PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a full time student

RandomHero
02-Apr-06, 11:20
Just looking for some advice. Those of you who went on to do higher education, did you find it cheaper living in student halls or just getting a flat with a friend? I no it depends on a lot of factors but was just wondering how your personal experiences were. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

thanks

The Enigma
02-Apr-06, 15:11
I stayed in halls of residence when I went to university and had a brilliant time. Its a great way to make new friends, especially if you are moving to a city where you dont know anyone, though you mention possibly sharing a flat with a friend so I guess you do know people where you are going?

The cost of halls usually includes bills (mine did anyway) so you wont have to worry about that. Taking that into account I think it would work out cheaper than renting a flat. I can't remember what the halls I was in cost me, but I'm sure it was reasonable. You can get flats that are pretty cheap, but going by any I have seen, they are cheap for a reason...

Anyway, I would definately reccomend halls, even if you do know people where you are going. The social aspect is great; if it is your first time away from home its an easier introduction to being out in the big wide world, so to speak; if there are people staying there studying similar courses to you and you get stuck with your coursework theres sure to be someone who can help you out; the halls themselves will be maintained to a certain standard; no worries about bills, buying furniture or dodgy landlords trying to rip you off; etc etc...

RandomHero
02-Apr-06, 15:19
Thanks. Yes, I know quite a few people down there anyways. The halls I'd need to go into would cost about £3000, bearing in mind your only in them for about six months of the year. I know the landlord as she lives up here and she will be giving me a discounted rate. I'd rather live in a flat but it may just not work out.

crashbandicoot1979
02-Apr-06, 16:30
Yup, totally agree with The Enigma. If you can get into halls, go for it. I was lucky enough to stay in halls for the first year and university owned flats for the next 3 years. Loved every minute of it and its definitely the best way to meet people.

_Ju_
02-Apr-06, 16:54
I think starting in a student hall and deciding the next years if you want to continue there is a good idea. The student halls can be noisey, but if you haven't lived away from home, they will stave off loneliness. I had a great time in student halls. Just try to remember there is life beyond any alcool fueled weekends....keep up with corse work so that it does not become (even) more difficult.

canuck
02-Apr-06, 18:26
Just looking for some advice. Those of you who went on to do higher education, did you find it cheaper living in student halls or just getting a flat with a friend? I no it depends on a lot of factors but was just wondering how your personal experiences were. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

thanks

As the mother of two full time students I though that I could get you some useful information from one of them. My daughter has provided the following. Granted it is based on Canadian prices. She is in Toronto, a large city. Her friend Amy is in Kingston, a much smaller city where prices would be a bit less.
When I was at university, I did both, but I prefered living in residence.

Well it [residence] costs me about $4000 a semester (which is 4 months long) which includes food. Brayden pays $500 a month plus food which he pays about $300 a month for. So if you do the math he pays about $3200 for 4 months, but he also has to buy a metro pass every month to commute, which is about $340 for 4 months. So it probably costs slightly less to live in a house. But most houses you have a 1 year contract, which you may not be living in for the summer, so that will probably add the amount up to equivilant of residence over the 2 semesters. It also depends on where the University is. My friends who live walking distance from U of T, I think pay $600 a month. I think Amy in Queens only pays $400 a month and she's 7 minutes away from her class. So it will probably end up being close to the same depending on where the student is going. I hope this helps.

RandomHero
02-Apr-06, 18:54
thanks all for ur responses. they are much appreciated. not sure what i am goin to do. i qualify for tuition fees and bursaries which is always a bonus. thank you again

canuck
02-Apr-06, 19:02
thanks all for ur responses. they are much appreciated. not sure what i am goin to do. i qualify for tuition fees and bursaries which is always a bonus. thank you again

Good luck. These are never easy decisions to make. At least you are starting to think about it now and not waiting until August 31.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Apr-06, 22:09
In my experience,RandomHero spent my first year in the Halls of Residence which gave me a good chance to meet all my fellow student pals.The meals,electricity,etc were included in the price and over a term worked out about £40 a week.

In my second year moved into a flat with three mates from college.Rent,shopping,electricity cost about £60 each a week.The benefit in the flat was that ye felt that it was yir own place and had less rules to abide by, than ye did in the Halls.

AR
03-Apr-06, 13:42
When my sister was at university mum and dad bought her a flat.for the year that she moved home they rented it to a friend.So after a total of 2 years they actually made money from it, that didnt include food and legal fees which they payed for.She got a part time job which payed for her car and hobbies.