PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone reception?

sjwahwah
01-Apr-06, 23:26
Anybody here have any opinions about which mobile phone company provides the best & most reliable reception around all of Caithness? o2? vodaphone? orange?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-06, 23:31
I use Vodaphone masel',never usually have a problem.......BUT........a few o' the guys fae work say that the reception hasnae ben too good over the past few weeks.Must be somethin' in the air.[para]

moose and Lindsay
01-Apr-06, 23:33
I have tried all 3 and i have been with o2 the longest and never had any problems at all

Orange was the worst!!

Don't recommend orange its rubbish

But no doubt someone will disagree with me on that 1

sjwahwah
01-Apr-06, 23:46
o2 huh? That is what somebody else told me too. But, I have no idea about anything to do with mobile phones. We want to get a data card for our computer for when we move this summer. We will need phone (skype) & internet because there is no access to regular lines and we are trying to figure out all this network sim stuff. Ever use one of these o2 data cards?

Gogglebox
02-Apr-06, 01:58
i have tried most of them with varying degrees of success, 3 & O2 being terrible and Vodaphone a bit better
Orange has the best reception i have found but does struggle in Thurso when im in the High Street to Harbour area but for some reason gets excellent reception in every other area in the county
I live in Ormlie and for some reason the positioning of my house gives a problem for almost all other receptions, i been checking when people come in an seeing what reception and network is
Its probably best to ask a few people if they are visiting you to see what the signal is like

The other thing to watch if you go online to see what reception you get is make sure when you put your postcode into the reception locater it doesnt come up with a wrong area
Ive found a problem with my Postcode in Thurso actually appears up in Strathy. Its the same on all the companys locators. If you are geting a contract you usually have 7-14 days to check from when it arrives and can put it back

Geo
02-Apr-06, 13:32
Could have been your phone, or you are in a particulalry bad reception area for them as I have been with O2 for over 6 years and the reception is excellent here. Most of my family use them too.

Dali
02-Apr-06, 14:09
o2 huh? That is what somebody else told me too. But, I have no idea about anything to do with mobile phones. We want to get a data card for our computer for when we move this summer. We will need phone (skype) & internet because there is no access to regular lines and we are trying to figure out all this network sim stuff. Ever use one of these o2 data cards?

Well the best card for data would be orange as they give the most free data minutes with there tariffs .
But not that great for a signal .
If you wany free time then tmobile is your best bet .
Non of the mobile data cards i would of thought would be fast enough to provide you with the use of skype.
But it is not worth asking anyone how well there network works you need to try them yourself were you move to.
Your new place could be closer or further from a cell site of any of the providers mentioned, The position of your house the thickness of your walls will all make a diference.

dozerboy
02-Apr-06, 15:10
Depends on where in Caithness you will be using it. Wick and Thurso seem to have good reception, but Watten in bits is very bad.

JimH
03-Apr-06, 20:01
Vodafone has just added another mast in the area. Since then I know of no problems and my phones are busy.
Orange is poor up here.

Whitewater
03-Apr-06, 23:01
Depends on your location, I have found O2 and vodaphone to be the best in Caithness. Difficult to choose between either of them.

angela5
03-Apr-06, 23:14
Depends on your location, I have found O2 and vodaphone to be the best in Caithness. Difficult to choose between either of them.

Vodaphone seems to loose signal more than 02..i've been on 02 for years and never had any problems..:)

krieve
03-Apr-06, 23:27
O2 i can't fault it.... i have had orange,vodafone, t-mobile which is the worst. but i can get a reception pretty much anywhere with O2.

ice box
03-Apr-06, 23:48
yeh 02 cant beat it

Julia
04-Apr-06, 16:15
I agree, O2 is pretty reliable up here.

For a £10 top-up I get 300 free txts a month, I never seem to use £10 a month, takes me about six weeks until I run out of credit and txts but I always get the next 300 free txts as soon as I top up again. Sim cards are usually free too form the O2 website.

bingo1
04-Apr-06, 18:22
I agree, O2 is pretty reliable up here.

For a £10 top-up I get 300 free txts a month, I never seem to use £10 a month, takes me about six weeks until I run out of credit and txts but I always get the next 300 free txts as soon as I top up again. Sim cards are usually free too form the O2 website. I agree that 02 do very good deals but the thing is they dont hold good reception..... I live in Thurso and while in the countryside or in high ormlie i cannot nomatter what i do get any reception!!! Goodluck on what ever you choose but i would go with voda they have never let me down yet!

obiron
04-Apr-06, 18:29
I like vodaphone never had reception problems. would recommend it to anyone.

Geo
05-Apr-06, 01:06
I agree that 02 do very good deals but the thing is they dont hold good reception..... I live in Thurso and while in the countryside or in high ormlie i cannot nomatter what i do get any reception!!! Goodluck on what ever you choose but i would go with voda they have never let me down yet!

Could it be a phone reception problem rather than the network? Have you tried a different phone? I started on Genie, which is now O2 about 7 years back and I've never had any major reception problems. There are of course a few black spots but it's excellent overall.