PDA

View Full Version : *URGENT* Loose springer in Watten attacking livestock *URGENT*

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 12:19
Does anyone know the identity of the loose springer attacking livestock in Watten? It has ripped the undercarriage out of a deer and is currently terrorising sheep and horses. We are trying to locate some with a gun to put the deer out of its misery as it is beyond treatment.

Does anyone know whos dog it is? We really need help from the owner to catch the dog. I'm afraid if the dog goes near my horses again I will have to protect them!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Sep-09, 12:26
what a nightmare hope you get it sorted - is it black and white springe ror liver and white...?

might help anyone whose looking for lost dog!

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 12:27
It's liver and white. We're still waiting for our friend to arrive with a gun. The poor deer has all its undercarriage and privates ripped out :(

elamanya
06-Sep-09, 12:36
Would you not be better phoning the police or sspca

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Sep-09, 12:38
It's liver and white. We're still waiting for our friend to arrive with a gun. The poor deer has all its undercarriage and privates ripped out :(

is red coming to the rescue ?

davie
06-Sep-09, 12:40
Definitely a job where the Police should be involved.

cezzy1234
06-Sep-09, 12:44
try the dog warden mabby she could help you or the sspca

BINBOB
06-Sep-09, 13:39
This is awful............poor deer.....I think the owner will have a lot to answer to,if.when found.
Keep us updated............Iwould call the SSPCA/police and dog warden.Someone must be able to help in a situation like this.

seadog
06-Sep-09, 14:12
Phone the police. The dog is obviously out of control[disgust]

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 14:13
Is there no way the poor deer could be saved?

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 14:13
We'd already called the SPCA. They've been out but because they couldn't find the deer have left. They have given us their permission to shoot it if we find it (which we would need to shoot it). We never did find the deer :(

Can people in the Watten area keep an eye out for the dog please? It has had a taste for blood now and is likely to try again in the future :(

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 14:14
Is there no way the poor deer could be saved?

Erm no - it was in a really bad way with all its intestines hanging out and it hind end ripped up :(

The dog is gone no which is why I posted on here - could people keep an eye out please?

telfordstar
06-Sep-09, 14:23
Erm no - it was in a really bad way with all its intestines hanging out and it hind end ripped up :(

The dog is gone no which is why I posted on here - could people keep an eye out please?

What a shame hope this dog is caught soon before any more animals get hurt or worse killed.

Keep us posted leanne

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 14:44
Are you sure that the spaniel attacked the deer.? Maybe the poor deer ripped her under belly jumping a fence. Would a spaniel be capable of inflicting such injuries? You know there are freaky BIG cats in Caithness. I have seen them and have come across a lamb with it's head bitten off.

Venture
06-Sep-09, 14:51
This is the second incident I have heard about involving a deer in the Watten area this weekend. Apparently there was a collision on Friday night between a taxi and a deer at Watten too. Is there a lot of them in the area?

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 14:57
Are you sure that the spaniel attacked the deer.? Maybe the poor deer ripped her under belly jumping a fence. Would a spaniel be capable of inflicting such injuries? You know there are freaky BIG cats in Caithness. I have seen them and have come across a lamb with it's head bitten off.

The dog chasing the deer. The deer went through a wire fence and got stuck - the dog was seen hanging off the deer. There is no doubt the dog did it.

And yes it seems a spaniel would be capable of inflicting such injuries :(

Stefan
06-Sep-09, 15:33
Spaniels are soft mouthed dogs. Strange that one would attack a deer.... chasing for fun, yes, but ripping it apart... ??
If a spaniel was seen doing that there must be something wrong with the dog. I hope the deer was put out of it's misery and the dog found and scheduled for a health checkup at the vets.

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 15:40
Spaniels are soft mouthed dogs. Strange that one would attack a deer.... chasing for fun, yes, but ripping it apart... ??
If a spaniel was seen doing that there must be something wrong with the dog. I hope the deer was put out of it's misery and the dog found and scheduled for a health checkup at the vets.

Trust me the deer was ripped apart. I'm not sure if the dog was a spaniel for sure - only from what my neighbour said "brown and white springer type".

No the deer wasn't found and neither was the dog :(. I'm not going to post again as I am really upset by this. If anyone has a dog fitting this description that has been missing until lunchtime - you now know why :(

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 15:47
Trust me the deer was ripped apart. I'm not sure if the dog was a spaniel for sure - only from what my neighbour said "brown and white springer type".

No the deer wasn't found and neither was the dog :(. I'm not going to post again as I am really upset by this. If anyone has a dog fitting this description that has been missing until lunchtime - you now know why :(

It could not have been "ripped apart" or its body would be at the scene. Also, did you see this yourself or is this hearsay (from your neighbour). For example, was the dog a springer spaniel or wasn't it?

This story does not make any sense to me and I hope it is not one of those silly farmers' tales about "nasty dogs."

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 15:52
It could not have been "ripped apart" or its body would be at the scene. Also, did you see this yourself or is this hearsay (from your neighbour). For example, was the dog a springer spaniel or wasn't it?

This story does not make any sense to me and I hope it is not one of those silly farmers' tales about "nasty dogs."

The breed is quite distinctive

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uT6j2ojrgPET_M:http://www.dogbreedswiki.com/images/dogst/SpringerSpaniel2.jpg

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 16:05
You say you are waiting for "your friend with a gun," but why have you not called the Police?

:eek:

krackenkid
06-Sep-09, 16:06
i am the neighbour and the dog was as Leanne said a springer spaniel type, it was quiet clear this dog wanted to kill the deer, it is not "hearsay" or "silly farmer story" this was a horrific thing to see, and i beg anyone with this kind of dog that has been missing for the afternoon to come forward, i will be keeping a very close eye on my animals and will not hesitate in protecting them, or my neighbours.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Sep-09, 16:07
You say you are waiting for "your friend with a gun," but why have you not called the Police?

:eek:

oops sorry didnt mean to reply

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 16:08
i am the neighbour and the dog was as Leanne said a springer spaniel type, it was quiet clear this dog wanted to kill the deer, it is not "hearsay" or "silly farmer story" this was a horrific thing to see, and i beg anyone with this kind of dog that has been missing for the afternoon to come forward, i will be keeping a very close eye on my animals and will not hesitate in protecting them, or my neighbours.

You have called the Police then?

Cattach
06-Sep-09, 16:12

Seems a very odd story to me and hardly the place for it if true. The police and the SSPCA are the people to contact and why has local farmer's help not been sought. There must be farmers will ing to assist even if only with advice. Seems to me be better to contact the authorities if indeed this story is true but I have my doubts.

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 16:13

The dog is long gone - I'm not sure the police can do anything. The dog warden does not answer the number listed - maybe they are shut at weekends?

Edit - why do people doubt this? It was a horrific incident and I've just spend a good 2 hours traipsing through fields trying to dp the right thing by the poor animal. Your suspicious minds say a lot about your own characters!

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 16:20
The dog is long gone - I'm not sure the police can do anything. The dog warden does not answer the number listed - maybe they are shut at weekends?

With respect, I did not ask about the dog warden. You stated that you were waiting for a "friend with a gun," but I asked you why you did not call the Police and seek their help and advice.

Also, was it only the neighbour who saw this? If so, your story must be hearsay (at least from your point of view).

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 16:28
With respect, I did not ask about the dog warden. You stated that you were waiting for a "friend with a gun," but I asked you why you did not call the Police and seek their help and advice.

Also, was it only the neighbour who saw this? If so, your story must be hearsay (at least from your point of view).

To satisfy everyone police have been called. I spoke to a really helpful lady who said is nothing they can do and there have been no reports of any dogs missing. She have also said (thankfully) that there have been no further reports of the dog worrying other animals. She has asked if I can get hold of the dog to call them back and they will collect it as the dog warden doesn't work weekends. They have also said that we would be within our rights to shoot the dog! This is something that I really wouldn't want to do - who knows about the farmers on the other side of the river though...

The situation now is - the police are willing to take the dog if anyone manages to catch it.

As for heresay - I really didn't want to state on a public forum about all the blood and gore all over the Riding Club jumps. I guess you forced my hand...

northener
06-Sep-09, 16:28
Stavro, it's nice to see you are such an expert on dogs worrying larger animals.

Whether the dog did the damage or the fence did is not really relevant. Deer can cover a lot of ground with some horrific injuries, ask anyone who's stalked or worked on an estate.
I've seen what Jack Russel sized dogs are capable of doing - so a spaniel would have no problems causing serious injuries to a (presumably Roe) deer.

Regarding 'soft mouths' - thats got nothing to do with the power of the dogs' jaws or it's ability to chase and kill, It is simply a term used in shooting circles to describe a dog that will retrieve prey without crushing it, nothing more.

Regarding the Police, there is no real need to call them if you do not wish. If the dog is in the process of chasing livestock then you can legally shoot it without having to inform the Police beforehand.
If it was me, and the dog was attacking something the size of a deer, then I'd shoot it anyway if I had livestock.

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 16:38
To satisfy everyone police have been called.

The situation now is - the police are willing to take the dog if anyone manages to catch it.

As for heresay - I really didn't want to state on a public forum about all the blood and gore all over the Riding Club jumps. I guess you forced my hand...

Good, this is better than people wandering around with guns thinking that they have some sort of right to kill a person's pet dog on the basis of hearsay and no hard evidence.

Hearsay means that you did not see anything yourself - you are only taking someone's word for it.

There is no need for personal insults.

And there is no excuse for killing an animal without hard, factual evidence. I hope that you will agree.

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 16:42
Stavro, it's nice to see you are such an expert on dogs worrying larger animals.

Whether the dog did the damage or the fence did is not really relevant.

Regarding 'soft mouths' - thats got nothing to do with ...

northener, how would you know whether I am an expert or not? As to whether the alleged dog or a barbed-wire fence caused the alleged injuries, that has everything to do with it. And as regards soft mouths, I made no comment on this at all. :roll:

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 16:45
Seems a very odd story to me and hardly the place for it if true. The police and the SSPCA are the people to contact and why has local farmer's help not been sought. There must be farmers will ing to assist even if only with advice. Seems to me be better to contact the authorities if indeed this story is true but I have my doubts.

Cattach, I could not agree more!

:D

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 16:45
Hearsay means that you did not see anything yourself - you are only taking someone's word for it.

There is no need for personal insults.

And there is no excuse for killing an animal without hard, factual evidence. I hope that you will agree.

The only one slinging insults is you by questioning my character...

The gun was to shoot the injured deer not the dog - never did I say I was going to shoot the dog - you assumed that. My idea was more of hooking the electric fence up to the mains rather than a 12v battery ;)

Edit - and before you jump down my throat for that - there is a transformer, it wont be 240v :roll:

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 16:47
Cattach, I could not agree more!

Please drop this one - I have already contacted the authorities (check if you don't believe me ;)). Are you actually going to do anything to help? If not - trot on :roll:

tonkatojo
06-Sep-09, 16:54
northener, how would you know whether I am an expert or not? As to whether the alleged dog or a barbed-wire fence caused the alleged injuries, that has everything to do with it. And as regards soft mouths, I made no comment on this at all. :roll:

You wouldn't happen to own a liver/white springer spaniel would you ? you seem awfully concerned, it wasn't missing for any length of time today was it ? .

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Sep-09, 17:03
Good, this is better than people wandering around with guns thinking that they have some sort of right to kill a person's pet dog on the basis of hearsay and no hard evidence.

thing is though if you go back and read - the initial posting related to ShOOTING the deer putting it out of it's misery ....

and only should the dog come back and harass leannes horses would she do something to protect them ....not once did she say she was looking for a gun to shoot the dog!!!

bhoy1973
06-Sep-09, 17:16
Have you contacted the authorities?

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 17:25
Have you contacted the authorities?

again yes - see above ^

Thumper
06-Sep-09, 17:36
I would be very careful approaching the dog,any manner of thing could have made it "aggressive" and may not take too kindly to being approached :eek: I thought the police had to come out for an aggressive dog on the loose,or at least provide you with the info to contact somebody who can deal with it,lets hope its calmed down and doesnt get into any more trouble x

Margaret M.
06-Sep-09, 17:46
Well done, Leanne, for trying to do the right thing. I hate to think of the poor deer dying a slow painful death.

Liz
06-Sep-09, 18:19
Well done, Leanne, for trying to do the right thing. I hate to think of the poor deer dying a slow painful death.

I completely agree. Good grief it is sad when someone can't make a post without being interrogated now!:roll:

Leanne it is so good of you to try to put the poor deer out of it's misery and really hope the dog is found as well.

KCI
06-Sep-09, 19:26
Someone has come on here, asking for help and trying to do the right thing for a poor animal who has been badly injured.
I can't believe that some people have come on here to have a go at Leanne.
This is a community messageboard, and people in the community should be able to come on here to ask for help without worrying about the response they might get from ignorant people.
Unbelievable.:(

Stefan
06-Sep-09, 19:31
I was the one who was talking about soft mouthed dogs. Those dogs have been bred for hundreds of years NOT TO USE THEIR JAWS other than feeding. Now if a spaniel uses his strength to kill a deer (which even the smallest dog is capable of if it bites in the right place), then the dog is out of control. It could be extremely hungry or seriously ill (behaviour changing illness).

Unfortunately pet dogs aren't trained to kill a deer quickly and effectively, so I hope the deer went quickly after the attack and didn't have to suffer.

As for Leanne, I am sure you did all the right things. If people read the posts carefully without jumping to conclusions they would have noticed that you did call the police, the sspca and wanted to have the deer shot, not the dog.
However, if a dog was attacking my livestock I would not hesitate to shoot it after trying to scare it off. I own three dogs and if one of my dogs was attacking anybody else's livestock I would expect them to get shot. It's unacceptable. As much as it may be in the dogs nature.

I hope the dog is now confined and won't get another chance to kill an animal.

BalmoreSSPCA
06-Sep-09, 19:43
I am so sorry Leanne that you have taken some flack on here for simply being an animal lover. Can I just say thank you for caring about the deer and getting the correct organisations involved. It must have been horendous for the person who wittnessed this out of control dog savage the poor deer. I can only hope that the dog and owner have been reunited and that this terrible incident will not happen ever again. If anyone has information regarding the owner of the dog please contact the Scottish SPCA Tel 01847861386. Thanks

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 21:35
I am so sorry Leanne that you have taken some flack on here for simply being an animal lover. Can I just say thank you for caring about the deer and getting the correct organisations involved. It must have been horendous for the person who wittnessed this out of control dog savage the poor deer. I can only hope that the dog and owner have been reunited and that this terrible incident will not happen ever again. If anyone has information regarding the owner of the dog please contact the Scottish SPCA Tel 01847861386. Thanks

Can I also thank your team for getting someone out to us so quickly - we were amazed! I'm just really upset we couldn't help the deer :(

brandy
06-Sep-09, 22:16
now this is just out of pure curiosity.. if and when the dog is found what will happen to it?
obviously as it has attacked a deer and from what i understand has been worrying horses and possibly other livestock it has a taste for it, so to speak.
is it ok for the dog just to go home and be kept in under watch of its owners or will something have to be done?

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 22:26
is it ok for the dog just to go home and be kept in under watch of its owners or will something have to be done?

There has been no sign of the dog since. If I had caught the dog it would have been turned over to the police to reunite it with its owners. I guess it at the end of the day it is just up to the owners to be responsible...

telfordstar
06-Sep-09, 22:55

Are you sure you are not the police stavro your certinley asking plenting of repetative questions. How many times would you like leane to repeat so you can get the jest?!!!:roll:

balto
06-Sep-09, 22:59
what an horrific story, that sight is something that will stay with you for a long time. hopefully this dog can be tracked down and dealt withm before it turns again, well done for trying so hard to help this poor deer.

Kevin Milkins
06-Sep-09, 23:01
Are you sure you are not the police stavro your certinley asking plenting of repetative questions. How many times would you like leane to repeat so you can get the jest?!!!:roll:

Take him down town Stavro, book him, murder one, or was it Danno?:lol:

Rheghead
06-Sep-09, 23:08

Did you see this happen?:confused

Rheghead
06-Sep-09, 23:16
If it was me, and the dog was attacking something the size of a deer, then I'd shoot it anyway if I had livestock.

Why?:confused

Isn't it easier to get the dawg by the collar?

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 23:45

You mean 'gist' telfordstar. I don't need anything repeated, just answered. She did eventually answer that the Police were notified, so that's okay. :roll:

Stavro
06-Sep-09, 23:51
... from what i understand has been worrying horses and possibly other livestock it has a taste for it, so to speak.

How do you know that this same alleged dog has been "worrying horses and possibly other livestock"? Where did you get this from?

Like what?

changilass
06-Sep-09, 23:55
If its attacking other animals, then I would guess like putting it down.

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 23:56
I think you are a bit behind again Stavros ;) Have a read above and all your questions will be answered ;)

Leanne
06-Sep-09, 23:57

I was more thinking like keeping it on a lead so it can't run off and get into situations like this...

catran
06-Sep-09, 23:57
You mean 'gist' telfordstar. I don't need anything repeated, just answered. She did eventually answer that the Police were notified, so that's okay. :roll:

Fine and dandy but how on earth did they not find this desperately injured deer? Never mind the springer who obviously has a lot wrong with him being a soft mouthed type of doggie
. did Leanne actually witness the attack?.

Rheghead
06-Sep-09, 23:58
My grandfather blamed foxes for years for attacks on his chickens until he found next door's whippet in the hen run. It duznae add up tbh

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 00:08

Then you had better be sure of your facts, had you not?

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 00:09
Fine and dandy but how on earth did they not find this desperately injured deer? Never mind the springer who obviously has a lot wrong with him being a soft mouthed type of doggie
. did Leanne actually witness the attack?.

Apparently she did not - this is my main point.

changilass
07-Sep-09, 00:14
Stavro, please could you actually READ post afore commenting.

I typed 'IF'

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 00:33
I typed 'IF'

I agree with the point you are making changilass ... 'IF' is a big word.

northener
07-Sep-09, 01:05
Why?:confused

Isn't it easier to get the dawg by the collar?

Rheghead, have you ever tried catching a dog thats out of control and chasing? Not easy, my friend, in fact it is usually impossible - and, to be honest, I couldn't care less about the dog if it is loose and worrying.

And I'm speaking as someone who has had running dogs for years, before any of the 'nice fluffy dogs being murdered by a nasty farmer with a gun' apologists wade in.....

Phill
07-Sep-09, 01:56
Rheghead, have you ever tried catching a dog thats out of control and chasing? Not easy, my friend, in fact it is usually impossible - and, to be honest, I couldn't care less about the dog if it is loose and worrying.

And I'm speaking as someone who has had running dogs for years, before any of the 'nice fluffy dogs being murdered by a nasty farmer with a gun' apologists wade in.....

Quite agree, having had the "pleasure" of trying to detach a terrier that was in the process of munching through my Lab's head, grabbing the collar wasn't an easy task and that was a dog attached to my dog on the end of a lead and not running through fields.

Apart from anything else there's a risk that anyone attempting to grab the collar of a dog that is out of control could end up bitten also.

Incidentally it took a fair bit of squeezing and twisting of the terrier's nuts whilst clattering him round the head to get him to release his grip!

brandy
07-Sep-09, 08:30
(raises eyebrow) why are you having a go at me? stavro. i just asked a question about what would happen to the dog. leanne said that if it came near her horses again she would be forced to protect them, so i assume it was bothering them. now if this had been a child the dog had mauled their would be a very big uproar and hunting the dog down.
now it does concern me that if the dog has a taste for blood, then yes he is dangerous and what is to stop it from having a go at a small person, or even a big person.
ive seen a min. poodle tear someones foot and leg all to pieces. and they are small dogs.
any dog can do major damage no matter what the breed is. and as far as spaniels go, they can suffer from spaniel rage.

George Brims
07-Sep-09, 08:44
I don't know where people are getting this idea that spaniels are harmless. As puppies they are notorious for chewing stuff. We had friends in college who got a spaniel puppy when they got married, and left it unattended during the day, as they both worked. One day the dog, not yet half grown, wrecked the place. He hadn't just destroyed furniture. He had eaten his way into the walls (old style lath & plaster) wherever there was an outside corner. There were huge holes all over the flat. (Don't get me started on the foolishness of keeping a dog in a flat all day.)

The US Post Office lists dogs biting posties by breed, and the spaniel is always near the top of the list. I know, that pit bull is going to do you more damage, but the spaniels seem more keen.

telfordstar
07-Sep-09, 10:08
You seem to be turning this thread into a pure cat fight stavro by questioning everything. By all means have your questions but is there any need for major major nit picking? I think not!!

by they way in my previous post i did intentionally write jest i really cant be bothered with the pronounciation police doing their rounds again.

topotheuk
07-Sep-09, 10:46
Shees, what a carry on. Lee-anne you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. There are so many experts out there both on wildlife, domestic animals and horses!
I think you did the right thing. I have to say if I saw a dog attacking my horses, I'd have the dog shot. I live in the country and accept I need to live by countryside rules. If either of my dogs go into my neighbours field and worry the sheep, or are even seen by the farmer in the field, I accept they will be shot. I would be gutted and very upset, but accept this is the way in the country. So I keep an eye on both my dogs and make sure they don't wander off next door. If anyone lets their dog wander into my land and they start ripping my horses apart, they too will be shot. If you don't want that to happen to your dogs, keep them under control. If it turns out that the dog is suffering from some health issue which caused it to go off the rails, then take it to the vet and have the vet treat it, or if too far gone, have it pts. The dog is lucky that it was Leeane who was dealing with it, as if it was many other people then it would have been shot on sight. So instead of slagging Leeane off, well done you for caring not just about the deer but the dog also.

dietcokegirl
07-Sep-09, 10:54
Shees, what a carry on. Lee-anne you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. There are so many experts out there both on wildlife, domestic animals and horses!
I think you did the right thing. I have to say if I saw a dog attacking my horses, I'd have the dog shot. I live in the country and accept I need to live by countryside rules. If either of my dogs go into my neighbours field and worry the sheep, or are even seen by the farmer in the field, I accept they will be shot. I would be gutted and very upset, but accept this is the way in the country. So I keep an eye on both my dogs and make sure they don't wander off next door. If anyone lets their dog wander into my land and they start ripping my horses apart, they too will be shot. If you don't want that to happen to your dogs, keep them under control. If it turns out that the dog is suffering from some health issue which caused it to go off the rails, then take it to the vet and have the vet treat it, or if too far gone, have it pts. The dog is lucky that it was Leeane who was dealing with it, as if it was many other people then it would have been shot on sight. So instead of slagging Leeane off, well done you for caring not just about the deer but the dog also.

Well said!

It's a shame that someone who was just trying to make people aware of what was happening in her area is getting interragated.

Katy
07-Sep-09, 11:03
I can't believe how out of control this post has got.

Well done Leanne, you have done the right thing and I know if ANY farmer seen this it wouldn't have been only the deer that would have got shot.....farmers take dogs worrying animals very seriously.

The police wouldn't come out and shot anyway for everyone who is asking did you contact the police.....they would just tell you get a farmer - like they did!!

I really do hope they find this dog before it causes anymore stress and damage to anything - whether it be animal or human....I know if I seen this Leanne I wouldn't be going anywhere near it as who knows what it would have done to you.

Hope your ok Leanne

Katy xx

northener
07-Sep-09, 11:45

Bang on. (pun intended)

onlyme
07-Sep-09, 12:15
just a question where in watten did this happen "watten" is a very general area especially if you were looking for information on the dog
:confused

unicorn
07-Sep-09, 12:42
Well done Leanne for doing the right thing. It is sad that you have had to suffer the tripe that seems to be doled out here so often these days. Ihope you get to the bottom of it and the dog and owners are found.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 12:49
A doggy took a turn one day
In horsey fields out Watten way
And sank its teeth into a bonny deer
Leanne came on the org to say
The wounded deer had hid away
With puddens hingin’ oot and chewed-up rear

Then on the org came questions thick
Demanding for to know the trick
Just what the lady thought she was aboot
Some claimed her gun demand was sick
Or wanted polis called out quick
Or SSPCA on hand to shoot

And fast descended down the thread
Like those we’ve seen and learned to dread
Where good intentions lead to loss of reason
Some folk to wrong conclusions sped
‘Bout deer and dog, should both be dead?
That lass who started thread committed treason

In other threads the point’s been raised
Our org that once was loved and praised
Has now become a bitter twisted place
Where fear of having ego grazed
Or mild opinions trashed and blazed
Makes many lose the will to show their face

To those who leap on every post
And rip apart till will is lost
Or take offence at every little joke
If politics or sport or ghost
Remember it’s just fun at most
Or else our bonny org goes up in smoke

topotheuk
07-Sep-09, 13:44
Very good, liked it, Tubthumper :o)

balto
07-Sep-09, 14:56
love it tubthumper, well done.[lol]

BINBOB
07-Sep-09, 15:31
(raises eyebrow) why are you having a go at me? stavro. i just asked a question about what would happen to the dog. leanne said that if it came near her horses again she would be forced to protect them, so i assume it was bothering them. now if this had been a child the dog had mauled their would be a very big uproar and hunting the dog down.
now it does concern me that if the dog has a taste for blood, then yes he is dangerous and what is to stop it from having a go at a small person, or even a big person.
ive seen a min. poodle tear someones foot and leg all to pieces. and they are small dogs.
any dog can do major damage no matter what the breed is. and as far as spaniels go, they can suffer from spaniel rage.

That is a whole different ball game,brandy............;)

BINBOB
07-Sep-09, 15:37
I don't know where people are getting this idea that spaniels are harmless. As puppies they are notorious for chewing stuff. We had friends in college who got a spaniel puppy when they got married, and left it unattended during the day, as they both worked. One day the dog, not yet half grown, wrecked the place. He hadn't just destroyed furniture. He had eaten his way into the walls (old style lath & plaster) wherever there was an outside corner. There were huge holes all over the flat. (Don't get me started on the foolishness of keeping a dog in a flat all day.)

The US Post Office lists dogs biting posties by breed, and the spaniel is always near the top of the list. I know, that pit bull is going to do you more damage, but the spaniels seem more keen.

Toatally disagree with that comment..............had spaniels myself for 30 years............hardly everv seen a postie,let alone get a chance to bite.
It hhas not yet been CONFIRMED that it was a spaniel..............wait until if/when said dog is caught.I my opinion,whatever breed it is,it should be put to sleep.
It should not be given another chance .And I love my dogs,who are lovingly cared for and have never managed to escape from my property,ever!
It again goes back to OWNERS.
Well done,Leanne.U did ur very best.;)

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 16:40
By all means have your questions

Thanks telfordstar, I will, because in that way we are finally getting some facts clear.

This thread was started with a hearsay claim against a dog. It was implied, explicitly or implicitly, that this same dog had been "worrying horses." This whole thread then tended to drift into wild allegations about ripping horses open, biting postmen, munching a lab's head, chewing through walls and so on.

It is a fact that we have not identified the dog.

It is a fact that we have not identified the breed of dog.

It is a fact that we have not even been told where to look for the alleged injured deer, nor for the alleged dog.

It is a fact that we live under Scottish Law.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 16:49
Does anyone know the identity of the loose springer attacking livestock in Watten? It has ripped the undercarriage out of a deer and is currently terrorising sheep and horses. We are trying to locate some with a gun to put the deer out of its misery as it is beyond treatment.

Does anyone know whos dog it is? We really need help from the owner to catch the dog. I'm afraid if the dog goes near my horses again I will have to protect them!
There it is. Someone quickly using all available means to prevent a nasty situation getting nastier. Another useful use for the org which no-one in their right mind will henceforth use.
Huh!

davie
07-Sep-09, 17:03
There seems to be a few right plonkers on e .org these days

northener
07-Sep-09, 17:06
Thanks telfordstar, I will, because in that way we are finally getting some facts clear.

This thread was started with a hearsay claim against a dog. It was implied, explicitly or implicitly, that this same dog had been "worrying horses." This whole thread then tended to drift into wild allegations about ripping horses open, biting postmen, munching a lab's head, chewing through walls and so on.

It is a fact that we have not identified the dog.

It is a fact that we have not identified the breed of dog.

It is a fact that we have not even been told where to look for the alleged injured deer, nor for the alleged dog.

It is a fact that we live under Scottish Law.

A pointless, quote twisting, ill-informed and ignorant post from a complete idiot.

Scottish Law - my arse. Blustering witless pontification more like.

Go away.

Ash87
07-Sep-09, 17:19
Leanne,

I hope you've recovered from your ordeal yesterday! It sounds awful, you certainly did the right thing and your attemp at finding the deer to put it out it's misery shows what an animal lover you are :)

Oh and i certainly wouldnt be taking any notice of Sherlock 'Stavro' Holmes doubting you! :lol:

See you soon mrs :Razz

Ashley

Alice in Blunderland
07-Sep-09, 18:10
A pointless, quote twisting, ill-informed and ignorant post from a complete idiot.

Scottish Law - my arse. Blustering witless pontication more like.

Go away.

Thats what I like to see northener calling a spade a spade and no mincing his words. :lol:

Leanne
07-Sep-09, 18:26
Just a quick update - sadly no update on dog or deer :(

I've just checked on the horses and foals and all seem ok - my land is a mess from the horses doing laps at a million miles an hour yesterday though...:roll: Grazing further reduce

Bizarrely I also went to the bottom field to find out why the cats have been spending so much time with the horses this week and found this!

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/l34nn3_k4ut/Photo1328.jpg

The s have ate all the big ones and just left the tiddlers!

Go away.

You took the words out of my mouth!

Does Stavros work for the courier by any chance? Very tabloid hackish...

catran
07-Sep-09, 18:34
Has any farmer found the dead deer as of yet? Where abouts at Watten did this terrible incident happen? The dog must be local or otherwise someone would have found it surely? It must have been horrific to see the poor animal in such distress. Was it a big one or a small one?. What about the horses have they calmed down? Must be stressful having to keep watch incase it returns to do more damage.

unicorn
07-Sep-09, 19:31
The dog certainly does not need to be local. It could have been abandoned, happens all the time sadly.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 20:17
It seems that over Watten way
Some things are happ’ning queer
A fishy tale, an unseen dog
A disappearing deer

This afternoon a panic reigned
Leanne was quick off mark
Swift racing to her horses aid
On hearing unknown bark

And after all the melee settled
Fuss had all died down
And irate orgers called for quiet
From the Stavro clown

The mystery I’ve now decoded
After just one beer
Bambi was quite blind you see
He was a ‘no idea’

Those haddies found were also blinded
As they had no eyes
The puns come thick and fast you see
They’re Fshh – there’s a surprise

The dog however had no nose
I asked ‘How did he smell?’
‘Quite awful, deer’ said Bambi
‘and the Fshes stank as well.’

The mutt that caused the trouble was
A soft-mouthed chancer, very
A spaniel, and apparently
Called Springer, first name Gerry

The only one that gained today
Those Fsh were fresh and juicy
Quite stuffed to gills and feeling fine
Was Leanne’s friendly er… cat

Tonight in Watten all is calm
The animals are quiet
They’re knackered after all the fun
The deer-dog-fishy riot

The org as well is all subdued
There’s dread and pain and fear
Will all stay friendly through the night
Or will Stavro reappear?

Perhaps Leanne will take the hump
And just for orger fun
She'll put deer Stavro out of pain
If she finds that blasted gun!

davie
07-Sep-09, 20:49
Mr Thumper or may I call you Tub - You are certainly quite a poet with a brand of humour something like my own. I just dont have the wit(s) to do the pomes.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 21:03
Oh go on, give it a try Davie - disnae matter if its poor at first!

Leanne
07-Sep-09, 21:06
Brilliant Tubthumber! Like it muchly :)

M R
07-Sep-09, 21:21
All i can say to this thread is : :roll:

Some people should not have the internet : :roll:

Serious thread, turned into a questionare, full of so called professionals : :roll:

De-ja-vu. Car, Dog, Bumper. Damage, POLICE, POLICE, POLICE.

If i am in watten, i will hunt for this rabbid dog, wrestle with it, once i have it beaten, i will call the police and have it arrested for GBH.

Leanne
07-Sep-09, 21:26
All i can say to this thread is :

Some people should not have the internet :

Serious thread, turned into a questionare, full of so called professionals :

If i am in watten, i will hunt for this rabbid dog, wrestle with it, once i have it beaten, i will call the police and have it arrested for GBH.

How helpful of you :roll:

I bet you got upset that you could only use 3 :roll:

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 21:28

Serious thread, turned into a questionare, full of so called professionals : :roll:

My god, we've had deer, dogs, fish, horses - now rabbids...

Leanne
07-Sep-09, 21:29

And bumpers - that's a new one on me... Never seen a bumper yet

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 21:31
Bumper - wasn't he the rabbid in Bambi?

ett23
07-Sep-09, 21:43
Bumper - wasn't he the rabbid in Bambi?

Yeah I think he was Thumper's big brother....

Dog-eared
07-Sep-09, 21:58
I'm sure that most breeds of dog would revert to their instincts and go for a wounded deer . They cannot help that. Especially if they were roaming around unsupervised.
Dogs are not toys.

catran
07-Sep-09, 21:59
Well it is not a nice situation, dog on the loose terrorising animals. I, being a country person have seen it happen with a neighbour's so called soft mouthed, well disciplined dog going after the sheep, not funny at all especially at lambing time. I do understand Leanne's concern n case it happens again. Hopefully the dog can be identified in the not too distant future.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 22:02
Hopefully the dog can be identified in the not too distant future.
And the fish. Also the no-eye deer.
We've got Bumper the Rabbid identified though. And Gerry the Springer.

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 22:17

Go away.

north"e"ner (eee lad, thee could do wi' some spelling lessons), your post is not relevant to the claims being made, nor is it of any value.

The mystery, wandering, vicious springer spaniel "like" dog was last seen ... where? No one seems to want to answer this question.

So, the MWVSSL dog remains innocent until proven guilty. I therefore conclude my defence for this dog and will submit my claim for expenses from its owner just as soon as I can locate said person.

The alleged dog (which has not even been identified by type) deserves to be defended against hatred and ignorance that leaps to conclusions without first ascertaining all of the facts/truth.

I have done my bit for our canine friend who cannot speak for itself.

Now some of you on here can get back to your own contributions of so-called "poetry" and dubious language.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 22:29
I think the point, my Stavran friend
Related to the fact
Leanne raised thread in haste to deal
With biting dog in act

'Does anybody know this dog?'
Is question fair I think
'We'd like to stop it eating horses
And deer blood to drink!'

Your queries were misplaced I fear
Who cares about detail
While mutt is chomping venison
And flossing teeth with tail

As luck would have the situation
Dog cleared off in haste
Perhaps the deer (who also cleared)
Was not to Springer's taste

But point is this - Why doubt the thread
The org can help discover
If local folk ken owner dog
Maybe chewed deer recover

Too many folk these days come here
And start by wiring in
They pick holes in the spelling and
Throw humour in the bin

And then you did the worst of all
You said my pomes were poor
I'm hurt! I'm leaving! Had enough
(Walks out and slams the door)

catran
07-Sep-09, 22:46
Well it is not a nice situation, dog on the loose terrorising animals. I, being a country person have seen it happen with a neighbour's so called soft mouthed, well disciplined dog going after the sheep, not funny at all especially at lambing time. I do understand Leanne's concern n case it happens again. Hopefully the dog can be identified in the not too distant future.

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 22:48
And then you did the worst of all
You said my pomes were poor
I'm hurt! I'm leaving! Had enough
(Walks out and slams the door)

Nice one. Had to laugh.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 22:49
Er... Groundhogs as well??

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 22:50
Nice one. Had to laugh.

I'm glad. Are you human?

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 22:55
I'm glad. Are you human?

Canine. Are you speciesist?

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 22:59
Oh my GOD! You're Gerry the Springer! It was YOU all along!

Stavro
07-Sep-09, 23:00
Oh my GOD! You're Gerry the Springer! It was YOU all along!

The game's up. It's a fair cop! Gotta go!

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 23:01
Hey, what happened to Bambi?

crayola
07-Sep-09, 23:16

Go away.
Oh come on Northener tell us what you really think instead of beating around the bush being kind to him. :confused

Do you think there may be a grudge or a vested interest at play here? Up until yesterday he posted 29 times in 2 years and 2 months of membership of the Org but now he's posted 20 times in little over 24 hours. Could he be a springer scorned? :confused

im behind you
07-Sep-09, 23:33
omg thought i better get this on here but as i was walking down kennedy terr today. i seen a cat attack a mouse i dont know who's it was but i tryed my best to shoo the cat away but i was to late the mouse had died i hope some one owns up please.

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 23:33
Or a Springer Sprung??

Tubthumper
07-Sep-09, 23:36
omg thought i better get this on here but as i was walking down kennedy terr today. i seen a cat attack a mouse i dont know who's it was but i tryed my best to shoo the cat away but i was to late the mouse had died i hope some one owns up please.
He was my mouse. I called him Mickey. We'd been together since we were kids. I hope you're happy.

crayola
07-Sep-09, 23:44
Or a Springer Sprung??
The spaniel was said to be loose not sprung. :D

Anyways how do we know the springer was loose? Who questioned its morals to ascertain this? :confused

dx100uk
07-Sep-09, 23:52

sorry but doing that they deserved all they got!

dx

al
08-Sep-09, 00:02
I don't really have anything worthwhile to add to the discussion, but considering everyone else in Caithness has posted in this thread - I thought I should as well.

joxville
08-Sep-09, 00:04
I haven't....ooo....er. Bye :eek:

Tubthumper
08-Sep-09, 00:05
Anyways how do we know the springer was loose? Who questioned its morals to ascertain this? :confused
It was caught in the act. Apparently the other participant was dear. The facts speak for themselves ma'am.

Nettie
08-Sep-09, 00:16
Hi Leanne
I just wanted to say WELL DONE for bringing this serious situation to everyones attention. I tried to send private message but your inbox is full - I did not want to reply to the post as it has got completely out of hand!! [disgust]
You did what every animal loving person should do and I am sorry you have had so much stress over it all. Although I live in Dunnet it is not beyond the reach of a roaming dog so I shall keep my eyes open for it ... I doubt that the deer will make it this far given the extent of its injuries, my only hope is that it has since died and is no longer suffering.
I hope all your animals have now recovered from the ordeal and that you haven't been put off by the hurtful comments that have been posted .... if it happens again LET US KNOW!
Nettie

©Amethyst
08-Sep-09, 11:12
for someone else that posted on this thread i would like to point out that sarcasm doesnt come across very well unless you actually try to use punctuation otherwise it just looks like a load of ramblings actually punctuation will probably make it sound to us like it does in your head and the way that you intend it to be read

Uh oh, I found it really hard to type that without any capitals even!

elamanya
08-Sep-09, 12:12

GBH
growling, barking, harrasing ??

northener
08-Sep-09, 16:25
north"e"ner (eee lad, thee could do wi' some spelling lessons), your post is not relevant to the claims being made, nor is it of any value.

The mystery, wandering, vicious springer spaniel "like" dog was last seen ... where? No one seems to want to answer this question.

So, the MWVSSL dog remains innocent until proven guilty. I therefore conclude my defence for this dog and will submit my claim for expenses from its owner just as soon as I can locate said person.

The alleged dog (which has not even been identified by type) deserves to be defended against hatred and ignorance that leaps to conclusions without first ascertaining all of the facts/truth.

I have done my bit for our canine friend who cannot speak for itself.

Now some of you on here can get back to your own contributions of so-called "poetry" and dubious language.

I'll bow before your superhuman "innocent dog" defending powers.....once I've finished laughing, that is.

I know where there's a cat that's eaten a budgie, care to speak on its behalf?

davie
08-Sep-09, 17:17
Sadly this thread has wandered away and is becoming lost in that Bermuda Triangle aka the .org.
We started off with a springer spanial type dowg - that dowg has now become a 'rabbid dowg', now to the best of my limited knowledge a 'rabbid' or 'rabbad' dowg is usually a lurcher type, nothing like a springer. If in fact there has been a typo and it is actually a 'rabid' dowg thats a whole different story, 'rabid' dowgs are usually found in the East and for me Watten is East. If you are a Weeker of course its West and you would not expect to see a rabid dowgie in the West. Plenty Teainabowlies are a bit rabid but thats a whole different story.
Of course then we have a Greek type chiel who is a dowg defence lawyer in the mould of Ironside, a punktuation polis in the shape of a semi-precious stone, or Amethyst if you want, a Public Prosecutor of dowgs currently living in a creel somewhere near Week. A poet from Sherbets and of course Leanne who started this entire public enquiry and still retains her sense of humour. And then there is me wondering what the heck the .org is coming too.

©Amethyst
08-Sep-09, 17:27
Punctuation police? Nooo... just a mick-taker!

George Brims
08-Sep-09, 19:10
sorry but doing that they deserved all they got!

dx
Well I know that - that's why I said "don't get me started". Now you have. I think they were daft. Mind you he was always daft, even before they got the dog.

northener
08-Sep-09, 19:16
Sadly this thread has wandered away and is becoming lost in that Bermuda Triangle aka the .org.
We started off with a springer spanial type dowg - that dowg has now become a 'rabbid dowg', now to the best of my limited knowledge a 'rabbid' or 'rabbad' dowg is usually a lurcher type, nothing like a springer. If in fact there has been a typo and it is actually a 'rabid' dowg thats a whole different story, 'rabid' dowgs are usually found in the East and for me Watten is East. If you are a Weeker of course its West and you would not expect to see a rabid dowgie in the West. Plenty Teainabowlies are a bit rabid but thats a whole different story.
Of course then we have a Greek type chiel who is a dowg defence lawyer in the mould of Ironside, a punktuation polis in the shape of a semi-precious stone, or Amethyst if you want, a Public Prosecutor of dowgs currently living in a creel somewhere near Week. A poet from Sherbets and of course Leanne who started this entire public enquiry and still retains her sense of humour. And then there is me wondering what the heck the .org is coming too.

:Razz nice one...

I'm hardly a prosecutor of dogs though, me likee doggies*...me no likee dodgy Greek lawyers.......

*Apart from yappy bulgy eyed mutant dwarf dogs that get carried everywhere...shoot the s, shoot some sense into them, I say!

catran
08-Sep-09, 22:03
:Razz nice one...

I'm hardly a prosecutor of dogs though, me likee doggies*...me no likee dodgy Greek lawyers.......

*Apart from yappy bulgy eyed mutant dwarf dogs that get carried everywhere...shoot the s, shoot some sense into them, I say!
Well Northerner, what can I say?????? If I said what I want to say you would book me again. yet you can say what you like it would appear??????

northener
08-Sep-09, 22:18
Well Northerner, what can I say?????? If I said what I want to say you would book me again. yet you can say what you like it would appear??????

Catran, you've completely lost me, I'm afraid.:confused

im behind you
08-Sep-09, 22:32
for someone else that posted on this thread i would like to point out that sarcasm doesnt come across very well unless you actually try to use punctuation otherwise it just looks like a load of ramblings actually punctuation will probably make it sound to us like it does in your head and the way that you intend it to be read

im not sure if your taking the mick out me or not but untill you meet me and see what i look like maybe you should watch what your writing

telfordstar
08-Sep-09, 22:36

Oh here we go again. Another sad person on the org who has nothing better to do than pick on the punctuation of other people. Having read various sarcastic posts on this thread i have to say they all made sense to me.

Oh and by the way, HERES SOME CAPITALS FOR YOU IF THAT WILL KEEP YOU HAPPY!!!!!!

catran
08-Sep-09, 22:42
Oh here we go again. Another sad person on the org who has nothing better to do than pick on the punctuation of other people. Having various sarcastic posts on this thread i have to say they all made sense to me.

Oh and by the way, HERES SOME CAPITALS FOR YOU IF THAT WILL KEEP YOU HAPPY!!!!!!
HERE HERE [lol][lol]

davie
08-Sep-09, 22:43
Will ye all calm doon or I will set my wee dowgie on ye all - Woof

telfordstar
08-Sep-09, 22:46
Will ye all calm doon or I will set my wee dowgie on ye all - Woof
Ahh bless, i wouldna mind he/she is gorgeous!!!!!

Liz
08-Sep-09, 22:52
Ahh bless, i wouldna mind he/she is gorgeous!!!!!

Me neither! What a sweetie your dowg is Davie.:D

08-Sep-09, 23:01
This thread has now veered well off topic & will be closed.