PDA

View Full Version : Hercule Poirot

Kodiak
05-Sep-09, 15:43
Anyone watching the Film "13 at Dinner" Starring Perter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot.

What I am finding amusing is that "David Suchet is playing the part of "Inspector Japp"

I wonder if this is where he got his inspiration in playing the part of Herculr Poirot?

Cattach
05-Sep-09, 17:38
Anyone watching the Film "13 at Dinner" Starring Perter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot.

What I am finding amusing is that "David Suchet is playing the part of "Inspector Japp"

I wonder if this is where he got his inspiration in playing the part of Herculr Poirot?

Glad Suchet changed roles as he the very best Poirot by far. Agatha Christie mysteries are great. I like Miss Marple stories too. The best Miss Marple was Margaret Rutherford in the very early black and white '4.50 from Paddington'.

Kodiak
05-Sep-09, 17:49
Glad Suchet changed roles as he the very best Poirot by far. Agatha Christie mysteries are great. I like Miss Marple stories too. The best Miss Marple was Margaret Rutherford in the very early black and white '4.50 from Paddington'.

I agree completely, Margaret Rutherford was the best. I now await to see how Julia McKenzie does in the role, will be interesting.

nightowl
05-Sep-09, 18:03
My favourite Marple will always be Joan Hickman. In my opinion she'll take a lot of beating. Looking forward to seeing Julia McKenzie too.

George Brims
05-Sep-09, 20:50
Agatha Christie herself once said "There's only one actress in England who could play Miss Marple. That's Joan Hickson, but of course she's much too young". That was about thirty years before she eventually did. I thought she was amazing.

I will now go and sit in a gloom for a while thinking of my near-contemporary Julia McKenzie now being old enough to play her.

Cattach
06-Sep-09, 10:46
My favourite Marple will always be Joan Hickman. In my opinion she'll take a lot of beating. Looking forward to seeing Julia McKenzie too.

Maybe you are too young to remember Margaret Rutherford - a real actress!

nightowl
06-Sep-09, 15:15
Maybe you are too young to remember Margaret Rutherford - a real actress!

I'm really quite old Cattach and certainly remember Margaret Rutherford in many films. I always thought she brought a sense of "buffoonery" to the role of Marple - I could never take her seriously. Joan Hickson, on the other hand, and in my opinion only, was "pure" Christie.

Cattach
06-Sep-09, 16:14
I'm really quite old Cattach and certainly remember Margaret Rutherford in many films. I always thought she brought a sense of "buffoonery" to the role of Marple - I could never take her seriously. Joan Hickson, on the other hand, and in my opinion only, was "pure" Christie.

So you are telling me Hickson is believeable!!!

Cattach
06-Sep-09, 22:18

Just finished watching new Miss Marple. Julia MacKenzie was excellent. Better then Joan Hickson I think and Margaret Rutherford too. Good production though rather too many adverts.

kmahon2001
07-Sep-09, 00:07
Just finished watching new Miss Marple. Julia MacKenzie was excellent. Better then Joan Hickson I think and Margaret Rutherford too. Good production though rather too many adverts.

Missed the new one. Didn't know it was on - it certainly doesn't appear to be on STV anyway.[disgust]

As for who is the best, Joan Hickson is the embodiment of Miss Marple and is unlikely to ever be bettered, but Margaret Rutherford is the best for pure entertainment and laughs. Couldn't stand Geraldine McEwan in the role, she just seemed to smirk her way through the whole thing, like she was in on some private joke or other - not at all convincing. It'll be interesting to see how Julia McKenzie does, though. She's a great actress but I still can't believe that she's now old enough to play Miss Marple.:eek: How time flies!

Cattach
07-Sep-09, 07:00
Missed the new one. Didn't know it was on - it certainly doesn't appear to be on STV anyway.[disgust]

As for who is the best, Joan Hickson is the embodiment of Miss Marple and is unlikely to ever be bettered, but Margaret Rutherford is the best for pure entertainment and laughs. Couldn't stand Geraldine McEwan in the role, she just seemed to smirk her way through the whole thing, like she was in on some private joke or other - not at all convincing. It'll be interesting to see how Julia McKenzie does, though. She's a great actress but I still can't believe that she's now old enough to play Miss Marple.:eek: How time flies!

The new Miss Marple was on ITV London shown on Sky or through FreeSat. Do not know why SYTV did not show it, maybe on at a later date. STV seemed to be showing a third rate film.