelled blubbering idiot who got lucky with one track and has dragged it out for over a decade, and folk are still willing to pay money, actual real money they earn by working, to see him :eek:

And thats about all I have to say.

Boozeburglar
11-Sep-09, 23:54
Pepsi. How many other gigs is the act doing local to the area?

While I swallow the idea you may have some problems with english, even as an experienced journalist; I draw the line at a gigging musician pretending ignorance of the costs associated with bringing an established act hundreds of miles north of the normal circuit for a one off gig.

Bola bola, as my other half would say.

buddyrich
12-Sep-09, 00:05
Cazart. Only in Caithness! Quality arguement.

I've seen bigger names for a lot less but then again, not this close to home. Except Dodgy who justified their name quite well.

If i was a Finlay fan i dont think i'd balk at paying that. Johnny pointed out that you could spend that getting into skins disco and buying one round of drink. For that money, i want jimmy saville atop a unicorn as the DJ.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 01:04
My comment re: wickerman and how he pays bands that appear at his free gigs, was an assumption (you have to spell out everything round here) that the bands in question were professional musicians (i.e. artists who make their living purely from playing music). I doubt most pub bands are. Sorry about the confusion, but don't let that stop y'all from jumping to conclusions.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 01:29
I mean this is a washed up drug fuelled blubbering idiot who never even got lucky with one track and has dragged it out for decades, and folk are still willing to pay money, actual real money they earn by working, to see him.

..so could this profile not fit many people?

:)

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 01:33
Touche, touche...

Jeid
12-Sep-09, 02:09
I'm not even gonna touch this one. Good on you guys winding each other up.

MusicWicker
12-Sep-09, 07:28
Just to put this to rest, heres some financial info on the gig for you.

Not that it's anybodys interest but it might shut pepsi up for a bit.

My bar holds around 80 people, so I have 80 tics on sale.

17 x 80 is £1360.

Finley is getting £1000 for the gig.

Sound Equip and Tech is £120

Extra Staff (Security / Bar) is £180 Total = £1360 - £1300 costs

So if the gig was to sell out, which it won't on a Monday night, I may make a whole £60 :eek: on the door.

Granted, I'll make some money on the bar but what would be the point if I didnt? I don't run my bar as a non profit organisation.

So if you do your sums, it is not feasible to put this gig on for £10, £12 etc. So as I say its £17 or no gig. I didn't just pull this price out of my a*se!

Maybe I am guilty of not getting a good deal from the artist, and if that was what I was getting accused of that would be fine. It's the fact that the insinuation is that I am trying to line my pockets at the expense of the locals that gets to me.

the_big_mac
12-Sep-09, 07:46

17 x 80 is £1360.

So if the gig was to sell out, which it won't on a Monday night, I may make a whole £60 :eek: on the door.

Granted, I'll make some money on the bar but what would be the point if I didnt? I don't run my bar as a non profit organisation.

So if you do your sums, it is not feasible to put this gig on for £10, £12 etc. So as I say its £17 or no gig. I didn't just pull this price out of my a*se!

Maybe I am guilty of not getting a good deal from the artist, and if that was what I was getting accused of that would be fine. It's the fact that the insinuation is that I am trying to line my pockets at the expense of the locals that gets to me.

Dont worry, Pepsi aint a local anymore.

He lost that status when he left Thurso wooping and jumping at the excitment of writing articles, such as taking up smoking for a week, and staying in haunted hotels, for a living.

Amy-Winehouse
12-Sep-09, 07:56
Dont worry, Pepsi aint a local anymore.

He lost that status when he left Thurso wooping and jumping at the excitment of writing articles, such as taking up smoking for a week, and staying in haunted hotels, for a living.

Pmsl at that Big Mac[lol][lol]

Amy-Winehouse
12-Sep-09, 08:01

17 x 80 is £1360.

I personally wouldnt give a flying bats testicle for what Pepsi says Mr C, He doesnt contribute anything to Wick or its community, whereas you have gotten off your backside in attempt to bring some half decent bands up here, Complete Stone Roses were excellent btw, I dont think you should have to explain anything to him but credit to you.

Kenneth
12-Sep-09, 12:33
Good on musicwicker for bringing up some very good acts! He mentioned one with a harp, I had a listen to them and rather liked them, shame I couldnt see them because I was working :(

TheBoss. do I recall you questioning what Brian Cardosi puts on the door for a Saturday night, for the Kiss act?

Also, I have to say I've never seen Pepsi making himself out to have an amazing job or anything like that, unless I have missed out on some org arguments...?

Anyhoo, I like Finley Quaye, might not pay £17 but then again Dice is a flipping brilliant tune! He has a great voice.

theboss
12-Sep-09, 13:39
TheBoss. do I recall you questioning what Brian Cardosi puts on the door for a Saturday night, for the Kiss act?

No. You're havering Kenneth. I know why Skinandis' charge what they do for their acts, i'm there for most of them. Infact, the only act I haven't been working at in the last few months was the Kiss one and that was because I was in Aberdeen.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 13:44

17 x 80 is £1360.

No insinuation. Merely pointing out that £17, when others were charging a tenner, seemed a little odd. I've already said am happy with your explanation, so no need for the persecution complex I assure you.

Kenneth
12-Sep-09, 13:48
No. You're havering Kenneth. I know why Skinandis' charge what they do for their acts, i'm there for most of them. Infact, the only act I haven't been working at in the last few months was the Kiss one and that was because I was in Aberdeen.

I'll haver you!!!!!!

Nah fair enough bud!

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Sep-09, 13:48
Good on musicwicker for bringing up some very good acts! He mentioned one with a harp, I had a listen to them and rather liked them, shame I couldnt see them because I was working :(

Also, I have to say I've never seen Pepsi making himself out to have an amazing job or anything like that, unless I have missed out on some org arguments...?

Anyhoo, I like Finley Quaye, might not pay £17 but then again Dice is a flipping brilliant tune! He has a great voice.

Granted, a lot of people's obsession with my job on here certainly seems to cause a bit of needle; it is flattering, though.

MusicWicker
14-Sep-09, 17:35
After All the furore that has gone on around this - Finley has only gone and cancelled the whole tour. Apologies to all who have tickets, you will be able to get a full refund for where you bought them.

Heres the official word from the man himself, not much of an explanation but its all i have at this time :(

I have cancelled tour and am looking at putting new band together for next year. My security became a huge issue.. The band increasingly difficult to manage, too ambitious, playing for different bands and unable to focus on one band. The sound suffering as a result. A number of factors led me to decide to call it a day until things are different.

Truly an act of God.

FQ

Apologies

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Sep-09, 01:39
After All the furore that has gone on around this - Finley has only gone and cancelled the whole tour. Apologies to all who have tickets, you will be able to get a full refund for where you bought them.

Heres the official word from the man himself, not much of an explanation but its all i have at this time :(

I have cancelled tour and am looking at putting new band together for next year. My security became a huge issue.. The band increasingly difficult to manage, too ambitious, playing for different bands and unable to focus on one band. The sound suffering as a result. A number of factors led me to decide to call it a day until things are different.

Truly an act of God.

FQ

Apologies

Translation: he's skint, and can't afford to keep a band on the road. This is exactly the same thing he came out with a few months ago when he was meant to be playing the Voodoo Rooms. The guy's damaged goods; few promoters will touch him with a bargepole anymore.

buddyrich
15-Sep-09, 12:48
Maybe they'd quite like to hit him with a barge pole.

Jeid
15-Sep-09, 16:09
I'm sure we could've knocked up a band for him no bother

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Sep-09, 16:43
I'm sure we could've knocked up a band for him no bother

Agreed. Who would play in the appointed band, though? I bags the suit and maracas.

buddyrich
15-Sep-09, 21:04
Hell yes what a good idea. I will play djembe. I'll bring an accordion too.

Jeid
16-Sep-09, 00:51
I'm playing the ... apparently I'm good in that position!

Deemac
16-Sep-09, 08:51
I'm playing the ... apparently I'm good in that position!

Hell - that was even quite funny!!:D

Entertaining thread (for once) . . . . .:cool:

Jeid
16-Sep-09, 09:40
A+ thread, would read again!